Join our email list →

Meister Bräu Light - Miller Brewing Co.

Meister Bräu Light

Wisconsin, United States | website

Light Lager | 4.50% ABV

Beer added by: Beastdog75 on 05-22-2003

1.4/5  rDev -6.7%

Yes, Miller does indeed make a light version of the Eddie Griswold's favorite beer. "From master brewers a master beer" reads the can. This is the cheapest beer I've ever seen, and as a kick I thought I would review it. I have never had the full-calorie version of this beer, so I won't be able to compare the two, but I think I can take a stab at where regular Meister Brau falls along the line.

Meister Brau Light pours a medium straw color which has a somewhat decent foamy white head which lasts around 20 seconds. The smell is quite cheap: very sugary and adjuncty (corn sugar I would say) mixed with a hint of wet cardboard smell. The mouthfeel is so fizzy that it left a stinging sensation on my tongue. In the first taste I noticed some basic adjuncty sweet/cheap beer taste, but this beer is almost flavorless. Mix in some hints of paper and urine, add the stinging mouthfeel, and you have one very difficult beer to drink. There is some medicine-like bitterness in the finish which carries over to the almost clean aftertaste. There is no alcoholic warmth here either.

In summary: pretty bad stuff. Why this beer is made is a deep philisophical question in itself. The can is almost scary to look at. This is up there with Natty Ice among my worst beers ever sampled.

1.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Man, I don't know if this is actually better than Meister Brau, because there is more water to dilute that crap. This stuff was kind of a staple (shameful as it is to admit) back in the high school years. $3-4 a 12pack. This was the blue can.

Geez, ugly straw yellow like it was blended with tap water. Bubbles about the same too. Aroma was less rubbing alcohol than expected, but this is still unpleasant cooked corn and green canned veggies, don't expect any malt, yeast or hop contribution to the aroma (or taste prolly).

How it continues to be bitter, without much flavor, is almost a testament to how weird the beer is. Look, I like shitty beer, but this is even a little much for me.

Would still bang if I came across one today for old time sake.

1.67/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured out of a blue and white can, to differentiate it from the regular Meister Brau which is red and white. Poured out a barely perceptible yellow, mostly water, large bubbled white head which vanishes in about 15 seconds.

Aroma was a little more watery, less alcohol burn than regular MB. Still had that bitter sugar aroma, but less pungent.

Taste, less burn again, more water. I guess this is an improvement over the regular MB flavor, which was horrible. I mean, they're just diluting the crap at this point. Excuse me, not crap: water, corn, sugar. Even with all the water added, it still has that nasty metallic bitterness though, that is definitely not hop derived. And of course, that same vegetal metallic bitterness is all throughout the mouthfeel and aftertaste.

Meister Bräu Light from Miller Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.