Mickey's - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey'sMickey's

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 07-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mickey's Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,149 | Reviews: 333
3.5/5  rDev +41.1%

I've never poured this out into a glass but always drank from the green stumpy bottle.

Smell for me, basically, is sweet malt and lager. Nothing offensive at all considering it comes out of a green bottle. And never was.

Taste is a not overly sweet malt and maybe some corn adjunct.

Malt beverage on the heavier side of medium. Otherwise crisp and clean.

Every now and then at a summer bbq, someone pulls out a Mickey's Big Mouth from the way back machine. Had a lot of these in the 80's and have always been impressed with their "ahead of their time" innovated bigger mouth format. Hard to session this but always fun to drink and hey, @ $4 a 6pk who could go wrong.

Picked up a single Big Mouth off the sale rack at Vons (50% off). I hadn't had it since high school in the early 80's.

It was much sweeter than I remembered with no hop flavor.

Drank 8 oz. before pouring the remainder out.

Glad I tried it but won't be trying it again anytime soon.

2.52/5  rDev +1.6%

Mickey's grenade was my first beer, ever. To this day, my pals and I call this "skunk beer". The smell is awful; I guess that's what makes it unique. The taste is malty and thick and hits you like a brick. Couldn't drink more than 3 at a time, but looked forward to an inexpensive, cold beer at the end of a hard day's work. If you're looking for a unique, cheap beer that has it's own smell and flavor... look no further.

1.55/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. grenade bottle, with best by date on the side August 12. 2013. Didn't really realize that this was a Miller product, although it hardly surprises me. No abv listed anywhere on the bottle. Have had this beer before and while it isn't the greatest, I've got some fond memories of drinking this stuff at parties back in the day, though.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a pretty damn thin crystal clear yellow water color, with some carbonation visible. One finger of bone white head. I should have left it in the bottle. Some thin wispy lacing.

S - Cheap dusty malts & some corn adjuncts.

T - Taste is the same. Cheap malt, corn adjuncts, and wet cardboard / newspaper. Definitely should have left this in the bottle.

M - Feel is watery and papery, somewhat sticky.

Overall, a beer that is best enjoyed straight from the bottle, ice cold, preferably after you've already drunk yourself into a stupor, and a beer that is mainly bought for the novelty factor. Probably also best if you enjoy this beer quickly, and get it over with as fast as possible.

Mickey's ---1.5/5

3.27/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I've had this a time or two before, and consider it the best malt liquor available in my area. Today we finally had a nice day, and a tall boy of Mickey's seemed just the ticket....I pour it into a sampler and put the rest in the fridge to keep it cold. Otherwise, you have to drink it down pretty fast, before it gets too warm...

You have to pour carefully, because it produces a tall, billowy head even when ice cold. (I suppose it's not meant to be poured). The head sticks to the glass and will stay there until washed away. The color is pale golden. I smell grain, corn mash, and a hint of hops. The taste is smooth, but with much more flavor than typical adjunct brew, with a slight hop bitterness in the aftertaste, along with a slight bit of citrus and alcohol.

In my opinion, this is the smoothest and most flavorful malt liquor available in my area. I like to carry one of these around uptown Butte on St. Patrick's Day, or pick up a tall boy at my local convenience store on a hot day, while painting or mowing the lawn.

4.77/5  rDev +92.3%

Really liked this beer. Very flavorable I can appreciate. Not like other high rated beers that have a very tart taste. Bought the 40oz bottle just to try. Thought I'd taste then throw it out. The price was so low. Wrong!!! Just the right amount @ 40 oz. and a flavor I enjoy.

3.52/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

One of my favorite malt beer. It needs to be drank cold and keep it cold. If it gets warm watch out.

Appearance - Pours a clear dark golden/copper color

Small - The malts smell really good.. Has a sweet aroma, with corn and malts being most dominant.

Taste - It taste sweet, very much taste the malt and corn . It has a bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - .Crisp, sharp and dry with a light bodied

Overall - This is one of the my favorite malt liquors. I drank for years still does the job,

3.5/5  rDev +41.1%

Probably one of my favorite Miller beers that was a popular and inexpensive drink choice back in our college days. Malt Liquor is not for everyone, but when I drink these beers from the widemouth “Green Grenade" I tend to lose count. Overall Mickey's has a mild sweet taste, some mild hops, low bitterness, high carbonation, and there’s a slight graininess to the palate that lingers into the finish. On football nights when friends come over they tend to pick out these beers over the higher rated ones.

2.67/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

From the 24 oz can. Poured into a tulip glass. A finger of head with descent retention on a clear, golden colored body. Lots of bubbles visible.
The aroma has a grain smell, nothing else.
The taste is crisp, mild bitterness at first, then moves to a sweet and sweeter profile.
Crisp and clean texture with moderate carbonation and a lighter body.
Not a horrible beer, though the taste would be better if it maintained the crisp mild bitterness instead of letting the sweetness come in.

2.41/5  rDev -2.8%

12oz short bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Poured a pale straw yellow with a big 2 fingers worth of head that settles to a ring with pretty good lacing.

S: Adjunct all the way ! Not much else.

T: Sweet and corny not much else going on here....

M: Light bodied little on the watery side with a little carbonation.

O: It's malt liquor.... what else are you looking for. It is what it is. Then again this is one of my first Malt Liquors.

3.03/5  rDev +22.2%

Above average head retention for a malt liquor, its still yellow and clear but almost looks like a real beer. bit of corn in the nose but pretty faint. Pretty modest taste with no hop presence ( as expected). Easy to drink as long as its cold. Not sure who would drink this all the time.

2.81/5  rDev +13.3%

The best thing about Mickey's is its cool shaped, green bottle with the wide mouth. As for the beer ... meh. It's harmless, virtually tasteless American beer. Refreshing and light. Certainly nothing fancy. If offered one, I'd take it. Put it in a blind taste test with PBR, Coors, Red Stripe, or a half a million other similar beers, and I could not pick it out.

3.13/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz hand grenade into a pint glass.

Pours a clear pale straw yellow with a 1.5 finger head. Really good head retention and lacing for being a cheap adjunct lager. Some of the best I have seen in the style.

Aroma has tons of cooked vegetable and some Corn. There is caramel in there along with a faint hint of wet grassy hops. Not bad.

The flavor has a not so nice cardboard/plastic note but it fades the warmer the beer gets. Some caramel and creamed corn and cooked vegetables. Hop flavor is very faint and grassy with bitterness being light. Mouthfeel is more full than a typical AAL finishing slightly sticky and a little sweet.

Overall, not a great beer by any means but one of the best malt liquors out there. More flavor than many macros and cheap to boot. Worth picking up if you are drinking on a budget.

1.4/5  rDev -43.5%

A - Typical see through yellow with a massive frothy white head. Leaves small lacing.

S - Corn adjunct, rice adjunct, creamed corn. No surprise there.

T - Heavy, nasty creamed corn flavor with a stale rice adjunct finish that is almost unbearable.

M - Heavily carbonated with a heavy creamy body.

O - Overall, This beer was completely one dimensional. One smell, One flavor, And a mouthfeel that follows. Oh well, I only paid $1.25 for a 24oz can and I had to eventually review such terrible brews so that I can give even greater appreciation to the better beers out there. Will I buy it again? Absolutely not. i dreaded finishing this stuff so much that I actually elected to pour the remaining 18 ounces down the sink.

4.15/5  rDev +67.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My Favorite Malt. Not a lot of alc. content but enough. the Grenades arent available locally (Bought in another state) but I have had the 40's and 24 OZ cans here. Tastes like Heineken. Smooth and cheap. lots of carbonation. I like Mickeys.

Note: I review for the style. I refuse to let my prejudices slant any review. Nothing worse than the typical beer snob reviewing a Malt Liquor, same for your Malt Liquor drinker reviewing a craft brew.

3.01/5  rDev +21.4%

Sometimes I just need a 40oz. to keep it gangster. And my 40 of choice is always Mickey's.

The key to Mickey's is to drink it really fast - it has to stay cold. If you can manage to down your entire 40oz. while it's still very cold, it almost has a Heineken skunky taste. I am not a fan of malt liquor, but a cold Mickey's really doesn't taste like a malt. If you let it get warm....prepare to pay the price. N A S T Y.

I'm finishing off a Mickey's 40 as we speak. It's just what I needed after a long day at work. The last few sips are still ice cold...and it doesn't disappoint.

2.4/5  rDev -3.2%

A- Typical for a malt liquor. Not impressive. Nothing special, unattractive yellow and unattractive haze. Small head slears quickly. Appears watery in the glass. If we were grading the bottle I'd give it a much higher score. The Mickeys hand grenade looks pretty cool.
S- smells of filler and corn syrup. BUT, it doesn't smell as offensive as some malt liquors which to me smell like they will taste like BS.
T- pretty mellow but that's not surprising in this category. Nor is it surprising of the brewery (Miller). Taste sweet but taste of corn.
M- Like water.

Overall- okay heres the kicker with this Mickeys. It's actually not bad for the price. If you want to get loaded for not a lot of money I'd probably go Mickeys. Beer pong yes. Drink with a fine meal, no. In its price bracket, this is a personal favorite. I would take this over ice house, natty, Coors, miller or any other low priced beverage.

2.59/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours rather pale golden with thin white head of bubbles. Nose is light, clean, with a hint of citrus. More noticeable when drinking from widemouth bottle, oddly enough. Light cereal grain on nose too. On the palate there's a spritzer/sparkling water character to it with light malt flavors and slightly herbal to metallic hops. Some bitterness. Thin bodied. Goes down easier than water.

2.56/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

24oz can to pint.

Pours a light straw color with a fluffy, but coarse, white head that lays tinsel lacing around the top of the glass as it deflates. Not a bad look. Definitely the first time I've ever poured out a Mickey's. 3.5

Musty aroma with some damp smells of wet grain and cooked corn. Light lemon/citrus note, possibly from some hops. 2.5

Some fusel alcohol, cooked vegetables, musty grains, and a minty tea-like hop. Somewhat medicinal. Band-Aid flavor is here and there. Finishes like toothpaste, with some light bitterness to follow. Watery tasting, but expected to have been cut-back. 2.0

Feels sudsy, but it has some body to it. Not terribly difficult to drink. 2.5

Rating 3.5 as a Malt Liquor. Mickey's is the way to go for cheap.

3.48/5  rDev +40.3%

12oz grenade 6 pack = $7 dollars at some podunk liquor store in Argos Indiana.

Mickeys has always been the "gentleman" of malt liquors to me...it dont really taste like a traditional malt liquor...its got that slight Heineken skunk to it but its more like a regular beer.

It can be a bit unwieldy in a 40 oz and you let it get warm...it turns really gassy and sweet.

served cold in the grenade...these are extremely poundable...my record is 3 seconds.lol

tastes more like a Heineken than a malt liquor...if Heineken is your bag...you may want to give Mickey's a try...just dont let it get too warm. If youre new to or want to try your first malt liquor....i definitely recommend Mickey's

1.95/5  rDev -21.4%

I wanted to review this beer out of the 12 oz. little 'grenade' bottles. Instead this is coming from a 24 oz. can. Mickey's is always better out of glass.

A: I poured some out but I was reluctant to do so. Mickey's is a beer that should be consumed from it's original container. Pretty much yellow, not light or dark, just yellow. Sits still in the glass. Light lacing. Head disappeared quickly which surprised me because like most Miller beers Mickey's is quite foamy.

S: Not much of anything. Metallic and bitter. The sweetness of other mass produced malts is missing. It's an inoffensive smell. Much lighter than most other mass produced products having the same ABV.

T: Boring. Inoffensive. Watery. I've had light beers more flavorful than this. Light grain. Light bitterness. Finishes with nothing but a little bitterness on your tongue.

M: The best part of Mickey's. Surprisingly thick. Medium-high carbonation that leaves a little sting. Creamy and slightly oily.

O: Mickey's is best out of glass: 12 oz. or 40 oz. I don't know what it is about cans but it seems to ruin what flavor and characteristic there is. I've had some amazing tasting Mickey's before, but not this one. Considering how mass produced this is and how cheap it is there may be some variation from batch to batch as well. Mickey's is available pretty much everywhere making it an inoffensive choice when nothing else seems appealing. In the malt liquor world the low 5.6% ABV and higher than average price make this an amateur's choice.

3.89/5  rDev +56.9%

Appearance - Pours a clear dark golden/copper color with a thin, white frothy head. The lacing is pretty good.

Taste - Mostly the same as the smell. Quite sweet, very malty and corny, and also has a buttery biscuit flavor to it. It has a weird bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium/light body with high carbonation.

Overall - This is one of the few malt liquors I've ever liked. It tends to give me heartburn though.. Not like other beers.

2.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Good ol Mickey's 40oz. Heard so much about it during my High School days, but this is my first one.

Golden amber colored body with plenty of carbonation bubbles. Plenty of corn on the nose, malts and thats pretty much it. Taste follows closely behind leaving a bready aftertaste. Easy to drink and plenty of a refreshing backbone.

Overall Mickey's is better then other highly advertised, watered down beers. I would bring this to a party or a nice day at the lake.

2.85/5  rDev +14.9%

This pours a thin amber, orange colour with a foamy white.

The smell is sweet, corn and malts.

The taste is much the same as the smell. The biggest flavour I get from this is corn. It isn't great but for the style not terrible.

The mouth fell is light with medium carbonation.

A forgettable beer but if at a party I'd take it over any of the bud or light beers.

2.94/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a medium golden color with a big billowy head. The head fades fast to give a light amount of lacing.

Smell – The smell is semi sweet with a mix of corn and some other malt aromas. It smells very much like a sugary breakfast cereal. Its sorta nice, but I wouldn’t really say appropriate.

Taste – The taste is of corn, but its less sweet then the nose would let on. There is a little biscuit flavor that becomes more prevalent toward the middle of the taste. The taste toward the end becomes even less sweet and actually a little bit of bitternes comes into play.

Mouthfeel – The body is rather thin with a medium level of carbonation. Average and fitting.

Overall – This is a rather middle ground malt. It doesn’t have the bad aftertaste that many malts have, but it is also lacking in some of the warming and more heavy malt liquor corn and boozy tastes that you would expect with a malt. When I am looking for a malt, I likely would not take this one, but it may be for some.

Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.