Redd's Apple Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Pegasus on 11-18-2012

Ratings: 912 | Reviews: 176
4.59/5  rDev +70%

My drink of choice anytime

3.58/5  rDev +32.6%

It's not the best beer, okay? It doesn't quite taste like a beer, it doesn't quite taste like a hard cider. But y'know what? It's pretty good, for what it's trying to be: a sweet alcoholic beverage that tastes like apple, but isn't just another cider. It does that pretty well.

2.02/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has an overwhelming smell of artificial apple sweetener
Appearance- A very light yellow color no head at all.
Taste- Tastes like modified apple juice, not good.
Palate- A light bodied brew with a ton of carbonation.
Overall- I did not enjoy this at all. But I haven't had a good apple beer out of the three or four that I have tried.

2.77/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I got this on a lark, just because I wanted something a little fruity, and as I was at a diner that serves beer, and everything else was your typical light beer fare, I thought I'd give this weak Miller product a try. The color is a light golden, very fizzy, with no head or lacing. The smell is of tinny apple, and the taste is similar, very light and carbonated, with a watery mix of water and... beer... maybe? Actually it tasted all right for what it is, not awful, not good either.

3.39/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I would have a hard time calling this a vegetable ale, or even a beer at all. However, as a Swede living in America, I've been looking for something that tastes like a Scandinavian-styled cider for quite some time. This might be it. Very sweet. Sufficiently tasty. Incredibly carbonated. Awful beer. Good for what it is.

2.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is a glorified fruit/vegetable beer at best, reminds me more of a Seagrams more than anything else. It's certainly better than it's strawberry ale counterpart, but not by much. Overall, it's tasty, not much of a beer really, but it does go good with some Fire-bally.

2.19/5  rDev -18.9%

uhhhh....it tastes crappy. like a stale apple juice with a kick

Crappity crap crap crap crap

2.58/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Super clear light gold. Zero head or retention.

Smell: It does not smell like a beer, I do not pick up any hints of yeast. Smells like apples and sugar.

Taste: It tastes like carbonated apple juice, no hints of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Way too carbonated, it almost hurts.

Overall: While it is not a very good "beer", it does taste good enough to drink if you are looking for a cider or something similar. Probably better than the other options.

1.71/5  rDev -36.7%

Smells just awful, to quote another reviewer, " like a bad yeast starter" I am reviewing a pint can and it is super carbonated and just too sicky sweet for me. I recall having a sip of this on tap a few moons ago, but either I was drunk or it is just waaay worse in a can. Like Apple juice malt liquor.

2.28/5  rDev -15.6%

First off--this is not a hard cider, you simpletons.

I'll drink ciders. There are some excellent craft ciders out there, and even the easy to find macro stuff is still plenty quaffable. Heck, I'll even drink an alcopop here and there. And fruit beers? Fruit beers are awesome! Not just the New Glarus stuff, either. I'm fond of trashy, accessible stuff, like Magic Hat's #9, and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

What I'm getting at is that I'm not so much of a snob to refuse to drink fruity booze. I am, however, quite leery of macro fruit beers, as they tend to, well, they tend to suck.

Redd's was the best thing at a recent party. It smelled horrendous, like a bad yeast starter, but tasted like a low-hopped, very light adjunct ale mixed with actual apple juice. Like something high school kids would mix together to make Natty Ice more palatable, basically.

Not the worst thing I've ever had, and not even particularly bad aside from the aroma. But I'm a fan of the style, and more open-minded than most, and this is just not a very good fruit beer.

3.3/5  rDev +22.2%

This is a decent Hard Cider

4.57/5  rDev +69.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Looks meh but feels, taste and smells good

I guess it's okay if you're into this kind of thing.

3.19/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a light golden color with no head and lots of carbonation. Smell is like apple juice. Taste has some tartness up front, sweetness at the finish, lots of apples in between. Feels light in the mouth and overall is more like an apple soda than a beer, but is highly drinkable.

4.65/5  rDev +72.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Great hard cider. Crisp refreshing taste. Very high drinkability definitely recommend

3.26/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I personally like this beer out of its general light flavor and my accustomed taste to its sort of sweetness, although I'm well aware of the fact that this is not a high-class brew

Thanksgiving Day beer tasting at Bro's house. Tastes like apple juice!!

4.5/5  rDev +66.7%

This is beer? This has alcohol in it? I thought I was drinking soda?!

I think it's a great beer for what it is; a fruit beer. Or as I think of it, a fruit "beer soda". It honestly tastes like a beer you'd give a child if that was a legal thing to do. I think it's a perfect beer for someone who doesn't like beer. It's a beer that should be enjoyed under a 90 degree summer day at noon when it's really bright.

1.27/5  rDev -53%

try it, did not like. no real surprise ! yep tastes like apples and well apples, with lots of fizz

2.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Ain't bad for what it is.

High carbonation.

Tastes like apple soda with a faint(!) boozy nose.

Where's the alcohol? Not noticeable, unless you hammer it, I guess.

2.58/5  rDev -4.4%

You know, this isn't really all that bad. Better than a wine cooler in my opinion. Sort of like drinking apple juice with a faint hint of beer. I have friends who don’t care for beer, but drink a ton of this. They plan on having some at there wedding, and I’ll have no problem drinking it.

1.5/5  rDev -44.4%

I'm going to make this my first review here, and I hate starting off on a negative note. Off of the top of my head, I cant remember why my decision to try this was so spontaneous, but I wish I would have thought longer about what I was about to purchase. I have been seeing it on shelves for a while now, and that is what pushed me towards wasting my money on what I thought was going to be a good time. The taste was alright. It was lacking all of the features that one would be looking for in an ale. The apple idea was cool, but the fact that it was labeled ALE left me feeling betrayed.

With all due respect. This isn't a beer. This is an apple flavored wine cooler disguised as an ale to trick grown men.

The beer flavor is upfront with some cider taste as well. I like this as its got some flavor to it. Really good tasting and was refreshing in todays heat. I have never bought this but now i would.

3.75/5  rDev +38.9%

Goes down too smoothly. Not too sweet either.

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.