Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale - Cucapá Brewing Company

Cucapá Chupacabras Pale AleCucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale

Cucapá Brewing Company visit their website
Mexico

English Pale Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-24-2008)

lehueve, Nov 04, 2013

tastyville, May 14, 2013

Dactrius, Apr 23, 2014
3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

650ml bottle - the first bomber, I believe, for Mexican craft beer in these environs. And the Chupacabras only resonates to me as an X-Files reference (at least it's not a Simpsons' one, though if I checked, it probably could be....)

This beer pours a clear, bright medium copper hue, with two fingers of fuzzily foamy off-white head, which settles apace, leaving an undulating frosted shoreline of lace around the glass.

It smells of biscuity grain, a bit of caramel, and fruity, floral hops. Very familiar, somehow. Anyways, the taste is fruity, grainy, bready malt, and did I say fruity? I did? Okay, so this fruit is kind of peppery too, keeping things on a more even keel, some noble hop bitterness adding to the more or less fruitful (!) leveling effort.

The carbonation is pleasantly peppy, the body an aspiring medium weight, and agreeably smooth. It finishes just off-dry, the fruity malt gaining more black pepper in furthering its outshining of the relatively mild hop showing.

A decent pale ale, the American-level (for the style) booze hard to discern, if at all. Nice balance and integration of the main players, with a decent spiciness. Keep 'em comin', mis amigos...

biboergosum, Mar 25, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: One finger of light tan head. Good head retention. Great lacing as well. Dark amber/red body. Does exactly have the color of a pale ale, but I wouldn't count that against it.

Smell: Big caramel malty aroma. Very sweet and malty.

Taste: Big sweet and malty. English hops and a good bitterness to round things out.

Mouthfeel: Thick and chewy. Real substantial stuff for a pale ale, though I think stylewise I would call this a red ale.

BierFan, Nov 30, 2009

Better than expected.

Slightly citric hop aroma with some caramel sweets back there in the smell.

Hop presence is mostly in the bitterness, with some dirty hops in the taste. Overly hopped for an English Pale, but I am still enjoying the lasting bitterness. Caramel-like sweetness rounds out the body. All in all, I actually like this. I like the bitterness on the end, but would like to see a cleaner hop character. As it is, a bit messy.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are good.

Recommended. Tweaks are necessary to make this a beer I would go back to at $4 per bomber, but I am glad I got to try it.

rallison, May 29, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Poured out a clear, dark amber color with a one-finger, tan head of foam. Nice retention and a little lacing.

S - It smelled malty and sweet. A subtle floral hop aroma.

T - This one is malty with a little chocolate. It had an earthy/grassy hop presence that added a little bitter bite.

M - It was crisp and sharp with a dry finish. A light to medium bodied ale.

D - My first craft beer from Mexico and I was pleasantly surprised. It is a tasty version of an English Pale Ale.

zeff80, Aug 17, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Bought this at party source because I'd never seen it before. Pours a cloudy amber out of a really cool looking can. Not very much head, but decent lacing. Mostly malt forward aroma with very little hop presence. The taste is much hoppier than I expected. Not in the same league as some other pale ales, but a really good balance of flavors with a little bit of earthy flavored hop bite. I will definitely buy this beer again. This was a great find.

degerbah, May 03, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 12/13/2014. Pours lightly hazy orange amber color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of grapefruit, lemon zest, orange peel, caramel, toast, biscuit, light nuttiness, floral, grass, and floral/toasted earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of citrus/floral hops and bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of grapefruit, lemon zest, orange peel, caramel, toast, biscuit, light nuttiness, floral, grass, light pine, and floral/toasted earthiness. Light floral/pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, orange peel, caramel, toast, biscuit, light nuttiness, floral, grass, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and robustness of citrus/floral hops and bready malt flavors; with a nice malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and moderately creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very good English pale ale. All around good balance and robustness of citrus/floral hops and bready malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

superspak, Jun 02, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Yeah, not bad at all. Can was a bit colder than I'd a preferred, which is maybe why it foamed out up and out when I opened it. Poured with a nice light brownish, rusty, tan head and no lace. Color is a clear medium amber. Malty, hoppy, roasty nose. Flavor is like aroma plus a little nutty, hint of butterscotch and leather. Good body but perhaps a little sharp in carbonation. Nice finish. Session beer.

drpimento, Mar 13, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Received this beer as an "extra" in a recent trade I had with mattolesh.

Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A- The complexion consisted of a rather clear, dark amber color. The little head that was there dissipated quickly.

S- Caramel with herbs and a hint of hops.

T- Initially I was worried. However, as the beer warmed up, the taste came out to a pleasant surprise. The caramel taste came to the forefront, but then it was followed by a nice hoppy finish....interesting.

M- medium bodied beer that had some carbonation to it.

D- This beer was pretty drinkable. I definitely recommend letting this beer warm up a tad bit before drinking!

Overall, I would have to describe this beer as a pleasant surprise. Who knew Mexico had more to offer than Corona. It's definitely worth a try.

rhinos00, Oct 15, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +11%

Pours a clean, deep, auburn color typical of most American Pale Ales (think Sierra Nevada). Carbonation is just right. A white head forms but thins fairly quickly. Lacing isn't bad.

Beer is Fairly well hopped with bitter and some fruity citrus aromas. More sweet maltiness than anticipated for a low ABV beer.

While the smell and appearance brought to mind an APA the malt flavors have much more in common with the English Style Pale it's classified as. Although I will say it vaguely makes me think of early APA Liberty Ale but more bitter. I have to admit this is a much better tasting beer than expected. The previously mentioned low ABV keeps this very drinkable and refreshing.

Not sure if it's the low expectations, the fact I haven't had a beer in this style in awhile and enjoyed the change of pace, or that it paired so well with my salsa con queso but I found this one very enjoyable and may enjoy again at some point.

berkey, May 06, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +11%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass - thanks jess!

Pours a copper orange with a bit of haze. A smaller head fades out completely leaving a little layer of film with some bubbly lacing.

Scents of citrus hops and some slightly bready tones. Not too complex.

Begins with an initial hit of bitterness, followed by some more mellow flavors. A doughy, bread malt backbone is clearly apparent, laced with some spicy hop edges. Finishes with some pine bitterness and lingering stickiness.

Medium body, decent carbonation, a bit sticky and chewy. Smooth drinking, but surprisingly hoppy for a Mexican beer, alongside a decent flavor. If only we could replace Corona with this!

xnicknj, Jan 16, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

English Pale Ale from Mexico? I guess I'm being unfair, but the words "Mexican beer" usually imply some weak, fizzy skunky beer with a lime in it just to give it flavor. So when I saw this in my local dive liquor store, I decided to pick one up. And there's a good reason why I check out my local dive liquor store from time to time.

Looked real good in my tulip glass, with a nice bronze color and a light tan and fluffy head. Lots of lacing sticking to the glass. A bit of a musty, malty aroma with a little bit of pine to it. Flavor is malty, with some sweetness with a good amount of grapefruity hops, with some piney notes thrown it. A little bit of a resiny aftertaste, but a good heft and slightly creamy mouthfeel. Let it warm up a little bit, and the malt and hops will come to balance and be quite drinkable. Another reason NAFTA wasn't such a bad idea.

Next thing you know, a bunch of Brits will be trying to push some sort of pale, fizzy stuff with a lime on me.

RunDWP, Jan 07, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

A&S - Pours an hazy amber with two fingers worth of white fluffy head, decent amount of lacing, the haze looks as if theres an ingredient thats about to show a solid presence. Smells of sweet, light, refreshing malt and fruit with some hops but mostly a sweet fresh fruit aroma.

T&M - Sweet, crisp, and sticky with a slight hop bite right off the front, then a quick turn transitions to that Tamarind everyones buzzing about, maybe some Agave, then citrus hops. Awesome flavors thoughout make a wonderful flavor explosion however I feel the bittering hops in the end take away from the "Fresco" flavor.

O - An interesting find, i'll be sure to check out they're other stuff and pick this one up when found, but I really felt the hops were a little much and took away from the wow factor.

Picked up a Sixer of this at the local CostPlus without any knowledge or recommendation of the beer/brewery. Right off the bat props to Cucapa for being one of the very few Mexican breweries making an effort in the craft scene, it seems the new Victoria lager has way more malt then the other Mex lagers, and let me assure this was no mistake. Light is good, for a certain amount of time. Now about the beer, very, very, fresh. Thats its key characteristic, and by making it to hoppy, it wasn't as inviting as other maltier pale ales. I gotta say I can't really gather my thoughts on this one. Despite the hops turning me off, the Tamarind, which I have yet to see in a beer, keeps bringing me back for more. I think this is one of those brews that sits at the back of your mind. Its not something you think of when you try to list your favorites, but when you see it on the shelf, you'll buy it, just the reminisce on that out of the ordinary flavor. Stay thirsty my friends!

NickRivers, May 18, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

Spied this 22 oz. bottle on the shelf at Henry's Marketplace, an organic grocery in Chula Vista/Eastlake, during a late March '08 visit. Hadn't planned on buying any beer (was on a cool-down after a run), but was drawn to this bottle for two reasons: a) chance for my first Mexican craft beer, b) awesome label depicts a demonic Chupacabras: glowing red eyes, glistening fangs, sinewy muscles, pitch black body, ready for a vicious attack. OK, so the label sold me mostly...

Poured to a pint glass and enjoyed with dinner, a spicy cheese, pepper, chicken and rice dish my wife has honed to perfection.

A: Clear copper, touched with a ruby redness. Carbonation flows vigorously at first, tapering off after 15-20 seconds to a lighter scattering of individual bubbles. Head starts as a fizzy/frothy eggshell-white, building to about 1-finger before dropping to a thin film. Nice lace, a sticky veil of foamy bands.

S: Malt/sweetened dough aroma. A bit flowery, some honey, a fine spice. Good caramel with a light tangerine citrus. Smells aren't too strong, the subtleties are as expected from an English Pale Ale.

T: Label shows "100% Malt" and this one has plenty of it. Doughy bread, light lemongrass, spicy hops with a citrus tang. Toasted malts balance well with a modest, but flavorful, hop profile.

M: Light-medium mouthfeel with a pleasant crispness and a clean, moderately dry finish. A little clinging malty-sweet stickiness leftover on the lips.

D: A good Pale Ale, well-crafted. My first foray into the Mexican craft beer market is a good one: I liked this more and more the further I got into the bottle. Having read the comments of the previous poster only after the purchase, I was a bit rueful of my choice; fortunately, my bottled version made a more positive impression. Recommended for a try if you have access to it; I'd get Chupacabras again.

¡Gracias Cucapá!

msubulldog25, May 10, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

A: poured a translucent amber brown. With orange highlights that had a bubbly head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: huge caramel aroma upfront with some malty nutty notes but also had slight citrus, and faint pear esters.

T: mild hops and sweet honey flavors showed up on the palate with caramel, nutty ,citrusy accents and lots of sweetness coming from the malts.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a sweet, nutty, mild hoppy, and sticky finish.

D: was just a decnt pale ale that had nice honey sweetness and was drinking real good.

Gobzilla, Jan 17, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

Dark amber color. Very malty aroma. Little head retention. Aroma slightly reminiscant of a typical barley wine. Heavy malt presence in flavor. Lots of carbonation. Little to no hop aroma or flavor but dryish hop style finish at end. As it warms more fruitish flavors come out. Very drinkable beer. More malty than I would expect for a pale ale, but aside from style point still a pretty decent beer.

despainmakesbeer, Nov 03, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

Picked up a bomber for under $5 at the Wine Emporium on Tremont to bring to a friend's home. We split the bottle, poured into stemless wine glasses, which were all he had. Wow, a surprisingly good looking beer from Mexico. Dark auburn color. Nice white head. Tons of lacing on the glass. Smelled very piney, like a nice IPA. Taste was much better than expected. There was a very prominent hop profile, but there was also a nice maltiness which gave a good backbone. Overall there was a nice balance to this brew. I could have easily had a few more of these. I can also see this beer as a big hit in Mexican cuisine restaurants as a great alternative to the usual suspects. I'd like to try more offerings from this brewery.

morebeergood, Feb 01, 2010

Cerveza Cucapa' Chupacabras

Clear and copper-colored, slimmish beige head.

Sweet, caramel-malty aromatics, with a slight hop appearance. Getting less slight more I smell it. Definitely has an English pale ale smell on it. Dry and herbal.

Taste: hoppy hit at first. Then comes the caramel malt flavor,both butting up against one another, bright, and warm, wet and zesty.

I like this. It would be hard not to like it. Just enough hops to my tongue happy, plenty of flavor, good drinking.Nothing to be afraid of, that's for sure.

feloniousmonk, Jan 10, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +13%

22 ounce bottle purchased at Hi Time Wine in Costa Mesa, CA., May 2008; price not recorded.

Pours a clear dark reddish-copper with nice carbonation and a thin off-white head; almost reminds me of an English ESB rather than a pale ale.

Aroma is crisp grassy hops, clean English malts, light honey, I think pretty close to the style.

Flavor is a rich heavy malt profile accented by herbal grassy hops, light lemony notes, quite tasty. A light sweetness plays against the hop bitterness at the end of the swallow.

If compared to the style, I think this stacks up quite well, and is a very good example of how to do it right. Good stuff!

Dukeofearl, May 26, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +13%

Picked up on a whim from Julio's. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear light brownish amber color wtih a creamy half a finger head that fades to leave average side lacing and a nice lumpy cloud.

S - Getting some light hops (grassy not really bitter) and some light sweet malts, slightly buttery. Quite pleasant.

T - Similar to the nose. Getting some slight fruity hop notes followed by sweet malts and almost some honey flavour. There is a nice slight bitter finish to the beer.

M - Very smooth, almost thick. Not watery at all. The hop oils help this one out and the ABV is not noticeable. Find myself wanting to raise the glass back to my lips each time I put it down.

O - I'm surprised at how much I liked this beer. This is my first non macro mexican based beer and I really enjoyed it. Would definately buy this beer again to show off what a country can offer.

rudzud, Jul 11, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +13%

My local Whole Foods had sixpacks of Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale on display for Cinco de Mayo. The combination of an unfamiliar brand, that brand being from Mexico, and it being hocked at Whole Foods, didn't inspire confidence, but I was curious, so I bought it anyway. Let's check it out.

Appearance: The pour is very dark for a pale ale. It's deep Chicago Bears burnt orange in color topped by a frothy cream colored head.

Smell: The nose has caramel malt, earthy and herbal hops, and a touch of fruit.

Taste: The flavor profile is really a step above the aroma. Caramel malts lead the way into a moderately bitter hoppy mid-palate. Hops are herbal, earthy, slightly spicy, and there's a hint of citrus. Along with hops, low levels of fruity esters enter the mix. Malts return to play a small supporting role in the bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: It's medium-bodied and both crisp and wet, but not watery, with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a wonderful everyday beer. Quaffable and delicious. I would like to try more from Cucapá. ¡Salud!

goschool, May 03, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +13%

A Mexican made English pale ale, in a can, I have to try this.

Pours a nice rusty amber and copper color with a voluminous head of beige. The head fizzles to a thick foam, then a thick film, and finaly to nothing after drinking three quarters of the beer.

The aroma is a peppery, spicey hop balanced with a toasted bread crust. Very English smelling pale ale here.

Nice spicey black pepper mixed with toasted malts maintains throughout teh entire palate. Toasted bread crusts with a little caramel and just a splash of orange zest from the hops along with the pepper make for a nice EPA.

Although there really isn't any taste fluctuation from the front, middle, and back of the palate, its still a pretty good English pale ale.

scruffwhor, Aug 11, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Chupacabras

Pours a murky brownish color, big soapy off white head and a very nice display of sheet lacing down the whole side of the glass. Aroma is bready, with some cereal grains mixed in. In the taste, nutty maltyness, a glimpse of citrusy hops, and a toffee like flavor in the finish. Simple flavors that go together quite nicely. Nutty, sugary malts, small hop presence, even balance and a clean finish. Overall, this is the best beer of Mexican origin that I have had to date by a good margain.

Stinkypuss, Aug 05, 2011