Saison D'Erpe-Mere - KleinBrouwerij De Glazen Toren

Saison D'Erpe-MereSaison D'Erpe-Mere

KleinBrouwerij De Glazen Toren visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 06-29-2005)
3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

A- Poured a milky pale orange, with medium to little head that ended in a white lace by the end

S- hints of citrus fruit present along with a scent of bannanna

T- A citrus flavor is present that desends into a bitter aftertaste. I felt that it was dry and hoppy that stayed on the tongue long after you finished your drink.

M- A dry aftertaste that was shadowed by its bitter nature. You can taste the flavors of citrus and fruit. This beer definately stays with you after you are done.

D- While not my favorite Saison I am glad that I tried it. I would be hard pressed to choose this beer again but I am glad that I had the chance to experience it first hand.

cbros, Jun 02, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Hazy, almost opaque golden yellow color. Huge chunky white head with remarkable lacing.

S - Fruity yeast smell. A little funk and some lemon. Also a little biscuity malt aroma.

T - Citrusy yeast taste. A hint of spice as well. Mild hop bitterness to provide a little balance. Leaves a rather tart aftertaste.

M/D - Medium bodied and on the chewy side. My first saison and I like it. A very drinkable brew. Similar in taste to the Orval Belgian Pale Ale that I had earlier.

ckeegan04, May 24, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -9%

First off, this beer has TONS of carbonation to it. The pour left me with 2-2.5 inches of snowy foam. Sexy. Tons of bubbles are pouring up from the bottom, perhaps it's the beer, perhaps the glass was dirty. Great head retention. Even after 5 minutes there is still plenty of foam. The color is straw-golden and very enticing. I'm mesmerized just watching all the tiny little bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass and no, I'm not currently on any mind-altering substances. Anyways, when I took a whiff I got a pronounced aroma of bread and some mild citrus. I've never tried this type of beer before so I had no idea what to expect. When I took a sip my tongue was greeted with an intense burst of bubbles, reminded me of soda water, but you know...much better tasting. I can only describe the taste with one word: crisp. Although this style didn't seem to jump at me and it's definitely not something I'd drink on an everyday basis, I'll definitely try it again.

DontCallMeSurly, Mar 16, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

What a find! Had this on tap at Max's in Fells Point.
Slightly hazy pour with excelent lacing, a huge head and champagne bubbles throughout.
The aroma had hints of bubblegum, lemon pasrty, vanilla, candi sugar, and butter. Excellent.
Citrus and butter, grass, sugars and sweet fruits. Damn near the best Saison I've ever had.
The feel was fizzy then bitter, then fades to smooth, but slightly bland. This was the only shortcoming in the beer, if there was one. It ends a little bit tongue-coating but still a little bland.
Overall this beer was excellent, no ifs ands or buts. Find it and drink it.

sinistrsam, Mar 07, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A slight murky, yellow, golden, orange beer with an enormous head that easily foams over when poured in the glass. The carbonation is high, lots of streams rise quicly to the top.

Smell is fresh with typical Saison smells like Dupont beers have. I smell cork, and citric notes supported by a big hoppy smell which also has citric notes of lemon. A light tartness is noticable.

Taste is corky with lemon zest and very minor rubbery tastes. The yeast plays the biggest role and produces fresh, almost sour, cork, lemon zest and clove. The hops are raw and mild resinous, they add an extra depth. The body is quite thin and the beer misses just a bit of complexity that other saisons have.

Absumaster, Feb 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

750 ML capped and paper wrapped bottle. Bottling date "24 OKT 2007."

Chill hazed golden colored beer with a strong white head, pour this one carefully.

Abundant aroma hits you from a distance, Belgian light Candi sugar and flowers. Spicy smell with strong coriander and a strong herbal bite. Flower scents are a bit obscured by the herbal bite. This is an exceptionally strongly scented Saison but peach and lemon do manage to overcome the herbs.

The taste starts out spicy and herbal much like the smell. Very slightly sweet but this is a powerfully spicy ale so it says something that it can be sensed at all. Flowers do manage to breakout from the spice this isn't a lightly flavored Saison. I know I have mentioned spice rather a lot in this beer but it is the one word that really sums it up. This beer is a bit young in the bottle but the spiciness is to the point of being hot almost in intensity.

Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkability will probably be better with an older bottle of this after the intensity fades a little bit. This three-month-old bottle is on the aggressive side right now. Still I will absolutely finish the bottle and I will buy it again. Powerful Juju Magic in this bottle.

Zorro, Feb 17, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Out of a 750ml capped bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange color with a huge dense whip cream like head. Awesome lacing, this is how beer should look. The smell is of tart citrus, mainly lemon, green apple skins, and a dry hay like malt aroma. The taste is of tart citrus and green apples, a touch of candi sugar, and a slight metallic twang. Not as barnyard as I hoped. The feel is moderate with light carbonation, finishes more on the tart side of the saison spectrum. A nice saison and a very good one if you like them tart. I like more spiciness to my saison but this was still very enjoyable and it looks fantastic.

Gmann, Feb 17, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

hazy straw golden/honey colored with a big, fluffy, white head that held well and left georgeous lace. nose was fruity (pear, peach, apricot), spicy yeasty (white pepper and such), and a little bicuity. taste had all the characteristics of the nose, but hit my palate with a slightly tart lemony citrusy attack, and finished with a spritzy wheaty taste. mouthfeel was really great. much silkier and smoother than expected, with just the right ammount of carbonation. dangerously drinkable. one of the nicest saisons i've had.

timtim, Jan 23, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Bottled in 2005 (tasted in 2008)

Appearance: Pours a cloudy pale golden color with a sturdy beaten egg white head that persists perfectly and leaves patterns of abstract designs in the chalice

Smell: Whoa Nellie, there is something gone wrong here. On some whiffs, I pull in the characteristic Saison aromatics of green apples, pears, barnyard funk and yeast and on others, it smells like gasoline (or should I say petrol, given its heritage)

Taste: Holding my nostrils and swirling it on my tongue produces a combination of the aromatic elements, with the addition of a lemony element; fortunately, the balance is in favor of the Saison; the flavor does not develop much after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Light and spritzy; just like I would expect

Drinkability: I guess this beer just cannot last this long in the cellar so I will have to try it on another occasion

brentk56, Jan 11, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

A - Kinda a dark lager yellow color, bot really golden though... Kinda wierd actually. Good head with good retention.

S - Honey dominates, with apricot, biscut, lemon, and slight grassy hops. Powerful, clean, Very good.

T - Starts out with lots of citric flavors, with building honey flavors. The finish is lightly hoppy (grassy) and spicy, while being quite funky. Not quite deep, but very quafable, exactly what I look for from this style.

M - Crisp and lively. No complaints here.

D - This was really good, Will be a fun thing to recomend as an alternative or addition to Saison Dupont. Complex enough to want another glass, and sessionable enough to be able to.

SammyDavisJrJrJr, Jan 09, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours orange, with a big rocky head that leaves a ton of lace.

Sweet cinnamon and orange peel. Lemongrass tang and metallic stuff.

Sweet up front. Rich almost toffee-chocolate like notes midtongue. Leaves an unpleasant metallic bitterness.

Medium bodied, fairly drinkable despite the metallic tang.

nortmand, Dec 03, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle: Poured a deep cloudy yellow/beige color ale with a huge foamy head with great retention and loads of foam sticking to the glass. Aroma is quite spicy which is probably coming from the yeast strain used by the brewer. Taste is a mix between some deep semi-sweet Belgian malt, some fruity ester and a spicy finish from the yeast with some light funky notes as well. Body is full with limited filtration with some great carbonation. Very well done overall but I still think this is a notch below the Dupont.

Phyl21ca, Dec 03, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Had this on tap at Max's the other day.

The beer pours a hazy gold color with good head retention and fair lacing. On the nose I get some light citrus, spice and honey. Not a lot on the nose, but what I do get is pleasant enough. On the palate there is a lot going on. The beer starts off with some moderate sweetness, but then one gets some pepper and bitterness on the finish. The finish is actually quite dry with noticeable bitterness. There is a nice smooth mouthfeel, and one does notice the 7.5% towards the end of the finish. Nevertheless, this beer finishes quite well with the abv. well disguised.

This is a nice beer and reminds me somewhat of a baby version of the Houblon from Chouffe.

John_M, Nov 13, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a slightlty hazed straw/bronze with 2+ fingers of eggshell white head, a bit of a foamer/gusher. Above average head retention & average lacing

S: Lemony & peppery notes.

T: Some tartness, lemons, a bit of honey malt & bit of phenolics up front. Lemongrass, a bit of white grape, honey & grains of paradise show up as this warms. Finishes a bit tart with grapefruit, pineapple, apricot & honey malt & lemony tartness, plus whisper of grainyness

MF: Spritzy & fairly light bodied for the abv.

Drinks pretty easy this edges almost closer to a wit than a saison to me, but still works

russpowell, Oct 28, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

750 ml bottle whose wrapper is dated 02 JUN 2007, poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, with an absolutely massive white head taking up 3/4 of the glass. Light and pillowy, fairly slow to recede and very rocky, with huge hunks of foam clinging to the glass as it settles. The beer is a hazy gold, on the darker side. Absolutely gorgeous!

Aroma is bright, very floral and citrusy, like a blast of perfume from warm breeze blowing through a field of wildflowers, with a hint of quinine like dryness. Very nice, although maybe a bit too much of a good thing?

I was pleasantly surprised to see the taste is more restrained and balanced then the nose, still plenty of perfumy sweet, but tempered by a nice zesty spiciness, a hint of mint reminiscent of green peppercorns. Full flavored and robust, but bone dry with a lingering, bitter finish. Good, but still a bit to floral for my taste to the style. Certainly very complex, but no barnyard funk as far as I can tell. Less barn and more fields. I dumped the yeast dregs in with the last glass from the bottle, and found this significantly softened the sweetness, and brought the flavor profile into my preferred range.

Mouthfeel is so light it's almost like drinking air, but in a good way, with a sharp crispness.

This was a pretty drinkable saison, much more so for me with the yeast. I'm really glad I gave it a try, and look forward to working through De Glazen Toren's other offerings.

ccrida, Oct 21, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one pours a cloudy yellow color with a very tall white head that has good retention and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. The aroma is great. Lemon and pepper along with other spices and plenty of yeasty zest. The flavor is extremely crisp. Lots of lemony-zesty flavors along with some peppery spices and a bit of grassy. Extremely tasty. The body is medium and has a very crisp finish. The drinkability is very good.

clvand0, Oct 09, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle #12010, cellared for a little over a year. 750ml bottle served at just over fridge temperature in the trusty Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Pale gold, with an *extremely* loud crackling head. There's wild activity inside the glass, and the massive four-finger snow white crown remains fully intact.

Smell- I began to choke while inhaling this for the first time. Once I regained my breath, notes of hay and malts came forth along with grassy hops. Big alcohol aroma for the style.

Taste- Sharp and cutting, the beer's palate gets right to the point and emphasizes a grassy, straw-like flavor that beckons summertime sipping. The finish is bone dry with some very bold hops.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Excellent texture, on the brighter side of eloquent. The sediment addition quiets the mouthfeel and imparts a heavier texture. I enjoyed this beer.

yelterdow, Sep 19, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +18.9%

I hate to make you jealous, but I bought 3 750mls of this for $4.99 each. This is from a truly tiny, craft, and authentic Belgian Brewery.

A-Glorious, glowing, straw yellow with tons of carbonation right from the start. A densely packed, airy white head formed immediately. The super-fine bubbles created an absolutely beautiful presentation. The body had a small amount of yeast suspension, but overall, it was remarkably clear. The active carbonation danced all over the glass.

S-Wonderful, fresh, aroma. There were traces of cut straw, peppery spice, fruity zest, and doughy malt. There is a slight cellar aroma that is lovely. Of course there is a wonderful earthiness that pleases the senses.

T/M-This is as close to a perfectly authentic Saison as you can get. A slightly bitter and citrusy lead finishes wonderfully dry and spicy. A grainy texture leaves very little residual sweetness. The spices seem to be subtle enough to assume it is was a welcomed side affect of a warm fermentation. The crispness leaves you hanging for more. I am stunned by the perfection of this.

D-I do not even know where to start with this. I am not kidding that I could easily commit to accepting this as my life-long beer. If you are someone who can appreciate the delicacies of a true Saison, you will LOVE this. I plan to head back to the store I got this and clean out their stock so that I can share it with friends.

Truly Superb!

ALESwhatCURESya, Aug 25, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Paper wrapped bottle as pictured. "best before two years after bottling date. 23 maart 2006" Gently decanted into a Duvel chalice, is a cloudy light blonde body with a titanic snowwhite head that appears to be very creamy. Head is long lasting and deposits silky sheets of lace on the glass.

Aroma is complex. Lemony citrus and kiwi, hints of orange and banana, spicy notes of pepper and coriander, floral and herbal hops.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. Medium body with the classical saison pastoral satin. Vibrant carbonation.

Taste is dry, with hints of lime peel and orange. Lemony citrus, herbal and floral hop notes, coriander, and a peppery bite enliven. Idyllic notes of a country meadow with grazing sheep gamboling.

Very enjoyable experience. A topnotch Belgian saison.

merlin48, Aug 15, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very cloudy/hazy with tons of life... giant, rocky bright white head that lasts and lasts... some floaties. Looks terrific.

First whiff involved lemon and apple. Touch of hoppy citrus on the second whiff. Excellent floral spiciness... very "fresh" smelling. quite nice.

Definite hop presence the second the beer hits the tongue... followed by a honey-sweet-lemon character. Bit of spicy ginger. Wonderfully dry finish. Apple, wood, peach. Wow... it is good.

Fugazme, Jul 19, 2007

A- Really thick airy white head on a kind of clear golden body. Head fades fast and leaves a thin lacing.
S- Spices come out nicley along with the yeast, hops, light caramel sweetness, light floral notes, and a light "horse blanket".
T- A nice sharp kind of bitterness on the tongue along with the floral notes. Spices and yeast really come through nicely too. The "horse blanket" flavor comes out a bit too. Some lemon flavors come out also. Few other fruits come onto the tongue as well. Alcohol warms up back of throat very lightly but it is there. I also like how someone said gin-like, I think that can describe it quite well.
M- Medium body with medium carbonation.
D- It is pretty decent. I am pleasantly surprised from it since I wasn't expecting much at all. I'm not sure if I would buy another but if I was in mood for a saison and I found this I wouldn't mind having it again at all.

BlindPig, Jul 17, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Deep blonde color, very lightly cloude. A lot of a fluffy, persistent and lacing head.
Good smell, delicate, floreal, with hay, white flowers, camomile. Under that, a fresh hop. Very fresh and inviting.
At the taste there are the same notes, and good spicy hints, stronger in the aftertaste. Orange (and lemon) peel.
Very fresh, thirst-quenching. Very good beer.

stcules, Jun 17, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

750ml bottle comes wrapped in white waxed paper (light deterrent for the green glass?) sporting mini-logos from the brewery (a yellow kettle within a green background). The information section of the paper states that this "Top fermented blond ale is brewed according to the ancient Saison Tradition of Hainaut . Unfiltered, hopped three times and bottle refermented. Non pasteurised and without any additives".

Ingredients: Artesian water, barley and wheat malt, liquid sugar, hops and yeast.

Best before two years after bottling date: 23 MAART 2006

Upon releasing the cap (with little fanfare) I realized my Duvel tulip was still in the cupboard, so I trotted off to get the glass. Upon my return I was shocked to see large-bubbled white foam creeping out of the bottle opening and down the green glass to form Lake Saison on the kitchen island.

While the initial pour results in a straw body, the color runs toward a deep gold by bottles end. The dense, stark white foam reminds me of Anchor Summer without the staying power. Lacing is virtually nonexistent.

Nose is heady with champagne yeast, promising funk, and strains of alcohol esters. While chilled, entry featured spikey carbonation with settled into a silky smoothness as this gem approached cellar temperature. Midtaste showed a light bodied wheat presence with catty fruit overtones.

The finale, however, was pure Saison-heaven. The slightly astringent finish gives way to a mouthcoating, slightly acidic yeast fade which fairly lays down in surrender on the tongue.

Overall, I'm happy I spent the money on this. I can't wait to savor another during the oppressive dog days of August.

IceAce, Apr 10, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Really spicy yeast aroma. Bread and pepper right off. Light hop zing too. Underneath it all is some nice pilsner malt aromas. Some fruity esters from the fermentation too.

Nice gold color with a big thick lasting head. Fully 5 minutes after pouring there's still a 1/2 inch of foam. Lots and lots of rising carbonation bubbles.

What hits me right off is the biting carbonation that makes this seem more bitter than it really is. Actually, it's very malty and honey and fruity ester flavored. The hops are present for bitterness and there's also a good spicey hop flavor. Add in some earthy esters and it's a really nice ale. But the high carbonation washes away most of the flavor before you can really get to it.

Medium bodied and very foamy in the mouth.

I want to really like this beer but the carbonation level gets in the way. I think the flavors are really good but a little too hard to pick out over the carbonation bite.

czechsaaz, Mar 02, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Wildly active head. Hazy golden. Lots of carbonation.

Floral nose. maybe some farmhouse, hops.

Fine, nothing out of place. Not amazing or style-defining but very tasty.

I thought that the beer didn't linger in any meaningful fashion. The flavor, spongy flower and crisp citric hops, just pops and swallows. The drinkability is good, I thought some "dried head" flavor creeped in at the end, possibly from head inside the bottle, um, drying as this was open for a decent period of time. My mistake.

My second beer from De Glazen Toren. I got food poisoning the night following their Canaster Winter Scotch, so finger's crossed.

BretSikkink, Feb 27, 2007