Icehouse Edge - Miller Brewing Co.

Icehouse EdgeIcehouse Edge

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: daliandragon on 07-29-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

Wow this stuff is really nasty only got it cause its the only malt liquor available at the store that knows me and I lost my ID. Thankfully that is not a problem anymore I got it now but when I came to a realization that I had peed in a beer can as well as had a few with left over beer in it and I could not tell by smell or taste which one was the beer. I then realized this is some nasty shiz its like they bottled urine and I am never drinking it again. I even like 211 better than this slop. (496 characters)

I didn't realize I was grabbing a malt but that is what I got. Very cheap but it tastes like cheap tangy, dry beer. If you have an acquired taste for malts, this is probably pretty good. If not, its not a good beer to drink and enjoy a movie. If you just want to get drunk...pinch your nose and guzzle it. Not for me. (322 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -53.3%

I'm not a beer snob, and I enjoy the merits of a cheap beer from time to time, but this is absolute garbage. I had one can and immediately felt hungover, which makes me seriously question its ingredients. I did have it cold, which should help, but any crispness was overtaken by a skunky, sweet taste. (301 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -52.1%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: It's clear golden body has slowly rising bubbles, bubbles that rise to the top where a wisp of white resides after the head recedes. There is one hilarious line of lacing on the glass, and it's shaped like a frown. :(

Aroma: Corn, and metal. Not as in Korn and Nu Metal. It sort of smells vulgar, and illegal, like there's some unsavory chemicals being used in the mash tun.

Taste: The taste is a little cleaner than the aroma. It has a touch of sweetness, from what -- God only knows. Corn adjuncts or whatever the hell you use to brew an 8% beer that cost $1.29 in a 24 ounce can. The finish holds a burn from the ridiculous amount of alcohol, and probably a burn from the unhealthy ingredients used in the brewing process.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat medium to light bodied, considering the ABV it's fairly smooth, thus the 1.25 rating.

Overall: You ever play Truth or Dare, and take the Dare and regret it? That's this beer. And now I'm $1.29 poorer to show for it. :( (1,010 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

This beer is only worth drinking if you are trying to get drunk. It tastes as sweet as you would expect from an 8% malt liquor that costs under a dollar for a tall boy. Really atrocious. That being said, if you are going to buy something like this, it is better than steel reserve or hurricanes. (298 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -30.4%

As macro lagers go regular Icehouse is just fine. It doesn't really stand out from the pack in any notable way. Icehouse Edge on the other hand is horrible. I can't take enough sips of this to think about what exactly I'm tasting beyond something like Windex. While there is some kind of sweet flavor happening in here, the main and distracting thing is some kind of chemical cleanser taste. It is straight up bad. I can drink just about anything in the standard gas station line up. I almost never do, but once in a great while I will have some high school nostalgia and go get some cheap snacks and some tall boy cheapo macro lagers. But this is something else altogether. It is a horrid product. I got such a great deal on it and now I guess I understand why. I poured out all but a few sips of it. It may be the worst beer I have ever had. (843 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -30%

Very malty/ corny.. alcohol sweet.. swill. This has one good use. Getting wasted. Simple and plain. Not a brew you wanna sip or let warm up. For its style.. they do.a decent job but as far as quality.. it should be illegal... but i must say.. these will get you drunk... if your looking for a cheap strong buzz.. just grab a few of these (337 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Pours clear yellow with a one finger white head. No lacing.

S - A variety of berries, aluminum, slight rice grains.

T - Mixed berries, aluminum, slight rice grain, alcoholic finish.

M - Heavily carbonated with a medium body.

O - Overall, this is once again, just another cheap beer. I doubt I'd have again. (314 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -27.9%

That's what i was thinking too. Really? Regular, everyday Icehouse doesn't produce enough bang for the buck? We have to give it an EDGE? Whatever, it's really hot outside and after the first few sips it'll probably be more or less fine.

Fills my mason jar with white head and a deep gold body. Head dies instantly with no lace. Nose is pure adjunct malt and some underlying evil. Amazingly, this does resemble Icehouse original, just eyes bleedingly worse. Oversweet, cloying, and doused in booze. Texture is thin and offers no protection from the taste. Like someone dumped a bottle of cheap grain alcohol in a barrel of Icehouse and rolled it down a hill to mix it up.

I drank Icehouse in college and actually enjoyed it, and still get it every once in a great while when I feel like slumming it, but I can't ever see trying this again. I have no better words, it's just yucky. (887 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Me and 2 friends went on a beer run one of them points out these 24oz cans that are $1.75 ea. and says there like a step below Natural Ice which is what we get when we want a cheap buzz so at 8% alcohol I got us 2 a piece. Back at the pad we pour it into mugs and its a dark yellow golden color with a nice head looks good so I smell it and yuck its a putrid rotten dirty dish water chemical kind of smell thats when I hesitated but took a sip. I for sure was not impressed one bit. You can taste massive amounts of corn and there is that dirty dish water and chemical taste. Kinda sweet you can taste the alcohol but they do pretty good at covering it up. Bubbly mouthfeel which I dont complain about with good tasting beers but the texture makes it just more worse. Gave me the shits after drinking 2 and a head ache the next day which never happens I never get hang overs and I drank plenty of water with it. It got me pretty tipsy thats about all its good for. (964 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

I like icehouse. i do NOT like icehouse edge.

it has a corny flavor but when you take a drink the alcohol flavor overpowers everything.
the taste is horrible. i agree with the other commenters about the chemical taste.

Right after drinking it, i felt hungover.

Drinking this will get you drunk, but not a good drunk. it makes your head hurt and makes you want to get some sleep. (382 characters)

hehe...bought this on a whim at a gas station on the way home from work. I've had keystone before back during my younger days and before the craft beer Renaissance that is currently taking place here in Alabama. There is no way a person could enjoy this beer unless they were hoping to get drunk as quickly as possible. The taste is fizzy corn and nothing else. Save yourself from pissing later...you're already holding in your hand. Bad brew. (443 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -14.2%

Sampled on 1/18/15 and slight this 24 ounce can that costs around $1.59. That should tell ya something BUT never tried it and had to do a review on it! LOL! Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in a vintage 10 ounce 'hourglass shaped' pilsner glass.

Pours a golden yellow in color with a very thin white cap layer. Some very light spotty lacing was seen but not a lot. The aroma is mostly of sweet corn and alcohol for the most part. The taste is pretty much the same with the sweet corn right up front with lots of alcohol taste. Hard to drink actually. Have to drink this one very cold and probably fast but it still isn't good. Guess if you want a fast cheap buzz then this is your brew. Not a fan. Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Had to pour about half of my half out after several sips. (822 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium golden hue with a haze-free body and a strong effervescence. Head pours two to three fingers of very fizzy white foam which subsides quickly. Par for the style.

Smell: sweet with a small whiff of corn and plasticy adjunct character. Not great but pretty clean for the style.

Taste: drier than the aroma, but with a definite corn character. There's a light bitterness here too, which is better than nothing. Not a great beer, but for a high-gravity malt liquor, I feel like you could do a lot worse.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a fizzy carbonation that comes out of solution pretty quickly. Blerg.

Overall: don't kid yourself; this is pretty low-quality stuff. But for a can of high-grav malt liquor, there's worse stuff out there. Note of warning: don't let it warm up! (844 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -10%

A small portion poured into a juice glass for appearance and aroma. The rest consumed from the 24 oz can.

A - transparent yellow with some carbonation bubbles coming up; thin, bubbly, loose, fizzy, white head that fades fast

S - grains, warm, faintly metallic

T - very warm, sweet, and grainy, faint metallic finish

M - warm, crisp, medium bodied

If I consider the style: this was average. It was grainy, sweet and warm as expected. It was high abv and sorta drinkable from the can. I won't buy it again, but it is a very cheap buzz. (538 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -10%

If you have a choice @ 2 for $3.00 between this and Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export... You're better off going with this, and that's all I have to say... about that. (165 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

I gave it a 3 on the mouth feel because I oddly enjoy the creamy fizziness. Can stuck out to me so I grabbed it. Taste is ok, real drinkable, not much of a flavor profile... It's just one of those beers you get if your looking for a cheap buzz... Feels so weird in the mouth... Like a mouth of fizzy whipped cream. (314 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance: Very cool can. Tattered aluminum design that tries to play to the PBR crowd.

Smell: Fresh biscuit malt. Not bad for a malt liquor

Taste/Mouthfeel: Extremely sour...extremely! Vinegar in a can. Good mouthfeel...nice carbonation.

Overall Drinkability: Pretty gross stuff overall. The flavor makes/breaks this. I feel like Miller could make big bucks marketing this stuff. It's cheap...high alcohol...and has a good design. (435 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with light to moderate amounts of active visible carbonation and hints of bright yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy foamy white head that reduces to a medium to large patch of mottled very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate amount of sweet corn adjuncts with a light amount of light fruit/apple juice. Hints of alcohol booziness and something akin to vinyl/plastic.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of grainy malts with moderate sweet corn adjuncts. That is followed by a harsh strong flavor of fusel alcohol which lingers in the finish (quite unpleasant). Also, there is a light amount of booziness towards the finish as well as it warms up.

M:Light to medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Light amounts of alcohol warming.

O: Much worse than I expected and my expectations were pretty low. Much too hot and much too boozy. (1,006 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -5%

Served in a shaker pint glass.

Finally found this stuff at a gas station whilst fillin' 'er up. It pours a clear sallow topped by a finger of white froth. The nose comprises corn, funky wheat, powdered sugar, and a faint hint of booze. The taste brings in more of the same, along with a strong vein of perfume-y vinyl. Nice. Real nice. Thanks for that one, there, guy. A bunch. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a pretty sad little beer. I honestly didn't expect too much from it, but it's bad regardless. (556 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Right off, this is a beer that must be drank as cold as possible. The color is quite pale and the smell and taste are dominated by adjuncts although when served ice cold the cold does a good job as masking the imperfections. There is no mouthfeel worth discussing.

Let's face it, no one is drinking this for the flavor or to savor the aromas. For an 8% malt liquor there is no real perception of alcohol as long as it's cold - really cold! If you're looking for something like this it is certainly worth a try. Seriously, if you don't like it you're out like what, a buck and some change? (594 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

16oz can poured into a pint glass, no canning date

A- pours a pale clear golden color with a small creamy white head that retains for a while, eventually settling into a film

S- booze & grains, cooked rice, aluminum

T- sweet and grainy up front that starts out ok, but then turns into flavors of metal, creamed corn & grains. The finish is harsh

M- medium body with moderate pricky carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a crisp finish, some alcohol warmth hits the chet a few seconds after

O- not entirely offensive, it's pretty tolerable up front, but the finish is about as harsh as any other Icehouse beer (620 characters)

2.41/5  rDev +0.4%

Chalk this up to The CANQuest (TM) returning to its (admittedly) dark roots. Many of the early CANs were of a less-than-stellar quality, but it pre-positioned the madness at the explosion of craft CANs. This was on the shelf at my neighborhood bottle shop, literally out my back door and across a small parking lot. My "neighbors" know that I will try anything once and are always happy when I find something in their inventory.

The Crack & Glug revealed another "Greg Koch Special" - a fizzy yellow beer for this wussy. Two fingers of dense, bone-white head sat atop the liquid and had such retention as to slow me down. Color was a pretty sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was not just sweet, but ridden with corn. I have mentioned silage before in reviews and here was yet another unpleasant example. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was like nail polish remover. It had a cloying sweetness which coupled with its high gravity ABV made it a roaring hangover CANdidate. Finish was likewise cloying sweet and nothing that would bear repeating. (1,059 characters)

2.42/5  rDev +0.8%

It's good for what it is: cheap, drinkable beer that'll give you a quick buzz. Out of all the cheap ass hobo beer, this is one the easiest to gag down. (151 characters)

2.44/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from can into pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a light golden color with a fizzy one finger white head. The head fade very vast to leave almost no lacing.

Smell – Bready, corny, and sweet. While it is a more classic malt style aroma, it is a little fresher than most and doesn't really have any metallic or papery smell. It even has a lighter lemon hop aroma. Not bad.

Taste – The taste begins of malt with some corn sweetness and a light citrus hop flavor. At the front it is smoother and somewhat pleasant, but then all goes downhill from there. At this point the citrus hop seems to give way to a metallic and alcohol flavor. These two flavors get stronger and drown out the nice flavors up front to leave a somewhat bitter, biting, burn on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the just above average side in terms of creaminess with a carbonation level that is very average.

Overall – While the aroma and initial tastes were quite nice for a malt, the finish to the taste was rather offensive. Not the best malt out there. (1,070 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Icehouse Edge from Miller Brewing Co.