Mickey's - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey'sMickey's

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 07-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mickey's Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev +42%

40 oz. screw-cap bottle:

Pours straw yellow with a thick white head that slowly descends to a lasting wide patch. Some spots of lacing stick.

The smell is more of a macro lager than a malt liquor, but pretty decent within that realm - some grain, but overall quite clean and inoffensive.

The taste is of sweet grain, some cooked corn, a touch of husk and a but of alcohol. Honey sweetness in the finish.

The body is light and pretty slick.

No need to put this one in a paper bag. For this style, it's very inoffensive and very drinkable. A kinder, gentler malt liquor. It has a smoothness to it, and the taste is more than tolerable - a bit too sweet. Not as aggressive as the stinging bee on the label would have it, but very drinkable and inoffensive for the style.

jwc215, Jul 28, 2008

Rochefort10nh, Dec 06, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -14%

12 oz. stubby green bottle,

A: Pours a very pale yellow with a large cap of foam after gushing out of the big mouth bottle into a pint glass. Surprisingly good head retention, light spotty lacing.

S: Very light, some grain malt is all I pick up from this one.

T: Very fusely with a husky grain character and a bit of wheat. Overall, the flavour is very light. Hop character is barely noticable but adds a grungy wet hay aspect to the aftertaste.

M: Low carbonation, very light-bodided, airy.

D: An average malt liquor, but too pricey for the style. I got bored with this beer far to easily. At least it doesn't become undrinkable due to an alcohol character like some others of this style are.

Halcyondays, Jun 21, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +25.2%

M-I-C-K-E-Y, Why? Because I want to bump up my bottle numbers. 'S, it's true, I'm ticking. M-A-L-T L-I-Q-U-O-R R U coming over? I have a 40! D-R-U-N-K. Woody's a fool, Woody's a fool, forever may his banner fly! No, I'm not high. M-I-C-K-E-Y-'-S!

Man, screw that "Back to the Future" action, this is more like "Peggy Sue Got Married"! This is the kind of drinking action that I did in my earliest prime as a teenager thirty years ago, asking random strangers to go into bars and take-aways to score a 40 or two (or more) of beer so that we could get wildly wasted and totally disrespect beer. I was at IHLNC today for the Winter Warmer bash and after a 5.5 hour shift, I did not need any more of that, nor did I want to give up. Queen Garden 6-Pack to the rescue! No better time than the present to get my bottle count up, up, up.

A foamy finger of bone-white head with decent retention, initially. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to look through the walls into the neighbor's doings. Nose was comparably sweet with some of the high ABV offerings of today, but with a none-too-subtle cereal quality mixed in. Mouthfeel was effervescent and scrubbing to the point that I felt like I had a new palate. I kid you not, this was a very pleasant diversion after today's skull-ripping. It was plenty sweet with a lot of adjunct characteristics, but it was also a beer that I felt comfortable sitting with in front of the TV. There was nothing off about it, despite its being in a GREEN (oh, no!) bottle, but either pasteurization or good handling or both kept it that way. YMMV. Finish left me simply craving a Hammond's-brand hard pretzel to cut some of the cloying sweetness. Would I drink this again? Heck, yes! Would it be my first choice? Heck, no! Was it cost-effective/worthy? Yep. What would my back alley homies say? Hey, I've hung out and imbibed with them enough to the point that they call me "Pittsburgh" and don't throw their empties in my yard, instead leaving them hanging in a bag on the fence for me to collect and recycle. They'd applaud me. I applaud you.

woodychandler, Dec 05, 2010

corby112, Nov 22, 2011

orangesol, Mar 08, 2013
3.1/5  rDev +24%

Drank straight from the wide-mouth, green stubby bottle - as it was meant to be. This beer is surprisingly not bad. I think there's some truth to the bottle's "Fine Malt Liquor" label. Because as far as malt liquor goes, this isn't that far behind Rogue fancy-pants Dad's Little Helper. In terms of flavor, this beer reminds me of a dull PBR. It just has gentle bready malts behind a vague sweetness. Completely drinkable and inoffensive. Worth a try, just because it's Mickey's.

tempest, Dec 23, 2008

Georgiabeer, May 12, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -18%

(Served in a nonic)
A- This beer has a straw yellow crystal clear body with a big carbonation of large bubbles and a bubble white head of molten candy.
S- The soft green apple acetaldehyde grows as the beer warms with a light flinty note that is nice but soon overpowered. There is a faint field corn note in the finish.
T- The clean flavor has a slight tartness with a faint corn flavor that comes through on the exhale. The green apple flavor has a jolly rancher candy quality to it that gets stronger with each sip. M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a watery texture and a fizzy finish.
D- This beer is light but not clean. The tartness and corn and apple flavors are very pronounced and become a bit more obnoxious with each sip.

rhoadsrage, Jul 14, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +18%

Welcome to start of the Brown Paper Bag Invitational! In this short series, I will be tasting malt liquor for the next few days, and this is sure to be fun. The only other malt liquor I've ever had was Olde English, and I was greatly offended. We'll start tonight with a "light" malt liquor, the one with the stinger that looks to be on steroids...Mickey's! On to the beer:

Do you like your body pale? Very pale straw color, the carbonation bubbles providiing some attraction to the eyes, the soapy head providing a solid canopy thus far. The aroma is milled corn, maybe with a trace of the can...run-of-the-mill cheap lager smell.

Heyy....this isn't bad at all! The body is light, but the carbonation is conrolled well, it doesn't bombard your palate. This is quite sweet. Sweet corn upfront, then some mild corn syrup-llike texture and sweetness. The alcohol is there, but hidden in the background with a dull bitterness and kick to it. Semi-dry finish.

For what you get, this is a solid malt liquor without too many flaws. It's also one of the lightest on the market, so it may not be the best pick if you're looking for a quick buzz and nothing more.

I survived the first stage without any major wounds. We'll resume the Brown Paper Bag Invite tomorrow night.

DoubleJ, Sep 19, 2008
2.55/5  rDev +2%

Pour a clear yellow beer, pretty much what I expected.

Smell is mildly malty and grainy, no off flavors.

Taste is slightly sweet and is mostly of grain. Not as bad as it could be.

Mouthfeel is thicker than expected.

It is as drinkable as any other macrobrew.

Zorro, Feb 13, 2004
1.38/5  rDev -44.8%

About time I get my malt liquor reviews in. These may be repetitive because I am not an expert in the style.

Fizzy white head. Color is a clear pale golden yellow.

Aroma: Much like the OE, malts and alcohol. Corn. Metallic flavors. Very bland. It does have some other adjunts and skunky flavor though.

Taste: Pretty much the same. Bready malts and cardboard staleness. Corn. Off flavors all around, this time being skunky.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied, medium carbonation. Grainy and chewy. Ends bland.

Overall, not something I ever want to drink again.

mothman, Mar 31, 2012

ejimhof, Sep 19, 2013

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

Wasatch, Mar 16, 2010

wrightst, Friday at 01:46 AM

Mebuzzard, Jul 15, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -10%

LXIXME, Mar 02, 2014
2.83/5  rDev +13.2%

40.

A: Pours a clear, bright, yellow with a creamy white head that left a spotchy lacing behind. Visible carbonation was soft.

S: The nose was light, with some corn and fresh grains.

T: For flavor there was corn mash, a light malt sweetness and a light herbal hopping. The beer finishes with a sweet corn malting and herbal hop fade. Overall the flavor was fairly clean albeit limited in complexity but did have a noticeable hop presence.

M; light, a tad watery with a decent herbal hopping.

D: Decent for an old-school macro.

beerthulhu, Mar 06, 2008

tdm168, Oct 04, 2013
1.41/5  rDev -43.6%

Well, I doubt I'm saying anything we don't already know. This stuff is shhhiiity. Nasty yellow appearance leaving nothing in terms of head, lacing or retention. Horrible dumpster 4 day old beer smell.

Taste isn't the worst thing I've drank, but it's close. I guess it gets better the more you drink of it, and it is cheap . . . but all you can taste is the alcohol, which isn't even all that high. Brutal.

Beerandraiderfan, Nov 26, 2009

dmorgan310, Feb 26, 2012

harpus, Oct 15, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +55.2%

Pours a pale golden color with a one finger head that quickly fades to nearly nothing.

Aroma is strong with corn/bready malt in the nose. Nothing special here and to be expected.

Taste is strong and sweet with corn, baked bread and a touch of alcohol in the middle.

Mouthfeel is full of the same flavors as above (corn, baked bread) except that they linger. Not harsh or anything. Seems average.

Not bad. I was expecting worse but this really isn't a bad example. It's drinkable for what it is.

Brad007, Mar 20, 2009

drummermattie02, May 31, 2013
2.85/5  rDev +14%

wide mouth stubby green glass poured into chalice april 11 2010

A clear straw yellow with a loose two finger head that has decent retention and leaves a few patches of lace

S grassy hops, corn and a little petrol that hurts its cause

T no gas flavor thank god just the things I smell with a little peach, still pretty basic and the flavors are rather faint

M thin and watery but well carbonated

D just a basic beer other then the smell there's nothing offensive but nothing special

not quite sure why this beer has a cult following it's just another bland average lager

wordemupg, Apr 12, 2010
Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.