Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012

1.97/5  rDev -26.5%

Got a 6 pack cheap. Doesn't say that it's owned by Miller anywhere or I wouldn't have got it. Doesn't taste like ale. Taste more like apple Smirnoff. Very spritzy. I thought it was made from real apples but no. Natural flavors!

Woke up the next day with a headache after only drinking 3. Later that afternoon I had the worst stomach ache ever. Had to pull off the interstate and run in the woods.

Wouldn't recommend it

2.35/5  rDev -12.3%

For the first few sips, the beverage was acceptable. But before the bottle was half empty, the taste became undesirable. A couple of more drinks and the hiccups started. Two hours later, I was still trying to get rid of the hiccups. I poured the remaining half of the bottle out.

3.26/5  rDev +21.6%

Poured from a pint can into a shaker pint glass. A semi-aggressive pour produces about 1/4 inch of a short-lived head, leaving no lace to speak of. The beverage is lightly carbonated and a pale amber in color. I hear it has food coloring in it.

The aroma and overall flavor remind me neither of beer nor of cider. It's quite sweet and somewhat fizzy. In fact, its very much like one of those apple sodas from Mexico (or an apple beverage drank sometime in early childhood, right around Halloween). There's plenty of apple flavor, with some ascorbic acid tang, and even some apple peel flavors.

This is probably the closest thing to a soda pop beer that I've ever experienced. But, I can't rag on it. It's really not too terrible, but you'll be disappointed if you're expected beer and/or cider. The apple flavor is surely contrived to a degree, but nothing too repugnant. In comparison to the other fake fruity malt beverages or bad wheat beers out there, this isn't half bad. I might even buy one of these again sometime. It is what it is and I yam what I yam.

3.79/5  rDev +41.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a great summer cider. You can smell the sweet apples as soon as you crack open a bottle. Once you take a sip of this cool cider, you will be hooked. The taste of refreshing apples can cool you down on a hot summer day and make you want to drink more

2.81/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a snifter

A: gold with a touch of amber. No head, no lacing.

S: Light apples

T: Subtle apple tones, sweet, pleasant. Nothing to write home about, but a decent cider.

M: light with medium carbonation.

O: A sessionable cider when you're not in the mood for a heavy beer or ale.

1.9/5  rDev -29.1%

I do not recommend this "ale" as mentioned by many others, this is not a beer. It seems like a product that is really intended for underaged conumers that hides the alcohol to help kids get drunk. I saw it and thought I would give it a chance, frankly it was a waste of $1.75 because I purchased only a single 16 ounce can. I feel this would be something you buy for a girl who likes it to get her drunk and increase your chances of getting lucky with her.

1.91/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Gross. Flat sour applejuiceish (apple juice is better) taste. Not very good.tasted like rotten apples. Not something I'd choose or even drink if it was offered to me. If you like flat gross Apple juice and don't know the difference between GOOD craft beers ( stone, flying dog, Avery, or any other craft beer) dont buy.

4.16/5  rDev +55.2%

Sampled right now on 4/7/14 but had in in the past a few times. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in a "REDD"S APPLE ALE" pilsner glass that I bought at the local Salvation Army store today for 29 cents. Brand new also! :)

Pours a golden yellow with NO head and no lacing either. Lots of tiny streaming bubbles are seen rising from the bottom. Looks like a glass of carbonated apple juice. The aroma is of apples of course with a hint of grain. The taste is about the same with a good crisp apple taste with a hint of beer. Goes down easy and very drinkable anytime of the year. I like this one as well as their 'Strawberry Ale'.

4.24/5  rDev +58.2%

I have to say, I was surprised. I bought this thinking I was gonna get a strong ale beer with little apple taste. This holds true to it's name, and I can taste the apple like it's fresh from the grove. It has no (Zero) beer taste at all. I do like reg beer but I also like carbonated wines. And that's what I feel like I am drinking is a carbonated wine with a kick. Over all, I love this. And will buy it again. The look and color is very light. And I think that's why I bought it. I don't care for strong dark beers or ales. At 5% alcohol it will only take two to get that happy fussy feeling we all love. Good job Redds!

This is hard apple cider brewed like ale. You can't compare it with beer or traditional ale. As a hard cider it has an excellent flavor and finish. It tastes like fresh batch cider before it begins to get bitter with age. I personally can't compare it with beer or ale because they are completely different animals. As a cider it is wonderful but as a beer it is terrible. It's like expecting steak and tasting shrimp.

1.98/5  rDev -26.1%

If it's supposed to be an ale then it should have some head... none. The body is caramel colored because it says "caramel color" added on the bottle.
The aroma is a sickly smell of old beer.
The taste is quite sweet with apple flavor dominating. No real beer flavors at all.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It's this decade's Tequiza.

3.82/5  rDev +42.5%

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co. This brew pours out of the can with no head at all. The color is a nice golden amber. You can smell the apple. The taste is sweet but not too sweet. You can taste the apple. It goes down smooth. Over all this is a good brew. Better than what I was expecting.

2.8/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12oz bottle into a Sockeye nonic...

A: Clear, straw gold. Nearly non-existent white head. Appears effervescent.

S: Cider and apple aromas. Sweet.

T: Cider and apple flavors. Sweet.

MF: Thin, watery body BUT somewhat crisp and refreshing.

O: I am reviewing a beer, so I'll knock this particular brew for lack of malt body, no balancing bitterness, and watery fruitiness. However to me it was also crisp and refreshing and light and didn't seem artificial. It just a macro cider.

1.31/5  rDev -51.1%

Wine cooler in disguise of an ale. People have listed it with brewed cider. But it doesn't have that crisp apple taste that cider has. Tastes a little like Boones Farm. If you like really sweet drinks like Bud Lime. You would enjoy this. Should not even be listed as an Ale,but as a flavored malted beverage.

1.72/5  rDev -35.8%

I wish I could just review those who give this a 5/5 :-)

This is all smoke and mirrors marketing. I'm sure there IS a market for this...but
that is NOT beer lovers. My sister HATES beer but brought a six pack of this to my
house for her Xmas consumption. Case closed (pun intended).

I had one sip. blah. Had to wash the taste out of my mouth with a GR8 Lakes Monster (now that is beer)

4.48/5  rDev +67.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was skeptical, like many, but that all changed yesterday. I had a Redd's for the first time and it was delicious. It was deceptively appley tasting, but you could tell it had an alcohol kick to it. Wonderfully different. I highly recommend this to anyone who isn't into the traditional "beer" taste of beer.

2.07/5  rDev -22.8%

As far as apple ales, this one is one is on par with wood chuck.... I would definitely not recommend redd's to anyone. There are other apple ales such as angry orchard and magners, that blow this watered down version away. Real shocker it comes from miller brewing.... Anyone who gave this 5/5 is drunk.

3.33/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Decent is all I have to say about this. It has good flavor but is hardly a beer. I pours very pale in color and is headless. The flavor however has pretty enjoyable however it contained little to no qualities of beer. It is a nice beer for maybe a cook out or something like that but I would not buy it again.

2.35/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

way worse than the honeycrisp from shock top, this is at least a step below, hardly beer. pours an headless pale straw color with soda bubbles popping. it smells like fake red apple, sweet and syrupy, very little grain or hops in this, if any at all. the flavor starts for just a second with some decent fresh apple, but its quickly overcome by an onslaught of sugar thats too much for me. im missing the essential beer elements again, and it feels more like a low budget apple juice with heaps of carbonation than beer. finish is all sugar, turns the stomach. the flavors are good but the sweetness is through the roof, rendering this undrinkable. apple definitely has a place in beer, and this new trend has me thinking and inspired, but this is a far cry from well made beer, its a soda pop. hopefully i wont encounter this one again but given its witty add campaign and instant popularity, thats not looking particularly likely.

2.37/5  rDev -11.6%

You'd be hard pressed to actually categorize this beer as beer. Based on nearly every quality about this apple ale, it should more likely be grouped with Mike's Hard and the like. Upon tasting, flavors had almost no complexity or bitterness. It is very sweet. I would call Redd's a hard cider, or maybe even a hard apple juice.

3.6/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is a very nice ale. Smells good like apple juice with some alcohol mixed in. It is pretty carbonated and orange in color. The taste is crisp and of apples and easy to drink. Although this is not something i would get drunk on terrible hangover and after mourning taste of pure coffee it has happened more than once to me. It is perfect for a hot day or occasional drink the price is good to so i do recommend this ale.

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance - a clear dark golden color, with zero head.

Smell - It smells like apples of course.

Taste - Like the smell, apples; with a bit of malt/hops to it.

Mouthfeel - Light beer, with a good amount of carbonation.

Overall - a decent apple beer, an easy drinking beer.

I drank all sorts of beer,did for years ( darks,lites,full flavor and less filling ) and noticed that all domestic beer started to taste the same so I began buying the foreign brews . I tried Redds apple ale this past weekend expecting wine-cooler copy but was pleasantly surprised. The taste was crisp from start to Finnish and is one I will continue to buy and turn my friends and family onto.

Redd's apple ale is awesomely refreshing. Taste best with a glass of ice while taking nice hot bubble bath. I don't drink anything else. If you want to get drunk, It gets the job done without making you sick. It taste great and doesn't hurt your tummy like other beers. It must have real fruit because it keeps people regular as well. I don't a beer gut, or a hang over the next morning.

1.95/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours a transparent yellow color with no head and no lacing a lot of fizz like a soda. Smell is rank like rotting apples in a field. Taste is sweet apples with no complexity, spice or bitterness. Absolutely no hop taste. This not a beer but more like a hard cider soda.

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.