Mickey's - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 07-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mickey's Alström Bros
Reviews: 321 | Hads: 1,190
2.76/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thru highschool and beyond this was the 40 of choice for us hooligans on the eastside of Cincinnati,but even as times change This is still the best tasteing malt liquor around. it has a nice golden pour, a bit skunky in the scent but for the price and outcome[cheap thrills] what can you expect.

1.11/5  rDev -58.6%

Discovered this beer in college. The liquor store had a never-ending special on six packs. Didn't mind it at first, although I didn't care for the sweet flavor and aftertaste. We drank so much of this stuff (because it was cheap, you see) that more than twelve years have gone by and I still get nauseous when I see it at the store. Nasty stuff!

3.23/5  rDev +20.5%

Probably the best cheap brew I've ever had so far. It comes in a neat barrel like green bottle. It pours an impressive slightly darker gold with a big frothy head that disappears quickly and leaves a lot of lacing on my special beer glass. The smell is average, macro lagerish. The taste is pretty good. It has a very strong taste of cereal malts and little bit of adjunct sweetness, but not gross sweet like Camo. Camo, God help us all. Anyway not very much hops but enough to keep that sweet taste from getting out of control. It is isn't watery, and considering the bite the taste carries it is fairly drinkable, extremely clean, and has no aftertaste. I may have a new cheap beer.

2.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Mickey's, in the famous green grenade bottle. This isn't a quality beer by any means, nor is it to be treated as such. This is strictly a session beer, one to drink before a football game or at a frat party. It's actually a pretty good beer as far as session beers go; I'd rather have a Mickey's than a Beast (Milwaukee's Best). Though I can't give this beer a good score (it sucks compared to any decent beer), it is good for what it is intended for... it'll get you drunk, and won't make you gag while doing it.

2.9/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz short fat bottle. This pours a clear yellow color. The smell is clean and malty. The taste too is malty but overall it has this nasty sweet aftertaste. The mouthfeel is sorta sticky and watery. It is fairly drinkable, for a few at least. The taste after that sorta grinds at my patience.

1.63/5  rDev -39.2%

An american malt liquor, only good for drink with buddies, the mexican are not goods for drink malt liquor, but is good for try with american food, its penetrate hops and malt aroma and its generous grade of alcohol, made perfect for drink slow in a glass mug; i not recommended this beer.

2.38/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This little bee/beer with give you a buzz. Do you get the pun that I put in there? This beer has a nice yellow color, a thin head, medium levels of carbonates and a sweet, barley-corn aftertaste. Just about the only reason I drink it is for a change of pace... and it is inexpensive.

This is the type of beer to drink with popcorn, chips, pizza and junk food. This is not a beer to order by name in a restaurant unless you want to raise eyebrows. This is not a woman’s beer, and it is not a sissy beer. This is the beer for guys who are in the “I want to scratch my crotch, surf 1000 channels of crap on the satellite and get stinking drunk” mood.

Not exactly recommended, but at the same time recommended if you are cheap.

2.81/5  rDev +4.9%

The classic "Mickey's Big Mouth" ...

Clear light straw color with a large bubbled white head at first and active carbonation thruout leaves a thin white head. All adjunct aroma and flavor with nothing else to speak of but not bad compared to other Malt Liquors... Light-medium bodied for the style with a dry "husky" "malty" finish.

Per Miller website:
157 calories
11.2 g carb
1.2 g protein

($3.99 / 6-pack of short wide grenade-like green bottles with a wide opening and a large gold twist cap)

3.01/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This is actually a favorite malt liquor of mine. Maybe it is a combination of the cool packaging (probably the coolest label and cap combo on the planet), and the psuedo-palatable beer within the green glass 40 bottles. Bright clear gold color, head retention is pretty good. Taste is somewhat unpleasent, but is drinkable compared with other malt liquors. Decent hop finish for a malt liquor. One of my favorites, cheap and easy to drink, if that is your thing.

3.83/5  rDev +42.9%

Mickey's is a classic, I love this stuff. Get's you feeling right & doesn't break the bank doing so. Smooth as silk & cheap as dirt. It's no Westy 12, but for a buck twenty, it can't be beat. The boys at Miller may not always come up with winners, but they sure as shit did here.

2.29/5  rDev -14.6%

Had a much better head than the coors I had. Somewhat suprising if you ask me, but still has that urine color.

Smell was urea when poured in a glass... urinal cakes anyone?

Taste wasnt so bad. Didn't taste like urine at all.

Goes down decently, but not super drinkable at all.

1.73/5  rDev -35.4%

Long night of drinking last night so I need something to help ease me in coming down. This is the only thing available. Looks yellow and fizzy with a decent head. This really shouldn't be poured into the glass, its a drink from the bottle type beer. Smell is all corn and piss. Taste brings me more corn and piss and maybe some alcohol though its not as boozy as some other malt liquors I've had. This reminds me of Miller High Life but in a bad way. Very rough, don't even think about drinking this warm. There's better malt liquors out there.

3.38/5  rDev +26.1%

This beer pours( this was the first time I had it in a glass) golden and clear has a one finger head with no retention or lacing to speak of. The aroma was of sweet malt with hints of grassy hops. The taste is malty sweet with corn syrup hiding in the background(remember this is a malt liquor). Its medium bodied moderately carbonated and quite drinkable.

Reflection: When I first tried Mickey's it was still in the 12oz, grenade shaped, wide mouthed bottles with pop tops! Even when I was in high school I thought Bud and Coors were awful so my beer of choice was Mickey's. I'm giving this beer props, thanks to Mickey's I've always gone against the grain and I've never been afraid to try something different in the beer world.

This is better than a mass produced lager. It is cheap, thin, faintly hopped... more like some hops died and some tortured ghost was left behind, not very malty, and smooth... once upon a time. It's better than drinking... battery acid or an O'Douls.
It's a flavored malt beverage, without the flavor... and it's almost a beverage. I think I'm going to find some benedryl and take a nap, Iv'e been stung by six little mickey's... If I'm lucky, I'll dream of newport storms.

2.13/5  rDev -20.5%

"one night frank was on his way home
from work, stopped at the liquor store,
picked up a couple of mickey's big mouths,
drank 'em in the car on his way to the
shell station; he got a gallon of gas in a can.

drove home, doused everything in the
the house, torched it.
parked across the street laughing,
watching it burn, all halloween
orange and chimney red".

That's from the classic song 'Frank's Wild Years' which is on the classic (aren't they all?) Tom Waits album Swordfishtrombones. It was the first time I'd ever heard of Mickey's Big Mouth Malt Liquor. My only regret is that this review will come from a 24 oz. can, not a Big Mouth bottle.

Crystal clear straw yellow beneath a voluminous cap of dirty white froth that displays impressive persistance and lays down a surprising, though still underwhelming, amount of lace. The sweet, corny, grainy nose manages to avoid offending. It ain't much, but then anyone drinking this beer is unlikely to give a shit (I'm conducting research and 'horizon expansion' and wish to be excluded from that group).

It's difficult to distinguish this beer from other macro lagers. Yeah, I know that it's a malt liquor, but it doesn't strike me as that much different from the lower octane beer; maybe because of the low ABV. It's tastes of sweet grain, bitter grain and sour grain (the trifecta!) with a light, verging on watery, body. The beer is slightly skunky, but that seems to be part of its... ahem... charm. At least there's no deterioration with warming. That's an admirable quality, right? Of course, it wouldn't have far to go in a downward direction.

Maybe Mickey's is better from a big mouth bottle (or a chalis?). Maybe it was better before Miller began brewing it. Who knows? Who cares? Don't expect much and I promise you, that's exactly what you'll get.

3.08/5  rDev +14.9%

16 oz. Tall boy can with no date. Billed as a “Fine Malt Liquor” and noting it was Union Made.
Aroma: Mild, with slight whiff of apples and a minor adjunct smell, maybe rice.
Appearance: Bright, clear pale yellow, with an impressive multi-sized head that slowly collapsed into a rocky moonscape. While it didn’t go the distance, it did leave some solid lace.
Flavor: Fairly clean, a solid lager taste with the apple taste coming into the front. Decent finish as well with the fruity note lingering a touch long.
Mouthfeel: Full bodied, about a medium in my book, which given the clarity I found impressive. Good carbonation level.
Overall Impression: This is the first Malt Liquor review, and I feel quite the pimp just drinking it. Considering all that, and the fact this is a Miller product (DAMN YOU MILLER for Celis) I’m pleasantly surprised. No real off flavors, no harsh edges, no alcohol burn, I actually prefer this to most American Lagers. Now, let’s not go crazy, this isn’t going to win over any head to head with just about any craft brew you can name; but for what it is, it’s rather good. Given I paired it with a very good Texas chili helped, and on it’s own it just doesn’t shine, but I can see myself going pimping more often.
Respect beer beeatch.

3.78/5  rDev +41%

this stuff brings me back like all the way to thanksgiving last year. I think this is some of the best malt liquir on the market. it tastes a little sweet and unlike some others it dosenot taste like flavored beer. and its way cheaper than "Smirnof Ice" its under $9 for a 12 pack of those really cool midget green bottles with the recloseable top.

2.35/5  rDev -12.3%

Looks like stuff I typically try to avoid. Smells kinda nasty, not awful, but certainly nothing like the high dollar 8%abv imports I'm used to. Taste is tolerable for one thing and the only reason I bought it. It's cheap as hell, and you can get trashed quickly and easily, or so I've been told...we'll see. Someone jokingly suggested I get a six-pack and knock it out. So here goes. The only good thing I have discovered so far is that one can consume a ton of this stuff if you can get passed the skunky smell and 'High Life' like taste.
okay..it's been about 12 minutes since I wrote this review, and after having two of these God da** things, all I can say is that this sh*t's for grown folks! Taste like sh***y beer, smells the same, but get's you trashed quick fast and in a hurry!

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance- Pale, watered down looking with weak head

Smell- Typical macro beer smell with some extra stink thrown in

Taste- Not bad for a malt liquor, sweet, but not overpoweringly so

Drinkability- For a malt liquor Mickey's is easy enough to drink quite a few of

Mickey's is a little better than the few other malt liquors I've had, but that isn't saying too much. I guess if your goal is to "get hammered" Mickey's wouldn't be a bad choice, craft beer lovers will want to pass this up.

3.02/5  rDev +12.7%

Not only did I pour a little out for my homie, I poured some out to take a look at it in a glass...which I've never done before. Good one finger head with an aggressive pour. It looks highly carbonated and golden yellow, and I'm surprised to see some hints of lace sticking to the sides of the glass. The smell is a little sweet with a hint of granny smith. The taste is sweet, with a faint alcohol taste, and more full than I remembered or expected. It's much better out of the 40oz bottle than a glass. Nostalgia may be playing a role in my review, but I doubt it. Very drinkable and better than I thought it would be after so many years.

1.5/5  rDev -44%

Lets face the facts, people drink malt liquor to get f&*^#ed up more quickly, they don't drink it for the taste. So I ask this question why drink Mickey's when it tastes the same as all other malts and is lower in alcohol volume by 3%. The apperance is very straw yellow with no head and no lacing. The smell is of funky meat and grain. Taste is heavy on the grain, weak on malts and hops, tastes a little metallic as well. Feels flat and dull in the mouth. Drinkable if you are so messed up you accidentally purchase this. Listen drink 2 bombers of Arrogant Bastard instead, better tasting by far and more alcohol volume.

2.01/5  rDev -25%

Appearance – Light orange in color and very clear with a lot of carbonation and a decent head.

Smell – The familiar alcohol-laced grainy mishmash of the malt liquor family is alive and kicking in this Miller offering.

Taste – This taste like The Champagne of Beers with a shot of gin. The flavor is subtle (read, “tastes like watered-down piss") and the booze is overbearing.

Mouthfeel – It looked heavily carbonated, but this ale was flat and thin.

Sinkability – This bomber bombed.

2.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Straw yellow appearance with decent white lace on the glass but no real head.

No discernible aroma- likely a plus in malt liquor.

Grainy taste but not unpleasant.
Meager mouth feel leading to easy drinkability.

Another variation from the House of High Life beer factory in Milwaukee!

2.55/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pour a clear yellow beer, pretty much what I expected.

Smell is mildly malty and grainy, no off flavors.

Taste is slightly sweet and is mostly of grain. Not as bad as it could be.

Mouthfeel is thicker than expected.

It is as drinkable as any other macrobrew.

2.02/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a 24 ounce can; a clear golden hue with a respectable sandy beach white head, rushing carbonation noticeable. A horrible odor that is skunky, musty and rustic. Sticky and watery up front; has the malty-malt-liquor thing going on. Actually, some hop detection is noticeable in this bland beverage, but don't go calling the hops authorities yet. Mickey's also has the classic malt alcohol feeling, no not a belly warmer; very carbonated and watery, a terrible cooked veggie/malt liquor palate. Old school, a classic of it's own, and one I use to imbibe on a regular basis, but I've proudly moved onward and upward, take care ol' friend!

Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.