Mickey's - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey'sMickey's

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 07-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mickey's Alström Bros
Reviews: 316 | Hads: 1,161
2.29/5  rDev -17%

Had a much better head than the coors I had. Somewhat suprising if you ask me, but still has that urine color.

Smell was urea when poured in a glass... urinal cakes anyone?

Taste wasnt so bad. Didn't taste like urine at all.

Goes down decently, but not super drinkable at all. (285 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -37.3%

Long night of drinking last night so I need something to help ease me in coming down. This is the only thing available. Looks yellow and fizzy with a decent head. This really shouldn't be poured into the glass, its a drink from the bottle type beer. Smell is all corn and piss. Taste brings me more corn and piss and maybe some alcohol though its not as boozy as some other malt liquors I've had. This reminds me of Miller High Life but in a bad way. Very rough, don't even think about drinking this warm. There's better malt liquors out there. (544 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +22.5%

This beer pours( this was the first time I had it in a glass) golden and clear has a one finger head with no retention or lacing to speak of. The aroma was of sweet malt with hints of grassy hops. The taste is malty sweet with corn syrup hiding in the background(remember this is a malt liquor). Its medium bodied moderately carbonated and quite drinkable.

Reflection: When I first tried Mickey's it was still in the 12oz, grenade shaped, wide mouthed bottles with pop tops! Even when I was in high school I thought Bud and Coors were awful so my beer of choice was Mickey's. I'm giving this beer props, thanks to Mickey's I've always gone against the grain and I've never been afraid to try something different in the beer world. (733 characters)

This is better than a mass produced lager. It is cheap, thin, faintly hopped... more like some hops died and some tortured ghost was left behind, not very malty, and smooth... once upon a time. It's better than drinking... battery acid or an O'Douls.
It's a flavored malt beverage, without the flavor... and it's almost a beverage. I think I'm going to find some benedryl and take a nap, Iv'e been stung by six little mickey's... If I'm lucky, I'll dream of newport storms. (475 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -22.8%

"one night frank was on his way home
from work, stopped at the liquor store,
picked up a couple of mickey's big mouths,
drank 'em in the car on his way to the
shell station; he got a gallon of gas in a can.

drove home, doused everything in the
the house, torched it.
parked across the street laughing,
watching it burn, all halloween
orange and chimney red".

That's from the classic song 'Frank's Wild Years' which is on the classic (aren't they all?) Tom Waits album Swordfishtrombones. It was the first time I'd ever heard of Mickey's Big Mouth Malt Liquor. My only regret is that this review will come from a 24 oz. can, not a Big Mouth bottle.

Crystal clear straw yellow beneath a voluminous cap of dirty white froth that displays impressive persistance and lays down a surprising, though still underwhelming, amount of lace. The sweet, corny, grainy nose manages to avoid offending. It ain't much, but then anyone drinking this beer is unlikely to give a shit (I'm conducting research and 'horizon expansion' and wish to be excluded from that group).

It's difficult to distinguish this beer from other macro lagers. Yeah, I know that it's a malt liquor, but it doesn't strike me as that much different from the lower octane beer; maybe because of the low ABV. It's tastes of sweet grain, bitter grain and sour grain (the trifecta!) with a light, verging on watery, body. The beer is slightly skunky, but that seems to be part of its... ahem... charm. At least there's no deterioration with warming. That's an admirable quality, right? Of course, it wouldn't have far to go in a downward direction.

Maybe Mickey's is better from a big mouth bottle (or a chalis?). Maybe it was better before Miller began brewing it. Who knows? Who cares? Don't expect much and I promise you, that's exactly what you'll get. (1,816 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +11.6%

16 oz. Tall boy can with no date. Billed as a “Fine Malt Liquor” and noting it was Union Made.
Aroma: Mild, with slight whiff of apples and a minor adjunct smell, maybe rice.
Appearance: Bright, clear pale yellow, with an impressive multi-sized head that slowly collapsed into a rocky moonscape. While it didn’t go the distance, it did leave some solid lace.
Flavor: Fairly clean, a solid lager taste with the apple taste coming into the front. Decent finish as well with the fruity note lingering a touch long.
Mouthfeel: Full bodied, about a medium in my book, which given the clarity I found impressive. Good carbonation level.
Overall Impression: This is the first Malt Liquor review, and I feel quite the pimp just drinking it. Considering all that, and the fact this is a Miller product (DAMN YOU MILLER for Celis) I’m pleasantly surprised. No real off flavors, no harsh edges, no alcohol burn, I actually prefer this to most American Lagers. Now, let’s not go crazy, this isn’t going to win over any head to head with just about any craft brew you can name; but for what it is, it’s rather good. Given I paired it with a very good Texas chili helped, and on it’s own it just doesn’t shine, but I can see myself going pimping more often.
Respect beer beeatch. (1,281 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +37%

this stuff brings me back like all the way to thanksgiving last year. I think this is some of the best malt liquir on the market. it tastes a little sweet and unlike some others it dosenot taste like flavored beer. and its way cheaper than "Smirnof Ice" its under $9 for a 12 pack of those really cool midget green bottles with the recloseable top. (348 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -14.9%

Looks like stuff I typically try to avoid. Smells kinda nasty, not awful, but certainly nothing like the high dollar 8%abv imports I'm used to. Taste is tolerable for one thing and the only reason I bought it. It's cheap as hell, and you can get trashed quickly and easily, or so I've been told...we'll see. Someone jokingly suggested I get a six-pack and knock it out. So here goes. The only good thing I have discovered so far is that one can consume a ton of this stuff if you can get passed the skunky smell and 'High Life' like taste.
okay..it's been about 12 minutes since I wrote this review, and after having two of these God da** things, all I can say is that this sh*t's for grown folks! Taste like sh***y beer, smells the same, but get's you trashed quick fast and in a hurry! (789 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance- Pale, watered down looking with weak head

Smell- Typical macro beer smell with some extra stink thrown in

Taste- Not bad for a malt liquor, sweet, but not overpoweringly so

Drinkability- For a malt liquor Mickey's is easy enough to drink quite a few of

Mickey's is a little better than the few other malt liquors I've had, but that isn't saying too much. I guess if your goal is to "get hammered" Mickey's wouldn't be a bad choice, craft beer lovers will want to pass this up. (500 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +9.4%

Not only did I pour a little out for my homie, I poured some out to take a look at it in a glass...which I've never done before. Good one finger head with an aggressive pour. It looks highly carbonated and golden yellow, and I'm surprised to see some hints of lace sticking to the sides of the glass. The smell is a little sweet with a hint of granny smith. The taste is sweet, with a faint alcohol taste, and more full than I remembered or expected. It's much better out of the 40oz bottle than a glass. Nostalgia may be playing a role in my review, but I doubt it. Very drinkable and better than I thought it would be after so many years. (640 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -45.7%

Lets face the facts, people drink malt liquor to get f&*^#ed up more quickly, they don't drink it for the taste. So I ask this question why drink Mickey's when it tastes the same as all other malts and is lower in alcohol volume by 3%. The apperance is very straw yellow with no head and no lacing. The smell is of funky meat and grain. Taste is heavy on the grain, weak on malts and hops, tastes a little metallic as well. Feels flat and dull in the mouth. Drinkable if you are so messed up you accidentally purchase this. Listen drink 2 bombers of Arrogant Bastard instead, better tasting by far and more alcohol volume. (622 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -27.2%

Appearance – Light orange in color and very clear with a lot of carbonation and a decent head.

Smell – The familiar alcohol-laced grainy mishmash of the malt liquor family is alive and kicking in this Miller offering.

Taste – This taste like The Champagne of Beers with a shot of gin. The flavor is subtle (read, “tastes like watered-down piss") and the booze is overbearing.

Mouthfeel – It looked heavily carbonated, but this ale was flat and thin.

Sinkability – This bomber bombed. (501 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -12%

Straw yellow appearance with decent white lace on the glass but no real head.

No discernible aroma- likely a plus in malt liquor.

Grainy taste but not unpleasant.
Meager mouth feel leading to easy drinkability.

Another variation from the House of High Life beer factory in Milwaukee! (293 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pour a clear yellow beer, pretty much what I expected.

Smell is mildly malty and grainy, no off flavors.

Taste is slightly sweet and is mostly of grain. Not as bad as it could be.

Mouthfeel is thicker than expected.

It is as drinkable as any other macrobrew. (270 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured from a 24 ounce can; a clear golden hue with a respectable sandy beach white head, rushing carbonation noticeable. A horrible odor that is skunky, musty and rustic. Sticky and watery up front; has the malty-malt-liquor thing going on. Actually, some hop detection is noticeable in this bland beverage, but don't go calling the hops authorities yet. Mickey's also has the classic malt alcohol feeling, no not a belly warmer; very carbonated and watery, a terrible cooked veggie/malt liquor palate. Old school, a classic of it's own, and one I use to imbibe on a regular basis, but I've proudly moved onward and upward, take care ol' friend! (646 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +11.6%

This is just an easy to drink malt liquor, that's all there is to it. It's smooth and creamy. There is the taste of hops with a dash of malts, but it's the hops that run this brew. Overall though, it is balanced out fairly well. As far as smell goes, it's a little skunky, I guess cause of the green bottles. The head is snow white and sits around for a couple minutes, then dies out to a laceing. All in all, not a bad beer. It's something I would get if I am in dire need of something to drink. Hey, it's better than Bud, Coors, Natty, and Lite. (547 characters)

Presentation = a small grenade shaped 12oz green glass bottle with a wide mouth screw top cap. The liquid is plae yellow with a big fluffy, fizzy head that instantly dies. Aromas are of corn, rice, alcohol, and more adjuncts. The mouthfeel is very gluggable and for a cheap beer that is quite drinkable, this is one of your better options.

(344 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -21%

A wide 40 oz, but not a wide mouth...oh, well. Clear pale gold, fugitive head of adjunct character and little duration. Aroma is fairly foul, very vegetal, almost cauliflower, with a pumice soap quality. Flavor is sweetish, but some apple skin qualities slightly redeem it. A little too carbonated for me, but it helps make up for missing hops and helps dry the finish. It felt a little stupid pouring this into a shake for evaluation, so it was good to pound the rest out of the bottle -- it reduces off aromas and brings back the memories, one high school party in particular. (578 characters)

Appearance: Extremely pale yellow color with an excessively foamy white head.

Aroma: Sweet malt and grain dominate the nose. Slightly sour and skunky in the finish.

Taste: Quite sweet and bland. Tastes much like sugar whater with some carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Sugary and somehwat flat, Alcohol lends some body, but doesn't help much.

Drinkability: An old college beverage that called to me today and I shouldn't have answered. The best feature of this beer is the wide-mouth bottle. (494 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

If I had to choose a cheep malt liquer to drink this would definantly be it. I was in need of some beer and I was way short on cash so I bought a Mickey's 40oz for the first time in a few years and let me tell you, it totally works in a pinch. The smell is your typical grain sweetness that you will find in other malt liquor's, but the taste is supprisingly smoothe and it goes down very well. Not the most complex flavors, but at 5.6 a 40 will do just fine. Of corse it does not hold a candle to the likes of Arrogant Bastard or Dead Guy Ale but when you are in a pinch, it works. (582 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +11.6%

I am ashamed. I have what I feel to be a pretty well educated palate. I know wines. I despise Budweiser as a beechwood-aged horror.

But somehow, I can tolerate Mickey's Malt Liquor.

I too have tasted all the malt liquors. This is not going to win awards. But somehow it works. On a hot day, this is good stuff!

It has the fizziness and corn sweetness but I too feel it is a winner.

Perhaps nostalgia is at play: when on several elk hunts this was the beer we brought along. It goes down real smooth at 8,000 ft... (526 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ok dokey my foray into the "cheap side" continues with Mickeys Malt Liquor in an ugly green can featuring what looks a rather upset accountant dressed as a wasp.
pretty average lager appearance..though there was some ok lacing
smell is definatlly cheap malt liquor..pretty bad it has to be said..
Taste however isnt that bad..its very sweet with some chemical like undertones..but not the worst..wouldnt want this to warm up.
Averags malt liquor mouthfeel..as if the drinkers of this cared.
Its drinkable very cold only (524 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -57.2%

12 oz. grenade.
Corn syrup sweetness on the nose, mixed with an increasing buttery sensation.
The same corn syrup shows up right away in the taste. Sticky and artificial tasting. Seltzer water-like carbonation scrapes the mouth clean of the cloying sweetness, but is annoying in its own right. Turns grainy toward the middle. Buttery and vegetal tones rise gradually throughout. Turns sweeter again at the finish with a (cheap) vodka & tonic alcohol flavor.
Artificially high carbonation, but once it begins to settle, this becomes totally undrinkable.
Unredeemable, even for malt liquor. (592 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -33%

Another weak pee like yellow highly carbonated brew. This one has a head of fine white bubbles and just a little lacing with carbonated bubbles rising up the side of the glass. I can spell BURP already! It smells like puck (spelling?) Highly carbonated taste, but not as bad as it smells, BURP! Bubly flavor with a mild aftertatse, BURP. It's a typical malt liquor with nothing special about it, BURP, BURP, BURP. (413 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +1.4%

Just the odd "Bigmouth" bottles put you into a humorous mood. The pale gold color with the little fizzy bubbles traveling though the body up to the thin head is misleading. This beer has more substance than you might expect. There's a round and smooth sweet malt foundation in which some metallic hop and alcohol reside alongside some cornmeal-like flavor. In large gulps, which the brewer intended with the wide mouth bottle, an astringent medicinal taste is noticed. The aroma reminds me of wet rye bread. All in all, in the cheap Malt Liquor for the huddled masses-type beer category, not bad...not good either. (614 characters)

Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.