Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale - Cucapá Brewing Company

Cucapá Chupacabras Pale AleCucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale

Cucapá Brewing Company visit their website
Mexico

English Pale Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-24-2008)

Picked up during a trip to Baton Rouge.

The beer pours a golden-orange color with a white head. The aroma is fairly sweet and has a lot of sugar, toffee and biscuit malt notes. The flavor is fairly similar, with some biscuit and toffee malt. The beer is very dry and there is not much, if any, hop flavor. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

650ml bottle - the first bomber, I believe, for Mexican craft beer in these environs. And the Chupacabras only resonates to me as an X-Files reference (at least it's not a Simpsons' one, though if I checked, it probably could be....)

This beer pours a clear, bright medium copper hue, with two fingers of fuzzily foamy off-white head, which settles apace, leaving an undulating frosted shoreline of lace around the glass.

It smells of biscuity grain, a bit of caramel, and fruity, floral hops. Very familiar, somehow. Anyways, the taste is fruity, grainy, bready malt, and did I say fruity? I did? Okay, so this fruit is kind of peppery too, keeping things on a more even keel, some noble hop bitterness adding to the more or less fruitful (!) leveling effort.

The carbonation is pleasantly peppy, the body an aspiring medium weight, and agreeably smooth. It finishes just off-dry, the fruity malt gaining more black pepper in furthering its outshining of the relatively mild hop showing.

A decent pale ale, the American-level (for the style) booze hard to discern, if at all. Nice balance and integration of the main players, with a decent spiciness. Keep 'em comin', mis amigos...

3.08/5  rDev -10.5%

I had this in a 22 ounce bottle at a restaurant in Boston. Pouring it into a frosty glass, the beer was a dark amber color with minimal head. Caramel in the aroma. Strong caramel and husky malt mixed with raw hops on the palate. The flavors are there, but they are not melded together particularly well.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

After the less-than-stellar review I gave the last beer from Cucapa I had dialed my expectations back considerably for this one. No idea how old this bottle is. While this beer wasn’t the greatest I’ve ever tried, it wasn’t another disappointment. Proof that one beer does not a brewery make.

This appears an amber-auburn in color. There’s a musty-sweet aroma with a light hoppyness to it. Not an exciting smell, I keep thinking of the first Cucapa I’ve tried and feel like I detect a little bit of the honey fermented sweetness as well. But this is a hoppier, honeyed amber, with a low hop aroma and flavor but a definite bitterness on the flavor and finish.

2.8/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm not sure where this can came from, but it's been sitting in my garage fridge for a little while and no one has claimed it ... I guess I'll open it.

A: A cloudy apricot with a half-inch head and perfect lacing. Part of the appearance rating goes to the artwork. Possibly the coolest looking can I've ever seen.

S: Not bad, but not great. Very malty, and somewhat floral. Not my cup of tea...or brew.

T: Malty but muted.

M: Better than expected. Medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

O: Not bad. I wouldn't seek this out - but I'd drink it again. I will say, being that it is cloudy and brewed in Mexico - I'm worried how the Chupacabras will treat me tomorrow. Wish me luck.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Had at Novare Res and shared with my wife.

Served in a mug forms a big thick head amber. The beer is almost hazy not transparent.

The aroma is malt sweet crystal malt big big malt.

The taste matches big malt (how do they drink this in hot Mexico?) all malt sweet with an almost tartness from the barley. The mouth is very smooth and leaves a nice fresh feel.

I thought it was ehh but my wife loved it.

3.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a standard pint a deeper than expected amber with athinner but well retained white head,much deeper in color than most pale ales I have come across.Buttery notes in the nose along with some biscuit and leafy hops,its's English in nature no doubt.Biscuit malt and light caramel malty tones on the palate with a passing herbal hop note in the finish.Ho hum in nature,its a drinkable EPA but nothing really stands out here.

3.93/5  rDev +14.2%

Chupacabras

Pours a murky brownish color, big soapy off white head and a very nice display of sheet lacing down the whole side of the glass. Aroma is bready, with some cereal grains mixed in. In the taste, nutty maltyness, a glimpse of citrusy hops, and a toffee like flavor in the finish. Simple flavors that go together quite nicely. Nutty, sugary malts, small hop presence, even balance and a clean finish. Overall, this is the best beer of Mexican origin that I have had to date by a good margain.

3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Picked up on a whim from Julio's. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear light brownish amber color wtih a creamy half a finger head that fades to leave average side lacing and a nice lumpy cloud.

S - Getting some light hops (grassy not really bitter) and some light sweet malts, slightly buttery. Quite pleasant.

T - Similar to the nose. Getting some slight fruity hop notes followed by sweet malts and almost some honey flavour. There is a nice slight bitter finish to the beer.

M - Very smooth, almost thick. Not watery at all. The hop oils help this one out and the ABV is not noticeable. Find myself wanting to raise the glass back to my lips each time I put it down.

O - I'm surprised at how much I liked this beer. This is my first non macro mexican based beer and I really enjoyed it. Would definately buy this beer again to show off what a country can offer.

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

Around a finger’s worth of orange tinted tan foam, more uneven surface than dimpled, mix of bubble sizes, adequate retention and nothing more, the lacing does stick excellently though. The liquid is a mix of brown and orange hues, perhaps too dark for pure amber, mildly more yellow around the rims, not much visible carbonation. Grainy, hoppy nose that is decidedly on the bitter side of things, the grapefruit to orange citrus sour and dry, even the flowers seem arch, the apple, pear, peach fruit scents fill out as it warms while retaining cut and penetrating power, cocoa and vanilla powder maltiness rounds things out somewhat, sniff when you want a challenge back at you. Full-bodied, on the heavy and leaden side, the carbonation is soft and full bringing a creamy mouth feel to match up against the general bitter bite. Sort of boozy feel and bourbon like flavors, the peat moss to crabgrass keeps it green and mean, lots of salinity and minerality too. The orange citrus tart and more pith than pulp. Comes across as well-malted, however, the caramel, chocolate, cocoa flavors are hard pressed to speak clearly but do feed into that hard alcohol profile. Interesting and not sure it easily fits into any recognized style.

4.13/5  rDev +20.1%

Tried this beer for the first time last week-end - my first scent of hops in 45 days!? Loved it and purchased several to take home - and it's just as good now, even without the "surprise" factor. A Mexican brewed APA!! Awesome.

Beautiful amber colour, clear until the hazy sediment at the bottom of a bottle.

Incredible "west coast" aroma - citrus and tropical fruits. Well balanced flavour that emphasizes hops, but combines the sweetness of caramelized malts and mango/pineaplle/tropical loveliness with the grapefruit bitterness I admire.

Personally I'd classify this an as APA rather than an IPA, but either way I will be driving hours to find more (until I get back to the land that is more friendly to "hop heads")...

Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale from Cucapá Brewing Company