Icehouse Edge - Miller Brewing Co.

Icehouse EdgeIcehouse Edge

Beer added by: daliandragon on 07-29-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 103 | Reviews: 46
2.39/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

16oz can poured into a pint glass, no canning date

A- pours a pale clear golden color with a small creamy white head that retains for a while, eventually settling into a film

S- booze & grains, cooked rice, aluminum

T- sweet and grainy up front that starts out ok, but then turns into flavors of metal, creamed corn & grains. The finish is harsh

M- medium body with moderate pricky carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a crisp finish, some alcohol warmth hits the chet a few seconds after

O- not entirely offensive, it's pretty tolerable up front, but the finish is about as harsh as any other Icehouse beer

1.66/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

This beer is only worth drinking if you are trying to get drunk. It tastes as sweet as you would expect from an 8% malt liquor that costs under a dollar for a tall boy. Really atrocious. That being said, if you are going to buy something like this, it is better than steel reserve or hurricanes.

2.16/5  rDev -9.6%

If you have a choice @ 2 for $3.00 between this and Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export... You're better off going with this, and that's all I have to say... about that.

2.06/5  rDev -13.8%

Sampled on 1/18/15 and slight this 24 ounce can that costs around $1.59. That should tell ya something BUT never tried it and had to do a review on it! LOL! Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in a vintage 10 ounce 'hourglass shaped' pilsner glass.

Pours a golden yellow in color with a very thin white cap layer. Some very light spotty lacing was seen but not a lot. The aroma is mostly of sweet corn and alcohol for the most part. The taste is pretty much the same with the sweet corn right up front with lots of alcohol taste. Hard to drink actually. Have to drink this one very cold and probably fast but it still isn't good. Guess if you want a fast cheap buzz then this is your brew. Not a fan. Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Had to pour about half of my half out after several sips.

3.98/5  rDev +66.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Very sweet not too sweet. Lots of corn. Have to drink this extremely cold. Feel the alcohol kick in within minutes. A good malt liquor or strong beer. Miller is not ashamed of its line of Malt beverages like STEEL or Olde English 800 (love their OE High Gravity)

2.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Icehouse Edge
16 oz. can, coded "MAR3015 E07062251"
$3.29/4-PK @ Winn Dixie #0199, Jacksonville, FL

Poured into a "beer clean" Imperial "nonik" pint glass (I'm not sure that you're really supposed to put it into a glass... ?) it displayed a deep golden, almost brass colored body beneath a two finger thick head of frothy bright white foam. The head held shortly, bolstered by the rising bubbles from below, and then fell to basically nothing leaving but a few medium-sized spots of lace behind.

The aroma displayed apples and sweet, doughy adjunct malt backed by distant 'beery' hops.

In the mouth it was thin to medium/thin in body and crisp, as would be appropriate.

The flavor confirmed the yeasty apple esters, as well as the adjunct-based malt sweetness, and although it wasn't very bitter at all the alcohol cut through it quite easily leaving it raspy and a bit harsh, almost chemical-like. It faded quickly from the palate, leaving behind a drop of sweet malt and a brisk splash of drying alcohol.

At 8.0% alc./vol. it's got the strength of a malt liquor, but not the body or the depth of 'malt' flavor normally associated with the style... ... aaahhh, and it just occurred to me, perhaps that's why it's named "Edge". Or perhaps it gives you an edge, because if you drink this quickly the alcohol will certainly hit you just as fast (at least for the pint can) and you'll end up with a little "Dutch courage". Overall, given the intentions behind it, it's not bad but on a world-wide scale of beer with a 3 being about average it just doesn't meet that mark.

2.42/5  rDev +1.3%

It's good for what it is: cheap, drinkable beer that'll give you a quick buzz. Out of all the cheap ass hobo beer, this is one the easiest to gag down.

1.15/5  rDev -51.9%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: It's clear golden body has slowly rising bubbles, bubbles that rise to the top where a wisp of white resides after the head recedes. There is one hilarious line of lacing on the glass, and it's shaped like a frown. :(

Aroma: Corn, and metal. Not as in Korn and Nu Metal. It sort of smells vulgar, and illegal, like there's some unsavory chemicals being used in the mash tun.

Taste: The taste is a little cleaner than the aroma. It has a touch of sweetness, from what -- God only knows. Corn adjuncts or whatever the hell you use to brew an 8% beer that cost $1.29 in a 24 ounce can. The finish holds a burn from the ridiculous amount of alcohol, and probably a burn from the unhealthy ingredients used in the brewing process.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat medium to light bodied, considering the ABV it's fairly smooth, thus the 1.25 rating.

Overall: You ever play Truth or Dare, and take the Dare and regret it? That's this beer. And now I'm $1.29 poorer to show for it. :(

2.25/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with light to moderate amounts of active visible carbonation and hints of bright yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy foamy white head that reduces to a medium to large patch of mottled very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate amount of sweet corn adjuncts with a light amount of light fruit/apple juice. Hints of alcohol booziness and something akin to vinyl/plastic.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of grainy malts with moderate sweet corn adjuncts. That is followed by a harsh strong flavor of fusel alcohol which lingers in the finish (quite unpleasant). Also, there is a light amount of booziness towards the finish as well as it warms up.

M:Light to medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Light amounts of alcohol warming.

O: Much worse than I expected and my expectations were pretty low. Much too hot and much too boozy.

I didn't realize I was grabbing a malt but that is what I got. Very cheap but it tastes like cheap tangy, dry beer. If you have an acquired taste for malts, this is probably pretty good. If not, its not a good beer to drink and enjoy a movie. If you just want to get drunk...pinch your nose and guzzle it. Not for me.

2.37/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Right off, this is a beer that must be drank as cold as possible. The color is quite pale and the smell and taste are dominated by adjuncts although when served ice cold the cold does a good job as masking the imperfections. There is no mouthfeel worth discussing.

Let's face it, no one is drinking this for the flavor or to savor the aromas. For an 8% malt liquor there is no real perception of alcohol as long as it's cold - really cold! If you're looking for something like this it is certainly worth a try. Seriously, if you don't like it you're out like what, a buck and some change?

Wow this stuff is really nasty only got it cause its the only malt liquor available at the store that knows me and I lost my ID. Thankfully that is not a problem anymore I got it now but when I came to a realization that I had peed in a beer can as well as had a few with left over beer in it and I could not tell by smell or taste which one was the beer. I then realized this is some nasty shiz its like they bottled urine and I am never drinking it again. I even like 211 better than this slop.

3.23/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It's an 8abv icehouse...no one buys these for their delectable taste! That being said, it's one of the best cheap beers with high abv. Better than steel reserve and better than EQ. Pours with a more impressive head than I would have thought, but after 90 seconds or so it's gone. Quickly receding lace. Smells sour. Like sour apple and corn. Taste is pretty much the same. It's okay honestly.

2.51/5  rDev +5%

A: Pours a clear, deep gold color. Lots of big carbonation bubbles pop up initially, though the foamy head doesn't stick around too long, and little lacing is left on the glass.

S: Not much in the nose. Some faint graininess and sweetness, along with some sour lagery notes and alcohol.

T: Faintly grainy malt flavor up front quickly fades into adjunct sweetness. There's a bit of nondescriptly herbal hop flavor and bitterness to keep things from being too cloying, though there is a touch of sweetness again towards the finish. Fairly clean for a malt liquor.

M: Medium mouthfeel. A bit slick, with active carbonation. Some dryness in the middle yields to a lightly sticky-sweet finish. Surprisingly clean.

O: Curiosity got the best of me when I bought this. It's not good, but it is a decent malt liquor. No terrible boozy, chemical, or fusel flavors puts this above many of its competitors, for what that's worth.

3.31/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

to me for a higher abv icehouse this is a pretty good bang for your buck.. I purchased a 24 ounce can for 1.10 after tax.. It pours your typical american adjunct lager color.. yellow fizzy water id say.. the smell is of musky corn.. the taste is actually nothing but a regular icehouse with a little more punch but the alcohol is not noticable.. So overall i say it is a okay beer, i cant complain ive had worse.. I give it a thumbs up !

3.12/5  rDev +30.5%

Reviewing against the malt liquor category, not the lager. To call it a lager is grossly negligent and clearly a macro swill pipe dream.

Pours a beautiful amber caramel with a nice off-white head, half inch, hung around until I began drinking it. Clarity is impeccable.

Nose gives away its pedigree. Macro, adjutant, and lacking any real hop character. Again, when compared against malt liquors, it is period and proper. A nice ML nose.

Taste is well balanced and pleasant. Corn and rice dominate, with perhaps a hint of real barley noted in the first 10-12 ounces. Mild sweetness. Bitterness on the finish. Caramel and wheatbread on the belch.

Supremely quaffable. Not the best ML, but a damn good variation.

Price is icing on the cake.

3.06/5  rDev +28%

Icehouse Edge brewed by Miller Co. This brew pours out a dark amber color with a small white head. Now this brew is 8.0 abv. The smell is sweet like male liquor. The tease is sweet as well it reminds me of a malt liquor even though it's a lager. I'm impressed on how smooth this brew goes down. There is nothing bad about this brew. I would get it again. Over all I'm giving this brew a 3 out 5.

1.8/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Me and 2 friends went on a beer run one of them points out these 24oz cans that are $1.75 ea. and says there like a step below Natural Ice which is what we get when we want a cheap buzz so at 8% alcohol I got us 2 a piece. Back at the pad we pour it into mugs and its a dark yellow golden color with a nice head looks good so I smell it and yuck its a putrid rotten dirty dish water chemical kind of smell thats when I hesitated but took a sip. I for sure was not impressed one bit. You can taste massive amounts of corn and there is that dirty dish water and chemical taste. Kinda sweet you can taste the alcohol but they do pretty good at covering it up. Bubbly mouthfeel which I dont complain about with good tasting beers but the texture makes it just more worse. Gave me the shits after drinking 2 and a head ache the next day which never happens I never get hang overs and I drank plenty of water with it. It got me pretty tipsy thats about all its good for.

2.54/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

got this for $2 at a closing albertson's and i didn't know what to expect , i like ice house and have been drinking some malt liquors lately so that may have something to do with my i like this ,

its not a great beer but i found it to me quite smooth and refreshing for a high gravity malt liquor .
sure it has the corn smell but it didn't seem as strong as others , it was also lite and fizzy but not overly carbonated like a Busch .

personally i think it's better than Natty Daddy but not night and day better just a step above.

to me it tasted like a stronger icehouse , not just a rip off bottom of the barrel swill ( stack , camo) thats the real bad stuff .

in my opinion if you like icehouse you may like this , but you probably have to have to be a little used to the strongness of high gravity lagers .

its worth a purchase. frankly i think its the best high gravity next to shlitz vsl

1.84/5  rDev -23%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

I like icehouse. i do NOT like icehouse edge.

it has a corny flavor but when you take a drink the alcohol flavor overpowers everything.
the taste is horrible. i agree with the other commenters about the chemical taste.

Right after drinking it, i felt hungover.

Drinking this will get you drunk, but not a good drunk. it makes your head hurt and makes you want to get some sleep.

2.88/5  rDev +20.5%

Meh. It's not the best beer I've ever drank, but, not the worst. It kinda burns going down. It has a strong taste that I can't really get myself to enjoy. I drank the whole can because I hate wasting things. But, this isn't something I'll purchase again. I've never tried regular Icehouse, and after this, I don't know if I want to.

2.18/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

I gave it a 3 on the mouth feel because I oddly enjoy the creamy fizziness. Can stuck out to me so I grabbed it. Taste is ok, real drinkable, not much of a flavor profile... It's just one of those beers you get if your looking for a cheap buzz... Feels so weird in the mouth... Like a mouth of fizzy whipped cream.

hehe...bought this on a whim at a gas station on the way home from work. I've had keystone before back during my younger days and before the craft beer Renaissance that is currently taking place here in Alabama. There is no way a person could enjoy this beer unless they were hoping to get drunk as quickly as possible. The taste is fizzy corn and nothing else. Save yourself from pissing later...you're already holding in your hand. Bad brew.

2.12/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium golden hue with a haze-free body and a strong effervescence. Head pours two to three fingers of very fizzy white foam which subsides quickly. Par for the style.

Smell: sweet with a small whiff of corn and plasticy adjunct character. Not great but pretty clean for the style.

Taste: drier than the aroma, but with a definite corn character. There's a light bitterness here too, which is better than nothing. Not a great beer, but for a high-gravity malt liquor, I feel like you could do a lot worse.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a fizzy carbonation that comes out of solution pretty quickly. Blerg.

Overall: don't kid yourself; this is pretty low-quality stuff. But for a can of high-grav malt liquor, there's worse stuff out there. Note of warning: don't let it warm up!

1.67/5  rDev -30.1%

As macro lagers go regular Icehouse is just fine. It doesn't really stand out from the pack in any notable way. Icehouse Edge on the other hand is horrible. I can't take enough sips of this to think about what exactly I'm tasting beyond something like Windex. While there is some kind of sweet flavor happening in here, the main and distracting thing is some kind of chemical cleanser taste. It is straight up bad. I can drink just about anything in the standard gas station line up. I almost never do, but once in a great while I will have some high school nostalgia and go get some cheap snacks and some tall boy cheapo macro lagers. But this is something else altogether. It is a horrid product. I got such a great deal on it and now I guess I understand why. I poured out all but a few sips of it. It may be the worst beer I have ever had.

to view more.
Icehouse Edge from Miller Brewing Co.