Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale - Cucapá Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 195 | Reviews: 133
Reviews by Tolnik:
3.68/5  rDev +7%

Surprising enough a mexican beer that isn't the same old taste that is a typical mexican beer. The head that pours off this amberish colored beer is excellent. While the smell does have the tones of a mexican beer the taste doesn't fallow suit. The beer has hints of a typical pale but with some hops added in, while it doesn't overwelm the palate. Overall an excellent beer to try. And if you love a mexican beer then I would suggest this beer to try.

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a standard pint a deeper than expected amber with athinner but well retained white head,much deeper in color than most pale ales I have come across.Buttery notes in the nose along with some biscuit and leafy hops,its's English in nature no doubt.Biscuit malt and light caramel malty tones on the palate with a passing herbal hop note in the finish.Ho hum in nature,its a drinkable EPA but nothing really stands out here.

3.06/5  rDev -11%

Set out to find a Mexican beer I hadn't tried for a midday Cinco de Mayo session. Maybe it had been sitting a while and I stirred some stuff up with my pour, but what looked like a nice deep golden/red ale, was somewhat spoiled upon closer inspection of all the shit floating around in it. Smells fruity. Taste is somewhat bland compared to my expectation. Bitter, watery finish. Burning through this sixer on a sunny day manning a grill wouldn't be a bad experience, but I can't say I'm all that impressed with Chupacabras.

3.06/5  rDev -11%

Had at Novare Res and shared with my wife.

Served in a mug forms a big thick head amber. The beer is almost hazy not transparent.

The aroma is malt sweet crystal malt big big malt.

The taste matches big malt (how do they drink this in hot Mexico?) all malt sweet with an almost tartness from the barley. The mouth is very smooth and leaves a nice fresh feel.

I thought it was ehh but my wife loved it.

Picked up during a trip to Baton Rouge.

The beer pours a golden-orange color with a white head. The aroma is fairly sweet and has a lot of sugar, toffee and biscuit malt notes. The flavor is fairly similar, with some biscuit and toffee malt. The beer is very dry and there is not much, if any, hop flavor. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a caramel clear amber hue with a thin fizzy light khaki head, minimal speckled lacing. When I popped the cap it was bit of a gusher. Smell has some earthy hop notes but nothing that jumps out at me in the hop department. Flavor has a blend of dark brown sugars and earthy slightly floral hops, a bit of harsh bitterness in the finish to round the sweetness out. I'm glad I didn't get the whole sixer, why is Tomme Arthur giving shout outs to these guys. Maybe because they have carbonation issues as well. Mouthfeel has light carbonation a bit of oily resins left on the palate. Drinkbility overall, is decent not my favorite pale ale I've come across, but it's decent.

3.23/5  rDev -6.1%

Can shared by Joe - thanks!

Pours a clear copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light pale malts with hints of buttery vanilla and floral hops.

Tastes OK. Pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by a mild tininess and hints of vanilla. Midway through the sip the malt flavors thicken up a bit and small amounts of pine hop flavors work their way into things. The ending is mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel is OK. The thickness is on the thin side with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is not that great. I finished my glass but would not have another.

Overall there were some off-flavors in this beer that just didn't translate well at all. Not quite terrible but it doesn't have far to go.

3.76/5  rDev +9.3%

Bought this at party source because I'd never seen it before. Pours a cloudy amber out of a really cool looking can. Not very much head, but decent lacing. Mostly malt forward aroma with very little hop presence. The taste is much hoppier than I expected. Not in the same league as some other pale ales, but a really good balance of flavors with a little bit of earthy flavored hop bite. I will definitely buy this beer again. This was a great find.

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

650ml bottle - the first bomber, I believe, for Mexican craft beer in these environs. And the Chupacabras only resonates to me as an X-Files reference (at least it's not a Simpsons' one, though if I checked, it probably could be....)

This beer pours a clear, bright medium copper hue, with two fingers of fuzzily foamy off-white head, which settles apace, leaving an undulating frosted shoreline of lace around the glass.

It smells of biscuity grain, a bit of caramel, and fruity, floral hops. Very familiar, somehow. Anyways, the taste is fruity, grainy, bready malt, and did I say fruity? I did? Okay, so this fruit is kind of peppery too, keeping things on a more even keel, some noble hop bitterness adding to the more or less fruitful (!) leveling effort.

The carbonation is pleasantly peppy, the body an aspiring medium weight, and agreeably smooth. It finishes just off-dry, the fruity malt gaining more black pepper in furthering its outshining of the relatively mild hop showing.

A decent pale ale, the American-level (for the style) booze hard to discern, if at all. Nice balance and integration of the main players, with a decent spiciness. Keep 'em comin', mis amigos...

Happy Cinco de Mayo and cheers to not drinking a corona!

Pours into a pint glass a nice copper red color with good clarity and thin white head.

Aroma is hoppy like a good dry-hopped American pale ale. Citrusy goodness.

Flavor is impressively hoppy and still really well-balanced. There is a little bit of toasty malts but the hops are definately in the forefront.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and good carbonation. Drinkability is fine. I would happily have another!

The best Mexican beer I've ever had. This far exceeds expectations.

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Crystal clear amber liquid with a huge billowy, creamy head that sticks around until the end. This is the best part of this beer, it looks awesome!

The nose is a little off putting. Sugary sweet malt, over cooked green veggies, canned soup, old grass clippings, very faded hop notes as well.

The taste isn't quite as bad as the nose. Very sweet malts, sugars, and more canned veggies and grassy notes. There's an odd chemical taste that I can't nail down. It finishes a little grainy and sticky.

Mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Maybe I expected more from this, maybe it was a really old can. Either way I won't be picking this one up again.

2.86/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

bottles purchased at Ramon Liquor in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

A- a dark amber, fairly clear, off white head.

S- smells like old hops and burnt caramel malt.

T- Hoppy, in a syrupy way, moderate bitterness, burnt, astringent caramelized sugars.

M- Medium

D- Does not have a good flavor to me.

3.18/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. A rather firm pour after a light pfft upon opening yields a thin off white head atop a rather amber hued beer. Reduces quickly to a surface cap but keeps a light film and offers light lacing.

Nose is of light caramel and a bit of burnt malts. Muddled citrus and earthy hop notes are present but overwhelmed by the crystal type malts.

Flavor is similar to the nose, and to many Northwest Pale Ales actually, yet with a flash of sweet orange/lemon on the finish. Sweet caramel and crystal, with a bitter finish that dries as it lingers for a few seconds. Gains a bit more texture as it warms. Sweet notes and a light carbonation allow for a decent feel though limited by its simplicity. Average drink, though better if you like the nose which doesn't impress me. Similar to Firestone Pale in that sense.

Bit sweet and dark for an APA which I see this as. Decent though not up my alley.

3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Clear copper color with a thin head that quickly disipated. Just light lacing is left on the glass.

Malty aroma with hints of caramel and yeast. Not much for hops.

They should call this an amber ale. Sweet caramel malt with very little hop charactor. Some grassy hops. Bitterness is low.

A little on the undercarbonated side. Too bad as the body does pocess some depth.

The brewer mislabeled their beer. An average amber ale.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to Woody for this can.

A: The pale ale is a darker amber color, more brown than orange and dark enough to be opaque. The can erupted on opening, a frothy tan head spilling over the counter. That head is contributing to the lacing in the glass.

S: Plenty bready, with toffee and caramel mixing with the biscuitiness. Hops are present, stronger than I was expecting.

T: The ale has the English vibe, more malty than hoppy. The malts are toffee and biscuity, a bit of caramel sweetness. The hops that hang out on top of the malts seem to have a little age under their collective belts. The result is a fuller flavor that accentuates the malts but packs enough of a punch to still be a pale ale. Syrupy sweetness verges on cloying near the finish.

M: The mouthfeel is bready, malt-centric until the midpoint. Hops, a tad on the old side, lend punch to the ale.

D: Not bad at all. I wouldn't mind trying it at a younger stage but beggars can't (and won't) be choosers.

3.56/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Duvel tulip with a giant, voluminous mass of foam, much like Duvel itself. Khaki tan foam, with an attractive sunset red orange jewel tone. Chunks of lace coated the glass.

Aroma was a little sweet, apples, pale malt, bread. Moderate bitterness, pale malt sweetness, bready and grassy. Lingering dry leafy hop bitterness in the finish. Alcohol seems slightly perceptible. Cidery apple twang. Medium bodied, easy to drink, but nothing overly exciting. Much better than the last Cucapá beer I tried.

4.07/5  rDev +18.3%

A=pours a deep amber with a two finger slightly off white head

S=some coffee malts with a slight amount of hoppy bitterness.

T= good, light malt flavors of coffee, hint of bitterness following

M=nice crisp carbonation, no oiliness, with good aftertaste

D=enjoyable, not to stout, easily sessionable, my favorite Mexican brew.

3.75/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: One finger of light tan head. Good head retention. Great lacing as well. Dark amber/red body. Does exactly have the color of a pale ale, but I wouldn't count that against it.

Smell: Big caramel malty aroma. Very sweet and malty.

Taste: Big sweet and malty. English hops and a good bitterness to round things out.

Mouthfeel: Thick and chewy. Real substantial stuff for a pale ale, though I think stylewise I would call this a red ale.

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

22 ounce bottle purchased at Hi Time Wine in Costa Mesa, CA., May 2008; price not recorded.

Pours a clear dark reddish-copper with nice carbonation and a thin off-white head; almost reminds me of an English ESB rather than a pale ale.

Aroma is crisp grassy hops, clean English malts, light honey, I think pretty close to the style.

Flavor is a rich heavy malt profile accented by herbal grassy hops, light lemony notes, quite tasty. A light sweetness plays against the hop bitterness at the end of the swallow.

If compared to the style, I think this stacks up quite well, and is a very good example of how to do it right. Good stuff!

3.35/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Cloudy reddish brown. Basically a rust color. Pours with a small amount of head.

S - A little bit of a pine smell to it, not a strong aroma.

T - Sweet red ale start with a pine and earthy finish. A little watery tasting to me.

M - I did taste the cloudiness in the mouthfeel. It didn't match the taste for me.

D - It's just alright for me. I wouldn't hunt it down but wouldn't turn it down at a BBQ either.

3.97/5  rDev +15.4%

Dark amber in color, off white head. Not very heady, even with a careless pour. Little dark, but still appetizing none the less.

Smells of malt sweetness, maybe a hint of butterscotch, with a fair amount of hops.

Taste is rich, malty with more subtle hints of pine and citrus. Very tasty and well balanced even though I prefer a hoppier pale, but it's fantastic to the style.

Medium bodied, doesn't fell too light or heavy. Nothing to complain about.

Super easy to put back, and if the ABV was a bit lower, I would likely make this my politically correct session brew as it is a very good value for the money.

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a clean, deep, auburn color typical of most American Pale Ales (think Sierra Nevada). Carbonation is just right. A white head forms but thins fairly quickly. Lacing isn't bad.

Beer is Fairly well hopped with bitter and some fruity citrus aromas. More sweet maltiness than anticipated for a low ABV beer.

While the smell and appearance brought to mind an APA the malt flavors have much more in common with the English Style Pale it's classified as. Although I will say it vaguely makes me think of early APA Liberty Ale but more bitter. I have to admit this is a much better tasting beer than expected. The previously mentioned low ABV keeps this very drinkable and refreshing.

Not sure if it's the low expectations, the fact I haven't had a beer in this style in awhile and enjoyed the change of pace, or that it paired so well with my salsa con queso but I found this one very enjoyable and may enjoy again at some point.

1.98/5  rDev -42.4%

$1.75 for a can at New Beer. Served with a side of 3am pot luck leftovers that I'm sure to regret.

Hazy, dark amber brew, not really resembling a pale ale. Sticky, cream-colored head, leaving behind some patchy lace.

Smell is incredibly sweet for anything less then an English barley wine. Excessive caramel & sticky malt. Bigger then expected alcohol. A touch fruity.

Taste was a bit of a relief, but it's still pretty big & not well categorized. Something of a brown, with some char & toffee notes. Touchy with oxidation & some lingering piny bitterness. No best by/brewed on date.

Frothy & thick. Harsh for 5.8%. Orphaned residual sugars left to run amuck.

Sort of a stronger, uglier, unbalanced version of Dale's "pale" ale. I am not happy. This is amateur brewing.

3.34/5  rDev -2.9%

12 ounce can. I bought Cucapa on a whim for a recent camping trip. I always like to go with canned beer when I'm camping for an extended period of time, and the can really appealed to me, though I was slightly worried about the quality of what I would be drinking. From what I recall it was actually pretty good, but I figured I would sit down and try it properly. Pours the color of fresh rust with a small yet frothy head. The aroma of this beer certainly isn't very promising. I get a weak watery smell and an odd aroma that reminds me of a swimming pool from back home. Maybe an algae smell is the best way to describe it. It's not an attractive smell at all. Mouthfeel is very sticky, almost like chugging honey. There's some carbonation but not enough. I get lots of sweet toffee malt with some pine hops struggling to get out of the finish. Lingering burnt brown sugar finish. This thing is all about the malt. It's like they set out to go the complete opposite of an IPA in terms of style. It's good, but I honestly like more balance in my pale ales. Still, this is arguably the best Mexican beer that I've ever had, Negro Modelo notwithstanding.

Better than expected.

Slightly citric hop aroma with some caramel sweets back there in the smell.

Hop presence is mostly in the bitterness, with some dirty hops in the taste. Overly hopped for an English Pale, but I am still enjoying the lasting bitterness. Caramel-like sweetness rounds out the body. All in all, I actually like this. I like the bitterness on the end, but would like to see a cleaner hop character. As it is, a bit messy.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are good.

Recommended. Tweaks are necessary to make this a beer I would go back to at $4 per bomber, but I am glad I got to try it.

to view more.