Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale - Cucapá Brewing Company

English Pale Ale |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-24-2008

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.06/5  rDev -13.1%

Set out to find a Mexican beer I hadn't tried for a midday Cinco de Mayo session. Maybe it had been sitting a while and I stirred some stuff up with my pour, but what looked like a nice deep golden/red ale, was somewhat spoiled upon closer inspection of all the shit floating around in it. Smells fruity. Taste is somewhat bland compared to my expectation. Bitter, watery finish. Burning through this sixer on a sunny day manning a grill wouldn't be a bad experience, but I can't say I'm all that impressed with Chupacabras. (524 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -1.1%

I picked this up at a liquor store in town that has an awesome taco stand in the back. I chose this at random and was pleasantly surprised. It is worth mentioning that the bottle cap was pretty gunky on the outside and it looked like it could have been there awhile so I can't vouch for how fresh it was. Poured in to a pint glass.

A- Clear, dark orange-red. Small off-white head that faded quickly. Looked like it had some really fine sediment suspended throughout.

S- Faintly sweet, malty. Alcohol as well.

T- Sweet and malty first with sour grain and alcohol also present.

M- I found this to be fairly light and watery. Some carbonation, but on the weak side. Refreshing with a lingering finish.

D- Light and refreshing. It went really well with the asada (steak) burrito I "paired" it with. Cuts right through the spiciness. Great as well while doing yard work. Fairly well balanced, but on the weak side. I liked it, but I probably won't buy it again. (961 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Drunk on a hot day in Merida Mexico so that may be causing a higher rating than what it would otherwise give. Hard to see the beer and smell it since it is in a bottle. I was surprised though that it is so light of a color. It tastes towards the porter side and could very well pass for a dark beer on a blind taste test.

Taste is hoppy very much on the piney side. As if it has been dry hopped. It is not too subtle but a much better choice than the lager swill sold everywhere in Mexico. Has a fruity yeasty aspect to it and also rather sweet. Dinner rolls, brandy soaked apricots, pine, maraschino cherries. Reminds me of Ratsherrn pale ale in Hamburg that was my go to pale ale when I lived in Germany in both taste and experience. If I were living in Mexico this might become my standby.

Mouthfeel is excellent, viscous and syrupy. (839 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

EnglishBeer in Mexico!!!

[Eyes] Amber color with a nice head and lacing.

[Nouse] Caramel malts and a spicy lightly earthy hop balance. from Mexico?! Amaziinggg!!! The aroma is great the hop is dominant,

[Mouth] In mouth the first touch is amazing, fresh but the afther taste is very bitter. and goood full body. Bravo Mario and team. (337 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm not sure where this can came from, but it's been sitting in my garage fridge for a little while and no one has claimed it ... I guess I'll open it.

A: A cloudy apricot with a half-inch head and perfect lacing. Part of the appearance rating goes to the artwork. Possibly the coolest looking can I've ever seen.

S: Not bad, but not great. Very malty, and somewhat floral. Not my cup of tea...or brew.

T: Malty but muted.

M: Better than expected. Medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

O: Not bad. I wouldn't seek this out - but I'd drink it again. I will say, being that it is cloudy and brewed in Mexico - I'm worried how the Chupacabras will treat me tomorrow. Wish me luck. (683 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

This is pretty darn yummy. Happy that there's a good Mexican craft cerveza, and even better that it's in cans.

This beer pours fairly on the orange side, quite hazy, and gets a pretty nice, light tan, frothy head. The smell has floral and grassy hops as its outstanding feature, but there's a sugary note too. The front tastes show off a nice balance of bready and full bodied malts against a fresh and green hop flavor, those malts seem grainy and sugary before finishing with a fair touch of dryness. Something feels a touch off with the body and carbonation, like it turned out a little syrupy for its style.

Overall, I'd like to say I hope I see this can around more often. Good mid day and summer beer to have with a simple lunch, like (in this case) goat brain tacos. (776 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -9.1%

I had great expectations for this beer and all of Cucapa´s brews. This is a nice beer but does not live up to the hype.

It is a bitter ale, with dark reddish color, no head at all and nice carbonation.

A very average ale, with citric offerings, and a touch of spices. (270 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +25.6%

One of the best, if not the best mexican beer available. Deep red copper color. Very good head formation and very good lace retention. Aromas of roasted malts and heavy and intense citrus, limes, grapefruits. An aggresive explosion of flavors of well defined sweet malts, alcohol character and an intense and aggresive load of citrus hops that amaze the palate. Very good semi-robust body. Excelent on any ocassion. The Mexican Chupacabras resulted better than the San Diego Arrogance and that´s someting. (506 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +22.2%

I really enjoyed this beer. Had it on tap at the Chef's Table in Rocklin, CA. Not really a typical pale ale as I felt it was a little hoppy for an English Pale Ale and too malty for an American Pale Ale. That aside, it had a very good balance between the malt and the hops. Noticeable citrusy hop aroma. Hops also noticed initially in taste followed for a caramel sweetness from the malt. Pretty full bodied. Neither hops or malt lingered creating a very drinkable beer. (470 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

Introduced to me by my brother-in-law from philly

I was turned off at first by the spooky bottle label and the fact that it was made in mexico.

Poured a pleasant orange/copper color

You get the smell and taste of hops at first and then a balanced sweet warm larger finish.

This is a ale that will surprize your friends,just don't let the label scare your kids. (364 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -23.6%

First off, I'm new to this site and this is my first review. I'm also new to all the beer terminology. Here goes...

I picked up a 6-pack of this and also some Negra Modelo on the way to a Mexican-food-themed party. I can't comment on appearance because I drank it from the bottle (no cups at the time). The bottle itself was also dark, giving little hint of how the beer looked.

I actually liked the smell of it but was unpleasantly surprised by the taste. It was quite bitter and way too many herb/spice flavors. Overpowering for me. I didn't like the taste. I was drinking it to accompany soft tacos w/ varying meats (pollo, carne asada or carnitas).

Mouthfeel was great so I really wanted to keep drinking it, but the flavor kept turning me off. I took a few more sips to see if I could get used to the taste, but it was really a chore for me. Sorry, but this beer wasn't for me and I had to leave the bottle half-empty. (926 characters)

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last