1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 491 | Reviews: 106 | Show All Ratings:
MelEM711

Alaska

Redd's apple ale is awesomely refreshing. Taste best with a glass of ice while taking nice hot bubble bath. I don't drink anything else. If you want to get drunk, It gets the job done without making you sick. It taste great and doesn't hurt your tummy like other beers. It must have real fruit because it keeps people regular as well. I don't a beer gut, or a hang over the next morning.

10-31-2013 09:27:29 | More by MelEM711
tantin1

I drank all sorts of beer,did for years ( darks,lites,full flavor and less filling ) and noticed that all domestic beer started to taste the same so I began buying the foreign brews . I tried Redds apple ale this past weekend expecting wine-cooler copy but was pleasantly surprised. The taste was crisp from start to Finnish and is one I will continue to buy and turn my friends and family onto.

11-12-2013 21:01:54 | More by tantin1
don1951

This is hard apple cider brewed like ale. You can't compare it with beer or traditional ale. As a hard cider it has an excellent flavor and finish. It tastes like fresh batch cider before it begins to get bitter with age. I personally can't compare it with beer or ale because they are completely different animals. As a cider it is wonderful but as a beer it is terrible. It's like expecting steak and tasting shrimp.

03-21-2014 23:28:32 | More by don1951
Ryno2591

Kentucky

4.78/5  rDev +78.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Easily my favorite "cheap" beer. Many cheap beers have a bitter taste even for beer. This one, has a fairly sweet and crisp taste to it. Like an apple. To me it pretty much does look like a normal beer, a yellowish color and all, but don't let that fool you. It's one of the tastier cheap beers out there.

08-09-2013 01:22:35 | More by Ryno2591
mike83

Nevada

4.53/5  rDev +69%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was skeptical, like many, but that all changed yesterday. I had a Redd's for the first time and it was delicious. It was deceptively appley tasting, but you could tell it had an alcohol kick to it. Wonderfully different. I highly recommend this to anyone who isn't into the traditional "beer" taste of beer.

02-01-2014 08:40:20 | More by mike83
BrentBeer1169

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +65.3%

Taste: A good Miller Light with Apple flavor. Bottle states that real apples are used, I can taste it.

Isn't foamy at all. A good smooth drink from the time you open it to when its alittle warm and down to the bottom.

One of my favorite Beers from Miller Co. Even that I'm a huge Coors fan!

07-08-2013 23:03:57 | More by BrentBeer1169
courtney80

Nebraska

4.3/5  rDev +60.4%

I have to say, I was surprised. I bought this thinking I was gonna get a strong ale beer with little apple taste. This holds true to it's name, and I can taste the apple like it's fresh from the grove. It has no (Zero) beer taste at all. I do like reg beer but I also like carbonated wines. And that's what I feel like I am drinking is a carbonated wine with a kick. Over all, I love this. And will buy it again. The look and color is very light. And I think that's why I bought it. I don't care for strong dark beers or ales. At 5% alcohol it will only take two to get that happy fussy feeling we all love. Good job Redds!

03-27-2014 22:18:26 | More by courtney80
Mean_green

Wisconsin

4.21/5  rDev +57.1%

Pleasant after taste, tastes best really cold, relatively cheap and worth the price(WI).
Not an over powering apple taste, nothing like spiked apple juice/cider although I can admit that my experience with beer is rather lacking I can say compared to other main stream beer i.e. any Miller, Coors, Heineken, Pabst, Leinenkugels. Only beer I can actually sit back and kick the shit with, favorite over all.

From the looks of other reviews, must be a Wisconsin thing... :shrug:

07-15-2013 05:14:16 | More by Mean_green
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

4.16/5  rDev +55.2%

Sampled right now on 4/7/14 but had in in the past a few times. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in a "REDD"S APPLE ALE" pilsner glass that I bought at the local Salvation Army store today for 29 cents. Brand new also! :)

Pours a golden yellow with NO head and no lacing either. Lots of tiny streaming bubbles are seen rising from the bottom. Looks like a glass of carbonated apple juice. The aroma is of apples of course with a hint of grain. The taste is about the same with a good crisp apple taste with a hint of beer. Goes down easy and very drinkable anytime of the year. I like this one as well as their 'Strawberry Ale'.

04-07-2014 22:41:34 | More by BeerWithMike
stixfix

3.98/5  rDev +48.5%

Hot day on the golf course and an ice cold Redd's! Excellent! Plus it is going to help save the Apple industry. Anyone thinking that it is going to taste like a regular ale did not read the label for Apple. It may not be your every day always go to hear but it is extremely refreshing what you are hot and cold. I would guess that nine out of 10 people that I have had try it enjoyed it also and they are true Dear drink. Don't be afraid to give it a try you will enjoy.

07-29-2013 02:47:58 | More by stixfix
nicholas2121

3.85/5  rDev +43.7%

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co. This brew pours out of the can with no head at all. The color is a nice golden amber. You can smell the apple. The taste is sweet but not too sweet. You can taste the apple. It goes down smooth. Over all this is a good brew. Better than what I was expecting.

Serving type: can

03-03-2014 02:33:12 | More by nicholas2121
psugrad98

3.75/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A surprisingly good apple beer. Golden straw in color with moderate carbonation. Aroma is of fresh apples. Taste is spritzingly sweet and has a pleasant taste of apples. Unlike other apple beers this has a very true apple flavor. However they did it, they did it right. Very satisfying and refreshing on a hot day.

Finished rather dry and satisfying with much less cloying sweetness than other hard ciders. Not a beer I'd have all the time, but a but quenching when you want something alcoholic, but not a beer.

Finishes smooth with crispness. Very good.

06-04-2013 00:11:13 | More by psugrad98
armiakhe

3.65/5  rDev +36.2%

The Redd Apple Ale was a light coloring an smelled fruity especially of apples and a little kick of citrus. I liked it because it did not taste exactly like beer and it was very sweet. It had a good cider taste to it and the mothfeel was good as well.

04-25-2013 05:14:16 | More by armiakhe
sayrekulp

3.63/5  rDev +35.4%

Decided to try this because it was on sale. Not necessarily a good reason - I understand that - but I'm glad I did. While this has the apple aroma and apple juice taste I expected, I must admit that it is also quite refreshing when imbibed ice cold. The mouth feel is light and crisp. The finish is much more pleasant than a cider and is great in the Florida summer heat.

08-23-2013 00:50:48 | More by sayrekulp
Iuseryoucpu

Tennessee

3.61/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is a very nice ale. Smells good like apple juice with some alcohol mixed in. It is pretty carbonated and orange in color. The taste is crisp and of apples and easy to drink. Although this is not something i would get drunk on terrible hangover and after mourning taste of pure coffee it has happened more than once to me. It is perfect for a hot day or occasional drink the price is good to so i do recommend this ale.

12-05-2013 04:28:14 | More by Iuseryoucpu
d-dawg

3.56/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A great post-workout or "lawnmower" beer. Moderate taste of cider-apples. Reminds me of mid to low tiers lambics or framboises in the way it forces fruit flavor on to beer, but succeeds at what it sets out to do. Don't drink this out of a snifter, chug it out of its own bottle after a day of wearing yourself out.

Someone said this beer smelled of "stale bread and rotten apples"...

Well, stale bread is what is used for panini and "rotten apples" is the smell of cider so I'm not sure how that stands as a complaint. I feel like beer advocate has a lot of folks lining up to prove themselves to the beer community but this is a weird place to do it. This beer is drinkable in the right circumstances but hardly the new bold flavor we beer snobs are seeking. Still, I don't get all the hate.

06-21-2013 04:24:27 | More by d-dawg
teds101

3.53/5  rDev +31.7%

At first taste, I was disgusted. But it was because I was expecting almost like a very sweet wine cooler. But I was hit instead with what tasted like somebody mixed a miller with apple juice. It takes a couple swallows to get used to the taste. After a bit the flavor starts mixing a lot better. Definitely tastes like a cider. I like the sharp feeling carbonation, making the mouth feel rating for me very high. Nothing great overall, but it's not half bad.

05-01-2013 03:28:44 | More by teds101
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.45/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Redd’s Apple Ale has a thin, white, fizzy head, which dies right away, no lacing, and a very bubbly, clear, golden appearance (think apple juice). The aroma is much like an inexpensive, sparkling apple wine, and the taste is the same. One does pick up the slightest shade of barley malt in this, but bitterness is nonexistent. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Redd’s Apple Ale finishes crisp, fairly refreshing, and drinkable. It is more lager-like than ale-like, really. For what it is (and, that’s a style I don’t particularly like), I rate it as "good" (or a "B"). If you like flavored beer, you’ll probably like it. If you don’t, you probably won’t be thrilled with it.

RJT

03-23-2013 14:42:29 | More by RonaldTheriot
Shackleford

3.45/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beverage surprised me. Its not overly flavorful which works to its advantage. It tastes like diluted carbonated apple juice. Its not heavy like cider and it doesn't taste like a beer at all. But, it goes down easy and is very refreshing. This drink will fill a similar niche as Mike's Hard, but for people who prefer apple flavoring to lemon. I had mine out of an ice cold bottle. I enjoyed it. I won't be stocking my fridge with Redd's but who knows I might be ordering one at a bar next time I'm sick of light beer.

07-22-2013 05:24:45 | More by Shackleford
Darkmagus82

3.43/5  rDev +28%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer is a golden color with a big pure white head that forms upon pouring. The head fades super fast leaving almost no lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is very hard cider like with a strong apple juice smell mixed with just a hint of a caramel sweetness as well as a tiny amount of a bready smell.

Taste- The taste begins very sweet and of a big apple juice like flavor. There are notes of a caramel sweetness upfront as well which last till the end of the taste. While quite sweet upfront, the sweetness does fade slightly more toward the end, but still remains rather sweet leaving a very hard cider flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the brew is very crisp and light with a carbonation level that is a bit on the higher side. Both are quite appropriate for the hard apple cider flavor of the brew and make it rather crisp and refreshing.

Overall – I am not sure what part of this is actually an ale. This tastes exactly like a sweet hard cider to me. Not bad, but more sweet cider like then beer like that is for sure.

04-15-2013 01:25:45 | More by Darkmagus82
shand

3.35/5  rDev +25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Redd's Apple Ale pours out a clear golden color with plenty of visible carbonation, but a small head that drops to nothing quickly. The aroma is a strange mix of apple cider-esque note and adjuncts. It works, but just barely. The taste is really just like a sweet apple cider at first, but it brings in just a bit of a beery kick on the finish. The mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated, and the drinkability is great. Overall, a decent change-up on the cider formula that brings a bit of beeriness into the equation. Still not as good as many other ciders, but at least it tastes good.

12-07-2012 05:13:27 | More by shand
Rhf9120

Rhode Island

3.34/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Decent is all I have to say about this. It has good flavor but is hardly a beer. I pours very pale in color and is headless. The flavor however has pretty enjoyable however it contained little to no qualities of beer. It is a nice beer for maybe a cook out or something like that but I would not buy it again.

01-04-2014 23:16:50 | More by Rhf9120
alphagnome

Iowa

3.33/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
Pours a deep golden color and it's clear as water. No head present despite my best efforts with a hard pour and carbonation is minimal.

Aroma:
This one smells of nothing but apples, not a problem if you like apples, but nothing else is present. Personally, I love apples, so naturally I find the aroma quite pleasant.

Taste:
Sweet up front with a tart finish that is distinctly apple - surprise! It's very crisp and refreshing with the alcohol being nearly impossible to detect. Aftertaste is sweet and slightly malty and sticks around for awhile.

Mouthfeel:
When taking a sip, there is no noticeable carbonation from this light-bodied beverage.

Overall:
If you like apple then this is worth checking out. It's good. it's cheap. And it's incredibly refreshing on a hot summer day.

09-05-2013 03:17:39 | More by alphagnome
secondtooth

Indiana

3.14/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours a caramel-amber (but then again, there is "caramel coloring" added here). Points off. Very little suds, and absolutely no lace.

More like a cider than a beer, the aroma is straight-ahead apple juice. Even though the "ingredients" include "natural apple flavor". So this is less than a cider.

Taste is very cidery, but less sweet than most, and a slightly more "beer-like" finish. Not horrible to the taste, but I wonder about all the seemingly artificial ingredients, and still question how this qualifies as "ale".

02-06-2013 12:58:04 | More by secondtooth
rashley

3.13/5  rDev +16.8%

A The beer was clear yellow, and poured with almost no noticeable head, and no lacing.
There were carbonation bubbles but not many, and they gave a false impression of what
was to come.

S The smell was slightly malty to me, and had the distinct smell of apple.

T This is where the beer really let me down. Having seen the carbonation bubbles I was
hoping for a beer that would tingle on the tongue, but instead it was more like what could
be described as apple juice poured into a flat beer.

M Mouth feel was rather thin and watery. Had this beer been more carbonated, I would
have enjoyed it more.

O Overall I would drink this beer if it was given to me, but if I am after an apple flavored
alcoholic drink I would much rather have an Angry Orchard hard cider.

08-04-2013 04:59:40 | More by rashley
Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.