Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012

Ratings: 910 | Reviews: 175
Reviews by DeFaz:
2.81/5  rDev +4.1%

Redd's Apple Ale is by no means a "craft beer". It's marketed to mainstream beer drinkers (and those who find the taste of beer offensive) and is owned by the world-renowned Miller Corporation (sarcasm). Anyway, I hate to say it, but I like this one. It starts sweet, finishes tart, and goes down really, really easy. You'll have three, four, five, six of them before you even realize it. I can't help but enjoy this even though I know that, based on everything I know about ale, this really shouldn't be so enjoyable. Now, there's no denying that Redd's uses artificial flavoring including caramel color, which gives it that irresistible (albeit fake) beautiful color. It's not going to pour a large head, nor is it going to have any complicated hop/malt flavors. But, for a mid-summer beer aiming to quench thirst, it manages to get the job done. Am I embarrassed that I drink it? Yes. But does it accomplish what it sets out to do? Yes. Snub your nose at it if you wish, but have a couple and you'll want a couple more.

Bottom line: I know this isn't supposed to be "good", but I'm not going to apologize for drinking it once in a while.

4.5/5  rDev +66.7%

This is beer? This has alcohol in it? I thought I was drinking soda?!

I think it's a great beer for what it is; a fruit beer. Or as I think of it, a fruit "beer soda". It honestly tastes like a beer you'd give a child if that was a legal thing to do. I think it's a perfect beer for someone who doesn't like beer. It's a beer that should be enjoyed under a 90 degree summer day at noon when it's really bright.

1.63/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 1 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I got this at the Jewel/Osco store in Glendale Heights, IL as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99, making this single can $1.67. Surprised to learn this was a Miller product as there is no mention of Miller on the can.

The beer has a clear apple juice color with lots of spritzy carbonation bubbles, but it produces zero head and zero lacing.

Smells like sour apples.

Tastes like carbonated apple cider. It's a bit tart and a bit sour, but totally un-beer like.

Light bodied and spritzy with high carbonation.

This is pretty disgusting stuff. It's not even good as a cider.

1.24/5  rDev -54.1%

Woodman's was offering a free 4-pack of 16-oz cans with a case of any Miller product. I bit.

A: Crystal clear, urine color. The head dissipated faster than any other beer I've seen!

S: Aweful. Smells like a bad champaign. Worst smelling beer I've ever encountered.

T: Aweful. Yuck. Tough to choke it down.

M: Medium body, nicely carbonated.

O: Horrible.

3.58/5  rDev +32.6%

It's not the best beer, okay? It doesn't quite taste like a beer, it doesn't quite taste like a hard cider. But y'know what? It's pretty good, for what it's trying to be: a sweet alcoholic beverage that tastes like apple, but isn't just another cider. It does that pretty well.

My wife picked up a single bottle as part of a make-your own six pack. She was almost interested in trying it (she doesn't like beer), and then I opened the bottle, took a whiff, and the overwhelming stench of apple cider vinegar assaulted my nose. I allowed it to come up in temp a few degrees, and the flavor got far worse. Way too fizzy, pale yellow, and like one other reviewer stated, I think it actually gave me a low grade migraine. I only rated it at a 1 because there isn't a 0 or less than a 1. Ugh, I rank this in the 'why did we waste the money' category.

2.8/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Had this at the Orlando Gaylord, pool side, in a can poured into a plastic cup.

Okay, first off, I don't think this is in any way an Ale. It's way more like a hard cider and that's how I'm going to review it.

A: clear golden colored body leaving a half finger white fizzy head that rapidly died. Lots of fast rising bubbles were seen.

S: apple cider with faint caramel in the background.

T: extremely sweet with apple cider and caramel dominating.

M: light with some harshness on the tongue. It was somewhat smooth as it warmed. It was very sessionable, leaving a sweet dry aftertaste and finish.

Ice cold on a hot day this can work but otherwise I'm staying away.

2.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Everything about this apple seemed like a cider. It had an orangey amber and gold colour, and smelled like an apple cider. It was very carbonated, and yet again, tasted like a cider. Crisp finish, no lingering flavors or aftertaste. It wasn't that bad, but was not that remarkable either.

Would I buy this beer again? Probably not.

2.45/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Looks like carbonated apple juice. Is it weird that the carbonation bubbles are sort of spiraling upwards instead of heading straight up? No head to speak of. Good clarity. Smells VERY sweet. Think Musselman's apple juice. The taste? Musselman's apple juice with an alcoholic kick. Mouthfeel Is fairly carbonated. Fail.

2.14/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Here we go Redd's the commercials are funny the beer is an apple ale a combination of an ale with natural apple flavor and caramel color. Fizzy white head dwindles to nothing in no time at all, large bubbled fizzy carbonation disappears in literally no time at all, apple juice looking body. Aroma apple hand soap or shampoo with tart sliced natural apple flavoring, no real signs of beer. "It's not a cider" (in my best Arnold from Kindergarten Cop "it's not a tumor" voice, it's Redd's Apple Ale, dammit...the flavor is of stale beer and natural apples is not overwhelming nor is it beer it's pseudo cider. When I grow up I want to be made of real Fuji apples not some concentrated apple flavoring that was naturally made in a chemistry lab. Body is light with fizzy carbonation really not offensive I wish I could tell you this was as tasty as any of the Angry Orchard or more established ciders out there however, it's just not...it's a Miller fabrication brewed by Redd's Brewing Co. in Albany, GA.

2.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Strange taht I kept going back for more trying to taste the alcohol. Could not find it. Very good apple drink. The hidden alcohol is cleverly hidden by sweetness and apples. I better stop now. That swishy way is goes down to easy is bad. I could drink these fast if I didn't know better. Too easy to drink fast.

2.65/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

It's a cool idea. There are some great ciders out there, and everyone knows about cider. An apple beverage that's a beer seems like a good idea, and few breweries make one.

Well...it looks like a macro from the start. It's a very pale, thin-looking brew. Granted, it looks a bit like a cider ought to look, but not like a beer ought to. The struggling little white head barely stays up for a minute or two, and very little spotty lacing is left behind.
The aroma is a bit cidery but as thin and as the appearance would make it seem and somewhat listless. I don't see too much difference between this and a cider until a whiff of corn husk comes through. Adjuncts don't make it better, and the same goes for the flavor. While the apple element presented is sharp, it loses the tartness in the flavor. there's a bit more tangy bite on the nose. Pale malts present themselves from middle to finish; again, thin.
Speaking of, the feel is that of a cider rather than a beer, and it's only the fact that this is an apple ale that the fact doesn't completely sink it.

I was interested to try this beer and wasn't surprised to discover it was Miller after I'd had it poured for me. For the masses into bland, weak and watery beers, this works if cider's too much.

2.76/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Best by July 22, 2013.

A: Pours a clear golden amber with no head whatsoever. Just a little bit of visible carbonation. Certainly no lacing.

S: Smells intensely of an apple cider, more of a fermented apple aroma than a fresh apple. A hint of vanilla and a lot of sweetness.

T: As anticipated this is full of apple flavor. Fairly one dimensional in flavor though. There is just a touch of yeastiness at the end. Not much malt or hopping really comes through. A sweetness permeates this beer from start to finish.

M: Different mouthfeel than a cider, not as carbonated or crisp. Seems to be little more ale like but is also a tad thin and watery.

Overall its really not as bad as I had anticipated. Refreshing for the summer but still not as good as a cider. Drink it before it warms.

1.53/5  rDev -43.3%

A - Looks like apple juice. No head, no lace, and it's perfectly clear.

S - Apple Jacks cereal. Apple juice. Red apple peel.

T - Super sweet apple juice. This tastes absolutely nothing like beer, or even hard cider for that matter. This just tastes like artificially sweetened apple juice out of a little kid's box with a pokey straw.

M - Sugary and tart. Thirst quenching at first (I had this after my big Saturday morning long run) but then cloyingly sweet.

Pass. Why is this even considered beer? If you want something like this, go with a higher-end apple cider or perry, not this apple flavored "ale."

3.31/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
Pours a deep golden color and it's clear as water. No head present despite my best efforts with a hard pour and carbonation is minimal.

Aroma:
This one smells of nothing but apples, not a problem if you like apples, but nothing else is present. Personally, I love apples, so naturally I find the aroma quite pleasant.

Taste:
Sweet up front with a tart finish that is distinctly apple - surprise! It's very crisp and refreshing with the alcohol being nearly impossible to detect. Aftertaste is sweet and slightly malty and sticks around for awhile.

Mouthfeel:
When taking a sip, there is no noticeable carbonation from this light-bodied beverage.

Overall:
If you like apple then this is worth checking out. It's good. it's cheap. And it's incredibly refreshing on a hot summer day.

3.05/5  rDev +13%

A - gold with no head

S - sour apple jolly rancher

T - apple cider, a bit tart, grainy

M - light, very crisp

This is what it claims to be. It's apple through and through. It's a bit tart and tastes exactly like apple cider. It achieves what it set out to achieve, but I'll definitely pass in the future.

2.88/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Poured out of bottle into glass aggressively. The Ale formed a 2 finger head that had no retention. There was a constant stream of very small bubbles rising to the top. The Ale itself was around the same color as apple juice.

S - I enjoyed the smell of the Ale considering the style. It had a pleasant apple smell to me followed by a little alcohol.

T - The first thing to cross the palette is the sweetness of the apple. The apple taste was almost a little stale to me or musty. After that fades it turns towards the malt and alcohol which fades quickly.

M - The mouthfeel on this was just carbonation and almost a little chalky.

O - Overall i did not care for this Ale. It was week tasting and seemed watered down to me. Despite being weak the mouthfeel stuck with me and took over everything else. It left almost a film in my mouth. The apple taste wasn't terrible but certainly not excellent. I wouldn't care to have it again.

3.13/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours a caramel-amber (but then again, there is "caramel coloring" added here). Points off. Very little suds, and absolutely no lace.

More like a cider than a beer, the aroma is straight-ahead apple juice. Even though the "ingredients" include "natural apple flavor". So this is less than a cider.

Taste is very cidery, but less sweet than most, and a slightly more "beer-like" finish. Not horrible to the taste, but I wonder about all the seemingly artificial ingredients, and still question how this qualifies as "ale".

2.18/5  rDev -19.3%

A - Apple juice. Very little carbonation, almost no bubbles. I don't think it's flat; I think it's supposed to be this way.

S - Very, very sweet apple smell. A bit of ether, a hint of oak barrel not unlike bourbon. Smells much sweeter than it actually tastes.

T - OK, I was prepared for the worst, but this was only mediocre. It tastes way, way more like a cider than a beer, for starters. It's not as sweet as the smell indicates (which is a good thing). Where the "ale" comes in is a watery, weird aftertaste. Think: apple cider -> concentrate, Redd's -> watered down.
Tart, but not as strong as a tart apple.
I'm not sure if I should rate the taste against a normal cider or a normal beer. I'm going with cider. And this doesn't make for a very good cider. Mildly alcoholic apple juice.

M - Very thin, a little sticky (from the sugar, no doubt). Not very pleasant.

O - OK, so I figured this would be worse than it is. It's actually drinkable, for starters, although I'll never order one. It's too sweet, FAR too sweet for a beer, but the "ale" character is very off-putting in a cider. It is fairly crisp, but it isn't really light.

Ultimately, Miller tried to make a beer with apple flavoring, and really ended up with the exact opposite. Specialized ciders don't usually go over well with my palate, and this is no exception.

If you want a cider: get a better cider. If you want a beer: don't get this. It's not so bad that I don't recommend you ever try it, but I can't say that I will get it again.

3.79/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a great summer cider. You can smell the sweet apples as soon as you crack open a bottle. Once you take a sip of this cool cider, you will be hooked. The taste of refreshing apples can cool you down on a hot summer day and make you want to drink more

1.98/5  rDev -26.7%

If it's supposed to be an ale then it should have some head... none. The body is caramel colored because it says "caramel color" added on the bottle.
The aroma is a sickly smell of old beer.
The taste is quite sweet with apple flavor dominating. No real beer flavors at all.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It's this decade's Tequiza.

2.02/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has an overwhelming smell of artificial apple sweetener
Appearance- A very light yellow color no head at all.
Taste- Tastes like modified apple juice, not good.
Palate- A light bodied brew with a ton of carbonation.
Overall- I did not enjoy this at all. But I haven't had a good apple beer out of the three or four that I have tried.

1.44/5  rDev -46.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Got this after drinking a few real beers at a bar after work with a friend. Asked the bartender what else they had available in bottles - the last thing he listed was Redd's. Well, I've seen those commercials for a little while and I'm not an enemy of apples (think about Applejack or other hard ciders), so I figured I would give it a try.

First warning sign: the bartender told me to let him "know if I didn't like it and [he] will get me something else at no extra charge."

Appearance in the bottle was of a darker apple juice color. A few bubbles in the neck of the bottle. Smell was of...apple juice, or perhaps apple juice that sat out a little long...

I took a few sips and mulled it over for a bit before looking at the bartender and saying, "what I am drinking in this bottle has nothing to do with beer." He agreed wholeheartedly. The taste is pretty much just that of a slightly carbonated applejuice, with the tiniest sour/fermented hints.

I personally do not enjoy apple juice, and this "ale" left me with a sweet, kind of grainy apple taste in my mouth. Nothing really exciting in the flavor profile outside of an initial burst of...apple juice flavor.

I give this a 1.25 overall because it doesn't taste terrible. I can see non-beer drinkers or people who opt for sweet, gross mixed drinks when they go out giving Redd's a try and enjoying it. As for everyone else, skip it and go for a hard cider or something if you are looking for an apple fix.

3.82/5  rDev +41.5%

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co. This brew pours out of the can with no head at all. The color is a nice golden amber. You can smell the apple. The taste is sweet but not too sweet. You can taste the apple. It goes down smooth. Over all this is a good brew. Better than what I was expecting.

3.6/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is a very nice ale. Smells good like apple juice with some alcohol mixed in. It is pretty carbonated and orange in color. The taste is crisp and of apples and easy to drink. Although this is not something i would get drunk on terrible hangover and after mourning taste of pure coffee it has happened more than once to me. It is perfect for a hot day or occasional drink the price is good to so i do recommend this ale.

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.