Mickey's - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey'sMickey's

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 07-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mickey's Alström Bros

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

Wasatch, Mar 16, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +24%

I don't think I've had a Mickey's since college when we drank them in the wide mouth bottles. I found this one in a big 40oz green glass bottle with a screw cap, but I guess that shouldn't change the taste. It wasn't bad from what I remember, but then again I used to think Coors was good stuff back in the 70's.

Whoa, pour this one slow or at an angle or you'll end up with an entire glass full of fizzy foam. Even poured slowly this left 4 fingers worth of fizzy white head, but don't worry, it doesn't last long, lol. The beer itself was a crystal clear gold color and it left a surprisingly large amount of lacing behind.

The best word to describe the smell would be "bubblegum". No green bottle skunk, but no nice malty aroma either. If the taste is anything like the smell, this is going to be a really sweet beer.

The taste was sweet but it wasn't a sickening syrupy sweet flavor. It was mostly corn syrup with a touch of malt and that's about it. There is nothing complex here but it doesn't taste bad.

The mouthfeel is actually smooth and creamy with just enough carbonation to keep it refreshing. Medium body.

This stuff goes down easy, but after a few I got tired of the sweetness and wanted something more interesting, but if you're looking for something you can serve ice cold on a hot day, Mickey's isn't a bad choice.

matjack85, Mar 13, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -22%

It's been about 3 years since my first and only malt liquor. I thought I'd re-visit the style.

A - Clear, straw-yellow with tons of bubbles. Two-finger, white bubbly head of foam that does not last long nor leave any lace.

S - Not much other than corn and grains.

T - Grains and corn with a spicy alcohol presence - I can't really define it as hops but it was spiced.

M - Best attribute. Crisp, sharp and dry with a light bodied.

D - Still not loving malt liquors. I took my time on this one not to savor it or because of the high ABV - I just wasn't that interested it drinking more of it.

zeff80, Feb 28, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +50%

Mickeys is one of the finest Malt Liquors in the world. The short stubby big mouth is a great container. This is a smooth, clean, Fine malt liquor.

I like it. Lots of people dis this fine Malt Liquor. I do not know . OK is it better than Colt 45 or Olde Englishe 800. I do not know.

rednrag, Feb 20, 2010

I so excited to be reviewing this quality beverage. I am not going to be pouring it into a glass, instead I will be drinking it directly from the 40 oz bottle. The narrow top 40 oz bottle I might add. No freshness date. First scents are of herbs and vegetables. After first chug, not bad tasting. Some minor herbs and somewhat funky after taste nothing offensive. But nothing outstanding. Pretty easy to drink. Good mouthfeel. All and all not bad for a couple bucks, should be pretty easy to finish. Probably one of the easier to drink malt liquors.

mtnbikerpa, Feb 19, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -10%

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. Can't wait to review Mickey's ... it's got that sting!

Appearance: light yellow color, fizzy, with two fingers of white head on it. Reviewing to style, this is pretty average. Actually, it's better than some other macros.

Smell: it smells like ... college. The aroma of grain, alcohol and carbon dioxide is all too familiar. Horrible? Far from it. Good? Not really.

Taste: grain, sweetness and ... poverty. Call me unfair, but I have decided against letting this one warm up so that I can appreciate its nuances. You know, the flavor isn't horrible, but it really induces a sickness in me.

Mouthfeel: medium-bodied with a good level of carbonation. Average.

Drinkability: hoo boy. I may or may not be able to finish this colossal can. I think I am more comfortable consuming malt liquor on a dare than with an eye toward genuine evaluation. Still, drinkability has to track flavor on this one.

flagmantho, Feb 18, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -6%

I used to buy these daily along with Old English, but since my taste changed and Ive moved onto better beers.. Id have to say its been a good while. Though I have to say I never bought a can of it.. ugh. Not really looking forward to this.

Nice good pour resulted big 4 fingers of quickly rising bright white bubbly fluff with fairly quickly dissipating head. Also quickly falling. Not the worst looking head, at least there is something there. No lacing (of course). Light golden yellow.

Decently strong aroma of corn, grains, metallic and some yeastiness.

Ive never had a beer that overwhelms with so much metallic. Metallic, with a corny finish. Im positive its the "can" serving type that is giving it this quality.

I used to drink 40s NO PROBLEM. Back then I thought this was the most drinkable stuff ever. I think its one of the better malt liquors. I actually used to call it my "water" lol. I never bought the cans of any malt liquor, and Im pretty sure its been the same reason , the metallic-ness. Now my taste has changed for the better (really, back then I didnt care either.) Really, I wouldnt call this too drinkable, especially from the can.

BUT I would drink this anyday over AB. Even in a can.

MOB210SA, Feb 11, 2010
2.88/5  rDev +15.2%

A: Looks like yellow, fizzy beer. No head. No lacing.

S: Low quality beer and metal smell. Not a pleasant smell, but not the worst I've experienced.

T: See above but replace "smell" with "taste." Metal taste with carbonation and not much else. Not very good at all.

M: Fizzy and watery. It doesn't stick to your tongue, though, which is a good thing.

D: Very drinkable, if you can stomach this stuff. I would only drink it if I were broke and higher gravity brews were unavailable.

fff, Feb 09, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +24%

Mickey's is, to steal the presumptuous and decidedly unworthy catchphrase of one of the flagship beers of SABMiller/MillerCoors, the champagne of malt liquors. Having said that, let's be clear: if a reviewer is going to be fair, malt liquor, like its weaker cousin the American-style lager, can only be discussed in relation to its direct competitors. In other words, outside of the intrepidly curious, no person with a disposable income would choose to waste their time or money on any member of this family of beverages. That said, when compared to its peers, Mickey's is a smooth, satisfying and--how shall I say this--mostly agreeable beverage; indeed, this reviewer would go so far as to argue that it's a far more satisfying drink than any of the major American-style lagers on the market.

Appearance: it's impossible to say, for pouring out the contents of a Mickey's would be like looking inside of the Ark of the Covenant... Pure sacrilege (???)

Tastes like: a sweet, skunky mixture of malt, corn, and, in all probability, horse feed (★★★)

Overall drinkability: a smooth brew, when compared to the competition; quite possibly the perfect beverage for the industrial reserve army (★★★)

BGP, Feb 03, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured it into a pint glass. Yeah I know, a glass really?! Probably shouldn't have, after all the green keg big mouth bottle was sooo coool. I remember buying these in high school back in the dark ages. Just thought I would try something different but I was at the gas station! Not much in the way of choice or selection. $5.09 a 6 pack?

what can you say even a BMC makes these seem tasty. How many ways can you spell skunked. This is January and my bottle said November 30, 2009. A green bottle and out dated to boot. Skunked! I used to think this is what beer was supposed to taste like. Just one for old times sake. Certainly not for the taste. Oh yeah, the taste, did I mention skunked BMC? Well you get the idea...

Duxx, Jan 29, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -14%

40 oz

this is pretty bad not matter how you go about it. the body is thin and weak the carbonation is the only thing that makes this drinkable. the appearance is still better than coors light. the taste is too grainy for words. at least the beer makes a good sized head that is white.

erz316, Jan 16, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -8.8%

The first malt liquor i try, comes in a huge green can.

A: Nothing special, a simple yellow color, no head of foam;

S: Penetrating, industrial malt scents, like cooked spinach;

T: Malt syrup and grains;

M: Refreshing, slightly sweet, medium body;

D: I expected more of the malt liquor.

roddwolff, Jan 09, 2010
2.85/5  rDev +14%

Golden beer with a sumptuous thick white head on top. Retention is not great, but a solid coating remains on top and there is actually an impressive amount of lacing. Smells of grainy malts, touch of bitterness, no major off-notes. Tastes of some sweet malts and a moderate amount of bitterness that turns a tad plasticy and finishes with a bit of corny grains. Decent for malt liquor. Medium body with a high prickly carbonation. Too carbonated, but most malt liquors are way too carbonated. Drinkability is okay. Mickey's is basically the Cadillac of Malt Liquor... but the economy brand of beers are actually about the same price and taste better so I don't see much value in this brand.

vacax, Dec 27, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

355ml stubbie wide-mouthed grenade bottle, which actually kind of resembles a mini beer keg - I've seen these around for ever and a day, but never got around to trying one, until now, at a trendy new Jasper Ave gastropub, for X-mas dinner pre-drinks with my gal.

This beer pours a clear, pale golden straw colour, with a fistful of puffy, frothy, and bubbly eggshell white head, which settles at due pace, leaving some unexpected tight, sudsy and webbed lace around the glass - huh.

It smells of musty, and somewhat meaty adjunct grain - corn that may have turned in the field (ok, megafarm), overripe apple skins, wet, dank straw, and some backyard weeds for shits and giggles. The taste is a hefty cloying corn syrup muck and rice husk sweetness, a tame, I suppose, musty vegetal essence, stale dried apple and pear, and some damp cardboard pithiness.

The carbonation is average, and sort of airy in its bearing, the body a so-so medium weight for the style, slick, but generally all right in terms of its banal smoothness. It finishes fairly grainy, the corn trying to desperately climb that societal ladder, yet its inherent bland sweetness and mustiness cannot avoid becoming a singular unholy duality in torturing my palate's lingering patience.

Packaging kitsch aside, this is an otherwise obvious future pass for me - and I don't even get to laugh it off as a cheap throwaway purchase - up here, this beer sells as a "premium import". Jebus, I can't wait to get to our dinner destination, where I at least get to overpay for wine, and its fringe benefits.

biboergosum, Dec 25, 2009
1.23/5  rDev -50.8%

Pale gold with a one finger hed and poor retention. Smells of cooked corn with some sweet malt. Nothing special here. The taste is worse than the smell. Water everywhere along with cooked corn and a poor attempt at malt sweetness. Yuck. Thin bodied, fair carbonation. Not a good mouthfeel, and not very drinkable. I split this with a friend at a get together last night, so it cost me nothing.

hardy008, Dec 06, 2009
2.6/5  rDev +4%

24oz can...have not seen these in a long while. Freshness stamp on the bottom of the can is 22MAR10. Pours a crystal clear medium yellow color with a thick layer of white foam on top that is continuously fed by bubbles. Retention is actually pretty decent and leaves dots of lace on the glass. Nice looking malt licka here.

Smell is very corny and sweet. Has a mild sour note to it along with a bit of cardboard and grain alcohol. Not overly appealing, but not too offensive for the style.

Pretty smooth as the alcohol level is fairly low. A bit reminiscent of a bad cream ale. Body is light, as are the sweet grainy malt flavors. Hops are on vacation here. Not very good beer, drink it cold if you must.

twiggamortis420, Dec 04, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +35.2%

A: Darker Golden, Champagne Look

S: Smells a little malty, nothing overwhelming

T: As far as Malt Liquor goes, incredibly refrshing - very alcohol forward

M: Slightly Carbonated, buttery feeling in your mouth

D: An amazingly drinkable Malt Liquor -- My favorite of all.

Nothing beats this classic in the Green Wide Mouth Bottle.

jantonius, Nov 26, 2009
1.41/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Well, I doubt I'm saying anything we don't already know. This stuff is shhhiiity. Nasty yellow appearance leaving nothing in terms of head, lacing or retention. Horrible dumpster 4 day old beer smell.

Taste isn't the worst thing I've drank, but it's close. I guess it gets better the more you drink of it, and it is cheap . . . but all you can taste is the alcohol, which isn't even all that high. Brutal.

Beerandraiderfan, Nov 26, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +46%

Straight out of a 40 (Mickey's ain't pretentious, so why should I be?).
The two strong points for Mickey's is the nice sweet corn taste and a smoothness that defies it's status as "malt liquor" (so what is barley wine?). You already know that it didn't really cost you anything, it's gonna do it's job, and you needn't feel remorse. Mighty satisfying when good n' cold on a nice hot day, or even in winter (alcoholic enough that you just won't confuse it with light beer). By the way, if you keep the bottle in the brown bag it came in while drinking it, it gives it nose (nice pulp smell).

Hovellord, Nov 26, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -2%

More malt liquor... let's do it! 22oz bottle, $1.60, poured into standard pint.

A- Pale, pale, pale. Nice 3-finger head, big gassy bubbles, settles quickly, but doesn't fizz out. Well, it does... 5 minutes after pour and there's a thin film.

S- Smells like your standard adj. lager. Corn/grain, mild sweetness, not much else. Very light for a malt liquor.

T- Very beer-y. Kind of stale malt/grain combo... like old cheerios. Sweetness is perhaps a bit too much. The warmer it is, the grosser it gets, FYI.

M- Too sweet, thankfully light, but not entirely rewarding.

D- Eh... I can drink a cold one, but would rather reach for something else. at 5.6%, this one isn't as heavy or as demanding as some other malt liquors. I can't say I'd buy it again, even at the incredible price point.

ShogoKawada, Nov 24, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +45.2%

Okay, why would anyone drink a Miller High Life when they could drink this?! It's cheap, smooth, has a good color and great malty taste. I don't consider this "slummin' it", this is just good simple beer. Let's face it, if you're going to have beer for a football game with a bunch of typical beer drinkers, even Sam Adams would be considered snob beer. Not that I'm suggesting you succumb to peer pressure, but at least there's an alternative to Bud Light. Plus, this gives a VERY nice buzz.

thedrewski86, Oct 26, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +27.2%

This is the storied Mickey's BigMouth 12oz bottle. I drank this in high school long before I knew how to appreciate beer. I guess the novelty of the bottle was the reason.

A poured from the 12 oz bigmouth bottle into my goblet. pale amber straw colored brew with a bleched white head of 1 finger that settles to almost nothing quickly. heavyily carbvonated. this is a pretty beer in the sense of most american macros.

S crisp clean slightly matly aroma. I'm starting to like this a lot more than I expected.

T: OK here goes: (long pause) not much here at all. this is more watery that anything else. I do catch just a note of bready taste. NO sign of hops at all.

M: WATERY.

D: this is extemely drinkable. flows down to the gullet quick as you like. not a quality beer at all, almost devoid of flavor, but again oh so easy to drink. I guess it caters to a certain audience. WIll buy this again for times I want to slum it.

burnerfinger, Oct 11, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance is a light golden yellow with a thick crisp head and fair lace for a malt liquor. Smell is slightly sweet with corn, yeasty with hops. Taste has the adjunct flavor to it, a little metallic and stale hops. Mouthfeel is is light with a good amount of carbonation. Not one I would willingly buy again, it kinda left a light bitter metallic aftertaste I didn't quite care for.

Bookseeb, Aug 22, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +18%

I thought I'd slum it today, and try this 40oz for a swill. I think this is my first malt liquor review!

Pours with good clarity, lousy soapy white head that disappears too quickly. Body color is gold.

Smell is corn and tobacco.

Taste is husky corn and grain, with dextrin sweetness and a tobacco like finish.

Due to no overpowering complexities, this beer is good for the swill, mowing the lawn, or BBQing.

TheSarge, Aug 09, 2009
2.88/5  rDev +15.2%

We had a bunch of friends over to help us move. Took them to the liquor store afterward, since I'm a generous kind of host, and I told them to go nuts, this fine Indiana bounty is a marvel to us native Iowans. Two guys come back with FFF and this one guy has an armful of Mickey's cans. I tell him it's shit and he says yes, but it's the finest of shit, that canned Mickey's is the best malt liquor they make.

He--he might have been on to something.

This is really is a noticeable improvement over the 40 oz bottle. It's remarkably smooth considering its relatively elevated ABV. There are none of the off nodes you usually find in mainstream malt liquors--no batteriness nor skunk nor feet.

Instead, you get a rich profile of pleasant adjuncts with big nodes of corn and grain. This is balanced off with mundane hop essence. Nothing great but, honestly, I guess I just like the taste of beer.

mynie, Aug 06, 2009
Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.