Redd's Strawberry Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Strawberry AleRedd's Strawberry Ale

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Darkmagus82 on 08-21-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

A friend had this so I thought I would give it a try. Big mistake. The color was just a pale, clear yellow. The beer smelled of artificial strawberry flavors. The taste was so sweet that I instantly got a stomach ache. Plus, it didn't even taste like strawberry; more of a artificial, candy strawberry taste. The mouth feel was thin and fizzy. Overall, just a bad drink. I say drink because this should not be classified as a beer. (431 characters)

Literally tastes like chap stick. Thin, super sweet, and headache inducing. Absolutely terrible. I didn't expect to enjoy this but my wife was interested so I picked some up. Most of the time I'm pleasantly surprised and actually find something like this somewhat drinkable. Not this one. Not even close. The fact that it is even classified as a fruit beer is laughable. Shameful, even for Miller. (397 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Light copper color. No head. No lace. Looks like watered down tea.

Sweet artifically-flavored strawberry gum, apple juice, faint malt, and sucrose. Yikes.

Gummi strawberry, pear juice, sweet tea, rhubarb pie filling, and sugar. I can just make out some grain flavors. Wow.

Tartly sweet. Juice-like body. Almost no carbonation. Detestable.

Not beer. Beer... but, not really. (377 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pee colored with no head. Smells like artificial strawberry flavoring. It tastes like green apples and strawberries. Very sour. I wouldn't really call this beer. It might as well be a Mike's Hard or Bacardi Ice. The only reason I would buy this again would be if I was with a girl who doesn't like the taste of beer. (316 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -28.1%

No foam head at head.

Light Pale Color.

It's way to sweet for my taste, sugary sweet with sour aftertaste. Also this beer is way carbonated like a pop drink. Taste more like cider than a Ale beer.

Had a hard time to finishing this beer. Won't drink again and won't recommend. (280 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -25.2%

Head? What head? Other than that, its a generic amber color.

Smells like cold apple cider with a hint of strawberry candy.

Taste is to the nose.

Smooth, sugary drink the whole way through.

I don't know why I drink these. If I know I'm going to have a bad time, why do it? They are sugary and not what I want in a beer. (322 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

12 oz clear bottle into a snifter. Best before May 05 14

Pours a crystal clear super light golden yellow color. White head fizzed away instantly after the pour leaving absolutely nothing.

An apple cidery aroma with mostly strawberry. Fake candy green apple. Very artificial and very sweet smelling. Almost medicinal.

The taste is pretty much all sweet sugary artificial strawberry. Very watery. This is a beer?

Super light in body, very watery.

This is like a straight up wine cooler, I don't know how they get off calling this a beer. Too sugary, too fake tasting. (573 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -21.1%

From a can.

Perfume and sweet apples on the nose

No head, no film, no collar, no lace

Tastes like apple juice with some strawberries mixed in. Barely beer, waste of good water. Pass it by. I snared a can at a party to bring home, glad I did not pay any $ for this. (267 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -20.4%

Super clear golden colored beer with the tiniest ring of a head.

Well it sure as hell smells like strawberries. Intense strawberry aroma that is a good match for strawberry soda pop. Nothing but strawberry can be sensed.

Starts out sweet and sour strawberry flavor and that is all there is. Tastes EXACTLY like strawberry soda! No beer like qualities remain.

Mouthfeel is soda.

Overall, might as well be sold as strawberry soda. (432 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -19.3%

I purchased this for my wife and after one sip she said it was too sweet, imagine that. So I tried to drink the rest but found the artificial strawberry flavor is so cloying that it made this impossible to finish. The sugary feel is thick and coats the mouth with a slime that gets you nearly choked. The Apple Ale delivered a much smoother, almost cider like feel and flavor but this is artificial and sickly sweet. (416 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I am new to the world of beer drinking and coming from the mixed drink side this would not be a drink I would recommend as a starter beer. It reminds me way too much of the Smirnoff drinks with their fake fruit and overly sweet taste. Tastes like wine coolers and not really like beer. (286 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -17.4%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date February 24, 2014 printed on the bottleneck. Expectations are relatively poor based on my experience with Redd's Apple Ale, the original.

Poured into a Miller High Life pint glass.

A - Pours a clear brassy apple juice color with absolutely no head whatsoever. Looks the same as it did in the bottle.

S - Smell is of artificial apple and strawberry candy and that's about it. There is nothing about this that is reminiscent of real beer.

T - Taste is of crisp fruity artificial green apples and strawberry candy. Crisp and carbonated, and I guess it could be considered refreshing.

M - Feel is crisp, mildly tart, with lingering artificial strawberry.

Overall, a cheap quick attempt to capitalize on the success of Bud Light Lime Straw-Ber-Rita, which is a far more preferable beverage, albeit still ridiculously artificial tasting swill. Avoid.

Redd's Strawberry Ale ---2/5. (914 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -13%

Freshness date of February 17, 14.

Pours clear golden with no head despite fizzy sound. Looks like apple juice. No lacing sticks.

The smell is of sour/rotten apples with strawberry and something chemical-ish. The strawberry part itself is not terrible.

The taste is of sweet, rotten apples. The strawberry part does taste like strawberry. A bland beer-ish taste backs it up. It finishes rather sweet.

It is fizzy, though pretty easy to drink despite its shortcomings.

It is closer to a sweet fruity malt beverage than an ale, though there is a beer-like backing to it. One was enough. I wouldn't recommend this to a true beer lover. (637 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -8.9%

The original Apple Ale is still the best of the 3, but Strawberry Ale was decent. I’m not sure I would buy it again, but since my girlfriend likes this kind of stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up having more. Taste similar to the Apple Ale with a touch of strawberry. better than a wine cooler. (303 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -6.7%

I can't say this beer doesn't look the way I expect It to, and similar to the apple version: like carbonated apple juice. There's about five seconds of fizzy white head that spritzes like a soda and drops off completely. Little spotting is left but, hey, it's there.
Strawberry is there, kind of like those wrapped candies that always somehow got out of the wrapper and stuck to the bottom on the inside and got sticky pick stuff all over your fingers when you finally pulled it out covered with white fuzz. There's also a pressed cider/apple aspect, and I wonder if, like juice blends, this beer utilizes some of the original apple. It's sweet with a little dusty malt, and I think maybe some caramel malts were used as a hint comes out on the tongue. This will satisfy the crowd who likes wine coolers but wants to look cool by drinking a beer. To borrow a more recent colloquialism, it's alcopop.
The feel isn't too bad. It's thin, to be sure, but not too watery, and the crispness keeps things going. It could be cleaner on the end, but it's not too grainy and, fortunately, not sticky. (1,090 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -6.7%

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Looks like a carbonated apple juice. No head or lacing at all.

Smell- Green apple and strawberry candy aromas.

Taste- Same as the smell with the green apple flavor a little more pronounced than the strawberry. Doesn't taste like a real beer at all. Has an almost sickening artificial strawberry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and crisp. This is the best thing going for this concoction which isn't saying much.

Overall- I got this as part of a pick six and I'm wondering why I even grabbed it. I won't be having this ever again. (587 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Smells like artificial strawberries with some grain tossed into the mix.
Appearance- The best part of this experience, a light copper color with no head to speak of.
Taste- Incredibly sweet, but an artificial sweet flavor with a beer aftertaste, not for me.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation with a sweet tart candy like experience for the aftertaste.
Overall- I do enjoy some fruit beers but this is just so over the top and artificial I didn't care for it. (531 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with light to moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and hints of golden yellow highlights. The beer has an eighth of a finger tall fizzy white head that almost immediately fades to just a couple of extremely small patches of extremely thin film and no ring at the edges of the glass. No lacing is observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of super sweet artificial strawberry with some lighter hints of sweet apple juice and just a hint of something medicinal in nature.

T: This is a very sweet beverage with moderate to strong flavors of very sweet artificial strawberry with some light hints of slightly sour artificial strawberry. There are light to moderate flavors of apple juice but there is nothing remaining that makes me think of this as a beer.

M: Light to medium bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: This reminds me more of a strawberry soda than a beer - not horrible if this fruit flavored thing is what you are looking for but it's not my favorite thing (it was a freebie from a family friend so I am reviewing it). Alcohol is very well hidden but it is too sweet. (1,188 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -1.1%

I bought a six-pack of this stuff only because my daughter wanted this stuff, so what's a dad to do? I am beginning to believe that Redd's is trying to be a gateway brew for women to get excited to beer. Unfortunately, this stuff is more like Seagrams or Bartle and James than a real beer.

From a pure beer perspective it wasn't altogether awful, but it certainly wasn't the best I've ever had. Appearance was so-so, the smell was okay, but the rest was sorta okay at best. Overall, I think I liked the Apple Ale better, but I'm certainly not a huge fan of these beers. (570 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a golden pee color with no head at all and very clear.

The aroma reminds me of strawberry starburst and flat malt liquor.

Good thing it tastes better than it looks and smells. I tasted mostly strawberry and apple with hints of macro beer.

The drink is light bodied with sharp carbonation and you can feel a tart bite in the cheeks.

Not really something you'll find me drinking normally. (397 characters)

2.7/5  rDev 0%

This is not by any means a beer or an Ale.I like it on those days that I just need something cold and sweet when i be chilling with my lady.It's really not to bad,but it's more like a wine cooler than a beer.It's got a nice kick to it if you drink a few. (254 characters)

2.71/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.25] Crystal clear yellow color. A really rough pour produced a slight white head that was gone before I set the bottle down. The bottle lists the ABV (5.0%). The neck has a date that I believe is a best by date (1/26/15).

S: [3.00] Strawberry. Nothing else. Not subtle strawberry - full on strawberry.

T: [2.50] Follows the nose. Heavy strawberry.

M: [3.00] Light, crisp, refreshing. High carbonation.

O: [2.75] This is like a flavored Bud Light. I am sure people that don't like beer but do like strawberry would enjoy this. It is not offensive - I would drink one on a boat. It does start to wear on you, the unrelenting strawberry flavor. It would be WAY down my list of beers to seek out. (714 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Clear deep amber in color, with a small white head, which fades to the vanishing point in mere seconds. Lacing is absent, The carbonation is slight in quantity and slow-rising.

Aroma: A strong punch of candy-like strawberry dominates the aroma. There is a bit of maltiness beneath, but it is very slight.

Taste: Opens with an intense rush of what seems to be natural strawberry and apple flavoring. As the taste progresses, the strawberry and apple flavors back off a bit, and some understated light lager characteristics can be discerned. There is a slight bit of hop bitterness at the close, which helps to beat back, be it ever so slightly, the lingering fruit flavors.

Mouth feel: Thin, with stinging, champagne-like carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: This seems like a less-revolting version of a "malt cooler", though it is called an ale. Interesting and refreshing on a late summer day, but if you are expecting a traditional ale with a hint of strawberry flavoring, prepare to be disappointed.

Presentation: Packaged in a clear glass (!) twelve-ounce long-neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Source: Purchased at HEB in Texas in September of 2013 for $6.99 six-pack plus tax. (1,241 characters)

2.86/5  rDev +5.9%

Transparent ale, slightly darker than straw color. Absolutely no head to speak of even after an athoughggressive pour. Can see a few bubbles rising to the surface.

Smells like strawberry soda.

Taste is much like strawberry soda just a little less sweet and more natural tasting. Just a hint of malt character and red apples. No hops detected.

Medium bodied with a slick, syrupy texture. Decent carbonation.

Sweet but not too sweet. Surprisingly, not terrible as expected. Pretty average for a fruit beer though. Probably won't be going out of my way to get this but it was worth a try. (589 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I like this beer it's very refreshing if your really trying to quench your your thirst.. One thing. I noticed I found my self drinking alot cause its so light and fruity so it's like drinking cool aid... But fun and cheap if you wanna get hammered due to the 5% alc/vol (269 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Redd's Strawberry Ale from Miller Brewing Co.