Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale - Cucapá Brewing Company

English Pale Ale |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-24-2008

1.79/5  rDev -49.1%

Poured from a 12oz. can(No freshness date) into a standard pint glass
Clear amber in color, with a huge head of off-white foam
Aroma-An off-putting big whiff of sweet malt
Taste-Big hit of grainy, cloying malt, then an almost unpleasant wash of raw hop bitterness that does nothing to complement the too-sweet malt, leaving both flavors in an out-of-balance, mismatched mess. Tastes like someone tried to make an English pale ale out of Pabst and Pepsi.
Avoid, just like a real chupacabras. (490 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -43.8%

$1.75 for a can at New Beer. Served with a side of 3am pot luck leftovers that I'm sure to regret.

Hazy, dark amber brew, not really resembling a pale ale. Sticky, cream-colored head, leaving behind some patchy lace.

Smell is incredibly sweet for anything less then an English barley wine. Excessive caramel & sticky malt. Bigger then expected alcohol. A touch fruity.

Taste was a bit of a relief, but it's still pretty big & not well categorized. Something of a brown, with some char & toffee notes. Touchy with oxidation & some lingering piny bitterness. No best by/brewed on date.

Frothy & thick. Harsh for 5.8%. Orphaned residual sugars left to run amuck.

Sort of a stronger, uglier, unbalanced version of Dale's "pale" ale. I am not happy. This is amateur brewing. (776 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -29.5%

Found this at Plumpjack Wine Store in San Francisco.

Poured into a standard American pint glass.

Appearance: Pour from the can generated quite a bit of head - a good inch, at least. Unfortunately, that head is rapidly crackling its way downward, leaving thin, spotty lacing in its wake. Body is crystal clear and amber-colored, and scattered bubbles can be seen rising within. At this point, the head has come to rest as a splotchy crown. Looks much like an amber lager.

Smell: Strong caramel invaded my nostrils immediately following the pour. Upon closer inspection, I get caramel apple, toasted bread, and sweet Cascade hops. That's about it. Very simple, and not very impressive. My early homebrews smelled similar.

Taste: Caramel, toasted bread, earth, and something that reminds me of sushi - kind of like white rice with a little soy. Hops are there, but very subdued (in terms of flavor and bitterness). Not a fan.

Mouthfeel: Very malty; out of balance. Carbonation is on the light side, but prickly. Aftertaste is decent: all caramelized malt and Cascade (or Cascade-like) hops; but unoriginal.

Drinkability: This was my first taste of Cucapá, and it wasn't good. This pale ale seriously tastes like a first attempt home brew. Not only was it unoriginal, but it was poorly crafted. It still didn't taste that bad; the craftsmanship was just shoddy. (1,364 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Cucapa is a relative mess of a Pale Ale. Astringent, bitey, and with a buttery taste and feel that is distracting all the way through.

The beer pours a deep copper/amber color that shows good clarity and an initially froathy head that falls midway through the session. A pretty good look.

Sharp aromas of grassy hops and grain provide the early impressions, followed by a butterscotch, toasty aroma.

The taste lands somewhere between malty and grainy that provides a weak base for the hop flavor and bitterness. Grassy throughout, the hop character never showcases the crisp citrus notes of an American Pale or the earthy/floral notes of an English. The bitterness is harsh and not the smooth or crisp bitterness that make Pale Ales so refreshing. The beers buttery (buttered toast) character rises as the beer warms and gains intensity going into the finish.

Soon after the early malty textures fade, the beer gets a little weak, allowing for a very harsh astringent (grain husk) feel to dominate the beer. Very harsh and nearly sour/stale.

The beer seems to be under-malted or malted with the wrong or poorly chosen malt varieties. The same can be said with the hops. Still, the tanic feel of the beer is certainly the weak point of the session. (1,252 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -28.1%

picked this little bitch up at a hole in the wall in anaheim. when I asked the guy at the counter how it was, he said great if you like pale ale. he lied. like many of its other mexican counterparts this beer falls short and leaves me disapointed. kinda like the night I lost my virginity...wah wah wah.

pours amber. strong white head. fades fast.

smells strongly of hops.

taste is unbalanced. strong bitterness. a lackluster bite up front that leaves you wanting more. and not in a good way. all in all a bland beer. if you have the chance to tr this...dont (562 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy dark orange-brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, fruit, and slight funk aromas. Taste is much the same with malt, caramel, fruit, earth, and slight funk flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of earth bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a high level of carbonation with a crisp and prickly mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer that is showing a minor amount of infection that is not super noticeable, but it definitely takes away from what this beer is supposed to be.

Serving type: bottle. (664 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -25%

Appearance: Pours an opaque, dark amber body with a frothed, off-white head.

Smell: Pale malts with accompanying albeit small notes of bread and caramel. Then, a surge of bitter pith, pine extract, and a heap of crushed aspirins. Hrn... Like a posted 'Beware of Dog' sign, perhaps this should be where I turn back finding something else to drink, but, no, we must press on.

Taste: Opens with pale malts and a light, fleeting caramel sweetness. bitterness. Hops present quick tastes of citrus peelings, inherent earthiness, and pine. Quick, because it clears the way for the impending off-putting bitterness. Maybe they're workin' the unrelenting monster angle here, who knows. Finishes dry, hard, and harsh.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Harsh and astringent, it gutted my palate like so much innocent, unsuspecting livestock. It makes me wish I had a beef taco, chile relleno, or even a couple tamales to couple this with. Instead, I have only one thing to pair Chupacabras PA with: regret. (1,030 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -23.6%

First off, I'm new to this site and this is my first review. I'm also new to all the beer terminology. Here goes...

I picked up a 6-pack of this and also some Negra Modelo on the way to a Mexican-food-themed party. I can't comment on appearance because I drank it from the bottle (no cups at the time). The bottle itself was also dark, giving little hint of how the beer looked.

I actually liked the smell of it but was unpleasantly surprised by the taste. It was quite bitter and way too many herb/spice flavors. Overpowering for me. I didn't like the taste. I was drinking it to accompany soft tacos w/ varying meats (pollo, carne asada or carnitas).

Mouthfeel was great so I really wanted to keep drinking it, but the flavor kept turning me off. I took a few more sips to see if I could get used to the taste, but it was really a chore for me. Sorry, but this beer wasn't for me and I had to leave the bottle half-empty. (926 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -23.3%

12oz. can poured into La Fin Du Monde tulip...

Pours much darker than expected, a beautiful dark ruby color, showing great clarity, with a huge amount of soft, pillowing off-white head that leaves chunks of lacing on the glass...

Smell is a bit off, somewhat sweet with some spoiled dark fruits. Overwhelmingly malty on the nose, bready, caramel and a bit roasted, but very little bitterness. A slightly sour note emerges towards the end, bad can?

OK, nasty. What the hell is going on, such a beautiful pour but completely downhill after that. Very sweet initially, almost cloying, bready, toffee sweet malts overwhelm. Slightly bitter at the end, but not a good bitter, just off...

Medium bodied with good carbonation and a good tingle on the palette...

This beer started out great, awesome looking can and a beautiful pour, however, it all fell apart after that. (869 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -23%

Pours a clear, orange-brown with a fingers worth of creamy white head. Leaves nice waves of lacing.

Aroma is fairly light with sweet malts and a touch of fruity esters. Faint, even for a pale ale.

Interesting malt profile in the taste. Sweet, yet grainy and then a touch spicy. The finish leaves an off putting astringency. If the flavor profile were a bit smoother, this would rank higher.

Mouthfeel is light and somewhat malty. The finish is muddled and harsher than it should be.

Overall, this beer has some nice characteristics, but seems to fall short in a couple of places. The finish on the taste and feel is what drops this beer slightly below average. Compared to my favorite EPA, Jasper Murdock's Fuggle and Barleycorn, this beer falls way short. (760 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Crystal clear amber liquid with a huge billowy, creamy head that sticks around until the end. This is the best part of this beer, it looks awesome!

The nose is a little off putting. Sugary sweet malt, over cooked green veggies, canned soup, old grass clippings, very faded hop notes as well.

The taste isn't quite as bad as the nose. Very sweet malts, sugars, and more canned veggies and grassy notes. There's an odd chemical taste that I can't nail down. It finishes a little grainy and sticky.

Mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Maybe I expected more from this, maybe it was a really old can. Either way I won't be picking this one up again. (722 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm not sure where this can came from, but it's been sitting in my garage fridge for a little while and no one has claimed it ... I guess I'll open it.

A: A cloudy apricot with a half-inch head and perfect lacing. Part of the appearance rating goes to the artwork. Possibly the coolest looking can I've ever seen.

S: Not bad, but not great. Very malty, and somewhat floral. Not my cup of tea...or brew.

T: Malty but muted.

M: Better than expected. Medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

O: Not bad. I wouldn't seek this out - but I'd drink it again. I will say, being that it is cloudy and brewed in Mexico - I'm worried how the Chupacabras will treat me tomorrow. Wish me luck. (683 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Selection from the beer of the month club

Poured into a pint glass, a very dark ruby color with a nice white head a some lacing.

Very sweet aroma of toffee/ caramel, with roasted malt and some earthy hops.

Bitter taste with the hops over taking the malt and toffee. still some sweetness with a little alcohol.

Medium body with just enough carbonation.

Since I'm not a big pale ale fan, this beer is not my style and I wouldn't put it on my want list. However, if is a typical pale ale. (490 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

bottles purchased at Ramon Liquor in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

A- a dark amber, fairly clear, off white head.

S- smells like old hops and burnt caramel malt.

T- Hoppy, in a syrupy way, moderate bitterness, burnt, astringent caramelized sugars.

M- Medium

D- Does not have a good flavor to me. (292 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance - some slight haze to the orange/amber brew. This bottle uncapped and foam started kicking up and over the neck of the bottle, so I didn't go too nuts on the pour. Ended up with a fairly small head, holding steady at a thin but complete cover. A solid layer of lace all around the glass.

Aroma - sweet, almost syrupy grain whiff, followed by citrusy, orangy hoppiness. A little sugary for an IPA but it's okay.

Taste - hmm, interesting. The grain has a sweet, but not sugary bend to it. It has a brown sugar edge, very much like the Cucapa brown ale, but some of that buttery English aspect, too. The brown sugar taste gives the beer a slightly sweet yet sour off taste. The hops come in dry, bitter, not much flavor but not overbearing either. A bit of a funkfied IPA, whether by intent or not I've no idea. Not a total miss, not a total hit either.

Mouthfeel - good smoothness and accompanying crispness. The body is nice and weighty, giving the beer some notable heft.

Drinkability - I could potentially learn to like this, but I don't. Seems too likely a candidate for infection with that weird sugar, brown ale bit. (1,135 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -17.6%

A ruby/hazelnut beer with a one finger head at pour time. Simmered to a splotchy head, touch of lacing. I smell sweet malt characteristics and caramel. Some minimal esters and very light figs.
Medicinal taste is what I get at first. A good bitterness, confused it seems between pine and herbal. Some clove. Sweet, almost like a hopped up Scottish ale or something. Feels smooth witha bit that lasts a bit longer. Not very drinkable for me; too medicinal. I think that's what is bugging me.
Overall, one of the best Mexican beer I've had. (538 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

Strange amber funky brew.

Looks nice enough in the tall glass, and head is fine. Thicker mouth feel and plenty of carbonation. Woody flavor along with the roasted malt. Sweet and bitter. Walnut shells along with an orange citrus flavor. Too much of the Life Saver taste. Bitterness seems to take over the flavors. Aftertaste is a long walk down an unpleasant hop neighborhood.

I don't know what to call this, but it's not any known style. Amber beer with too much of the wrong hops, strange malt, and a candy flavor that didn't come from Belgium. (548 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

pours a dark amber with strong white head that leaves a nice solid stringy lacing. dark for a pale ale.

smell has no hops present. very yeasty and there is some alchohol present in the nose which is highly irregular for such a relatively low abv.

ill give them the benefit of the doubt and say that the hops have faded due to the bottle being old. hot sticky malts and over yeastiness with a minimal worn out hop presence towards the end.

even with all its flaws, this beer is very refreshing and a worthy pale ale that i would love to try fresh. (549 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

Pillowy head on a clear copper body. Aroma and flavors are bready with faint caramel malts that come across to me as a strongly hopped amber ale in many ways. Mouthfeel is very creamy and carbination is rather low for the style. I bet this is the equivalent of SNPA in Mexico.
Not bad at all. (292 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -15.3%

Chupacabras Pale Ale has a thin, beige head and a cloudy orange-amber appearance. Carbonation is moderate, and filmy lacing remains down the glass. The aroma is of turned or over-ripe citrus. Taste is of citrus, strong coffee, stinging and bitter hops, and barley. Mouth-feel is medium, and Chupacabras finishes refreshing enough, with a caustic after-taste. Overall, this is an okay pale ale. This strong beer really went straight to my head this morning on an empty stomach. I keep messing up with the typing!

RJT (516 characters)

Picked up during a trip to Baton Rouge.

The beer pours a golden-orange color with a white head. The aroma is fairly sweet and has a lot of sugar, toffee and biscuit malt notes. The flavor is fairly similar, with some biscuit and toffee malt. The beer is very dry and there is not much, if any, hop flavor. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (345 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Tried a Cucapa awhile ago, didn't love it. Figured I'd try the pale ale, since the last one I had was pretty malty.

Appearance- A rich amber color. A full inch of tan head, laces very nicely. It's a little cloudy. The deep red color doesn't really say "pale ale" to me, but it's acceptable in the English style.

Smell- Rich and malty. Definitely buttery. Some earthy hops as well.

Taste- Sweet malt. Buttery (can't get over that), slightly nutty. Some earthy hops. Sweet, but with a lingering burnt caramel.

Mouthfeel- Pretty rich.

Drinkability- Not for me. Too much butteriness, sweetness, etc.

Yep, this was the same beer I disliked last time. I really want to like craft from Mexico, but this isn't the one for me. (725 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -13.1%

Set out to find a Mexican beer I hadn't tried for a midday Cinco de Mayo session. Maybe it had been sitting a while and I stirred some stuff up with my pour, but what looked like a nice deep golden/red ale, was somewhat spoiled upon closer inspection of all the shit floating around in it. Smells fruity. Taste is somewhat bland compared to my expectation. Bitter, watery finish. Burning through this sixer on a sunny day manning a grill wouldn't be a bad experience, but I can't say I'm all that impressed with Chupacabras. (524 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -13.1%

Had at Novare Res and shared with my wife.

Served in a mug forms a big thick head amber. The beer is almost hazy not transparent.

The aroma is malt sweet crystal malt big big malt.

The taste matches big malt (how do they drink this in hot Mexico?) all malt sweet with an almost tartness from the barley. The mouth is very smooth and leaves a nice fresh feel.

I thought it was ehh but my wife loved it. (407 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -12.5%

I had this in a 22 ounce bottle at a restaurant in Boston. Pouring it into a frosty glass, the beer was a dark amber color with minimal head. Caramel in the aroma. Strong caramel and husky malt mixed with raw hops on the palate. The flavors are there, but they are not melded together particularly well. (303 characters)

Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale from Cucapá Brewing Company