Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012)
Reviews by Roguer:
2.18/5  rDev -18.7%

A - Apple juice. Very little carbonation, almost no bubbles. I don't think it's flat; I think it's supposed to be this way.

S - Very, very sweet apple smell. A bit of ether, a hint of oak barrel not unlike bourbon. Smells much sweeter than it actually tastes.

T - OK, I was prepared for the worst, but this was only mediocre. It tastes way, way more like a cider than a beer, for starters. It's not as sweet as the smell indicates (which is a good thing). Where the "ale" comes in is a watery, weird aftertaste. Think: apple cider -> concentrate, Redd's -> watered down.
Tart, but not as strong as a tart apple.
I'm not sure if I should rate the taste against a normal cider or a normal beer. I'm going with cider. And this doesn't make for a very good cider. Mildly alcoholic apple juice.

M - Very thin, a little sticky (from the sugar, no doubt). Not very pleasant.

O - OK, so I figured this would be worse than it is. It's actually drinkable, for starters, although I'll never order one. It's too sweet, FAR too sweet for a beer, but the "ale" character is very off-putting in a cider. It is fairly crisp, but it isn't really light.

Ultimately, Miller tried to make a beer with apple flavoring, and really ended up with the exact opposite. Specialized ciders don't usually go over well with my palate, and this is no exception.

If you want a cider: get a better cider. If you want a beer: don't get this. It's not so bad that I don't recommend you ever try it, but I can't say that I will get it again.

4.5/5  rDev +67.9%

This is beer? This has alcohol in it? I thought I was drinking soda?!

I think it's a great beer for what it is; a fruit beer. Or as I think of it, a fruit "beer soda". It honestly tastes like a beer you'd give a child if that was a legal thing to do. I think it's a perfect beer for someone who doesn't like beer. It's a beer that should be enjoyed under a 90 degree summer day at noon when it's really bright.

2.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Had this at the Orlando Gaylord, pool side, in a can poured into a plastic cup.

Okay, first off, I don't think this is in any way an Ale. It's way more like a hard cider and that's how I'm going to review it.

A: clear golden colored body leaving a half finger white fizzy head that rapidly died. Lots of fast rising bubbles were seen.

S: apple cider with faint caramel in the background.

T: extremely sweet with apple cider and caramel dominating.

M: light with some harshness on the tongue. It was somewhat smooth as it warmed. It was very sessionable, leaving a sweet dry aftertaste and finish.

Ice cold on a hot day this can work but otherwise I'm staying away.

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

3.12/5  rDev +16.4%

2.48/5  rDev -7.5%

2.89/5  rDev +7.8%

Everything about this apple seemed like a cider. It had an orangey amber and gold colour, and smelled like an apple cider. It was very carbonated, and yet again, tasted like a cider. Crisp finish, no lingering flavors or aftertaste. It wasn't that bad, but was not that remarkable either.

Would I buy this beer again? Probably not.

4.75/5  rDev +77.2%

2.45/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Looks like carbonated apple juice. Is it weird that the carbonation bubbles are sort of spiraling upwards instead of heading straight up? No head to speak of. Good clarity. Smells VERY sweet. Think Musselman's apple juice. The taste? Musselman's apple juice with an alcoholic kick. Mouthfeel Is fairly carbonated. Fail.

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

2.14/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Here we go Redd's the commercials are funny the beer is an apple ale a combination of an ale with natural apple flavor and caramel color. Fizzy white head dwindles to nothing in no time at all, large bubbled fizzy carbonation disappears in literally no time at all, apple juice looking body. Aroma apple hand soap or shampoo with tart sliced natural apple flavoring, no real signs of beer. "It's not a cider" (in my best Arnold from Kindergarten Cop "it's not a tumor" voice, it's Redd's Apple Ale, dammit...the flavor is of stale beer and natural apples is not overwhelming nor is it beer it's pseudo cider. When I grow up I want to be made of real Fuji apples not some concentrated apple flavoring that was naturally made in a chemistry lab. Body is light with fizzy carbonation really not offensive I wish I could tell you this was as tasty as any of the Angry Orchard or more established ciders out there however, it's just not...it's a Miller fabrication brewed by Redd's Brewing Co. in Albany, GA.

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

2.25/5  rDev -16%

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.