Mickey's - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 07-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mickey's Alström Bros
Reviews: 321 | Hads: 1,190
1.43/5  rDev -46.6%

DAFUQ! WHY? Once the alcohol destroys your palate, it allows you to get past the chemicals used to make this atrocity. Once the alcohol hits your brain you tend not to give a shit. Low 5.6% abv? I had two 8%ers yeasterday and i didntmfeel this buzzed. Must be the impurities giving me instant hangover? I Hate You Miller!

3.74/5  rDev +39.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Nice change of pace (from time-to-time) away from the IPA's and spiced-up stuff. I lived off Two Dolla' Foties of St. Ides, back in college, for f**** sake!!!! So Mickey's is like--Dom Perignone for me!!!

1.5/5  rDev -44%

I feel like Mickey's fools me twice when I drink it. I get fooled once by getting tricked into those dumbass riddles they put on the caps. I get fooled twice because I end up drinking the malt sludge in the grenade because I feel stupid for not figuring out the phrase "butter face." When Dave Grohl sang the line "Is someone getting the best of you?", I didn't know he was asking about my alcoholism.

1.43/5  rDev -46.6%

DATE TASTED: October 10, 2014... GLASSWARE: Ommegang pokal... OCCASION: O's in the ALCS for the first time since 1997--probably the last time I drank Mickey's... APPEARANCE: brassy golden body that matches the translucence of water; snow-white sudsy head fizzles to a sickly residual; vibrant bubbles at the pour evaporate immediately... AROMA: pitchy, astringent malts; its appeal is purely in the twist cap nostalgia.. PALATE: fizzy, rather oily and sift; gassy, beefy aftertaste; thin and drinkable....TASTE: puckerishly sweet, with a water hose copper coupling overbearing flavor;; some champagne (!) notes; simply not flavorful ... OVERALL: Mickey's will always have a place in my heart--and on our college pong table--but this is a rough one to sip with any sustained interest...

1.5/5  rDev -44%

This pours a clear, yellow color with a slight foamy head. The aroma is mild with cheap grains and yeast. The taste is smooth, flat and surprisingly flavorful for a cheap malt liquor. There’s weak grains throughout and finishes fairly crisp and clean. After a while the aftertaste takes on a bit of an awkward finish but overall fairly decent for its style.

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Rating is propbably higher than it deserves but I have fond memories of sitting in a boat on the lake sipping Mickeys out of their old big mouth bottles. Ah memories..

1.92/5  rDev -28.4%

Best enjoyed with the brown bag from the liquor store still wrapped around it... Ah high school memories... I am not drinking one now as I review it, nor would I ever again, because I learned my lesson all those years ago - cheap, foul tasting, and guaranteed to get you from zero to wasted in no time flat... Though it might be considered by many King of malt liquor, that is not exactly a title to be proud of... That's like being crowned King Turd of Poopopolis on the planet Craptune... Congrats I guess...?

3.71/5  rDev +38.4%

The best thing I've tasted that called itself "malt liquor."

Had a slight cidery taste that reminded me of my own home brew. Was clean and lager-like, not syrupy or sickley like Steel (yuk)

I had a 40 oz bottle and I was sorry to see the bottom.

2.66/5  rDev -0.7%

2012 Micky's Premium Malt Beverage - Reviewed 9/9/2012

Appearance -
Pours a hazy golden color with very visible carbonation. Head dissipates quickly leaving thin remnants to remain. Lacing is disappointing but not non-existent.

Smell -
Very sweet with hints of corn and barley. Alcohol heat is very present in the aroma bit muted.

Taste -
Taste profile of corn, grass, sweetness. Overpowering maltiness on the back end. No hops to speak of with a boozy finish.

Mouthfeel -
Not as thin as is so prevalent in most other malt liquors. Carbonation is a bit overpowering and detracts a bit from the whole experience.

Overview -
I would put this at the top of my "go-to" list when in the 40's isle. Artificiality has really been lost with this brew, however I am a little upset that the 40oz format does not come with the classic brain teaser that the "grenades" do. Don't miss an opportunity to party with Micky.

3.65/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I do not feel right drinking this out of a glass after the effort was made to create a big mouth bottle. I hope they still have jokes under the cap:

A: Fat little green bottle. Beer is clear in there. I bet it is golden-colored.

S: Mineraly and corny with what seems like a very faint hop aroma. Some alcohol aroma as well. This smells better than many other malt liquors

T: Not a ton of flavor of any kind - refreshing though. Faint cory grain flavors with a slightly hoppy finish. Finish is long and a little bitter. No alcohol sting like other cheaper strong beers. Finish is quite nice here.

MF: Light bodied and moderately carbonated. Prickly on the tongue. No heat, no creaminess.

O: Cleaner and more flavorful than many strong lagers I have tried. This is very refreshing and surprisingly nicely put together.

3.81/5  rDev +42.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pale gold from the 24 ounce can, good amount of white head. Modest retention but a good amount of fine lace.
Aroma is all malts. I am sure they must use some corn but I couldn't smell any. Light amount of grassy hops.
Taste is malty goodness with just a hint of hop bitterness in the finish.
Mouthfeel is light to medium. Just the right amount of carbonation.
Overall an excellent brew for the style almost too good to be a malt liquor. Just think of this as a malt forward AAL.
I first had this about 1970. It had an aluminum flat cap with a pull tab on the green grenade bottle. I had to bump the rating especially for the appearance. The lacing is very impressive.

3.3/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Mickey's brewed by Miller Brewing Co. This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. This brew has some small lace on the side of the glass. Overall, this this not a bad brew for being a malt liquor. The beer goes down smooth , nothing bad about this brew. This brew is more like a American Lager than a Malt Liquor. This brew also has a different after taste- it reminds me of jalapeno pepper juice. I'm not saying that is a bad thing; that is what makes this brew different from the rest.

3.18/5  rDev +18.7%

A-Apple juice gold body. Not as clear and transparent as I thought this would be. A nice chill-haze gives the body a misty look. Rotating the glass one can see glossy traits as well. When held to light the brew becomes bright banana yellow, like Duvel almost. Cloud white two finger head is surprising, thought there would be none. Spotty lacing is shocking as well.

S-Apple skins. Perfume-y, like a lilac. Some grape skins.

T-Corn. Slight sour aftertaste like apple juice. The most anemic bitters are detectable as well. Nothing else really.

M-Low full body. Not watery, a dash creamy. Low full/low high carbonation. Slightly spritz-y. This beer isn't thin nor flat, just too weak in feel. Hardly any bitter and/or sour tastes to speak of in the start, middle and finish.

O-A refreshing malt liquor with enough booze packed in at 5.6%. Purchase level is on a blue moon basis, once a year if that. Beer that can't be paired with food and isn't interesting or tasty enough to sit down and consume on its own. Just chug it away.

3.74/5  rDev +39.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Now this is a good go to malt liquor even though its on the low end of the ABV comparing it to the new high gravity/malt liquors such as hurricane and the steel brewing company.. This is one of a kind and Its a winner all around for a decent price. 7 dollars for a 12 pack after tax, so what if your friends drink that fancy stuff like MGD or High Life, Budweiser, Coors! Dont let it bother you if you want to bring it to a party and dig in! Keep it real! with Mickeys Malt Liquor!

3.22/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Ample carbonation both big ol' ginger ale style bubbles, medium and thin stream of carbonation. It's something I've never really seen before in a beer. A single finger of head stick around moderately well and produces a good amount of lace. The body is Lager gold.

Smell: What smell? I'm catching faint whiffs of Lager wet straw malt, and that's it. Nothing offensive here, but notably absent and boring.

Taste: This is an odd one...mainly because I wouldn't call it flavourful by any means. I mean it's basically a mixture of various lager malts and adjuncts that seem to calmly level out with a slight citrus and dusty taste to it. The hops are non-exsistant, but somehow they've worked the fair potent alcohol kick into substituting and doing a bang up job of it, as the more solvent aspect seems non existent. Maybe I'm being generous here...but the beer, despite not being overtly flavourful has this well done, professional taste to it.

Mouthfeel: Well the dustiness is a bit of a drag, but the carbonation is well done and doesn't go overboard, the aftertaste is very mild straw malt. The transitioning is good at keeping the beer a very steady drinking experience.

Drinkability: Thankfully this beer is surprisingly medium bodied, which prevents you from really packing it away oddly enough. It's easy to drink, but there is certainly a subtle aspect that the 5.5% stays in the back of your head.

Final Thoughts: With a slogan like "Mickey's - Get Stung" I was really expecting this to be an awful, high ABV solvent, get you drunk as cheaply and quickly as possible beer. However, what I found was really a cream of the crop stronger, adjuct lager that was done exceptionally well. There's honestly not a lot I can find fault with on this one.

2.82/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

As you can see from the label, Mickey’s is “Fine Malt Liquor”. So imagine a scenario where your buddy offers you a beer, while apologizing, saying something like, “Sorry. All I got is Mickey’s”. You might hesitate, knowing full well it isn’t the best tasting beer around and it will probably give you a headache before the night is over. But then, remembering the label, you can shrug your shoulders, extend your arm to grab yours and say, “It’s fine.”

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Enjoyed in the iconic wide-mouthed green bottle with riddle: "2 + picture of a hen + a picture of two animals that look like either cats or pigs + a picture of a winged insect" ... A fly! Got it! Extremely pale (just barely yellow) and uber-carbonated malt liquor with a sweet dank malt aroma like an old grainery full of corn husks. Ample corn on the nose is followed by the same on the palate, very sweet like old corn or corn syrup. A little fruity as well, maybe some almost vanilla-like floral notes. Extremely thin bodied and recalls soda water in this regard. Finish also pretty sweet with no discernible hop presence and a few fusel aromatics ... Not as much of the latter as higher ABV malt liquors. In all honesty this is not horrible if you realize beforehand what this beer style is supposed to embody: A sweet alcoholic tasting fizz bomb for mass consumption. I am tempted to try a Colt .45 now.

2.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Sampled 9/29/13. Chilled down to 36 degrees in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass. It's been over 20+ years since I had one of these. Comes in a cool green 'barrel' bottle with a wide cap. Doesn't have the alcohol content listed. Probably around 5.5% I would think.

Pours a clear golden-yellow with a 2+-finger white foamy head. Left lots of lacing when sipped. Good carbonation. The aroma was of grains with a light 'skunky' smell. The taste was better than the smell and wasn't as harsh I thought it might be for a 'malt liquor.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

I've never poured this out into a glass but always drank from the green stumpy bottle.

Smell for me, basically, is sweet malt and lager. Nothing offensive at all considering it comes out of a green bottle. And never was.

Taste is a not overly sweet malt and maybe some corn adjunct.

Malt beverage on the heavier side of medium. Otherwise crisp and clean.

Every now and then at a summer bbq, someone pulls out a Mickey's Big Mouth from the way back machine. Had a lot of these in the 80's and have always been impressed with their "ahead of their time" innovated bigger mouth format. Hard to session this but always fun to drink and hey, @ $4 a 6pk who could go wrong.

Picked up a single Big Mouth off the sale rack at Vons (50% off). I hadn't had it since high school in the early 80's.

It was much sweeter than I remembered with no hop flavor.

Drank 8 oz. before pouring the remainder out.

Glad I tried it but won't be trying it again anytime soon.

2.52/5  rDev -6%

Mickey's grenade was my first beer, ever. To this day, my pals and I call this "skunk beer". The smell is awful; I guess that's what makes it unique. The taste is malty and thick and hits you like a brick. Couldn't drink more than 3 at a time, but looked forward to an inexpensive, cold beer at the end of a hard day's work. If you're looking for a unique, cheap beer that has it's own smell and flavor... look no further.

1.55/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. grenade bottle, with best by date on the side August 12. 2013. Didn't really realize that this was a Miller product, although it hardly surprises me. No abv listed anywhere on the bottle. Have had this beer before and while it isn't the greatest, I've got some fond memories of drinking this stuff at parties back in the day, though.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a pretty damn thin crystal clear yellow water color, with some carbonation visible. One finger of bone white head. I should have left it in the bottle. Some thin wispy lacing.

S - Cheap dusty malts & some corn adjuncts.

T - Taste is the same. Cheap malt, corn adjuncts, and wet cardboard / newspaper. Definitely should have left this in the bottle.

M - Feel is watery and papery, somewhat sticky.

Overall, a beer that is best enjoyed straight from the bottle, ice cold, preferably after you've already drunk yourself into a stupor, and a beer that is mainly bought for the novelty factor. Probably also best if you enjoy this beer quickly, and get it over with as fast as possible.

Mickey's ---1.5/5

3.27/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I've had this a time or two before, and consider it the best malt liquor available in my area. Today we finally had a nice day, and a tall boy of Mickey's seemed just the ticket....I pour it into a sampler and put the rest in the fridge to keep it cold. Otherwise, you have to drink it down pretty fast, before it gets too warm...

You have to pour carefully, because it produces a tall, billowy head even when ice cold. (I suppose it's not meant to be poured). The head sticks to the glass and will stay there until washed away. The color is pale golden. I smell grain, corn mash, and a hint of hops. The taste is smooth, but with much more flavor than typical adjunct brew, with a slight hop bitterness in the aftertaste, along with a slight bit of citrus and alcohol.

In my opinion, this is the smoothest and most flavorful malt liquor available in my area. I like to carry one of these around uptown Butte on St. Patrick's Day, or pick up a tall boy at my local convenience store on a hot day, while painting or mowing the lawn.

4.77/5  rDev +78%

Really liked this beer. Very flavorable I can appreciate. Not like other high rated beers that have a very tart taste. Bought the 40oz bottle just to try. Thought I'd taste then throw it out. The price was so low. Wrong!!! Just the right amount @ 40 oz. and a flavor I enjoy.

3.52/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

One of my favorite malt beer. It needs to be drank cold and keep it cold. If it gets warm watch out.

Appearance - Pours a clear dark golden/copper color

Small - The malts smell really good.. Has a sweet aroma, with corn and malts being most dominant.

Taste - It taste sweet, very much taste the malt and corn . It has a bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - .Crisp, sharp and dry with a light bodied

Overall - This is one of the my favorite malt liquors. I drank for years still does the job,

Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.