Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale - Cucapá Brewing Company

Cucapá Chupacabras Pale AleCucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale

Cucapá Brewing Company visit their website
Mexico

English Pale Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-24-2008)
2.63/5  rDev -23.5%

Appearance: Pours an opaque, dark amber body with a frothed, off-white head.

Smell: Pale malts with accompanying albeit small notes of bread and caramel. Then, a surge of bitter pith, pine extract, and a heap of crushed aspirins. Hrn... Like a posted 'Beware of Dog' sign, perhaps this should be where I turn back finding something else to drink, but, no, we must press on.

Taste: Opens with pale malts and a light, fleeting caramel sweetness. bitterness. Hops present quick tastes of citrus peelings, inherent earthiness, and pine. Quick, because it clears the way for the impending off-putting bitterness. Maybe they're workin' the unrelenting monster angle here, who knows. Finishes dry, hard, and harsh.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Harsh and astringent, it gutted my palate like so much innocent, unsuspecting livestock. It makes me wish I had a beef taco, chile relleno, or even a couple tamales to couple this with. Instead, I have only one thing to pair Chupacabras PA with: regret.

ChainGangGuy, May 16, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

A nice, malty pale ale. Pours transparent amber with a tight white head. Lots of caramel in the aroma. Some nuttiness, very light floral hops and a bit of clean yeast. Flavor is on the sweet side, but it's not over the top. The finish could use a bit more hops because there's a touch of sweet lingering slickness. Still, the beer is rather drinkable, and it's nice to find a good Mexican beer.

popery, May 10, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Tried a Cucapa awhile ago, didn't love it. Figured I'd try the pale ale, since the last one I had was pretty malty.

Appearance- A rich amber color. A full inch of tan head, laces very nicely. It's a little cloudy. The deep red color doesn't really say "pale ale" to me, but it's acceptable in the English style.

Smell- Rich and malty. Definitely buttery. Some earthy hops as well.

Taste- Sweet malt. Buttery (can't get over that), slightly nutty. Some earthy hops. Sweet, but with a lingering burnt caramel.

Mouthfeel- Pretty rich.

Drinkability- Not for me. Too much butteriness, sweetness, etc.

Yep, this was the same beer I disliked last time. I really want to like craft from Mexico, but this isn't the one for me.

callmescraps, May 06, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Set out to find a Mexican beer I hadn't tried for a midday Cinco de Mayo session. Maybe it had been sitting a while and I stirred some stuff up with my pour, but what looked like a nice deep golden/red ale, was somewhat spoiled upon closer inspection of all the shit floating around in it. Smells fruity. Taste is somewhat bland compared to my expectation. Bitter, watery finish. Burning through this sixer on a sunny day manning a grill wouldn't be a bad experience, but I can't say I'm all that impressed with Chupacabras.

andyfrancis, May 05, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +20.6%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy golden color with a half finger of off white head that quickly disappeared to nothing.

S - Sweet smell with some breadyness and a subtle hop bite.

T - Far heavier hop hit than many EPA's but very enjoyable. Is well balanced with sweet and fruity malt. One of the more enjoyable EPA's I have had.

M/D - Mouthfeel is slightly skewed to the watery until the hops bounce off the tongue. Probably the best beer I have ever had from Mexico, simple and easy drinker.

mwa423, May 03, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

Bought this at party source because I'd never seen it before. Pours a cloudy amber out of a really cool looking can. Not very much head, but decent lacing. Mostly malt forward aroma with very little hop presence. The taste is much hoppier than I expected. Not in the same league as some other pale ales, but a really good balance of flavors with a little bit of earthy flavored hop bite. I will definitely buy this beer again. This was a great find.

degerbah, May 03, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

I picked this up at a liquor store in town that has an awesome taco stand in the back. I chose this at random and was pleasantly surprised. It is worth mentioning that the bottle cap was pretty gunky on the outside and it looked like it could have been there awhile so I can't vouch for how fresh it was. Poured in to a pint glass.

A- Clear, dark orange-red. Small off-white head that faded quickly. Looked like it had some really fine sediment suspended throughout.

S- Faintly sweet, malty. Alcohol as well.

T- Sweet and malty first with sour grain and alcohol also present.

M- I found this to be fairly light and watery. Some carbonation, but on the weak side. Refreshing with a lingering finish.

D- Light and refreshing. It went really well with the asada (steak) burrito I "paired" it with. Cuts right through the spiciness. Great as well while doing yard work. Fairly well balanced, but on the weak side. I liked it, but I probably won't buy it again.

misinformed, Apr 25, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Selection from the beer of the month club

Poured into a pint glass, a very dark ruby color with a nice white head a some lacing.

Very sweet aroma of toffee/ caramel, with roasted malt and some earthy hops.

Bitter taste with the hops over taking the malt and toffee. still some sweetness with a little alcohol.

Medium body with just enough carbonation.

Since I'm not a big pale ale fan, this beer is not my style and I wouldn't put it on my want list. However, if is a typical pale ale.

dtivp, Apr 18, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +20.1%

Beer of the Month selection -- served in a tulip glass.

A: Brilliant deep amber and mahogany color with a nice 2 inch velvety brown head that produces some excellent lacing. But they lose a point on the rating for having the ugliest looking creature I've ever seen on the label. I've never heard of a chupacabra before, but I wouldn't want to run into one.

S: Nice piney earthy tones in the aroma with some fruity flavors like apple and pineapple.

T: Picking up pine, citrus hops, grassy notes, chocolate malts with a pleasant bitter finish. Nice balance of sweet malty flavors with bitter hops.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation.

D: Ugly creature on the label aside, very pleasant surprise from the BOMC. Very drinkable as a session type beer, or could be paired with a hearty sandwich or cheeseburger. I often question whether I should renew my BOMC membership and if it's worth the premium price -- but it's beer finds like this that keep me coming back. I'll definitely be on the lookout to pick up a six pack or two of this.

chaz01, Apr 14, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -7.6%

Chestnut color with reddish highlights. Clear, pours with a tall tanned head with superb lacing. This is a great look from a can, period. The nose is sweet and darkly fruity, with bready and caramel notes as well. A little DMS.
With the first sips, I noticed a slightly sour notes - not in a good, funky way. Very sweet, almost like spoiled fruit, with a raucous yeast character that overtakes the palate and sticks well after the finish. Overly sweet in general, offset by a harsh, pithy bitterness. Medium body, finish is pretty sticky. Awkwardly long lasting compost bin aftertaste.
I've had Chupacabras before, from the tap and the bottle, and this was by far the worst presentation. I will revisit this one again someday, but not soon, and definitely not from the can.

BretSikkink, Apr 12, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -21.5%

12oz. can poured into La Fin Du Monde tulip...

Pours much darker than expected, a beautiful dark ruby color, showing great clarity, with a huge amount of soft, pillowing off-white head that leaves chunks of lacing on the glass...

Smell is a bit off, somewhat sweet with some spoiled dark fruits. Overwhelmingly malty on the nose, bready, caramel and a bit roasted, but very little bitterness. A slightly sour note emerges towards the end, bad can?

OK, nasty. What the hell is going on, such a beautiful pour but completely downhill after that. Very sweet initially, almost cloying, bready, toffee sweet malts overwhelm. Slightly bitter at the end, but not a good bitter, just off...

Medium bodied with good carbonation and a good tingle on the palette...

This beer started out great, awesome looking can and a beautiful pour, however, it all fell apart after that.

hawks10, Apr 09, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I knew it existed! Damn that label is pretty darn cool looking and their website is pretty sweet too! Hoping the beer is worthy of such a cool label. Pint glass pour and I am met with an amber/copper colored pour and a bubbly off-white foamy head with staying power and lacing. Aroma is very malty with some underlining whiffs of orange, caramel and some earthy tones. Bitter taste with a strong drying odd-tasting aftertaste and leaves me with major salivation on the buds. Sweetness...need not apply. Overall I am sad to say the label was much cooler than the beer but if I was in Mexico and looking for a beer for the buck, this would be worth a grab.

kaseydad, Apr 09, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Light amber with a thin white head that gradually fades, becoming patchy.
Smell is sweet, slightly burnt malts, with the malts quickly turning bready. Caramel and toffee, with some faint hops.
Taste is sweet, toasted malts, with faint, grassy hops coming in over a good malt backbone. Some bitterness comes in halfway through. Faint buttery, nutty notes towards the back end, with a malty finish.
Mouthfeel is fairly crisp, with a slightly smooth, creamy finish. Medium body.
Good drinkability. Not the most well-balanced beer, but it still goes down easily.

Parrotbeak, Apr 06, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. A rather firm pour after a light pfft upon opening yields a thin off white head atop a rather amber hued beer. Reduces quickly to a surface cap but keeps a light film and offers light lacing.

Nose is of light caramel and a bit of burnt malts. Muddled citrus and earthy hop notes are present but overwhelmed by the crystal type malts.

Flavor is similar to the nose, and to many Northwest Pale Ales actually, yet with a flash of sweet orange/lemon on the finish. Sweet caramel and crystal, with a bitter finish that dries as it lingers for a few seconds. Gains a bit more texture as it warms. Sweet notes and a light carbonation allow for a decent feel though limited by its simplicity. Average drink, though better if you like the nose which doesn't impress me. Similar to Firestone Pale in that sense.

Bit sweet and dark for an APA which I see this as. Decent though not up my alley.

HalfFull, Apr 04, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Duvel tulip with a giant, voluminous mass of foam, much like Duvel itself. Khaki tan foam, with an attractive sunset red orange jewel tone. Chunks of lace coated the glass.

Aroma was a little sweet, apples, pale malt, bread. Moderate bitterness, pale malt sweetness, bready and grassy. Lingering dry leafy hop bitterness in the finish. Alcohol seems slightly perceptible. Cidery apple twang. Medium bodied, easy to drink, but nothing overly exciting. Much better than the last Cucapá beer I tried.

emerge077, Mar 31, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

A-Impressive looking amber color with nice clarity..

S-Very interesting aroma. Definitely English style pale ale. There is a nice carame/toffee sweetness..think caramel biscuits...also a musty minerally dimension...very interesting

T-More of a bitterness than I expected but comes off more of an herbal/alcohol mix bitterness..the malt is not as sweet as the nose leads one to think it will be....probably because of the hop load...caramel and toffee still there along with an herbal hop dimension...also the mineral/musty notes remain on the taste..

M-Clean drinking...Medium bodied...

D-Interesting and enjoyable ale I'd drink again but not seek out.

ZAP, Mar 26, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

I got this one from the beer of the month club. It's probably not one I'd have picked off of the shelf given my impression of Mexican beers as being similar to US macro adjunct lagers.

Poured into a tumbler it produces 10 mm of head with light lacing. The appearance is amber and clear. The aroma is of citrus hops, moderately strong, and a bit of malt. The taste is lightly malty and moderately bitter. The feel is light bodied with a slightly metallic finish.

I'm pleasantly surprised by this offering, which is worthy and enjoyable. No lime needed.

rfabian, Mar 22, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +20.1%

Decent hop aroma apparent, much more so than any Mexican mega beers. A clear copper-amber color is presented, much like the Anderson Valley Boont Amber just enjoyed previously. Poured down the middle of a large glass stein it produces a nice head that dissipates pretty quickly without much lacing, but is easily refreshed with a swirl or a swig.

Somewhat balanced flavor with a little more hop predominating over the malt (100% malt the Craft Beer label notes). Nice grain presence in front with a little bitter hop kick back. Worthy of its goat-eating monster namesake.

Nice to see Mexico getting into the craft beer movement. I was told this is the first Mexican micro imported into the U.S.

tubacharlie, Mar 16, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

Yeah, not bad at all. Can was a bit colder than I'd a preferred, which is maybe why it foamed out up and out when I opened it. Poured with a nice light brownish, rusty, tan head and no lace. Color is a clear medium amber. Malty, hoppy, roasty nose. Flavor is like aroma plus a little nutty, hint of butterscotch and leather. Good body but perhaps a little sharp in carbonation. Nice finish. Session beer.

drpimento, Mar 13, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +14.8%

A - Nice amber color with a decent amount of head. Cool demon creature on the label made me want to pick this up.
S - Pale malts and slight hops. I wish I could smell more from this.
T - Slight hop bite and grassy flavor. Wish it was more sugary than previous reviews described.
M - Sort of dry but hops represented well in this brew.
D - Meh I would rather have a Hopslam, but I guess I am a sucker for cool beer art. May not buy again

DrDemento456, Feb 24, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -20.1%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Crystal clear amber liquid with a huge billowy, creamy head that sticks around until the end. This is the best part of this beer, it looks awesome!

The nose is a little off putting. Sugary sweet malt, over cooked green veggies, canned soup, old grass clippings, very faded hop notes as well.

The taste isn't quite as bad as the nose. Very sweet malts, sugars, and more canned veggies and grassy notes. There's an odd chemical taste that I can't nail down. It finishes a little grainy and sticky.

Mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Maybe I expected more from this, maybe it was a really old can. Either way I won't be picking this one up again.

beertooth, Feb 22, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Dark amber in appearance with a finger of sticky white head. Good lacing and head retention along with tons of carbonation rising from the bottom and sticking to the sides.

S- All malts, seems to be no hops at all. A bit roasted on the nose with a predominant sweet, caramel malt smell. Smell really surprised me and was not expecting the all malt aroma.

T- Mostly sweet caramel malts, a bit roasted here also. Does finish a bit bitter so there is indeed some hops in here. It still seems there should be more here though, sorta disappointing.

M- Smooth, light-medium body, sort of slick or syrupy on the mouthfeel also.

D- Pretty good, lighter body and low ABV makes it an easy drinker.

Don't know if I would buy it again, not really what I expected. Maybe it's my lack of experience with English IPA's.

kbeals, Feb 22, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

Lasting modest head. Leaves good ring lace. Hazy, with a deep amber color

Smells like a low-hopped scotch ale, nearly no hop nose. Lots of caramel, though.

Taste wise, much more bitter than the smell lets on. This doesn't have the roundness of most English Pale Ale, although there is a biscuit element. Otherwise, I am reminded of the American version of a Pale Ale. The swallow and aftertaste are bitter but balanced. The body is spot on.

smcolw, Feb 15, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a hazy copper color with a half inch off white head. Head retention is ok.

The aroma is ok. There's a light hop aroma with a bit of spice and citrus. There is also a nice malt presence with some sweet caramel, herbal tea, and a bourbon like quality as well.

The taste is ok. There is a nice malt showing up front with some caramel and earth tones. It finishes with a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. The beer is just ok for me. The flavor profile isn't that great, and the beer as a whole just falls a little short IMO.

Goliath, Feb 09, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +25.9%

I really enjoyed this beer. Had it on tap at the Chef's Table in Rocklin, CA. Not really a typical pale ale as I felt it was a little hoppy for an English Pale Ale and too malty for an American Pale Ale. That aside, it had a very good balance between the malt and the hops. Noticeable citrusy hop aroma. Hops also noticed initially in taste followed for a caramel sweetness from the malt. Pretty full bodied. Neither hops or malt lingered creating a very drinkable beer.

rsvlbrwr, Feb 04, 2010