1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale - Cucapá Brewing Company

Cucapá Chupacabras Pale AleCucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale

Cucapá Brewing Company visit their website
Mexico

English Pale Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-24-2008)

4.08/5  rDev +18.6%

A=pours a deep amber with a two finger slightly off white head

S=some coffee malts with a slight amount of hoppy bitterness.

T= good, light malt flavors of coffee, hint of bitterness following

M=nice crisp carbonation, no oiliness, with good aftertaste

D=enjoyable, not to stout, easily sessionable, my favorite Mexican brew.

2.7/5  rDev -21.5%

12oz. can poured into La Fin Du Monde tulip...

Pours much darker than expected, a beautiful dark ruby color, showing great clarity, with a huge amount of soft, pillowing off-white head that leaves chunks of lacing on the glass...

Smell is a bit off, somewhat sweet with some spoiled dark fruits. Overwhelmingly malty on the nose, bready, caramel and a bit roasted, but very little bitterness. A slightly sour note emerges towards the end, bad can?

OK, nasty. What the hell is going on, such a beautiful pour but completely downhill after that. Very sweet initially, almost cloying, bready, toffee sweet malts overwhelm. Slightly bitter at the end, but not a good bitter, just off...

Medium bodied with good carbonation and a good tingle on the palette...

This beer started out great, awesome looking can and a beautiful pour, however, it all fell apart after that.

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Cloudy reddish brown. Basically a rust color. Pours with a small amount of head.

S - A little bit of a pine smell to it, not a strong aroma.

T - Sweet red ale start with a pine and earthy finish. A little watery tasting to me.

M - I did taste the cloudiness in the mouthfeel. It didn't match the taste for me.

D - It's just alright for me. I wouldn't hunt it down but wouldn't turn it down at a BBQ either.

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a clean, deep, auburn color typical of most American Pale Ales (think Sierra Nevada). Carbonation is just right. A white head forms but thins fairly quickly. Lacing isn't bad.

Beer is Fairly well hopped with bitter and some fruity citrus aromas. More sweet maltiness than anticipated for a low ABV beer.

While the smell and appearance brought to mind an APA the malt flavors have much more in common with the English Style Pale it's classified as. Although I will say it vaguely makes me think of early APA Liberty Ale but more bitter. I have to admit this is a much better tasting beer than expected. The previously mentioned low ABV keeps this very drinkable and refreshing.

Not sure if it's the low expectations, the fact I haven't had a beer in this style in awhile and enjoyed the change of pace, or that it paired so well with my salsa con queso but I found this one very enjoyable and may enjoy again at some point.

3.58/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Dark amber in appearance with a finger of sticky white head. Good lacing and head retention along with tons of carbonation rising from the bottom and sticking to the sides.

S- All malts, seems to be no hops at all. A bit roasted on the nose with a predominant sweet, caramel malt smell. Smell really surprised me and was not expecting the all malt aroma.

T- Mostly sweet caramel malts, a bit roasted here also. Does finish a bit bitter so there is indeed some hops in here. It still seems there should be more here though, sorta disappointing.

M- Smooth, light-medium body, sort of slick or syrupy on the mouthfeel also.

D- Pretty good, lighter body and low ABV makes it an easy drinker.

Don't know if I would buy it again, not really what I expected. Maybe it's my lack of experience with English IPA's.

3.08/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from bottle in to my trusty irish pub pint glass,Hazed off golden garnet color elixer with an off white head that hung thick with good lacing.
Very malt forward yeasty aroma.
Malty yeasty flavors riegn supreme with late bitering hops.
Pretty thick chewy brew, thick with malt.
Good abv good carbanation, just not my style.

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

A: OK, this is pedantic, but it's simply not a pale ale. Now, I didn't call it a pale ale; BA didn't call it a pale ale; the *brewery* calls it a pale ale. It's not. It pours a clear amber to brown color with an impressive 3-finger head, not unlike a cask pour.

S: Nicely hoppy, but with a good malt backbone.

T: Sweet malt dominates the front, with a crisp hop bite hitting in the center. The finish is decently bitter, and the aftertaste is a nice, clean, hoppy bitterness. This is a tad sweeter than your typical English PA, but it's quite good.

M: If you don't have it too cold, it comes close to a good cask ale. The bubbles are large and persistent, and the hop oils nicely coat the tongue.

D: This is a fantastic session beer. No complaints here. The balance of sweet to bitter was just about right, and left me wanting another. ¡Bien hecho!

3.68/5  rDev +7%

Appearance - Cloudy, hazy, reddish/brown color with an off white, very pronounced head. Yellowish/orange hues around the bottom and sides. The head is really sticking around and leaving some honorable lacing. Looks pretty good really.

Smell - Some real nice floral hops jump out at first. A swell toasty, biscuity aroma with even a touch of caramel sweetness. Some fruitiness that I detect as being orange citrus. Very well balanced and provoking. At the end I was smelling gum drops. Interesting!!!

Taste - Fair amount of hop bitterness with some grapefruit. Has a bit much of the alcohol flavor for my taste, but easily bearable. Has an unessential dry "chalkiness" to the taste also. Even a toasted breadiness plugging away at the taste buds as it crosses the tongue.

Mouthfeel - Medium. Very dry. Mostly smooth and even a tad creamy. Leaves a nice amount behind after the swallow.

Drinkability - This brew totally surprised me!!! Very respectable and worth a try. The "chalkiness" would get to me after a while I think, but manageable for a few glasses. I would try this again no problem. This reminds me of the Southwest desert for sure.

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Nice orange amber color with a little reddish inside and good carbonation, the head is with mixed bubbles and disappears really slowly leaving behind a lot of traces on the glass, the color is not totally withe but a very pale light brown. Nice looking.

S: Really good smell a sweetness can be sensed right away and also a malty smell, this opens your senses incredibly and rises your expectations, a balanced but strong combination is expected.

T: Good flavor but the bitterness strikes just at the begging the sweetness is almost lost or imperceptible, what is just sad, but according to the stile meets the requirements.

M: The bitterness makes this beer a difficult one, the ending is good lasting for a while but leaving a dryness and bitterness in the back of your mouth.

2.58/5  rDev -25%

picked this little bitch up at a hole in the wall in anaheim. when I asked the guy at the counter how it was, he said great if you like pale ale. he lied. like many of its other mexican counterparts this beer falls short and leaves me disapointed. kinda like the night I lost my virginity...wah wah wah.

pours amber. strong white head. fades fast.

smells strongly of hops.

taste is unbalanced. strong bitterness. a lackluster bite up front that leaves you wanting more. and not in a good way. all in all a bland beer. if you have the chance to tr this...dont

3.98/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 650ml bottle. Since this is a West Coast (Baja) Mexican beer, it's not surprising that it's actually a lot like a West Coast style pale ale. Pours a rich coppery colour, not unlike an amber. The nose is alive with bright hop aromas—pine, citrus, tropical fruits. For just a 5.8% ABV pale ale it has quite a lot of body. It has a nice creaminess to it as well, and the finish is bracingly bitter.

2.95/5  rDev -14.2%

pours a dark amber with strong white head that leaves a nice solid stringy lacing. dark for a pale ale.

smell has no hops present. very yeasty and there is some alchohol present in the nose which is highly irregular for such a relatively low abv.

ill give them the benefit of the doubt and say that the hops have faded due to the bottle being old. hot sticky malts and over yeastiness with a minimal worn out hop presence towards the end.

even with all its flaws, this beer is very refreshing and a worthy pale ale that i would love to try fresh.

Light amber color. Good rocky white head. Fairly dark for a pale ale. By far a total surprise coming from Mexico. Unlike any other Mexican beer I have ever had. Lots of hop bitterness, could have used more hop flavor and aroma to balance it out. Nice amount of malt. Really too hoppy for a pale ale, but not enough alcohol to be an IPA.

4.13/5  rDev +20.1%

Beer of the Month selection -- served in a tulip glass.

A: Brilliant deep amber and mahogany color with a nice 2 inch velvety brown head that produces some excellent lacing. But they lose a point on the rating for having the ugliest looking creature I've ever seen on the label. I've never heard of a chupacabra before, but I wouldn't want to run into one.

S: Nice piney earthy tones in the aroma with some fruity flavors like apple and pineapple.

T: Picking up pine, citrus hops, grassy notes, chocolate malts with a pleasant bitter finish. Nice balance of sweet malty flavors with bitter hops.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation.

D: Ugly creature on the label aside, very pleasant surprise from the BOMC. Very drinkable as a session type beer, or could be paired with a hearty sandwich or cheeseburger. I often question whether I should renew my BOMC membership and if it's worth the premium price -- but it's beer finds like this that keep me coming back. I'll definitely be on the lookout to pick up a six pack or two of this.

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

Bought this at party source because I'd never seen it before. Pours a cloudy amber out of a really cool looking can. Not very much head, but decent lacing. Mostly malt forward aroma with very little hop presence. The taste is much hoppier than I expected. Not in the same league as some other pale ales, but a really good balance of flavors with a little bit of earthy flavored hop bite. I will definitely buy this beer again. This was a great find.

4.13/5  rDev +20.1%

Decent hop aroma apparent, much more so than any Mexican mega beers. A clear copper-amber color is presented, much like the Anderson Valley Boont Amber just enjoyed previously. Poured down the middle of a large glass stein it produces a nice head that dissipates pretty quickly without much lacing, but is easily refreshed with a swirl or a swig.

Somewhat balanced flavor with a little more hop predominating over the malt (100% malt the Craft Beer label notes). Nice grain presence in front with a little bitter hop kick back. Worthy of its goat-eating monster namesake.

Nice to see Mexico getting into the craft beer movement. I was told this is the first Mexican micro imported into the U.S.

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%

12 ounce can. I bought Cucapa on a whim for a recent camping trip. I always like to go with canned beer when I'm camping for an extended period of time, and the can really appealed to me, though I was slightly worried about the quality of what I would be drinking. From what I recall it was actually pretty good, but I figured I would sit down and try it properly. Pours the color of fresh rust with a small yet frothy head. The aroma of this beer certainly isn't very promising. I get a weak watery smell and an odd aroma that reminds me of a swimming pool from back home. Maybe an algae smell is the best way to describe it. It's not an attractive smell at all. Mouthfeel is very sticky, almost like chugging honey. There's some carbonation but not enough. I get lots of sweet toffee malt with some pine hops struggling to get out of the finish. Lingering burnt brown sugar finish. This thing is all about the malt. It's like they set out to go the complete opposite of an IPA in terms of style. It's good, but I honestly like more balance in my pale ales. Still, this is arguably the best Mexican beer that I've ever had, Negro Modelo notwithstanding.

3.75/5  rDev +9%

4.22/5  rDev +22.7%

Another great surprise from this micro in Mexicali, near the border to San Diego.

Micro beer distribution here in México, just as in the US, or so I've read, sucks big time. So, two other fellow BAs and yours truly bought some cases of Cucapá beers, and had them delivered by freight trucks. :-)

Pours a nice dark orange, with a fluffy long living tan head, that leaves a nice ans sticky lace along the glass.

Smell is citrusy, with some malts in the background, faint ripe fruits are barely noticed.

Taste is beautifuly and surprisingly bitter, well balanced though with some caramel malts.

Mouthfeel is creamy with a and bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability, for me at least, is high. Most of my Mexican friends don't dig the bitterness this beer delivers.

¡Salud!

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Crystal clear amber liquid with a huge billowy, creamy head that sticks around until the end. This is the best part of this beer, it looks awesome!

The nose is a little off putting. Sugary sweet malt, over cooked green veggies, canned soup, old grass clippings, very faded hop notes as well.

The taste isn't quite as bad as the nose. Very sweet malts, sugars, and more canned veggies and grassy notes. There's an odd chemical taste that I can't nail down. It finishes a little grainy and sticky.

Mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Maybe I expected more from this, maybe it was a really old can. Either way I won't be picking this one up again.

Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale from Cucapá Brewing Company