Follow our progress ...

Redd's Apple Ale | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Pegasus on 11-18-2012

Reviews: 167 | Ratings: 1,002
2.22/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours liquid gold with a very bubbly head. The smell is that of Apples, lots of apples. The taste is also that of Apples, drinks very similar to a fizzy apple cider, or pear cider. The apple flavor is ok, but I generally find it to taste artificial. The carbonation is reminiscent to that of champagne, but the overall thickness is too much, and it simply doesn't drink like an ale.

3.55/5  rDev +32.5%

I happen to be a great fan of hard cider, that being said I understand this is an ale somehow. Other than the difference in the name I felt it came off like a hard cider. Nice and crisp, good apple flavor without too much sweetness. Apple flavored beer done damn well.

2.65/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

From a tallboy purchased at a gas station (was not going to risk a 12 pack of these) into a cold mug with ice. Color of apple juice with huge fizzy head that rapidly fades to nothing. Nose of sweet apple juice, but not overly sweet. Taste-wise, it’s basically carbonated apple juice. Not way-over-the-top-super-cloying cider, but just a nice alcoholic apple juice. Like maybe apple juice, a good vodka, and seltzer. This is by no means terrible but not anything to write home about either. I’m glad I just bought one.

3.64/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

One of our younger guests brought a case of this to our Christmas party this year. As a beer lover I was a little put off, thinking it was an apple cider, a beverage which I am not a fan of. All of the younger folk were drinking this during the evening and passing over my offerings of craft beer and macro lagers. When the party was over there were a few bottles left, and being only 5% ABV, I decided to give it a try. The label reads "Ale with natural apple flavor and caramel color" which made me curious so I opened one and gave it a try.

There is a mild, pleasant apple juice aroma which is enticing. Does not taste like beer at all, but like apple juice light. Extremely drinkable and would pair well with any food you would be likely to find at a party. Not overly sweet, but extremely smooth and refreshing. Even as a 63 year old life-long beer lover I was somewhat impressed. Devoid of any bitterness it is an interesting beverage. Good enough that I decided not to discard the remaining bottles. It is much better than apple cider, but somewhat one dimensional. Sweet apple flavor but the finish is, well like drinking apple juice. I can understand why the millennials like this, after drinking apple juice as kids, but it does not have the complexity that a real beer lover would find desirable.

I read a lot of negative feed back but I have to disagree. I love this brew. I've been a fan from the very first one.Crisp refreshing flavor any time, anywhere. Nothing compares. 90% of the time I will buy this over anything in the cooler and there are plenty of choices.only wish they made 30 packs.

2.66/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

From the clear 12 fl. oz. bottle dated Feb 15-2016. Sampled on December 13, 2015

Yellow-golden pour with great clarity and a quick lasting fizzy champagne-like head.

Aroma of apples, apples and apples with a buried malt sweetness. Kind of a wet cardboard thing too.

Thin body.

OK, the taste is a tad better than what the aroma suggests...that is if one likes apples. I happen to like apples so in that regard this beer did what it was supposed to do. Sweet but nothing I will go for again.

3.7/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 1 | overall: 3.75

appearance-looks like apple juice

smell- smells like apple cider

taste- tastes like apple cider with a hint of beer taste

feel-i have no idea

overall-great for people who dont like the taste of beer.

3.06/5  rDev +14.2%

Look: Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass. Transparent gold. Lots of carbonation, no head at all. Looks just like carbonated apple juice.

Smell: Apples with hint of alcohol, lemons

Taste: very much like a sparkling wine, with apples. Very much what you'd expect from hard cider.

Feel: Carbonation is not as off-putting as I thought. Very light and drinkable. Refreshing

Overall: Very refreshing. Interesting take on beer, but not something I'd buy a whole six pack of.

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

At first when you pop open the bottle everything seems like a regular beer. Then the first sip happens, the carbonated bubbles cover your tongue like sparkling water.

It tastes just like a regular light beer then the hint of apple rolls over your tongue, it's not strong but it's there.

This beer almost confuses the senses, it smells like a beer but with a linger of apple reminding you of cider.

If you're new into drinking beer and love cider, I'd recommend you give this a go. Considering its not a very overpowering taste and has a bit of sweetness.

If you love your beer I'd suggest you try it just don't buy a whole case of it.

Wouldn't be too bad in the summer months.

From bottle, Light gold pour with a minimal white head. Taste and aroma of apple juice mixed with a touch of light beer. It's very clean and crisp very nice on a hot day.

2.47/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

this is definitely more like a cider than a beer, which is what i would expect (i was surprised it wasn't labeled as a cider). i like a cider sometimes to start off with but i can't drink them all night.

1.66/5  rDev -38.1%

Obviously not a standard beer, but even as far as ciders go, this one is weak for me. If I'm going to have a cider, personally I like a strong apple flavor and a bit higher alcohol content 6-8%. This to me tasted like watered down apple juice. Maybe good for someone who doesn't like beer but wants something a bit lighter.

4.06/5  rDev +51.5%

Along with Angry Orchard, this was my starter beer into the beer world. Just like carbonated apple juice! All in all, it is a great sissy beer! I'd drink it, but I've graduated into light beers

3.84/5  rDev +43.3%

It's not a great brew, but it is really refreshing on a hot, summer day. I'm not a fan of cider, but I like this. I prefer the Green Apple Ale to the Red because it is more tart, but they are all good. The Wicked version packs a wallop.

2.96/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Only rating this because 1.) It's actually on here and 2.) Trying to reach 250 beers. Ummmm so it looks smells and tastes like apple juice with hints of apple cider. It's really not terrible. Just not "beer".

2.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Wait....Since when were these beers actually listed on here..? Well, I've had one sitting in my fridge since the Fourth so what the hell, I'll give it a shot for the sake of reviewing.

Look - Drank straight from the can so I don't know.

Smell - Apple juice concentrate with....more apple juice.

Taste - You'd never believe it, but it tastes like...apple juice. Slightly bitter.

Feel - Sweet, medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - It ain't too bad for what it is to be honest.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I personally can enjoy beers that mask or attempt to mask the "beer" taste. Flavour is nice, it's crispy when cooled, and overall a decent solid beverage for those looking for something not so intimidating. 4/5 overall, you can smell much so that can be a plus or a minus depending on taste (minus for me). Feels nice and crisp like I said, and looks lovely. Nice color and packaging looks. I would recommend this to anyone looking for something that doesn't overwhelm you with the taste of beer.

4.76/5  rDev +77.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I really love this beer! Hard ciders are too acetic for me. I keep this in my fridge all the time. Really love it right after hot work. Also use it between other beer sessions to clean the palate. Nice and crisp.

2.84/5  rDev +6%

One of the very first beers I went out of my way to find. If I had to describe it in two word, "Magically Mediocre."

It's like carbonated Mott's apple juice with a splash of alcohol thrown in for adults. I'm hesitant to give praise not because it tastes bad but because it really did not impress me. Refreshing, cheap, and easy to find but definitely not something I'd recommend to anyone with any sort of developed palate.

The kind of thing you'd keep in the garage for after you mow the property and just want to relax.

3.67/5  rDev +36.9%

I have been seeing the commercials for this bullshit for a year now, and I finally decided to take the test. I have kind-of been thinking about getting this for a while, especially since it is always hot as shit in South Florida, but I finally took the jump.

After a long, hard day of outdoor labor (I am normally in a vehicle for most of the day), I decided that a nice, crisp, appley ale would hit the spot. I hit the local Longhorn for some food and pregame and got a six pack of Redd's to take back to the hotel room. I was pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't expecting much, but I have had the Apple Ale from New Glarus and thought that was great, so I have some perspective.

It looked like a cider, meaning there was no head. The aroma had some apple characteristics but I wouldn't categorize this as an overwhelming aroma of apple.

The taste really hit the spot. It was clean, crisp, refreshing, tasty, and just what I needed. If confronted with a different scenario, perhaps my adulation would be ill-conceived, but in the moment, I enjoyed this beer.

Overall, very enjoyable. This was and is a perfect beer for some post-labor hot weather activities. Enjoyed it!

2.65/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Not recommended. Might pass if you were sitting around a camp fire and choosing berween this and nothing. I thought it might compare favorably with a cider. I was wrong

2.36/5  rDev -11.9%

The beer is okay. It pours a very light head that disappears almost immediately. It has an amber color and smells a bit like apple cider vinegar. The taste is a bit more like cider than beer and is okay. Overall, I wouldn't turn it down if offered for free, but I wont be buying a six pack.

2.67/5  rDev -0.4%

Its Apple alright.. LoL I wouldn't consider this a beer more like hard cider like many others have commented about this beer. I got a six pack for free from a friend and wanted to see what the hype was about. This beer is for the folks who want to drink a beer that doesn't taste like a beer. Not a fan of this one. I hate to give this beer a bad rating but I just don't like this type of beer. Think of it as apple juice mix with a little sour sour apple and carbonation that's what this beer taste like.

I can't see why anyone would want a apple flavored beer ever! but this beer has just a hint of apple flavor, all the flavors are good the apple, strawberry, tea, all of them good the only thing bad I would say is that you can only buy the specialty flavors in a variety pack and if you want to get drunk you would need more then the 12 pack to get there

2.95/5  rDev +10.1%

Strange taht I kept going back for more trying to taste the alcohol. Could not find it. Very good apple drink. The hidden alcohol is cleverly hidden by sweetness and apples. I better stop now. That swishy way is goes down to easy is bad. I could drink these fast if I didn't know better. Too easy to drink fast.

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.