Mickey's - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey'sMickey's

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 07-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mickey's Alström Bros
Reviews: 319 | Hads: 1,175
4.26/5  rDev +53.8%

Mickey's is the malt liquor that makes the name worth it. Granted the whole idea that you play the brown paper bag hiding game, not right way to enjoy this delicious beverage. Get the six pack and enjoy the caps. The caps have nothing to do with taste but they definitely adds to the beer. If you can't solve a Mickey's cap in under 15 seconds put it down because the puzzle and Mickey's attraction...you don't understand it.

So the taste, it's a regular beer taste. It's enjoyable and doesn't over power with a liquor sting. It's the indulgence you have to hold on to. The six pack is affordable but willing grants access to inebriation. If you're going to "roll" with a malt liquor, this is the selection for that night. (723 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Probably one of my favorite Miller beers that was a popular and inexpensive drink choice back in our college days. Malt Liquor is not for everyone, but when I drink these beers from the widemouth “Green Grenade" I tend to lose count. Overall Mickey's has a mild sweet taste, some mild hops, low bitterness, high carbonation, and there’s a slight graininess to the palate that lingers into the finish. On football nights when friends come over they tend to pick out these beers over the higher rated ones. (508 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured a very yellow color with a thin retaining head. Immediatly smelled and tasted corn adjuncts. Tasted pretty sweet and malty. Not too bad for 1.50 a 40, definetly the better of the malt liqours. But if you were looking for a premium brew this isn't it, its just cheap beer. (278 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +34.3%

Mickey's I cant believe this stuff isnt rated among the tops 3's in malt liquor's , one of my fav beers with or without the differnt styles.

Appearance is plain , close to all the green bottle beers because I hardly ever pour malts out of the bottle.

The taste is pretty goot , It taste's like a dirty rolling rock / not as smooth but nice to drink or even slam at times.

Drinking this stuff is pretty easy , nothing you'll wanna puke on , simple because its a fine malt liquor and I recommend it too any beer drinker. (528 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +25.6%

12oz grenade 6 pack = $7 dollars at some podunk liquor store in Argos Indiana.

Mickeys has always been the "gentleman" of malt liquors to me...it dont really taste like a traditional malt liquor...its got that slight Heineken skunk to it but its more like a regular beer.

It can be a bit unwieldy in a 40 oz and you let it get warm...it turns really gassy and sweet.

served cold in the grenade...these are extremely poundable...my record is 3 seconds.lol

tastes more like a Heineken than a malt liquor...if Heineken is your bag...you may want to give Mickey's a try...just dont let it get too warm. If youre new to or want to try your first malt liquor....i definitely recommend Mickey's (691 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +2.2%

Mickey's . . . it is what it is. Poured with a small, thin head into a pint glass (I know, I know . . .). Smell is grain and alcohol, better than most malts, but not particularly nice. Taste is inoffensive, a little sweet, and extremely easy to drink. The wide mouth (on the grenade 12 ozers) encourages one to consume Mickey's quickly, which is recommended. I occasionally experience a metallic aftertaste after consuming Mickey's, but it was pleasantly absent from this review.

A good choice for a malt liquor, and at 5.6% ABV, it's easy to have more than one. (565 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -33.2%

A - Three finger head, bland and light yellow. I can see right through it. Leaves a fair amount of smeared and dirty lacing on the glass.

S - Very sweet, almost sickly sweet. There's a touch of grain the smell, like freshly kneaded dough.

T - Malty with just an echo of hops. There's a sweetness backing this that makes me cringe a little, but not enough to repel me.

M - Texturally it finishes clean. The carbonation is noticeable, but just shy of being totally offensive. It leaves a nearly sickening aftertaste on the sides of the tongue and roof of my mouth.

D - If you're looking to get drunk, this is where it's at. Just don't look for a lot of taste. I've had this when I felt like telling myself I'm a broke badass, but I won't pick it up on my own when I have a few bucks to spare. Mickey's is an express ticket to heartburn and a lasting hangover. (861 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +4%

A: Looks like yellow, fizzy beer. No head. No lacing.

S: Low quality beer and metal smell. Not a pleasant smell, but not the worst I've experienced.

T: See above but replace "smell" with "taste." Metal taste with carbonation and not much else. Not very good at all.

M: Fizzy and watery. It doesn't stick to your tongue, though, which is a good thing.

D: Very drinkable, if you can stomach this stuff. I would only drink it if I were broke and higher gravity brews were unavailable. (485 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -1.4%

OK, is there any other way to really enjoy this offering then from a big mouth bottle? You have to like the barrel design and the puzzles on the bottom of the cap are interesting to ponder (although they get much harder the more of this you drink).

A: poured really cold (from the cooler) into a pint glass. Light yellow, almost clear color. Bright, white head which vanishes quickly. Leaves some residue on the glass as you drink your way to the bottom.

S: not much going on here, perhaps I muted things a bit with the serving temperature. After a few minutes, I detected the faint smell of sweet corn.

T: smooth, actually. I was a bit apprehensive before the first sip, since other malt liquors that I have tried are pretty harsh (talking to you King Cobra). A bit sweet at first, followed by a moderate bite on the back end.

M: pretty watery, which is enhanced by how quickly it leaves the palate.

D: you could definitely drink a few of these, especially for the price. However, I have a feeling that you would be making reservations for a pretty good headache the next day. Overall, there are worse malt liquors out there, so Mickey's gets my vote if you are in the mood for some malt. (1,196 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -4%

I spent a few minutes at my favorite bottle shop and picked this up. I wasn't looking to buy anything expensive, so this easily fit the bill. Anyways, on to the review.

Appearance: Nothing really notable, straw yellow in color with a 2 finger fizzy head when poured into my glass. The head subsides quickly and the drink itself is quite carbonated.

Smell: Not much in the nose here, something sweet perhaps?

Taste: Sweet, but you can also taste a touch of alcohol on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Quite a bit of carbonation but not really heavy. Not unpleasant.

Drinkability: This one goes down pretty easy and doesn't feel that filling. Quite drinkable.

To be honest, I kind of like the "Crappy" malt liquors. Many come in large sizes (40oz) and I can sit and enjoy a movie or other entertainment and unwind with them on the cheap. Overall, I've had other ML's that aren't as pleasant to drink as this one. Not too bad. (921 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +34.3%

This is a good brew for the summer days. Everything from beach, to lakes, pool parties or BBQ's. The bottle is very deceiving, but the contents are ok. Very Good Cheap brew IMO

Pours a pale golden brew with a full white crown. No alchol taste or scent. Nice barley and sweet malts. Crisp refreshing and smooth taste. Nice aftertaste. (334 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +20.9%

A: Darker Golden, Champagne Look

S: Smells a little malty, nothing overwhelming

T: As far as Malt Liquor goes, incredibly refrshing - very alcohol forward

M: Slightly Carbonated, buttery feeling in your mouth

D: An amazingly drinkable Malt Liquor -- My favorite of all.

Nothing beats this classic in the Green Wide Mouth Bottle. (333 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance golden yello with a ridiculous amount of foam head with some lacing

Smell the first thing to notice is the malt smell to it other than that some light hops and corn

Taste taste the malts and some other aftertones of hops

Mouthfeel goes down smooth light body

Drinkability overall its a step above your common domestics so about an average beer (358 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -48.4%

DAFUQ! WHY? Once the alcohol destroys your palate, it allows you to get past the chemicals used to make this atrocity. Once the alcohol hits your brain you tend not to give a shit. Low 5.6% abv? I had two 8%ers yeasterday and i didntmfeel this buzzed. Must be the impurities giving me instant hangover? I Hate You Miller! (321 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Now this is a good go to malt liquor even though its on the low end of the ABV comparing it to the new high gravity/malt liquors such as hurricane and the steel brewing company.. This is one of a kind and Its a winner all around for a decent price. 7 dollars for a 12 pack after tax, so what if your friends drink that fancy stuff like MGD or High Life, Budweiser, Coors! Dont let it bother you if you want to bring it to a party and dig in! Keep it real! with Mickeys Malt Liquor! (481 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +30%

Straight out of a 40 (Mickey's ain't pretentious, so why should I be?).
The two strong points for Mickey's is the nice sweet corn taste and a smoothness that defies it's status as "malt liquor" (so what is barley wine?). You already know that it didn't really cost you anything, it's gonna do it's job, and you needn't feel remorse. Mighty satisfying when good n' cold on a nice hot day, or even in winter (alcoholic enough that you just won't confuse it with light beer). By the way, if you keep the bottle in the brown bag it came in while drinking it, it gives it nose (nice pulp smell). (590 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My Favorite Malt. Not a lot of alc. content but enough. the Grenades arent available locally (Bought in another state) but I have had the 40's and 24 OZ cans here. Tastes like Heineken. Smooth and cheap. lots of carbonation. I like Mickeys.

Note: I review for the style. I refuse to let my prejudices slant any review. Nothing worse than the typical beer snob reviewing a Malt Liquor, same for your Malt Liquor drinker reviewing a craft brew. (443 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Get Stung! Drank a couple pints today for old times sake. Still does the job and I feel is one of the tastier Malt Liquors. First time I had it in a 16 oz. can so that was cool. (177 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -59.9%

Discovered this beer in college. The liquor store had a never-ending special on six packs. Didn't mind it at first, although I didn't care for the sweet flavor and aftertaste. We drank so much of this stuff (because it was cheap, you see) that more than twelve years have gone by and I still get nauseous when I see it at the store. Nasty stuff! (345 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Golden straw color. I didn't get much head from this bottle.

Smell was stink and corn.

The taste was corn, hay, and malt.

Watery thin body and major carbonation.

Reminds me of the Les Miserable song Master of the House, "Thinks he's quite a lover, but there is not much there." (283 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +27.4%

12 oz. green "Grenade" bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada hop tulip. Yea maybe it's not the right glassware but I just got the glass so I'm using it on all my beers. LOL

Look- Gold, clear as day. 1 Finger head that dissipates insanely fast. A tiny bit of splotchy lacing.

Smell- Sweet malts and corn, a hint of booze.

Taste- Honestly not bad, I was expecting worse.Not a lot of taste there, but I pick up sweet malts, a little bit of white bread flavor, and slight alcohol way in the back. Much better than most beers of this style.

Mouthfeel- Fills your mouth with carbonation. Typical of malt liquors.

O/A- Damn good "For the style" (644 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -45.8%

I feel like Mickey's fools me twice when I drink it. I get fooled once by getting tricked into those dumbass riddles they put on the caps. I get fooled twice because I end up drinking the malt sludge in the grenade because I feel stupid for not figuring out the phrase "butter face." When Dave Grohl sang the line "Is someone getting the best of you?", I didn't know he was asking about my alcoholism. (402 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +31.8%

Thought I'd take a break from reviewing craft beers and dig into a good-old malt liqour.

A- The beer itself is nothing to look at. Light straw with lots of bubbles (think cream soda.) The bottles, however, are lots of fun. The little hand-grenade bottles feature fun riddles underneath the cap, and the 40's are.... well... 40s.

S- Not much in the way of complexity... Mickey's smells like cheap lager concentrate. Banana, rice and corn jump off of the aroma and really overpower any other scents.

T- I'll admit it... Mickey's is like beer candy. While there's no hop presence, very little depth and lots of carbonation, this beer tastes really good. It's sweet, but not too sweet. It's bready, but not at the expense of the fruitier flavors. It's malty, but still refreshing. Very easy to drink.

M- Pretty thin and lackluster. Definitely goes down easily though.

O- Sometimes you're out of money and need something to get you by. More often than not, Mickey's is my cheapest ticket to a tasty brew that really is pretty decent! (1,038 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +36.1%

OK. I have read the reviews of Mickey's "Fine" Malt Liquor here and some folks seem to be embarrassed to even be reviewing it, or in some cases, to be giving it too high a grade.
C'mon. It's beer, and we're all beer lovers here, and - speaking for myself - I love to try all sorts of styles and flavors and countries of origin...gimmicks and chicanery included. I believe all's fair in love and the love of beer. Malt Liquor is another product that gives us the incredibly huge variety of beverages in the 'beer' category. That's enough to love it for!(IMHO)

This is an above average Malt Liquor. It's not over the top in the abv department, as it's right there with many excellent IPA's. I find this to be preferable to many domestic lagers - the taste is better.
Color is pale amber. Quickly dissipating head. Carbonation remains, and bubbles rise, reminiscent of Sprite or 7-up.
Tastes somewhat sweet, with a rather nice, if somewhat strong-flavored finish. No noticeable alcohol on the tongue, that I could detect.
Serve Mickey's ice cold. It holds up well to strong flavored meats, and appetizers - think burgers, brats, dogs, hot wings - or it's great solo.
Mickey's is, in my opinion, one of the few choices that will harmonize with almost everything. And, actually, if you pour Mickey's in a wine glass, and serve it without revealing the brand - I believe most people would find it to be a great, refreshing pale lager.
If you can get past the stigma attached to malt liquors in general, and give this an honest go...you may find you like it...or love it! (1,565 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +33.6%

A: Looks like American lager (Bud) but even a bit lighter. no much head to speak of.

S: Nothing special, although you can smell the Alcohol.

T: Crisp, clean, not half bad. A bit of an initial bitterness to get over but not to offensive.

M: very clean, slight drying.highly carbonated but that is to be expected with this kind of beer.

D: could and have drank all night on this. The ABV will lend itself to a fun night but a whopper of a hangover. Have fun

Not only do you get a nice buzz from this but if you get the grenades/hornets, the short fat 12ozers, the caps have picture puzzles that you can pass around to see who can figure it out. (647 characters)

Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.