Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012

Ratings: 912 | Reviews: 176
4.5/5  rDev +66.7%

A-Looks like a typlical lager

S-Strong smell of apples

T-Strong apple taste. Little bit of a beer taste.

M-Medium crabonation.

O-Really good apple ale/cider. I could easily polish off a case. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but for me this is great by my book.

3.93/5  rDev +45.6%

Redd's Apple Ale. Not everyone's cup of tea but I sure like it.

Serving Type : Bottle

Smell (2.5) - Sour and rotten apples, hint of jolly rancher with a bit of sour skunk.

Taste (4) - Refreshing and poppy like a soda. Tastes like an apple jolly rancher. It's got mostly apple flavoring but still retains a little beer flavor in there. A hint cloying but not offensive. It is incredibly refreshing and even tastes good a day or two later if you forgot you had one laying around. I like it.

Mouthfeel (3.5) - Fizzy and poppy. As far as mouthfeel goes, as far as beer is concerned, this one is totally poor. But I don't care. It fits the flavor and that's all I need. Drinkability is an A+.

Overall (3.93) - This is my first review on the new rating system which I am not really a fan of. That being said, even though I'm caught off-guard with what I usually rate with, I'll have to give Redd's a good score. It is a refreshing and fantastic beer for those days you're not feeling like craft but you don't want a macro corn-fest. This beer goes great with anything.

It’s ok, aroma is like apples but it reminded me of church wine. It tasted like apple juice. I had no idea I was drinking a beer when I had this. A terrible beer all around, skip this if you can. Sam Adams Angry Orchard is much better style and I recommend that highly

If apple flavor is what you're after, find a good hard cider. This tastes like apple flavored Miller Lite, and it lacks the complex apple flavor of a respectable cider. Hell, you'd do better throwing some yeast in a few gallons of store bought apple juice and leaving it in your garage for a few months.

i really like fruity drinks and tea and stuff like that anyway. I was always partial to smirnoff ice as a drink anyway. But this is like apple cider. and it is absolutely delicious. I was surprised to see it was made by miller. It has a strong apple cider taste and is quite possibly the best vegetable/fruit beer i've had. havent had many though. i drink stuff like 4 loko and wine too, so this was really easy to drink. would drink this again.

2.83/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Tried a bottle while over at a barbecue at a friends house this weekend.drank it straight from the bottle instead of my usual pour into a glass.

Appearance - weak pale golden color, crystal clear and a few bubbles make their rise to the top. Can't comment on the head since this wasn't poured, but beers similar to this don't usually have impressive head or leave substantial lacing.

Smell - nothing strange just a very sweet apple aroma and nothing else.

Taste - the apple shines through again and there's not much else other than some cooked near Apple fruit. The big negative is that the apple tastes pretty artificial.

Mouthfeel - slightly limp carbonation and while I would assume than an apple beer would have a fairly dry finish, the sugary nature of this doesn't make this so.

Overall - it's drinkable and worth a try, but the apple is artificial feeling and smelling and more so than other apple beers I've sampled. Maybe worth a try. Ut you can probably pass on this.

3.33/5  rDev +23.3%

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I like Redd's Apple Ale. If you take it for what it is, and you like drinks that taste of apple, it's good stuff.

I've seen people try this and immediately make the "eww" face, and pour it out. But I think a lot of that is because of what Redd's isn't. It isn't a beer. And it isn't a cider. If you drink it thinking it's going to be either of those, you're going to be in for a shock. It's the same thing as if someone puts Pepsi in your coffee cup and you drank it thinking it was coffee. (Try this some time, people will freak out) When we don't get what we expect, our minds and taste buds get confused, and we don't like it. Try it not expecting it to be or comparing it to a beer, and you might see it differently.

That said, there is definitely room for improvement. It would be better with a bit more flavor.

2.39/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

looks as far as anything beer goes is weak. virtually no head, or at least none that lasted past the 20 sec mark, and zero lacing or any remnants of beer-ness after the pour.

Flavor and aroma are about like water with pressurized carbonation and apple flavoring. It's hard to think of any of the usual beer adjectives which would accurately describe this beer.

My overall opinion of this one ain't high. Wondering why it's included on the site, because it's more of a malternative than a beer.

1.24/5  rDev -54.1%

Woodman's was offering a free 4-pack of 16-oz cans with a case of any Miller product. I bit.

A: Crystal clear, urine color. The head dissipated faster than any other beer I've seen!

S: Aweful. Smells like a bad champaign. Worst smelling beer I've ever encountered.

T: Aweful. Yuck. Tough to choke it down.

M: Medium body, nicely carbonated.

O: Horrible.

3.63/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I love Redd's. I hate the calories. THEY need to make REDD'S Light with about half the calories and the same flavor and taste. THEN they will have a true WINNER!!! I would also consider getting it in more places. Like Cruise ships and ball games. THE price is a bit too much as well. Be more along the lines of the rest of the beers. THE cider prices are out of line. They would make it up in volume.

3.78/5  rDev +40%

A very simple and tasty fruit beer. Slightly better than Shock Top's Apple Crust in my honest opinion. I haven't tried the Strawberry Ale to compare this to yet. Definitely has a sweet taste and I wasn't disappointed in it.

1.43/5  rDev -47%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.25

Not beer. This disgusting liquid smells and tastes like vinegary apple juice.

3.36/5  rDev +24.4%

Pours a completely clear golden with zero head. Smells like apple pie, quite fragrant and pleasant. Taste begins with some cloyingly sweet apple, then some cinnamon, and then more apple. Does not taste like beer at all. Mouth feel is ok. This "beer" tastes ok, but it tastes like an apple cider,not beer. I'd rather have a real cider if that's what I was after.

1.63/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 1 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I got this at the Jewel/Osco store in Glendale Heights, IL as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99, making this single can $1.67. Surprised to learn this was a Miller product as there is no mention of Miller on the can.

The beer has a clear apple juice color with lots of spritzy carbonation bubbles, but it produces zero head and zero lacing.

Smells like sour apples.

Tastes like carbonated apple cider. It's a bit tart and a bit sour, but totally un-beer like.

Light bodied and spritzy with high carbonation.

This is pretty disgusting stuff. It's not even good as a cider.

2.66/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: Clear, slightly amber gold with a fizzy head that dissipates very quickly.

S: Apple. Unfortunately, It smells pretty artificial.

T: Apple cider but less tart. A wee bit medicinal. Not awful though.

M: Richer than expected with some crispness to it.

O: A little better than I expected but still not "good." It is refreshing though.

2.77/5  rDev +2.6%

(poured into my trusty balloon)

A: loud and fizzy like a cider(?)... there is absolutely no foam to speak of - looks like a cider or juice... the liquid is crystal clear as you can see right through it to whatever's behind it with startling clarity

S: smells like an artificially-inseminated, naturally-flavored apple drink... you would never know this is supposedly beer (sorry, "ale")... smells like straight-up sparkling apple juice, nothing remotely reminiscent of beer

T: gotta say, it's not all that bad, for a carbonated apple juice - alcohol is fairly well hidden... perhaps sweetish at first, but it ends up being pretty dry... no hops, though mildly bitter and metallic... semi-sickly aftertaste of over-ripe Red Delicious skin... I'll admit, there is a presence of malt in the aftertaste, a flavor similar to the one Crabbie's Ginger Beer - it baffles me why Crabbie's is shunned from this site and this is not

M: lightly sharp, thin, dry-juicy... not terribly fizzy... modicum of malt body

O: I had quite a few weekend warriors order this at the bar this past weekend (we don't carry it, or any other alco-pop, for that matter)... the other bartender offered Unibroue Ephemere to one guest, and I laughed as I watched the couple make childish "yuck" faces, passing the glass back and forth before the guy, all watery-eyed, slammed back the last half, then they both bolted... I can't really compare this to any other apple-flavored beer because this is more a fruit-flavored malt beverage - I wonder why BA hasn't removed this from the site... I can't lie - it was tough not to finish the whole glass

1.97/5  rDev -27%

Got a 6 pack cheap. Doesn't say that it's owned by Miller anywhere or I wouldn't have got it. Doesn't taste like ale. Taste more like apple Smirnoff. Very spritzy. I thought it was made from real apples but no. Natural flavors!

Woke up the next day with a headache after only drinking 3. Later that afternoon I had the worst stomach ache ever. Had to pull off the interstate and run in the woods.

Wouldn't recommend it

2.35/5  rDev -13%

For the first few sips, the beverage was acceptable. But before the bottle was half empty, the taste became undesirable. A couple of more drinks and the hiccups started. Two hours later, I was still trying to get rid of the hiccups. I poured the remaining half of the bottle out.

3.26/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured from a pint can into a shaker pint glass. A semi-aggressive pour produces about 1/4 inch of a short-lived head, leaving no lace to speak of. The beverage is lightly carbonated and a pale amber in color. I hear it has food coloring in it.

The aroma and overall flavor remind me neither of beer nor of cider. It's quite sweet and somewhat fizzy. In fact, its very much like one of those apple sodas from Mexico (or an apple beverage drank sometime in early childhood, right around Halloween). There's plenty of apple flavor, with some ascorbic acid tang, and even some apple peel flavors.

This is probably the closest thing to a soda pop beer that I've ever experienced. But, I can't rag on it. It's really not too terrible, but you'll be disappointed if you're expected beer and/or cider. The apple flavor is surely contrived to a degree, but nothing too repugnant. In comparison to the other fake fruity malt beverages or bad wheat beers out there, this isn't half bad. I might even buy one of these again sometime. It is what it is and I yam what I yam.

3.79/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a great summer cider. You can smell the sweet apples as soon as you crack open a bottle. Once you take a sip of this cool cider, you will be hooked. The taste of refreshing apples can cool you down on a hot summer day and make you want to drink more

2.81/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a snifter

A: gold with a touch of amber. No head, no lacing.

S: Light apples

T: Subtle apple tones, sweet, pleasant. Nothing to write home about, but a decent cider.

M: light with medium carbonation.

O: A sessionable cider when you're not in the mood for a heavy beer or ale.

1.9/5  rDev -29.6%

I do not recommend this "ale" as mentioned by many others, this is not a beer. It seems like a product that is really intended for underaged conumers that hides the alcohol to help kids get drunk. I saw it and thought I would give it a chance, frankly it was a waste of $1.75 because I purchased only a single 16 ounce can. I feel this would be something you buy for a girl who likes it to get her drunk and increase your chances of getting lucky with her.

1.91/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Gross. Flat sour applejuiceish (apple juice is better) taste. Not very good.tasted like rotten apples. Not something I'd choose or even drink if it was offered to me. If you like flat gross Apple juice and don't know the difference between GOOD craft beers ( stone, flying dog, Avery, or any other craft beer) dont buy.

4.16/5  rDev +54.1%

Sampled right now on 4/7/14 but had in in the past a few times. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in a "REDD"S APPLE ALE" pilsner glass that I bought at the local Salvation Army store today for 29 cents. Brand new also! :)

Pours a golden yellow with NO head and no lacing either. Lots of tiny streaming bubbles are seen rising from the bottom. Looks like a glass of carbonated apple juice. The aroma is of apples of course with a hint of grain. The taste is about the same with a good crisp apple taste with a hint of beer. Goes down easy and very drinkable anytime of the year. I like this one as well as their 'Strawberry Ale'.

4.24/5  rDev +57%

I have to say, I was surprised. I bought this thinking I was gonna get a strong ale beer with little apple taste. This holds true to it's name, and I can taste the apple like it's fresh from the grove. It has no (Zero) beer taste at all. I do like reg beer but I also like carbonated wines. And that's what I feel like I am drinking is a carbonated wine with a kick. Over all, I love this. And will buy it again. The look and color is very light. And I think that's why I bought it. I don't care for strong dark beers or ales. At 5% alcohol it will only take two to get that happy fussy feeling we all love. Good job Redds!

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.