Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012

4.16/5  rDev +49.6%

Sampled right now on 4/7/14 but had in in the past a few times. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in a "REDD"S APPLE ALE" pilsner glass that I bought at the local Salvation Army store today for 29 cents. Brand new also! :)

Pours a golden yellow with NO head and no lacing either. Lots of tiny streaming bubbles are seen rising from the bottom. Looks like a glass of carbonated apple juice. The aroma is of apples of course with a hint of grain. The taste is about the same with a good crisp apple taste with a hint of beer. Goes down easy and very drinkable anytime of the year. I like this one as well as their 'Strawberry Ale'. (661 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +52.5%

I have to say, I was surprised. I bought this thinking I was gonna get a strong ale beer with little apple taste. This holds true to it's name, and I can taste the apple like it's fresh from the grove. It has no (Zero) beer taste at all. I do like reg beer but I also like carbonated wines. And that's what I feel like I am drinking is a carbonated wine with a kick. Over all, I love this. And will buy it again. The look and color is very light. And I think that's why I bought it. I don't care for strong dark beers or ales. At 5% alcohol it will only take two to get that happy fussy feeling we all love. Good job Redds! (623 characters)

This is hard apple cider brewed like ale. You can't compare it with beer or traditional ale. As a hard cider it has an excellent flavor and finish. It tastes like fresh batch cider before it begins to get bitter with age. I personally can't compare it with beer or ale because they are completely different animals. As a cider it is wonderful but as a beer it is terrible. It's like expecting steak and tasting shrimp. (418 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -28.8%

If it's supposed to be an ale then it should have some head... none. The body is caramel colored because it says "caramel color" added on the bottle.
The aroma is a sickly smell of old beer.
The taste is quite sweet with apple flavor dominating. No real beer flavors at all.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It's this decade's Tequiza. (351 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +37.4%

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co. This brew pours out of the can with no head at all. The color is a nice golden amber. You can smell the apple. The taste is sweet but not too sweet. You can taste the apple. It goes down smooth. Over all this is a good brew. Better than what I was expecting. (299 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12oz bottle into a Sockeye nonic...

A: Clear, straw gold. Nearly non-existent white head. Appears effervescent.

S: Cider and apple aromas. Sweet.

T: Cider and apple flavors. Sweet.

MF: Thin, watery body BUT somewhat crisp and refreshing.

O: I am reviewing a beer, so I'll knock this particular brew for lack of malt body, no balancing bitterness, and watery fruitiness. However to me it was also crisp and refreshing and light and didn't seem artificial. It just seemed...like a macro cider. (496 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -52.9%

Wine cooler in disguise of an ale. People have listed it with brewed cider. But it doesn't have that crisp apple taste that cider has. Tastes a little like Boones Farm. If you like really sweet drinks like Bud Lime. You would enjoy this. Should not even be listed as an Ale,but as a flavored malted beverage. (308 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -38.1%

I wish I could just review those who give this a 5/5 :-)

This is all smoke and mirrors marketing. I'm sure there IS a market for this...but
that is NOT beer lovers. My sister HATES beer but brought a six pack of this to my
house for her Xmas consumption. Case closed (pun intended).

I had one sip. blah. Had to wash the taste out of my mouth with a GR8 Lakes Monster (now that is beer) (388 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +61.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was skeptical, like many, but that all changed yesterday. I had a Redd's for the first time and it was delicious. It was deceptively appley tasting, but you could tell it had an alcohol kick to it. Wonderfully different. I highly recommend this to anyone who isn't into the traditional "beer" taste of beer. (309 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -25.5%

As far as apple ales, this one is one is on par with wood chuck.... I would definitely not recommend redd's to anyone. There are other apple ales such as angry orchard and magners, that blow this watered down version away. Real shocker it comes from miller brewing.... Anyone who gave this 5/5 is drunk. (303 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Decent is all I have to say about this. It has good flavor but is hardly a beer. I pours very pale in color and is headless. The flavor however has pretty enjoyable however it contained little to no qualities of beer. It is a nice beer for maybe a cook out or something like that but I would not buy it again. (309 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

way worse than the honeycrisp from shock top, this is at least a step below, hardly beer. pours an headless pale straw color with soda bubbles popping. it smells like fake red apple, sweet and syrupy, very little grain or hops in this, if any at all. the flavor starts for just a second with some decent fresh apple, but its quickly overcome by an onslaught of sugar thats too much for me. im missing the essential beer elements again, and it feels more like a low budget apple juice with heaps of carbonation than beer. finish is all sugar, turns the stomach. the flavors are good but the sweetness is through the roof, rendering this undrinkable. apple definitely has a place in beer, and this new trend has me thinking and inspired, but this is a far cry from well made beer, its a soda pop. hopefully i wont encounter this one again but given its witty add campaign and instant popularity, thats not looking particularly likely. (932 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -14.7%

You'd be hard pressed to actually categorize this beer as beer. Based on nearly every quality about this apple ale, it should more likely be grouped with Mike's Hard and the like. Upon tasting, flavors had almost no complexity or bitterness. It is very sweet. I would call Redd's a hard cider, or maybe even a hard apple juice. (327 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is a very nice ale. Smells good like apple juice with some alcohol mixed in. It is pretty carbonated and orange in color. The taste is crisp and of apples and easy to drink. Although this is not something i would get drunk on terrible hangover and after mourning taste of pure coffee it has happened more than once to me. It is perfect for a hot day or occasional drink the price is good to so i do recommend this ale. (423 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance - a clear dark golden color, with zero head.

Smell - It smells like apples of course.

Taste - Like the smell, apples; with a bit of malt/hops to it.

Mouthfeel - Light beer, with a good amount of carbonation.

Overall - a decent apple beer, an easy drinking beer. (276 characters)

I drank all sorts of beer,did for years ( darks,lites,full flavor and less filling ) and noticed that all domestic beer started to taste the same so I began buying the foreign brews . I tried Redds apple ale this past weekend expecting wine-cooler copy but was pleasantly surprised. The taste was crisp from start to Finnish and is one I will continue to buy and turn my friends and family onto. (395 characters)

Redd's apple ale is awesomely refreshing. Taste best with a glass of ice while taking nice hot bubble bath. I don't drink anything else. If you want to get drunk, It gets the job done without making you sick. It taste great and doesn't hurt your tummy like other beers. It must have real fruit because it keeps people regular as well. I don't a beer gut, or a hang over the next morning. (387 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours a transparent yellow color with no head and no lacing a lot of fizz like a soda. Smell is rank like rotting apples in a field. Taste is sweet apples with no complexity, spice or bitterness. Absolutely no hop taste. This not a beer but more like a hard cider soda. (269 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light gold color, with no head at all and no lacing.

S: The aroma contains apples as you would expect and very light malts.

T: The taste is very cider-like and has a strong apple flavor of course. There’s no hops presence at all and the malt character is very thin. It is fairly well-balanced though since the sweetness isn’t too intense. The after-taste is tart.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, to me it seems like a cider with carbonation. Overall, there aren’t a lot of beer-like qualities to it and therefore I didn’t score it very low. (742 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -9.4%

12oz bottle poured into a duvel glass for the goof.

Look is like apple cider, small fizzy head like sodey pop that fades quickly. Smell is very odd and unpleasant. I can't put my finger on it, but it's dead and rotting. Taste is much better - like a mild cider with a slightly wheaty beer finish.

Okay "beer" I might drink it again if there are no other options. (364 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Poured out of bottle into glass aggressively. The Ale formed a 2 finger head that had no retention. There was a constant stream of very small bubbles rising to the top. The Ale itself was around the same color as apple juice.

S - I enjoyed the smell of the Ale considering the style. It had a pleasant apple smell to me followed by a little alcohol.

T - The first thing to cross the palette is the sweetness of the apple. The apple taste was almost a little stale to me or musty. After that fades it turns towards the malt and alcohol which fades quickly.

M - The mouthfeel on this was just carbonation and almost a little chalky.

O - Overall i did not care for this Ale. It was week tasting and seemed watered down to me. Despite being weak the mouthfeel stuck with me and took over everything else. It left almost a film in my mouth. The apple taste wasn't terrible but certainly not excellent. I wouldn't care to have it again. (941 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Looks like carbonated apple juice. Is it weird that the carbonation bubbles are sort of spiraling upwards instead of heading straight up? No head to speak of. Good clarity. Smells VERY sweet. Think Musselman's apple juice. The taste? Musselman's apple juice with an alcoholic kick. Mouthfeel Is fairly carbonated. Fail. (319 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -2.5%

A-Left it in the bottle,didn't seem it would matter if I poured it, has no beer/ale properties so why waste the time and effort. It is standard apple juice yellow.

S-Has a spoiled apple smell, no bueno.

T-Kinda has an weak apple taste, but does appear afterwards, could be better.

M-Crisp, carbonated.

O- It is alright, would be good on a hot day, kinda like sparkling apple juice with a small kick.
Would not recommend to persons I liked. (444 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Should have known from the commercials that this was a miller product. Still a tick is a tick.

A - What head? Fizzes out to nothing and the color looks like crushed apple pee.
S - Smell agreed is skunky apple (is that even possible? Do they brew with moldy apples?) Regardless its not totally unpleasant but its not great.
T - Well it's not as bad or "evil" as most say. Frankly its somewhat refreshing with granny smith sour apple flavor, some cider, and some malt.
M - Not much beer body more of like a wine cooler.

Overall I kind of dig dig it but no repeat purchase. I can kind of appreciate what miller did making a less sour or dry apple cider based alcohol beverage. Still I prefer beer so I am wondering why this is even on a beer site.

Is this cideradvocate.com? (774 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -34.9%

My Girlfriend decided to bring this home one night wanting to give it a try. It tastes like an extremely sour beer from a rotting corpse. The taste of this "Apple Ale" is more like "Asshole smell". I do not recommend this "Apple Ale" to anyone. (244 characters)

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.