1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 491 | Reviews: 106 | Show All Ratings:
Stewzer55

1.9/5  rDev -29.1%

I do not recommend this "ale" as mentioned by many others, this is not a beer. It seems like a product that is really intended for underaged conumers that hides the alcohol to help kids get drunk. I saw it and thought I would give it a chance, frankly it was a waste of $1.75 because I purchased only a single 16 ounce can. I feel this would be something you buy for a girl who likes it to get her drunk and increase your chances of getting lucky with her.

04-16-2014 04:57:47 | More by Stewzer55
nicholas2121

3.85/5  rDev +43.7%

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co. This brew pours out of the can with no head at all. The color is a nice golden amber. You can smell the apple. The taste is sweet but not too sweet. You can taste the apple. It goes down smooth. Over all this is a good brew. Better than what I was expecting.

03-03-2014 02:33:12 | More by nicholas2121
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

2.84/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not a bad alternative option from miller coors. Saw a single can where i play lottery and figured 'what the heck.' poured into plastic cup halfway thru. Much better out of can chilled. Will buy again when i want something different. Paired well with takeout pizza from Casey's.

08-04-2013 02:14:04 | More by cadizkyguy
ExtraStout

2.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Had this at the Orlando Gaylord, pool side, in a can poured into a plastic cup.

Okay, first off, I don't think this is in any way an Ale. It's way more like a hard cider and that's how I'm going to review it.

A: clear golden colored body leaving a half finger white fizzy head that rapidly died. Lots of fast rising bubbles were seen.

S: apple cider with faint caramel in the background.

T: extremely sweet with apple cider and caramel dominating.

M: light with some harshness on the tongue. It was somewhat smooth as it warmed. It was very sessionable, leaving a sweet dry aftertaste and finish.

Ice cold on a hot day this can work but otherwise I'm staying away.

08-01-2013 12:58:13 | More by ExtraStout
KYGunner

Kentucky

2.69/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

When you label a beverage an ale you subject yourself to the scrutiny of the BA Community, so despite this being an easy buzz I feel that it should be reviewed as an ale.

The color is much like a ginger ale, with loads of carbonation and a pale amber hue. No head to speak of and absolutely no lacing.

The scent is of Apple juice/cider with an airy sweet aroma. Pleasant for an alcoholic beverage but not particularly substantive.

This tastes like a carbonated cider with artificial flavoring and no actual beer quality. It leaves one perplexed as to how to rate it because it is sweet and easy to drink and if one was looking for easy inebriation this will do it. As an actual ale, perhaps brewed with apples it is not but a drink to get your girlfriend drunk, it's a sure bet.

07-28-2013 03:09:55 | More by KYGunner
Tones-

Arizona

2.88/5  rDev +7.5%

saw a special for 2 pint cans for like $3, so i figured i'd give it a go. i'll say this: redd's is not a fruit beer...or if it is, there were some serious missteps made to ultimately put this in the same league as mike's hard beverages, smirnoff ice, and so on: "malt beverage". it tastes like carbonated apple juice, which isn't a bad thing if you just got done doing yard work or any time you're trying to cool off. not a beer, but not wretch-worthy like some folks are saying. it tastes like juice...last time i checked, a cup of juice never made anyone go on a rant.

07-13-2013 03:37:58 | More by Tones-
WillWillows

2.48/5  rDev -7.5%

This could have been really good. We had a cider press when I was a kid and threw the old apples in and squeezed the juice out and let them ferment. This could have had that kind of taste but missed it. Not bad on a hot, summer day, but could have been so much better.

06-30-2013 02:05:27 | More by WillWillows
mfnmbvp

2.13/5  rDev -20.5%

16 fl oz. can, with freshness date on the bottom reading August 12, 2013. My dad got this as a freebie somewhere along the line, and gave it to me because he only drinks Miller Lite. Expectations are low considering the source.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a clear fizzy yellow, consistent with the appearance of apple juice mixed in with a little bit of beer. Is easily distinguishable as a Miller product, thin fizzy head that dies out quick.

S - Smells of nasty artificial apple, nail polish remover alcohol fumes, and vinegar. Smells pretty awful. The smell reminds me of what dyeing eggs for Easter smells like.

T - Taste isn't awful, in this beer's defense, but it is bland, generic, and highly artificial. Hardly any apple in the flavor at all, and very little else happening. Definitely fails as an apple beer.

M - Feel is mildly sticky / sugary and watery.

Overall, a failure of an apple beer, but it is to be expected from Miller. Not something I would try again, I would definitely rather drink an actual cider, & I am relieved that no one in my family had to pay for this. I couldn't see why anyone would choose to drink this even as a standard alcohol delivery vehicle when you could just as easily grab a cheap cider from Angry Orchard or Woodchuck. Avoid.

Redd's Apple Ale ---2/5.

05-21-2013 19:46:03 | More by mfnmbvp
WVbeergeek

2.14/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Here we go Redd's the commercials are funny the beer is an apple ale a combination of an ale with natural apple flavor and caramel color. Fizzy white head dwindles to nothing in no time at all, large bubbled fizzy carbonation disappears in literally no time at all, apple juice looking body. Aroma apple hand soap or shampoo with tart sliced natural apple flavoring, no real signs of beer. "It's not a cider" (in my best Arnold from Kindergarten Cop "it's not a tumor" voice, it's Redd's Apple Ale, dammit...the flavor is of stale beer and natural apples is not overwhelming nor is it beer it's pseudo cider. When I grow up I want to be made of real Fuji apples not some concentrated apple flavoring that was naturally made in a chemistry lab. Body is light with fizzy carbonation really not offensive I wish I could tell you this was as tasty as any of the Angry Orchard or more established ciders out there however, it's just not...it's a Miller fabrication brewed by Redd's Brewing Co. in Albany, GA.

05-13-2013 21:29:11 | More by WVbeergeek
LiquidAmber

Washington

2.44/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a pale apple juice amber with very little head, but a ring around the glass. Aroma is a light apple juice and an unidentifiable, somehwhat off-putting vegetable odor, it might be the light malt interacting to the apple in a way that I was not expecting. Flavor is mild hard apple cider mixed with light sweet malt. The same oddly flavored interaction between the malt and the apple juice flavors affects the taste as well. Light bodied. The flavor combination did not work for me, but fortunately, it is all so attenuated in flavor that it is not difficult to finish. I was also lucky that we got our first really warm day, so a cheap, light tasting 16 oz. can filled a niche in the day. I was fooled into to buying this beer from the "new" brewery "Redd's Brewing". I now know this is one the of the many BMG fake brewery names. The good news is that at least I have reviewed my first Miller product. Tick. Glad I did this one after mowing the grass, it was at least refreshing while dehydrated.

05-05-2013 01:21:22 | More by LiquidAmber
JMad

2.49/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

The beer pours a normal macro pale yellow color with an almost non-existant white head. It smells like a regular light beer with lots of adjunct and a hint of apple. Tastes like someone poured apple juice in my keystone light, that's about it on the flavor. It has a light feel with moderate carbonation and a slightly dry finish. Well, I could drink more of these, but wouldn't really want to. The guy that owns my local beer store suckered me into to buying the 16oz can.

04-06-2013 00:10:13 | More by JMad
Das_Reh

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

Drunk straight from a 16 oz. Can from a local Tom Thumb

Appearance - I was upset to see on the can that artificial caramel color was added. The color was a light golden tan and was crystal clear. Lots of carbonation at first that quickly dissipated, leaving no head at all. I was hardly surprised.

Smell - Lightly sweet apples and nothing more. Not unpleasant at all, but the lack of any beer-like aroma left me hesitant to try it. I knew the brew was going to be sweet, but how much so?

Taste - The taste was heavily of apples; far too sweet (like a sparkling apple juice), tart, and artificial (despite the can saying "natural flavors") and overpowers a weak malt flavor. I tried several times to search for other flavor notes but found only cheap apple cider and weak-sauce macro brew. The finish is sour, boozy and unpleasant. I was disappointed that it didn't have ANY bitterness or real malt flavor at all. If this IS beer, it's beer for people who don't like beer. Completely unbalanced, too sweet, and artificial.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy, thin, and watery.

Overall - I may be new to tasting beer... in fact I've only had about 10 or so different varieties... but even I can tell you that this should not be a beer. It shouldn't be a hard cider either; it's an awkward amalgamation of cheap cider and macro brew that does not mix or balance well. Whatever beer taste may exist is overshadowed by the taste of artificial apple. As a rule of thumb I don't buy any brew that has commercials, and this only strengthens that guideline all the more. But hey, when they're on special "2 for $3.33", what did I expect? My cousin had the other and swears it's the best beer he's ever had, but then again he's accustomed to cheap macros and sweet malt beverages.

Thoroughly disappointed, will not buy or drink again. Shame on you Miller for tricking me into buying a nasty hard cider.

03-25-2013 05:31:27 | More by Das_Reh
BucBasil

South Carolina

2.68/5  rDev 0%

Poured from the 16oz can into a large mug.

A: The beer is a thin, fizzy pale orange. Head disappears pretty quickly. On the front it advertises natural apple flavor and caramel color, so there is some fake aspect to it. Not great.

S: Not sweet like a cider should be, but not beery enough to balance it out. Seemed like a fizzy cheap white wine with some apples and a touch of malt.

T: Very appley up front and pretty sweet. Dry in the middle and somewhat cloying. Just a sweet cider basically but more like apple candy. Kind of apple juice with carbonation. Drinkable, despite what some other reviewers have said. Just more on the sweet side.

Overall: Not a great smelling or looking beer, but has an ok, if sweet taste. Obviously trying to capture some of the non beer drinking crowd. For that purpose, get a real cider instead of this one.

02-13-2013 01:25:07 | More by BucBasil
bman13

1.89/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Gross. Flat sour applejuiceish (apple juice is better) taste. Not very good.tasted like rotten apples. Not something I'd choose or even drink if it was offered to me. If you like flat gross Apple juice and don't know the difference between GOOD craft beers ( stone, flying dog, Avery, or any other craft beer) dont buy.

04-09-2014 18:46:03 | More by bman13
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

4.16/5  rDev +55.2%

Sampled right now on 4/7/14 but had in in the past a few times. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in a "REDD"S APPLE ALE" pilsner glass that I bought at the local Salvation Army store today for 29 cents. Brand new also! :)

Pours a golden yellow with NO head and no lacing either. Lots of tiny streaming bubbles are seen rising from the bottom. Looks like a glass of carbonated apple juice. The aroma is of apples of course with a hint of grain. The taste is about the same with a good crisp apple taste with a hint of beer. Goes down easy and very drinkable anytime of the year. I like this one as well as their 'Strawberry Ale'.

04-07-2014 22:41:34 | More by BeerWithMike
courtney80

Nebraska

4.3/5  rDev +60.4%

I have to say, I was surprised. I bought this thinking I was gonna get a strong ale beer with little apple taste. This holds true to it's name, and I can taste the apple like it's fresh from the grove. It has no (Zero) beer taste at all. I do like reg beer but I also like carbonated wines. And that's what I feel like I am drinking is a carbonated wine with a kick. Over all, I love this. And will buy it again. The look and color is very light. And I think that's why I bought it. I don't care for strong dark beers or ales. At 5% alcohol it will only take two to get that happy fussy feeling we all love. Good job Redds!

03-27-2014 22:18:26 | More by courtney80
don1951

This is hard apple cider brewed like ale. You can't compare it with beer or traditional ale. As a hard cider it has an excellent flavor and finish. It tastes like fresh batch cider before it begins to get bitter with age. I personally can't compare it with beer or ale because they are completely different animals. As a cider it is wonderful but as a beer it is terrible. It's like expecting steak and tasting shrimp.

03-21-2014 23:28:32 | More by don1951
Fatehunter

Oregon

If it's supposed to be an ale then it should have some head... none. The body is caramel colored because it says "caramel color" added on the bottle.
The aroma is a sickly smell of old beer.
The taste is quite sweet with apple flavor dominating. No real beer flavors at all.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It's this decade's Tequiza.

03-15-2014 06:42:41 | More by Fatehunter
Scotchboy

Idaho

2.8/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12oz bottle into a Sockeye nonic...

A: Clear, straw gold. Nearly non-existent white head. Appears effervescent.

S: Cider and apple aromas. Sweet.

T: Cider and apple flavors. Sweet.

MF: Thin, watery body BUT somewhat crisp and refreshing.

O: I am reviewing a beer, so I'll knock this particular brew for lack of malt body, no balancing bitterness, and watery fruitiness. However to me it was also crisp and refreshing and light and didn't seem artificial. It just seemed...like a macro cider.

02-25-2014 15:40:25 | More by Scotchboy
hippymtnbkr

1.28/5  rDev -52.2%

Wine cooler in disguise of an ale. People have listed it with brewed cider. But it doesn't have that crisp apple taste that cider has. Tastes a little like Boones Farm. If you like really sweet drinks like Bud Lime. You would enjoy this. Should not even be listed as an Ale,but as a flavored malted beverage.

02-23-2014 23:02:22 | More by hippymtnbkr
BeerLab45

1.73/5  rDev -35.4%

I wish I could just review those who give this a 5/5 :-)

This is all smoke and mirrors marketing. I'm sure there IS a market for this...but
that is NOT beer lovers. My sister HATES beer but brought a six pack of this to my
house for her Xmas consumption. Case closed (pun intended).

I had one sip. blah. Had to wash the taste out of my mouth with a GR8 Lakes Monster (now that is beer)

02-01-2014 17:38:09 | More by BeerLab45
mike83

Nevada

4.53/5  rDev +69%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was skeptical, like many, but that all changed yesterday. I had a Redd's for the first time and it was delicious. It was deceptively appley tasting, but you could tell it had an alcohol kick to it. Wonderfully different. I highly recommend this to anyone who isn't into the traditional "beer" taste of beer.

02-01-2014 08:40:20 | More by mike83
NearBeerPlease

Indiana

As far as apple ales, this one is one is on par with wood chuck.... I would definitely not recommend redd's to anyone. There are other apple ales such as angry orchard and magners, that blow this watered down version away. Real shocker it comes from miller brewing.... Anyone who gave this 5/5 is drunk.

01-17-2014 19:05:13 | More by NearBeerPlease
Rhf9120

Rhode Island

3.34/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Decent is all I have to say about this. It has good flavor but is hardly a beer. I pours very pale in color and is headless. The flavor however has pretty enjoyable however it contained little to no qualities of beer. It is a nice beer for maybe a cook out or something like that but I would not buy it again.

01-04-2014 23:16:50 | More by Rhf9120
StonedTrippin

Colorado

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

way worse than the honeycrisp from shock top, this is at least a step below, hardly beer. pours an headless pale straw color with soda bubbles popping. it smells like fake red apple, sweet and syrupy, very little grain or hops in this, if any at all. the flavor starts for just a second with some decent fresh apple, but its quickly overcome by an onslaught of sugar thats too much for me. im missing the essential beer elements again, and it feels more like a low budget apple juice with heaps of carbonation than beer. finish is all sugar, turns the stomach. the flavors are good but the sweetness is through the roof, rendering this undrinkable. apple definitely has a place in beer, and this new trend has me thinking and inspired, but this is a far cry from well made beer, its a soda pop. hopefully i wont encounter this one again but given its witty add campaign and instant popularity, thats not looking particularly likely.

12-27-2013 04:14:46 | More by StonedTrippin
Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.