Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012

This is hard apple cider brewed like ale. You can't compare it with beer or traditional ale. As a hard cider it has an excellent flavor and finish. It tastes like fresh batch cider before it begins to get bitter with age. I personally can't compare it with beer or ale because they are completely different animals. As a cider it is wonderful but as a beer it is terrible. It's like expecting steak and tasting shrimp. (418 characters)

I drank all sorts of beer,did for years ( darks,lites,full flavor and less filling ) and noticed that all domestic beer started to taste the same so I began buying the foreign brews . I tried Redds apple ale this past weekend expecting wine-cooler copy but was pleasantly surprised. The taste was crisp from start to Finnish and is one I will continue to buy and turn my friends and family onto. (395 characters)

I can't see why anyone would want a apple flavored beer ever! but this beer has just a hint of apple flavor, all the flavors are good the apple, strawberry, tea, all of them good the only thing bad I would say is that you can only buy the specialty flavors in a variety pack and if you want to get drunk you would need more then the 12 pack to get there (353 characters)

The beer flavor is upfront with some cider taste as well. I like this as its got some flavor to it. Really good tasting and was refreshing in todays heat. I have never bought this but now i would. (196 characters)

Redd's apple ale is awesomely refreshing. Taste best with a glass of ice while taking nice hot bubble bath. I don't drink anything else. If you want to get drunk, It gets the job done without making you sick. It taste great and doesn't hurt your tummy like other beers. It must have real fruit because it keeps people regular as well. I don't a beer gut, or a hang over the next morning. (387 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +70.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I really love this beer! Hard ciders are too acetic for me. I keep this in my fridge all the time. Really love it right after hot work. Also use it between other beer sessions to clean the palate. Nice and crisp. (212 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +70.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Easily my favorite "cheap" beer. Many cheap beers have a bitter taste even for beer. This one, has a fairly sweet and crisp taste to it. Like an apple. To me it pretty much does look like a normal beer, a yellowish color and all, but don't let that fool you. It's one of the tastier cheap beers out there. (305 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +63.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

very nice, very refreshing, clean crisp apple flavors come across simple non complex in flavor, enjoyed several of them and would buy again, not a typical beer, more like a hard cider (183 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +61.3%

This is beer? This has alcohol in it? I thought I was drinking soda?!

I think it's a great beer for what it is; a fruit beer. Or as I think of it, a fruit "beer soda". It honestly tastes like a beer you'd give a child if that was a legal thing to do. I think it's a perfect beer for someone who doesn't like beer. It's a beer that should be enjoyed under a 90 degree summer day at noon when it's really bright. (411 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +61.3%

A-Looks like a typlical lager

S-Strong smell of apples

T-Strong apple taste. Little bit of a beer taste.

M-Medium crabonation.

O-Really good apple ale/cider. I could easily polish off a case. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but for me this is great by my book. (277 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +60.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was skeptical, like many, but that all changed yesterday. I had a Redd's for the first time and it was delicious. It was deceptively appley tasting, but you could tell it had an alcohol kick to it. Wonderfully different. I highly recommend this to anyone who isn't into the traditional "beer" taste of beer. (309 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +58.1%

Taste: A good Miller Light with Apple flavor. Bottle states that real apples are used, I can taste it.

Isn't foamy at all. A good smooth drink from the time you open it to when its alittle warm and down to the bottom.

One of my favorite Beers from Miller Co. Even that I'm a huge Coors fan! (293 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +52%

I have to say, I was surprised. I bought this thinking I was gonna get a strong ale beer with little apple taste. This holds true to it's name, and I can taste the apple like it's fresh from the grove. It has no (Zero) beer taste at all. I do like reg beer but I also like carbonated wines. And that's what I feel like I am drinking is a carbonated wine with a kick. Over all, I love this. And will buy it again. The look and color is very light. And I think that's why I bought it. I don't care for strong dark beers or ales. At 5% alcohol it will only take two to get that happy fussy feeling we all love. Good job Redds! (623 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +52%

Pleasant after taste, tastes best really cold, relatively cheap and worth the price(WI).
Not an over powering apple taste, nothing like spiked apple juice/cider although I can admit that my experience with beer is rather lacking I can say compared to other main stream beer i.e. any Miller, Coors, Heineken, Pabst, Leinenkugels. Only beer I can actually sit back and kick the shit with, favorite over all.

From the looks of other reviews, must be a Wisconsin thing... :shrug: (476 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +49.1%

Sampled right now on 4/7/14 but had in in the past a few times. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in a "REDD"S APPLE ALE" pilsner glass that I bought at the local Salvation Army store today for 29 cents. Brand new also! :)

Pours a golden yellow with NO head and no lacing either. Lots of tiny streaming bubbles are seen rising from the bottom. Looks like a glass of carbonated apple juice. The aroma is of apples of course with a hint of grain. The taste is about the same with a good crisp apple taste with a hint of beer. Goes down easy and very drinkable anytime of the year. I like this one as well as their 'Strawberry Ale'. (661 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +45.5%

Along with Angry Orchard, this was my starter beer into the beer world. Just like carbonated apple juice! All in all, it is a great sissy beer! I'd drink it, but I've graduated into light beers (193 characters)

i really like fruity drinks and tea and stuff like that anyway. I was always partial to smirnoff ice as a drink anyway. But this is like apple cider. and it is absolutely delicious. I was surprised to see it was made by miller. It has a strong apple cider taste and is quite possibly the best vegetable/fruit beer i've had. havent had many though. i drink stuff like 4 loko and wine too, so this was really easy to drink. would drink this again. (445 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I personally can enjoy beers that mask or attempt to mask the "beer" taste. Flavour is nice, it's crispy when cooled, and overall a decent solid beverage for those looking for something not so intimidating. 4/5 overall, you can smell much so that can be a plus or a minus depending on taste (minus for me). Feels nice and crisp like I said, and looks lovely. Nice color and packaging looks. I would recommend this to anyone looking for something that doesn't overwhelm you with the taste of beer. (497 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +42.3%

Hot day on the golf course and an ice cold Redd's! Excellent! Plus it is going to help save the Apple industry. Anyone thinking that it is going to taste like a regular ale did not read the label for Apple. It may not be your every day always go to hear but it is extremely refreshing what you are hot and cold. I would guess that nine out of 10 people that I have had try it enjoyed it also and they are true Dear drink. Don't be afraid to give it a try you will enjoy. (470 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +40.9%

Redd's Apple Ale. Not everyone's cup of tea but I sure like it.

Serving Type : Bottle

Smell (2.5) - Sour and rotten apples, hint of jolly rancher with a bit of sour skunk.

Taste (4) - Refreshing and poppy like a soda. Tastes like an apple jolly rancher. It's got mostly apple flavoring but still retains a little beer flavor in there. A hint cloying but not offensive. It is incredibly refreshing and even tastes good a day or two later if you forgot you had one laying around. I like it.

Mouthfeel (3.5) - Fizzy and poppy. As far as mouthfeel goes, as far as beer is concerned, this one is totally poor. But I don't care. It fits the flavor and that's all I need. Drinkability is an A+.

Overall (3.93) - This is my first review on the new rating system which I am not really a fan of. That being said, even though I'm caught off-guard with what I usually rate with, I'll have to give Redd's a good score. It is a refreshing and fantastic beer for those days you're not feeling like craft but you don't want a macro corn-fest. This beer goes great with anything. (1,068 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +37.6%

It's not a great brew, but it is really refreshing on a hot, summer day. I'm not a fan of cider, but I like this. I prefer the Green Apple Ale to the Red because it is more tart, but they are all good. The Wicked version packs a wallop. (239 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +36.9%

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co. This brew pours out of the can with no head at all. The color is a nice golden amber. You can smell the apple. The taste is sweet but not too sweet. You can taste the apple. It goes down smooth. Over all this is a good brew. Better than what I was expecting. (299 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a great summer cider. You can smell the sweet apples as soon as you crack open a bottle. Once you take a sip of this cool cider, you will be hooked. The taste of refreshing apples can cool you down on a hot summer day and make you want to drink more (257 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +35.5%

A very simple and tasty fruit beer. Slightly better than Shock Top's Apple Crust in my honest opinion. I haven't tried the Strawberry Ale to compare this to yet. Definitely has a sweet taste and I wasn't disappointed in it. (223 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A surprisingly good apple beer. Golden straw in color with moderate carbonation. Aroma is of fresh apples. Taste is spritzingly sweet and has a pleasant taste of apples. Unlike other apple beers this has a very true apple flavor. However they did it, they did it right. Very satisfying and refreshing on a hot day.

Finished rather dry and satisfying with much less cloying sweetness than other hard ciders. Not a beer I'd have all the time, but a but quenching when you want something alcoholic, but not a beer.

Finishes smooth with crispness. Very good. (557 characters)

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.