Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 878 | Reviews: 158
2.55/5  rDev -5.6%

Redds Apple Ale is delicious, but I will never buy it again. I admit to feeling fooled by the "ale" label. Let's be honest- it is a cider. Another reviewer said it best- it is carbonated apple juice. I expected a mildly fruity apple BEER, which is not what I got. This is the same reason I hate Nutella- I really hate being lied to (Nutella because it claims to be "healthy" but I digress). If I want to enjoy a refreshing bubbly cider, I will pick up some Angry Orchard which at least has the decency to mix it up with interesting flavors. I wanted beer, not the equivalent of Mike's Hard or Smirnoff Ice. I did give it a high score for mouthfeel because I loved the bubbles on my tongue. It was delightfully carbonated.

2.85/5  rDev +5.6%

saw a special for 2 pint cans for like $3, so i figured i'd give it a go. i'll say this: redd's is not a fruit beer...or if it is, there were some serious missteps made to ultimately put this in the same league as mike's hard beverages, smirnoff ice, and so on: "malt beverage". it tastes like carbonated apple juice, which isn't a bad thing if you just got done doing yard work or any time you're trying to cool off. not a beer, but not wretch-worthy like some folks are saying. it tastes like juice...last time i checked, a cup of juice never made anyone go on a rant.

2.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.5/5  rDev +29.6%

4.41/5  rDev +63.3%

Taste: A good Miller Light with Apple flavor. Bottle states that real apples are used, I can taste it.

Isn't foamy at all. A good smooth drink from the time you open it to when its alittle warm and down to the bottom.

One of my favorite Beers from Miller Co. Even that I'm a huge Coors fan!

1.38/5  rDev -48.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours light gold with no head and no lacing. Smells like artificial apple juice, not a very strong aroma.

tastes like watered down artificial apple juice with some grains. Doesn't taste like beer or cider at all. I would not believe this is beer, or was supposed to be, if it wasn't for the label calling this an Ale.

Thin and watery with too much carbonation. This is terrible. I'm sure it would seem even worse if I drank it side by side with New Glarus Apple Ale, which I like very much. This beer isn't even close to being as good as the New Glarus offering.

2.57/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear light gold colored beer with no head whatsoever looks like an apple cider.

Smells like apple cider. strong apple with a little corn, very much more like cider than beer in scent.

Starts out tasting like watered down apple cider with a little sweet and sour apple flavor going on. What this tastes like and probably is Apple Cider mixed with miller lite. Not sure who this is for beer drinkers ashamed to drink cider or cider drinkers who want to drink beer? Tastes OK, but seriously pick one don't mix them in to what amounts to watered down cider or sweetened lite beer?

Mouthfeel is light and bubbly again sort of like cider.

Overall it is Miller Lite and Apple Cider, I fail to see the point.

2.54/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear golden color that resembles apple juice. No head and no lacing.

Smell- Faint aroma of apples.

Taste- Tastes like a cider. There nothing about it's flavor that suggests beer in any way.

Mouthfeel- Thin bodied with a below average amount of carbonation. Sticky feeling left in the mouth after the swallow.

Overall- This is not beer and should be marketed as a cider. That being said the flavor wasn't bad.

2.63/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear bottle. Looks like apple juice... not like a beer at all. Appears heavily carbonated.

Smell: Not bad... just smells like, again, apple juice.

Taste: Apple juice. Or cider. It tastes apple-like on the front and is sweet and maybe somewhat sour for a split second, and then it's just gone. Not like a beer at all, in my opinion. The feel is pretty highly carbonated.

Redd's is HIGHLY drinkable, but nothing about this reminds me of beer. It drinks like hard apple juice, which isn't a bad thing, but as a beer, it's awful. I prefer this to something like a Mike's (I find that to be way too sweet), so that's saying something.

1.75/5  rDev -35.2%

2.81/5  rDev +4.1%

Redd's Apple Ale is by no means a "craft beer". It's marketed to mainstream beer drinkers (and those who find the taste of beer offensive) and is owned by the world-renowned Miller Corporation (sarcasm). Anyway, I hate to say it, but I like this one. It starts sweet, finishes tart, and goes down really, really easy. You'll have three, four, five, six of them before you even realize it. I can't help but enjoy this even though I know that, based on everything I know about ale, this really shouldn't be so enjoyable. Now, there's no denying that Redd's uses artificial flavoring including caramel color, which gives it that irresistible (albeit fake) beautiful color. It's not going to pour a large head, nor is it going to have any complicated hop/malt flavors. But, for a mid-summer beer aiming to quench thirst, it manages to get the job done. Am I embarrassed that I drink it? Yes. But does it accomplish what it sets out to do? Yes. Snub your nose at it if you wish, but have a couple and you'll want a couple more.

Bottom line: I know this isn't supposed to be "good", but I'm not going to apologize for drinking it once in a while.

2.48/5  rDev -8.1%

This could have been really good. We had a cider press when I was a kid and threw the old apples in and squeezed the juice out and let them ferment. This could have had that kind of taste but missed it. Not bad on a hot, summer day, but could have been so much better.

2.25/5  rDev -16.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.