Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012

Ratings: 912 | Reviews: 176

It’s ok, aroma is like apples but it reminded me of church wine. It tasted like apple juice. I had no idea I was drinking a beer when I had this. A terrible beer all around, skip this if you can. Sam Adams Angry Orchard is much better style and I recommend that highly

bought six pack at convience store, $9.00!!!

pale color, NO foam, carbonated like soda, tastes like a sweet apple, very artificial.

this brew seems to have a confused identity. I tried it very cold and it is more like a pale favored ale, tried it european style, 55 degrees, more like a cider. did not sense any complex flavors either way, seems to be over powered by an apple flavor. the flavor is very artificial.

my girlfriend says it tastes more like an apple wine cooler than a beer. I agree.

Tasted a lot like a mass produced hard cider.

My wife picked up a single bottle as part of a make-your own six pack. She was almost interested in trying it (she doesn't like beer), and then I opened the bottle, took a whiff, and the overwhelming stench of apple cider vinegar assaulted my nose. I allowed it to come up in temp a few degrees, and the flavor got far worse. Way too fizzy, pale yellow, and like one other reviewer stated, I think it actually gave me a low grade migraine. I only rated it at a 1 because there isn't a 0 or less than a 1. Ugh, I rank this in the 'why did we waste the money' category.

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - clear yellow color with some white fizz that fades fast, there are lots of bubbles in the glass at first but they go away after a minute or two.

S - it smells like apple juice.

T - I imagine this is what you'd taste if you mixed apple juice and zima.

F - fizzy feel.

O - not enjoyable.

Thanksgiving Day beer tasting at Bro's house. Tastes like apple juice!!

1.2/5  rDev -55.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a crystal clear pinkish-amber. Head formation and retention are extremely poor. The head fizzles into nothing almost instantaneously. It goes without saying that there is absolutely no lacing.

S: A cidery apple aroma with a whisper of tartness, possibly an emaciated grainy scent. Not much to experience on the nose.

T: Crisp and juicy, as if one has just bitten into an apple. But then the sugars catch up with you. A light snap of apple tartness and a bruised apple skin flavor in the background. No yeast character at all. Sugary apple finish.

M: Light body that barely shows any substance. Seltzery carbonation.

O: There are really no beery qualities to this whatsoever. Even as a cider it's fairly awful. The cider market does seem poised to explode, but really this is solidly in the malternative category anyway. Why market it as a beer at all? It makes no sense to me.

1.24/5  rDev -54.1%

Woodman's was offering a free 4-pack of 16-oz cans with a case of any Miller product. I bit.

A: Crystal clear, urine color. The head dissipated faster than any other beer I've seen!

S: Aweful. Smells like a bad champaign. Worst smelling beer I've ever encountered.

T: Aweful. Yuck. Tough to choke it down.

M: Medium body, nicely carbonated.

O: Horrible.

1.24/5  rDev -54.1%

Clear very light golden color, no real head to speak of. Smells like apple cider and a skunks ass. Tastes really artificial with apple sweet tarts or apple antacid being primary with a stewed grain aftertaste. No hops to speak of, no real ale character, what character is there, remains a despicable apple tinged disaster. Slightly heftier than light bodied, spritsy carbobation. Cloying, artificial, yet insanely popular. Hard apple cider is fine, but this is a totally different concoction. Avoid.

1.27/5  rDev -53%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

A-looks like apple juice, has zero head and therefore zero retention
S-apple, caramel, and a displeasing off scent that I can't quite place
T-Its like a watered down apple juice mixed with a macro brew.
M-light and watery
O-not good. Its a watery apple mess that has neither good beer or fruit flavor. Not even worth trying

1.27/5  rDev -53%

try it, did not like. no real surprise ! yep tastes like apples and well apples, with lots of fizz

1.29/5  rDev -52.2%

Drunk straight from a 16 oz. Can from a local Tom Thumb

Appearance - I was upset to see on the can that artificial caramel color was added. The color was a light golden tan and was crystal clear. Lots of carbonation at first that quickly dissipated, leaving no head at all. I was hardly surprised.

Smell - Lightly sweet apples and nothing more. Not unpleasant at all, but the lack of any beer-like aroma left me hesitant to try it. I knew the brew was going to be sweet, but how much so?

Taste - The taste was heavily of apples; far too sweet (like a sparkling apple juice), tart, and artificial (despite the can saying "natural flavors") and overpowers a weak malt flavor. I tried several times to search for other flavor notes but found only cheap apple cider and weak-sauce macro brew. The finish is sour, boozy and unpleasant. I was disappointed that it didn't have ANY bitterness or real malt flavor at all. If this IS beer, it's beer for people who don't like beer. Completely unbalanced, too sweet, and artificial.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy, thin, and watery.

Overall - I may be new to tasting beer... in fact I've only had about 10 or so different varieties... but even I can tell you that this should not be a beer. It shouldn't be a hard cider either; it's an awkward amalgamation of cheap cider and macro brew that does not mix or balance well. Whatever beer taste may exist is overshadowed by the taste of artificial apple. As a rule of thumb I don't buy any brew that has commercials, and this only strengthens that guideline all the more. But hey, when they're on special "2 for $3.33", what did I expect? My cousin had the other and swears it's the best beer he's ever had, but then again he's accustomed to cheap macros and sweet malt beverages.

Thoroughly disappointed, will not buy or drink again. Shame on you Miller for tricking me into buying a nasty hard cider.

1.31/5  rDev -51.5%

Wine cooler in disguise of an ale. People have listed it with brewed cider. But it doesn't have that crisp apple taste that cider has. Tastes a little like Boones Farm. If you like really sweet drinks like Bud Lime. You would enjoy this. Should not even be listed as an Ale,but as a flavored malted beverage.

1.34/5  rDev -50.4%

When i picked up this bottle it looked very pleasing overall. The commercials made it sound almost as good as Sam Adams. However when i opened this bottle i smelled no apple at all despite what it says on the bottle or the box. the color of it reminded me of fresh made apple cider. As i had taken a sip i noticed immediately that all i could taste was a mildewed grain flavor with no caramel at all. The texture reminded me of licking sandpaper if sandpaper even had a flavor.

As i finish this review there are good points to this beer the color is good as well as me being able to hold it down. However the taste and smell of it would make me drink a Red Dog. I'm not saying its a good fruit beer nor is it a bad one but they could of at least tried to make it the way the market it.

1.35/5  rDev -50%

I've seen so much advertising (even got a cardboard carton in the mail with bottle opener) that I had to try it. PIcked 1 up at a local Total Wine for tasting sake.

I poured it into a clear pint glass from a bottle.

It's poured a clear-ish apple juice color with almost no head, and zero retention. It's almost a stretch to say that it had any head at all.

The smell was also close to non-existent, with a (very) faint cider-y smell.

As far as taste, , I might describe it an apple juice/ginger ale combo where the apple juice had gone slightly sour. It's very apple-y (as can be expected), but it wasn't well balanced with the rest of the elements. Up front it's very much like a carbonated apple juice (think martinelli's sparkling) but with sour undertones. No hops or malt flavors to be mentioned.

Light, very carbonated, and sort of sour towards the back end.

Overall, very unimpressive, and not very refreshing. If you want sparkling apple juice, there are much better options than this. If you want beer, this isn't going to do it for you.

1.38/5  rDev -48.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours light gold with no head and no lacing. Smells like artificial apple juice, not a very strong aroma.

tastes like watered down artificial apple juice with some grains. Doesn't taste like beer or cider at all. I would not believe this is beer, or was supposed to be, if it wasn't for the label calling this an Ale.

Thin and watery with too much carbonation. This is terrible. I'm sure it would seem even worse if I drank it side by side with New Glarus Apple Ale, which I like very much. This beer isn't even close to being as good as the New Glarus offering.

1.42/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Who wants a watered down, overpriced Four Loko?!

A: Clear with no signs of carbonation. Looks like rain water collected off of an abandoned, rusty car.

S: Champagne, watered down apple juice, pennies.

T: Light beer, champagne, watered down apple juice. Finishes with some metallic bitterness. Overall impression is that something didn't go right at the factory when this was reconstituted from frozen concentrate.

M: Medium-high carbonation. Tap water feel.

O: You could have a light beer, or you could have a hard cider, or you could have a Four Loko but Miller thinks you'll choose this. Good luck Miller.

1.43/5  rDev -47%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.25

Not beer. This disgusting liquid smells and tastes like vinegary apple juice.

1.44/5  rDev -46.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Got this after drinking a few real beers at a bar after work with a friend. Asked the bartender what else they had available in bottles - the last thing he listed was Redd's. Well, I've seen those commercials for a little while and I'm not an enemy of apples (think about Applejack or other hard ciders), so I figured I would give it a try.

First warning sign: the bartender told me to let him "know if I didn't like it and [he] will get me something else at no extra charge."

Appearance in the bottle was of a darker apple juice color. A few bubbles in the neck of the bottle. Smell was of...apple juice, or perhaps apple juice that sat out a little long...

I took a few sips and mulled it over for a bit before looking at the bartender and saying, "what I am drinking in this bottle has nothing to do with beer." He agreed wholeheartedly. The taste is pretty much just that of a slightly carbonated applejuice, with the tiniest sour/fermented hints.

I personally do not enjoy apple juice, and this "ale" left me with a sweet, kind of grainy apple taste in my mouth. Nothing really exciting in the flavor profile outside of an initial burst of...apple juice flavor.

I give this a 1.25 overall because it doesn't taste terrible. I can see non-beer drinkers or people who opt for sweet, gross mixed drinks when they go out giving Redd's a try and enjoying it. As for everyone else, skip it and go for a hard cider or something if you are looking for an apple fix.

1.5/5  rDev -44.4%

I'm going to make this my first review here, and I hate starting off on a negative note. Off of the top of my head, I cant remember why my decision to try this was so spontaneous, but I wish I would have thought longer about what I was about to purchase. I have been seeing it on shelves for a while now, and that is what pushed me towards wasting my money on what I thought was going to be a good time. The taste was alright. It was lacking all of the features that one would be looking for in an ale. The apple idea was cool, but the fact that it was labeled ALE left me feeling betrayed.

With all due respect. This isn't a beer. This is an apple flavored wine cooler disguised as an ale to trick grown men.

1.5/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

It's a watered down mess of alcohol

1.53/5  rDev -43.3%

A - Looks like apple juice. No head, no lace, and it's perfectly clear.

S - Apple Jacks cereal. Apple juice. Red apple peel.

T - Super sweet apple juice. This tastes absolutely nothing like beer, or even hard cider for that matter. This just tastes like artificially sweetened apple juice out of a little kid's box with a pokey straw.

M - Sugary and tart. Thirst quenching at first (I had this after my big Saturday morning long run) but then cloyingly sweet.

Pass. Why is this even considered beer? If you want something like this, go with a higher-end apple cider or perry, not this apple flavored "ale."

1.63/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 1 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I got this at the Jewel/Osco store in Glendale Heights, IL as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99, making this single can $1.67. Surprised to learn this was a Miller product as there is no mention of Miller on the can.

The beer has a clear apple juice color with lots of spritzy carbonation bubbles, but it produces zero head and zero lacing.

Smells like sour apples.

Tastes like carbonated apple cider. It's a bit tart and a bit sour, but totally un-beer like.

Light bodied and spritzy with high carbonation.

This is pretty disgusting stuff. It's not even good as a cider.

1.65/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This was another single bottle purchase I notices at Kroger. I would not buy this again because I'm not a big fan of sweet and/or fruit flavor beer and this was just that. Personally I would/could drink no more than one or two in recession. I am also unaware of the nutrients but I would imagine it would turn me further away.

1.71/5  rDev -36.7%

Smells just awful, to quote another reviewer, " like a bad yeast starter" I am reviewing a pint can and it is super carbonated and just too sicky sweet for me. I recall having a sip of this on tap a few moons ago, but either I was drunk or it is just waaay worse in a can. Like Apple juice malt liquor.

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.