Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012

2.63/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear bottle. Looks like apple juice... not like a beer at all. Appears heavily carbonated.

Smell: Not bad... just smells like, again, apple juice.

Taste: Apple juice. Or cider. It tastes apple-like on the front and is sweet and maybe somewhat sour for a split second, and then it's just gone. Not like a beer at all, in my opinion. The feel is pretty highly carbonated.

Redd's is HIGHLY drinkable, but nothing about this reminds me of beer. It drinks like hard apple juice, which isn't a bad thing, but as a beer, it's awful. I prefer this to something like a Mike's (I find that to be way too sweet), so that's saying something.

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

2.81/5  rDev +4.9%

Redd's Apple Ale is by no means a "craft beer". It's marketed to mainstream beer drinkers (and those who find the taste of beer offensive) and is owned by the world-renowned Miller Corporation (sarcasm). Anyway, I hate to say it, but I like this one. It starts sweet, finishes tart, and goes down really, really easy. You'll have three, four, five, six of them before you even realize it. I can't help but enjoy this even though I know that, based on everything I know about ale, this really shouldn't be so enjoyable. Now, there's no denying that Redd's uses artificial flavoring including caramel color, which gives it that irresistible (albeit fake) beautiful color. It's not going to pour a large head, nor is it going to have any complicated hop/malt flavors. But, for a mid-summer beer aiming to quench thirst, it manages to get the job done. Am I embarrassed that I drink it? Yes. But does it accomplish what it sets out to do? Yes. Snub your nose at it if you wish, but have a couple and you'll want a couple more.

Bottom line: I know this isn't supposed to be "good", but I'm not going to apologize for drinking it once in a while.

2.48/5  rDev -7.5%

This could have been really good. We had a cider press when I was a kid and threw the old apples in and squeezed the juice out and let them ferment. This could have had that kind of taste but missed it. Not bad on a hot, summer day, but could have been so much better.

2.25/5  rDev -16%

3.75/5  rDev +39.9%

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

3.57/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A great post-workout or "lawnmower" beer. Moderate taste of cider-apples. Reminds me of mid to low tiers lambics or framboises in the way it forces fruit flavor on to beer, but succeeds at what it sets out to do. Don't drink this out of a snifter, chug it out of its own bottle after a day of wearing yourself out.

Someone said this beer smelled of "stale bread and rotten apples"...

Well, stale bread is what is used for panini and "rotten apples" is the smell of cider so I'm not sure how that stands as a complaint. I feel like beer advocate has a lot of folks lining up to prove themselves to the beer community but this is a weird place to do it. This beer is drinkable in the right circumstances but hardly the new bold flavor we beer snobs are seeking. Still, I don't get all the hate.

3.25/5  rDev +21.3%

1.5/5  rDev -44%

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.