1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale - Cucapá Brewing Company

Cucapá Chupacabras Pale AleCucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale

Cucapá Brewing Company visit their website
Mexico

English Pale Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-24-2008)
3.08/5  rDev -10.7%

I had this in a 22 ounce bottle at a restaurant in Boston. Pouring it into a frosty glass, the beer was a dark amber color with minimal head. Caramel in the aroma. Strong caramel and husky malt mixed with raw hops on the palate. The flavors are there, but they are not melded together particularly well.

BeardedBoffin, Mar 04, 2012

corrrance, Feb 22, 2012

djcira, Feb 19, 2012

xnapshot, Feb 19, 2012

vr6corrado, Feb 16, 2012

LJWalker, Feb 06, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

After the less-than-stellar review I gave the last beer from Cucapa I had dialed my expectations back considerably for this one. No idea how old this bottle is. While this beer wasn’t the greatest I’ve ever tried, it wasn’t another disappointment. Proof that one beer does not a brewery make.

This appears an amber-auburn in color. There’s a musty-sweet aroma with a light hoppyness to it. Not an exciting smell, I keep thinking of the first Cucapa I’ve tried and feel like I detect a little bit of the honey fermented sweetness as well. But this is a hoppier, honeyed amber, with a low hop aroma and flavor but a definite bitterness on the flavor and finish.

elNopalero, Jan 20, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm not sure where this can came from, but it's been sitting in my garage fridge for a little while and no one has claimed it ... I guess I'll open it.

A: A cloudy apricot with a half-inch head and perfect lacing. Part of the appearance rating goes to the artwork. Possibly the coolest looking can I've ever seen.

S: Not bad, but not great. Very malty, and somewhat floral. Not my cup of tea...or brew.

T: Malty but muted.

M: Better than expected. Medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

O: Not bad. I wouldn't seek this out - but I'd drink it again. I will say, being that it is cloudy and brewed in Mexico - I'm worried how the Chupacabras will treat me tomorrow. Wish me luck.

NorthsideFred, Jan 17, 2012

davidtarantino, Dec 23, 2011

barnzy78, Nov 25, 2011

Caterwaul, Nov 22, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -11.6%

Had at Novare Res and shared with my wife.

Served in a mug forms a big thick head amber. The beer is almost hazy not transparent.

The aroma is malt sweet crystal malt big big malt.

The taste matches big malt (how do they drink this in hot Mexico?) all malt sweet with an almost tartness from the barley. The mouth is very smooth and leaves a nice fresh feel.

I thought it was ehh but my wife loved it.

bishopdc0, Sep 06, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a standard pint a deeper than expected amber with athinner but well retained white head,much deeper in color than most pale ales I have come across.Buttery notes in the nose along with some biscuit and leafy hops,its's English in nature no doubt.Biscuit malt and light caramel malty tones on the palate with a passing herbal hop note in the finish.Ho hum in nature,its a drinkable EPA but nothing really stands out here.

oberon, Aug 27, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Chupacabras

Pours a murky brownish color, big soapy off white head and a very nice display of sheet lacing down the whole side of the glass. Aroma is bready, with some cereal grains mixed in. In the taste, nutty maltyness, a glimpse of citrusy hops, and a toffee like flavor in the finish. Simple flavors that go together quite nicely. Nutty, sugary malts, small hop presence, even balance and a clean finish. Overall, this is the best beer of Mexican origin that I have had to date by a good margain.

Stinkypuss, Aug 05, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +13%

Picked up on a whim from Julio's. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear light brownish amber color wtih a creamy half a finger head that fades to leave average side lacing and a nice lumpy cloud.

S - Getting some light hops (grassy not really bitter) and some light sweet malts, slightly buttery. Quite pleasant.

T - Similar to the nose. Getting some slight fruity hop notes followed by sweet malts and almost some honey flavour. There is a nice slight bitter finish to the beer.

M - Very smooth, almost thick. Not watery at all. The hop oils help this one out and the ABV is not noticeable. Find myself wanting to raise the glass back to my lips each time I put it down.

O - I'm surprised at how much I liked this beer. This is my first non macro mexican based beer and I really enjoyed it. Would definately buy this beer again to show off what a country can offer.

rudzud, Jul 11, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Around a finger’s worth of orange tinted tan foam, more uneven surface than dimpled, mix of bubble sizes, adequate retention and nothing more, the lacing does stick excellently though. The liquid is a mix of brown and orange hues, perhaps too dark for pure amber, mildly more yellow around the rims, not much visible carbonation. Grainy, hoppy nose that is decidedly on the bitter side of things, the grapefruit to orange citrus sour and dry, even the flowers seem arch, the apple, pear, peach fruit scents fill out as it warms while retaining cut and penetrating power, cocoa and vanilla powder maltiness rounds things out somewhat, sniff when you want a challenge back at you. Full-bodied, on the heavy and leaden side, the carbonation is soft and full bringing a creamy mouth feel to match up against the general bitter bite. Sort of boozy feel and bourbon like flavors, the peat moss to crabgrass keeps it green and mean, lots of salinity and minerality too. The orange citrus tart and more pith than pulp. Comes across as well-malted, however, the caramel, chocolate, cocoa flavors are hard pressed to speak clearly but do feed into that hard alcohol profile. Interesting and not sure it easily fits into any recognized style.

farrago, Jun 05, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +19.7%

Tried this beer for the first time last week-end - my first scent of hops in 45 days!? Loved it and purchased several to take home - and it's just as good now, even without the "surprise" factor. A Mexican brewed APA!! Awesome.

Beautiful amber colour, clear until the hazy sediment at the bottom of a bottle.

Incredible "west coast" aroma - citrus and tropical fruits. Well balanced flavour that emphasizes hops, but combines the sweetness of caramelized malts and mango/pineaplle/tropical loveliness with the grapefruit bitterness I admire.

Personally I'd classify this an as APA rather than an IPA, but either way I will be driving hours to find more (until I get back to the land that is more friendly to "hop heads")...

hopsolutely, May 29, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -15.9%

Strange amber funky brew.

Looks nice enough in the tall glass, and head is fine. Thicker mouth feel and plenty of carbonation. Woody flavor along with the roasted malt. Sweet and bitter. Walnut shells along with an orange citrus flavor. Too much of the Life Saver taste. Bitterness seems to take over the flavors. Aftertaste is a long walk down an unpleasant hop neighborhood.

I don't know what to call this, but it's not any known style. Amber beer with too much of the wrong hops, strange malt, and a candy flavor that didn't come from Belgium.

mactrail, May 22, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +15.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Shaker pint glass. No date.

Appearance: Hazy translucent coppery-orange color. Off-white to tan head - very thin skin across top and a ring at the edge. Some tiny islands of lacing here and there but not a lot.

Smell: Orange citrus and some burnt sugar / roasted malt at the end.

Taste: Blended malt and orange citrus up front moving into a grapefruit-like bitterness at the end. Bitterness lingers at the end with a tea-like + honey flavor.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation, smooth and thick. The hop oils really stick to the teeth a bit here.

Overall / Drinkability: This is not an English Pale Ale - this is an American Pale Ale, and a very good one at that. Gets much better as it warms up and I could easily see myself having another. I had it with a bean and cheese burrito for dinner and it was nice with the meal and after as well. A very good APA and I will definitely pick it up again.

damndirtyape, May 18, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

A&S - Pours an hazy amber with two fingers worth of white fluffy head, decent amount of lacing, the haze looks as if theres an ingredient thats about to show a solid presence. Smells of sweet, light, refreshing malt and fruit with some hops but mostly a sweet fresh fruit aroma.

T&M - Sweet, crisp, and sticky with a slight hop bite right off the front, then a quick turn transitions to that Tamarind everyones buzzing about, maybe some Agave, then citrus hops. Awesome flavors thoughout make a wonderful flavor explosion however I feel the bittering hops in the end take away from the "Fresco" flavor.

O - An interesting find, i'll be sure to check out they're other stuff and pick this one up when found, but I really felt the hops were a little much and took away from the wow factor.

Picked up a Sixer of this at the local CostPlus without any knowledge or recommendation of the beer/brewery. Right off the bat props to Cucapa for being one of the very few Mexican breweries making an effort in the craft scene, it seems the new Victoria lager has way more malt then the other Mex lagers, and let me assure this was no mistake. Light is good, for a certain amount of time. Now about the beer, very, very, fresh. Thats its key characteristic, and by making it to hoppy, it wasn't as inviting as other maltier pale ales. I gotta say I can't really gather my thoughts on this one. Despite the hops turning me off, the Tamarind, which I have yet to see in a beer, keeps bringing me back for more. I think this is one of those brews that sits at the back of your mind. Its not something you think of when you try to list your favorites, but when you see it on the shelf, you'll buy it, just the reminisce on that out of the ordinary flavor. Stay thirsty my friends!

NickRivers, May 18, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a clear, orange-brown with a fingers worth of creamy white head. Leaves nice waves of lacing.

Aroma is fairly light with sweet malts and a touch of fruity esters. Faint, even for a pale ale.

Interesting malt profile in the taste. Sweet, yet grainy and then a touch spicy. The finish leaves an off putting astringency. If the flavor profile were a bit smoother, this would rank higher.

Mouthfeel is light and somewhat malty. The finish is muddled and harsher than it should be.

Overall, this beer has some nice characteristics, but seems to fall short in a couple of places. The finish on the taste and feel is what drops this beer slightly below average. Compared to my favorite EPA, Jasper Murdock's Fuggle and Barleycorn, this beer falls way short.

sisuspeed, Apr 28, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +2.9%

A:Bold sinopia haze with a crawling one finger head. No lacing making sure there's no trace. Threatening look.

S:Caramel, Dark chocolate, Nutty almonds.

T:Has a shocking Tamarind, lemon citrus. Plenty of hoppy bitterness. Definitely a curveball.

M:Tame and drinkable. Summertime session ale.

O:Impressive definitely interesting. Making its presence known over some U.S. pale ales.

ineva, Apr 21, 2011