Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012

2.55/5  rDev -8.3%

Redds Apple Ale is delicious, but I will never buy it again. I admit to feeling fooled by the "ale" label. Let's be honest- it is a cider. Another reviewer said it best- it is carbonated apple juice. I expected a mildly fruity apple BEER, which is not what I got. This is the same reason I hate Nutella- I really hate being lied to (Nutella because it claims to be "healthy" but I digress). If I want to enjoy a refreshing bubbly cider, I will pick up some Angry Orchard which at least has the decency to mix it up with interesting flavors. I wanted beer, not the equivalent of Mike's Hard or Smirnoff Ice. I did give it a high score for mouthfeel because I loved the bubbles on my tongue. It was delightfully carbonated. (721 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +2.5%

saw a special for 2 pint cans for like $3, so i figured i'd give it a go. i'll say this: redd's is not a fruit beer...or if it is, there were some serious missteps made to ultimately put this in the same league as mike's hard beverages, smirnoff ice, and so on: "malt beverage". it tastes like carbonated apple juice, which isn't a bad thing if you just got done doing yard work or any time you're trying to cool off. not a beer, but not wretch-worthy like some folks are saying. it tastes like juice...last time i checked, a cup of juice never made anyone go on a rant. (570 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +58.6%

Taste: A good Miller Light with Apple flavor. Bottle states that real apples are used, I can taste it.

Isn't foamy at all. A good smooth drink from the time you open it to when its alittle warm and down to the bottom.

One of my favorite Beers from Miller Co. Even that I'm a huge Coors fan! (293 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours light gold with no head and no lacing. Smells like artificial apple juice, not a very strong aroma.

tastes like watered down artificial apple juice with some grains. Doesn't taste like beer or cider at all. I would not believe this is beer, or was supposed to be, if it wasn't for the label calling this an Ale.

Thin and watery with too much carbonation. This is terrible. I'm sure it would seem even worse if I drank it side by side with New Glarus Apple Ale, which I like very much. This beer isn't even close to being as good as the New Glarus offering. (565 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear light gold colored beer with no head whatsoever looks like an apple cider.

Smells like apple cider. strong apple with a little corn, very much more like cider than beer in scent.

Starts out tasting like watered down apple cider with a little sweet and sour apple flavor going on. What this tastes like and probably is Apple Cider mixed with miller lite. Not sure who this is for beer drinkers ashamed to drink cider or cider drinkers who want to drink beer? Tastes OK, but seriously pick one don't mix them in to what amounts to watered down cider or sweetened lite beer?

Mouthfeel is light and bubbly again sort of like cider.

Overall it is Miller Lite and Apple Cider, I fail to see the point. (705 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear golden color that resembles apple juice. No head and no lacing.

Smell- Faint aroma of apples.

Taste- Tastes like a cider. There nothing about it's flavor that suggests beer in any way.

Mouthfeel- Thin bodied with a below average amount of carbonation. Sticky feeling left in the mouth after the swallow.

Overall- This is not beer and should be marketed as a cider. That being said the flavor wasn't bad. (463 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear bottle. Looks like apple juice... not like a beer at all. Appears heavily carbonated.

Smell: Not bad... just smells like, again, apple juice.

Taste: Apple juice. Or cider. It tastes apple-like on the front and is sweet and maybe somewhat sour for a split second, and then it's just gone. Not like a beer at all, in my opinion. The feel is pretty highly carbonated.

Redd's is HIGHLY drinkable, but nothing about this reminds me of beer. It drinks like hard apple juice, which isn't a bad thing, but as a beer, it's awful. I prefer this to something like a Mike's (I find that to be way too sweet), so that's saying something. (645 characters)

2.81/5  rDev +1.1%

Redd's Apple Ale is by no means a "craft beer". It's marketed to mainstream beer drinkers (and those who find the taste of beer offensive) and is owned by the world-renowned Miller Corporation (sarcasm). Anyway, I hate to say it, but I like this one. It starts sweet, finishes tart, and goes down really, really easy. You'll have three, four, five, six of them before you even realize it. I can't help but enjoy this even though I know that, based on everything I know about ale, this really shouldn't be so enjoyable. Now, there's no denying that Redd's uses artificial flavoring including caramel color, which gives it that irresistible (albeit fake) beautiful color. It's not going to pour a large head, nor is it going to have any complicated hop/malt flavors. But, for a mid-summer beer aiming to quench thirst, it manages to get the job done. Am I embarrassed that I drink it? Yes. But does it accomplish what it sets out to do? Yes. Snub your nose at it if you wish, but have a couple and you'll want a couple more.

Bottom line: I know this isn't supposed to be "good", but I'm not going to apologize for drinking it once in a while. (1,141 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -10.8%

This could have been really good. We had a cider press when I was a kid and threw the old apples in and squeezed the juice out and let them ferment. This could have had that kind of taste but missed it. Not bad on a hot, summer day, but could have been so much better. (268 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A great post-workout or "lawnmower" beer. Moderate taste of cider-apples. Reminds me of mid to low tiers lambics or framboises in the way it forces fruit flavor on to beer, but succeeds at what it sets out to do. Don't drink this out of a snifter, chug it out of its own bottle after a day of wearing yourself out.

Someone said this beer smelled of "stale bread and rotten apples"...

Well, stale bread is what is used for panini and "rotten apples" is the smell of cider so I'm not sure how that stands as a complaint. I feel like beer advocate has a lot of folks lining up to prove themselves to the beer community but this is a weird place to do it. This beer is drinkable in the right circumstances but hardly the new bold flavor we beer snobs are seeking. Still, I don't get all the hate. (794 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A surprisingly good apple beer. Golden straw in color with moderate carbonation. Aroma is of fresh apples. Taste is spritzingly sweet and has a pleasant taste of apples. Unlike other apple beers this has a very true apple flavor. However they did it, they did it right. Very satisfying and refreshing on a hot day.

Finished rather dry and satisfying with much less cloying sweetness than other hard ciders. Not a beer I'd have all the time, but a but quenching when you want something alcoholic, but not a beer.

Finishes smooth with crispness. Very good. (557 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -19.8%

12oz bottle, drank from the bottle. The ale is caramel in color, aroma smells like apple juice, some faint grain. Tastes very sweet, much like apple juice, a bit cider, very faint caramel, grain, and yeast, overly sweet, especially on the finish. Mouth-feel is very thin. Overall, I'm glad I didn't purchase this myself, but I was curious to try it. I did drink the entire bottle, but I didn't enjoy it too much. (412 characters)

1.34/5  rDev -51.8%

When i picked up this bottle it looked very pleasing overall. The commercials made it sound almost as good as Sam Adams. However when i opened this bottle i smelled no apple at all despite what it says on the bottle or the box. the color of it reminded me of fresh made apple cider. As i had taken a sip i noticed immediately that all i could taste was a mildewed grain flavor with no caramel at all. The texture reminded me of licking sandpaper if sandpaper even had a flavor.

As i finish this review there are good points to this beer the color is good as well as me being able to hold it down. However the taste and smell of it would make me drink a Red Dog. I'm not saying its a good fruit beer nor is it a bad one but they could of at least tried to make it the way the market it. (786 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -48.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Who wants a watered down, overpriced Four Loko?!

A: Clear with no signs of carbonation. Looks like rain water collected off of an abandoned, rusty car.

S: Champagne, watered down apple juice, pennies.

T: Light beer, champagne, watered down apple juice. Finishes with some metallic bitterness. Overall impression is that something didn't go right at the factory when this was reconstituted from frozen concentrate.

M: Medium-high carbonation. Tap water feel.

O: You could have a light beer, or you could have a hard cider, or you could have a Four Loko but Miller thinks you'll choose this. Good luck Miller. (613 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -25.9%

16 fl oz. can, with freshness date on the bottom reading August 12, 2013. My dad got this as a freebie somewhere along the line, and gave it to me because he only drinks Miller Lite. Expectations are low considering the source.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a clear fizzy yellow, consistent with the appearance of apple juice mixed in with a little bit of beer. Is easily distinguishable as a Miller product, thin fizzy head that dies out quick.

S - Smells of nasty artificial apple, nail polish remover alcohol fumes, and vinegar. Smells pretty awful. The smell reminds me of what dyeing eggs for Easter smells like.

T - Taste isn't awful, in this beer's defense, but it is bland, generic, and highly artificial. Hardly any apple in the flavor at all, and very little else happening. Definitely fails as an apple beer.

M - Feel is mildly sticky / sugary and watery.

Overall, a failure of an apple beer, but it is to be expected from Miller. Not something I would try again, I would definitely rather drink an actual cider, & I am relieved that no one in my family had to pay for this. I couldn't see why anyone would choose to drink this even as a standard alcohol delivery vehicle when you could just as easily grab a cheap cider from Angry Orchard or Woodchuck. Avoid.

Redd's Apple Ale ---2/5. (1,327 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -32.4%

Best by Aug 5, 2013:

Pours light golden with a heavy fizz sound that quickly ends. There is no head or lacing.

The smell is awful. Stale bread and rotten apple.

The taste isn't much better. There is a hint of caramel under the bland yeast and sweet apple skin.

It is fizzy and light-bodied. Leaves a tingle on the tongue.

I think I overrated this. This is horrible. Is this beer or a sweet fruity malt beverage? I'm leaning towards the latter. (449 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -23%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Here we go Redd's the commercials are funny the beer is an apple ale a combination of an ale with natural apple flavor and caramel color. Fizzy white head dwindles to nothing in no time at all, large bubbled fizzy carbonation disappears in literally no time at all, apple juice looking body. Aroma apple hand soap or shampoo with tart sliced natural apple flavoring, no real signs of beer. "It's not a cider" (in my best Arnold from Kindergarten Cop "it's not a tumor" voice, it's Redd's Apple Ale, dammit...the flavor is of stale beer and natural apples is not overwhelming nor is it beer it's pseudo cider. When I grow up I want to be made of real Fuji apples not some concentrated apple flavoring that was naturally made in a chemistry lab. Body is light with fizzy carbonation really not offensive I wish I could tell you this was as tasty as any of the Angry Orchard or more established ciders out there however, it's just not...it's a Miller fabrication brewed by Redd's Brewing Co. in Albany, GA. (1,003 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Gold color. No head at all. There was some transient fizziness. Looks like stillwater.

Smells like candy apples, Jolly Ranchers, and wet grain. Rough.

Tangy sugars, sweetened apple cider, Jolly Ranchers, hint of clove, and grain water. Sugary and obscene. Ugly Nutrasweet finish, like fake apple and aspartame. This might be beer?

Difficult to drink, nearly impossible to finish. Low carbonation and watery body. Not enough heft to even be very sticky.

Rating this as a fruit beer? What a joke. (498 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a pale apple juice amber with very little head, but a ring around the glass. Aroma is a light apple juice and an unidentifiable, somehwhat off-putting vegetable odor, it might be the light malt interacting to the apple in a way that I was not expecting. Flavor is mild hard apple cider mixed with light sweet malt. The same oddly flavored interaction between the malt and the apple juice flavors affects the taste as well. Light bodied. The flavor combination did not work for me, but fortunately, it is all so attenuated in flavor that it is not difficult to finish. I was also lucky that we got our first really warm day, so a cheap, light tasting 16 oz. can filled a niche in the day. I was fooled into to buying this beer from the "new" brewery "Redd's Brewing". I now know this is one the of the many BMG fake brewery names. The good news is that at least I have reviewed my first Miller product. Tick. Glad I did this one after mowing the grass, it was at least refreshing while dehydrated. (1,041 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +27%

At first taste, I was disgusted. But it was because I was expecting almost like a very sweet wine cooler. But I was hit instead with what tasted like somebody mixed a miller with apple juice. It takes a couple swallows to get used to the taste. After a bit the flavor starts mixing a lot better. Definitely tastes like a cider. I like the sharp feeling carbonation, making the mouth feel rating for me very high. Nothing great overall, but it's not half bad. (458 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +29.9%

The Redd Apple Ale was a light coloring an smelled fruity especially of apples and a little kick of citrus. I liked it because it did not taste exactly like beer and it was very sweet. It had a good cider taste to it and the mothfeel was good as well. (251 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This was another single bottle purchase I notices at Kroger. I would not buy this again because I'm not a big fan of sweet and/or fruit flavor beer and this was just that. Personally I would/could drink no more than one or two in recession. I am also unaware of the nutrients but I would imagine it would turn me further away. (326 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

This is not an ale. This is not a cider. It doesn't have any of the good qualities of either. It tastes like one of those Bacardi "fruit" flavored malt beverages. If you like those, this may be right up your alley. No judgement.
If I have anything good to say about it, it's that the appearance was good enough to get me to buy it. I'm glad I got it on sale. I'll keep it in the fridge for when my brother in law comes over; he'll drink anything. (447 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +9.7%

A - gold with no head

S - sour apple jolly rancher

T - apple cider, a bit tart, grainy

M - light, very crisp

This is what it claims to be. It's apple through and through. It's a bit tart and tastes exactly like apple cider. It achieves what it set out to achieve, but I'll definitely pass in the future. (307 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer is a golden color with a big pure white head that forms upon pouring. The head fades super fast leaving almost no lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is very hard cider like with a strong apple juice smell mixed with just a hint of a caramel sweetness as well as a tiny amount of a bready smell.

Taste- The taste begins very sweet and of a big apple juice like flavor. There are notes of a caramel sweetness upfront as well which last till the end of the taste. While quite sweet upfront, the sweetness does fade slightly more toward the end, but still remains rather sweet leaving a very hard cider flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the brew is very crisp and light with a carbonation level that is a bit on the higher side. Both are quite appropriate for the hard apple cider flavor of the brew and make it rather crisp and refreshing.

Overall – I am not sure what part of this is actually an ale. This tastes exactly like a sweet hard cider to me. Not bad, but more sweet cider like then beer like that is for sure. (1,128 characters)

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.