Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012)

Zaphog, Mar 17, 2013

Garrett092112, Mar 16, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -15.7%

OregonGrown7, Mar 15, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

Cvescalante, Mar 12, 2013

nsnd, Mar 12, 2013

bought six pack at convience store, $9.00!!!

pale color, NO foam, carbonated like soda, tastes like a sweet apple, very artificial.

this brew seems to have a confused identity. I tried it very cold and it is more like a pale favored ale, tried it european style, 55 degrees, more like a cider. did not sense any complex flavors either way, seems to be over powered by an apple flavor. the flavor is very artificial.

my girlfriend says it tastes more like an apple wine cooler than a beer. I agree.

spokes100, Mar 10, 2013
1.88/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a clear 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Pale gold in color, with a soft-drink like effervescence that leaves the fastet fading head of thin foam that I have ever seen, leaving what appears to be a glass of apple juice.
Aroma-Faint apple juice
Taste-More apple juice. Cloyingly sweet, off-putting imitation of a beer. Is this supposed to be a cider? It fails in either attempt. Could not manage more than a few sips.
I know, I know "On a hot day..." Sorry I'd rather have a chilled glass of real apple juice. Avoid.

hosehead83, Mar 10, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

TheDrunkGnoll, Mar 08, 2013
2.74/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

My brother in law bought some, assured me it was amazing. I always take what he says about beers with a grain of salt due to him not truly liking beer.

Color- A pale amber/yellowish color. Think apple juice.

Smell-Again apple juice, with a hint of beer like sent hidden in there somewhere.

Taste-Didn't taste terrible. In fact my first thought was that it went down a little too easy. I can see someone getting very drunk, very quick because you can pound these down with out noticing.

Mouthfeel- Definitely left wanting. Very thin, even apple juice might have a bit more umpf than that.

Overall, an average/slightly less than average brew. I might not turn one down when offered, but I seriously doubt I'll ever buy it myself. If I am looking for the apple flavor, I'll stick to Woodchuck or Angry Orchard.

Mumps, Mar 08, 2013

maksimnetrebchuk, Mar 07, 2013
1.26/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

A-looks like apple juice, has zero head and therefore zero retention
S-apple, caramel, and a displeasing off scent that I can't quite place
T-Its like a watered down apple juice mixed with a macro brew.
M-light and watery
O-not good. Its a watery apple mess that has neither good beer or fruit flavor. Not even worth trying

atr2605, Mar 06, 2013

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

Gschaf, Feb 28, 2013

Haybeerman, Feb 27, 2013
1.44/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Got this after drinking a few real beers at a bar after work with a friend. Asked the bartender what else they had available in bottles - the last thing he listed was Redd's. Well, I've seen those commercials for a little while and I'm not an enemy of apples (think about Applejack or other hard ciders), so I figured I would give it a try.

First warning sign: the bartender told me to let him "know if I didn't like it and [he] will get me something else at no extra charge."

Appearance in the bottle was of a darker apple juice color. A few bubbles in the neck of the bottle. Smell was of...apple juice, or perhaps apple juice that sat out a little long...

I took a few sips and mulled it over for a bit before looking at the bartender and saying, "what I am drinking in this bottle has nothing to do with beer." He agreed wholeheartedly. The taste is pretty much just that of a slightly carbonated applejuice, with the tiniest sour/fermented hints.

I personally do not enjoy apple juice, and this "ale" left me with a sweet, kind of grainy apple taste in my mouth. Nothing really exciting in the flavor profile outside of an initial burst of...apple juice flavor.

I give this a 1.25 overall because it doesn't taste terrible. I can see non-beer drinkers or people who opt for sweet, gross mixed drinks when they go out giving Redd's a try and enjoying it. As for everyone else, skip it and go for a hard cider or something if you are looking for an apple fix.

ko21361, Feb 27, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -34.5%

richkrull, Feb 27, 2013

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - clear yellow color with some white fizz that fades fast, there are lots of bubbles in the glass at first but they go away after a minute or two.

S - it smells like apple juice.

T - I imagine this is what you'd taste if you mixed apple juice and zima.

F - fizzy feel.

O - not enjoyable.

JoeyBeerBelly, Feb 26, 2013

hydroplaner, Feb 25, 2013

oldvines, Feb 25, 2013
Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.