Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012

1.66/5  rDev -40.3%

Obviously not a standard beer, but even as far as ciders go, this one is weak for me. If I'm going to have a cider, personally I like a strong apple flavor and a bit higher alcohol content 6-8%. This to me tasted like watered down apple juice. Maybe good for someone who doesn't like beer but wants something a bit lighter. (323 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +46%

Along with Angry Orchard, this was my starter beer into the beer world. Just like carbonated apple juice! All in all, it is a great sissy beer! I'd drink it, but I've graduated into light beers (193 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +38.1%

It's not a great brew, but it is really refreshing on a hot, summer day. I'm not a fan of cider, but I like this. I prefer the Green Apple Ale to the Red because it is more tart, but they are all good. The Wicked version packs a wallop. (239 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Only rating this because 1.) It's actually on here and 2.) Trying to reach 250 beers. Ummmm so it looks smells and tastes like apple juice with hints of apple cider. It's really not terrible. Just not "beer". (208 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Wait....Since when were these beers actually listed on here..? Well, I've had one sitting in my fridge since the Fourth so what the hell, I'll give it a shot for the sake of reviewing.

Look - Drank straight from the can so I don't know.

Smell - Apple juice concentrate with....more apple juice.

Taste - You'd never believe it, but it tastes like...apple juice. Slightly bitter.

Feel - Sweet, medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - It ain't too bad for what it is to be honest. (493 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I personally can enjoy beers that mask or attempt to mask the "beer" taste. Flavour is nice, it's crispy when cooled, and overall a decent solid beverage for those looking for something not so intimidating. 4/5 overall, you can smell much so that can be a plus or a minus depending on taste (minus for me). Feels nice and crisp like I said, and looks lovely. Nice color and packaging looks. I would recommend this to anyone looking for something that doesn't overwhelm you with the taste of beer. (497 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +71.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I really love this beer! Hard ciders are too acetic for me. I keep this in my fridge all the time. Really love it right after hot work. Also use it between other beer sessions to clean the palate. Nice and crisp. (212 characters)

2.84/5  rDev +2.2%

One of the very first beers I went out of my way to find. If I had to describe it in two word, "Magically Mediocre."

It's like carbonated Mott's apple juice with a splash of alcohol thrown in for adults. I'm hesitant to give praise not because it tastes bad but because it really did not impress me. Refreshing, cheap, and easy to find but definitely not something I'd recommend to anyone with any sort of developed palate.

The kind of thing you'd keep in the garage for after you mow the property and just want to relax. (525 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +32%

I have been seeing the commercials for this bullshit for a year now, and I finally decided to take the test. I have kind-of been thinking about getting this for a while, especially since it is always hot as shit in South Florida, but I finally took the jump.

After a long, hard day of outdoor labor (I am normally in a vehicle for most of the day), I decided that a nice, crisp, appley ale would hit the spot. I hit the local Longhorn for some food and pregame and got a six pack of Redd's to take back to the hotel room. I was pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't expecting much, but I have had the Apple Ale from New Glarus and thought that was great, so I have some perspective.

It looked like a cider, meaning there was no head. The aroma had some apple characteristics but I wouldn't categorize this as an overwhelming aroma of apple.

The taste really hit the spot. It was clean, crisp, refreshing, tasty, and just what I needed. If confronted with a different scenario, perhaps my adulation would be ill-conceived, but in the moment, I enjoyed this beer.

Overall, very enjoyable. This was and is a perfect beer for some post-labor hot weather activities. Enjoyed it! (1,176 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Not recommended. Might pass if you were sitting around a camp fire and choosing berween this and nothing. I thought it might compare favorably with a cider. I was wrong (169 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -15.1%

The beer is okay. It pours a very light head that disappears almost immediately. It has an amber color and smells a bit like apple cider vinegar. The taste is a bit more like cider than beer and is okay. Overall, I wouldn't turn it down if offered for free, but I wont be buying a six pack. (290 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -4%

Its Apple alright.. LoL I wouldn't consider this a beer more like hard cider like many others have commented about this beer. I got a six pack for free from a friend and wanted to see what the hype was about. This beer is for the folks who want to drink a beer that doesn't taste like a beer. Not a fan of this one. I hate to give this beer a bad rating but I just don't like this type of beer. Think of it as apple juice mix with a little sour sour apple and carbonation that's what this beer taste like. (506 characters)

I can't see why anyone would want a apple flavored beer ever! but this beer has just a hint of apple flavor, all the flavors are good the apple, strawberry, tea, all of them good the only thing bad I would say is that you can only buy the specialty flavors in a variety pack and if you want to get drunk you would need more then the 12 pack to get there (353 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +6.1%

Strange taht I kept going back for more trying to taste the alcohol. Could not find it. Very good apple drink. The hidden alcohol is cleverly hidden by sweetness and apples. I better stop now. That swishy way is goes down to easy is bad. I could drink these fast if I didn't know better. Too easy to drink fast. (318 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +63.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

very nice, very refreshing, clean crisp apple flavors come across simple non complex in flavor, enjoyed several of them and would buy again, not a typical beer, more like a hard cider (183 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +28.8%

It's not the best beer, okay? It doesn't quite taste like a beer, it doesn't quite taste like a hard cider. But y'know what? It's pretty good, for what it's trying to be: a sweet alcoholic beverage that tastes like apple, but isn't just another cider. It does that pretty well. (277 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has an overwhelming smell of artificial apple sweetener
Appearance- A very light yellow color no head at all.
Taste- Tastes like modified apple juice, not good.
Palate- A light bodied brew with a ton of carbonation.
Overall- I did not enjoy this at all. But I haven't had a good apple beer out of the three or four that I have tried. (389 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I got this on a lark, just because I wanted something a little fruity, and as I was at a diner that serves beer, and everything else was your typical light beer fare, I thought I'd give this weak Miller product a try. The color is a light golden, very fizzy, with no head or lacing. The smell is of tinny apple, and the taste is similar, very light and carbonated, with a watery mix of water and... beer... maybe? Actually it tasted all right for what it is, not awful, not good either. (489 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I would have a hard time calling this a vegetable ale, or even a beer at all. However, as a Swede living in America, I've been looking for something that tastes like a Scandinavian-styled cider for quite some time. This might be it. Very sweet. Sufficiently tasty. Incredibly carbonated. Awful beer. Good for what it is. (320 characters)

2.84/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is a glorified fruit/vegetable beer at best, reminds me more of a Seagrams more than anything else. It's certainly better than it's strawberry ale counterpart, but not by much. Overall, it's tasty, not much of a beer really, but it does go good with some Fire-bally. (273 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Super clear light gold. Zero head or retention.

Smell: It does not smell like a beer, I do not pick up any hints of yeast. Smells like apples and sugar.

Taste: It tastes like carbonated apple juice, no hints of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Way too carbonated, it almost hurts.

Overall: While it is not a very good "beer", it does taste good enough to drink if you are looking for a cider or something similar. Probably better than the other options. (483 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -38.5%

Smells just awful, to quote another reviewer, " like a bad yeast starter" I am reviewing a pint can and it is super carbonated and just too sicky sweet for me. I recall having a sip of this on tap a few moons ago, but either I was drunk or it is just waaay worse in a can. Like Apple juice malt liquor. (302 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -18%

First off--this is not a hard cider, you simpletons.

I'll drink ciders. There are some excellent craft ciders out there, and even the easy to find macro stuff is still plenty quaffable. Heck, I'll even drink an alcopop here and there. And fruit beers? Fruit beers are awesome! Not just the New Glarus stuff, either. I'm fond of trashy, accessible stuff, like Magic Hat's #9, and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

What I'm getting at is that I'm not so much of a snob to refuse to drink fruity booze. I am, however, quite leery of macro fruit beers, as they tend to, well, they tend to suck.

Redd's was the best thing at a recent party. It smelled horrendous, like a bad yeast starter, but tasted like a low-hopped, very light adjunct ale mixed with actual apple juice. Like something high school kids would mix together to make Natty Ice more palatable, basically.

Not the worst thing I've ever had, and not even particularly bad aside from the aroma. But I'm a fan of the style, and more open-minded than most, and this is just not a very good fruit beer. (1,060 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a light golden color with no head and lots of carbonation. Smell is like apple juice. Taste has some tartness up front, sweetness at the finish, lots of apples in between. Feels light in the mouth and overall is more like an apple soda than a beer, but is highly drinkable. (303 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I personally like this beer out of its general light flavor and my accustomed taste to its sort of sweetness, although I'm well aware of the fact that this is not a high-class brew (180 characters)

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.