Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Jan De Lichte - KleinBrouwerij De Glazen Toren

Jan De LichteJan De Lichte

KleinBrouwerij De Glazen Toren visit their website

Witbier |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: paterlodie on 12-06-2005

Name : Jan De Lichte was an infamous robbersÂ’ chief at the end of the 18th Century. He was broken on the wheel at the age of 23 at the Marketplace of Aalst.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.66/5  rDev -9.9%

This is a decent witbier, though I can't get past the "double" part. I think this beer would be much better as a single, but it's still good. The beer pours to a light yellowish color with not enough suspended particles to give it the white appearance, but very close. The head is nice and rocky. Lacing is there, but could be better.

The smell has a nice sharp orange zest with a none too impressive malt bill. Tons of coriander and other spicing. The taste is better. Strong orange and lemon zest. Not too bitter, but highly spiced. Has a sweet zing that dries off a bit towards the finish. A bit of alcohol in the taste as well.

The mouthfeel is very interesting. A tad bit tart. Fairly sharp from the carbonation, and seems to hit the palate in every possible corner of my mouth. Seems fairly light in body still.

I would say that I'd drink it again, but it's much too expensive to warrant buying it again. (919 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured into a tulip glass as a super pale, slightly hazy yellow. Little head was suspended above the brew, and no notable (visible) carbonation.

The smell is of cloves, orange peel, and sweet bananas; very faint.

This beer is deceptively light-bodied (almost watery) and easy-drinking; the alcohol is completely hidden. A bit too light for my tastes. (354 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%

This poued from its 750mL bottle into my pint glass with a wreckless amount of CO2, and thus, created a glass full of foam which I immediately poured away and started over. A very gentle pour resulted in a nice, cloudy orange body with a white foamy head. Tiny particulates and a couple of larger bits could be seen floating about. As I have said in other reviews, when it comes to many Belgian styles, the more debris and crap floating in it, the more appealing it is to me. Smell was assertively fruity. Fresh cut green apples, perhaps a bit of pear, a pinch of spice, and a bit citrusy, too. Very nice. Taste reflected these, but not with the strength they displayed in the aroma. Also, alcohol is a bit too detectable at only 7%, which surprised me a little. Mouthfeel is okay, but as I mentioned earlier, this thing is very carbonated; a bit much for my liking, actually. Drinkability, too, suffers on account of the CO2 in this one. It's good and I like it, but I would not be able to tolerate too much of this as gassy as it is. A good beer, though, and I'm certainly glad I had the opportunity to try it. (1,112 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer wasn't too shabby, It looked like a traditional Wit. The color was hazy yellow white a foamy white head on it. The aromas were yeasty, citrusy and some what like a farmhouse. This beer has a bit of a salty taste to it, I'm not really sure how much I dig this. The other flavors are light and soft mostly wheat coming through. The mouthfeel is refreshing a light. It's not a bad Wit, the salty flavor is just a little odd for me. (438 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Presented in a 750ml with no label, just decorative yet informative paper surrounding the bottle

A: Pours a pale golden honey with just a touch of haze. Monsterous, towering snowy white head is keeping me from smelling this beer. Lots of microscopic bubbles meander to the surface from the base.

S: Fresh and inviting. Cloves, lemon grass, coriander and faint wheat all play nicely together.

T: Very acidic, citrusy base. Hits you immediately on the tip of the tongue then lingers on the front center the remainder of the process. Strong straw and grass flavors take the place of any real malty flavors. Fairly spicy with some metallic tastes. Cloying pineapple sweetness hits around the sides of the tongue. Bit of bitterness towards the end that coats the tongue.

M: Medium bodied with a bit of a fuzzy mouthfeel

D: Not nearly as fresh tasting as the smell would lead you to believe. A bit cloying and syrupy really. (933 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Hazy lightly brownish yellow appearance, big and very homogenous head of over an inch. Not much lace, sheets slip down the sides. Bright aroma, not much spice, lots of stone fruit. Body is heavier than many Wits, lots of internal carbonation. Not a lot of coriander, not a lot of orange, not a lot of yeastiness -- on this one there is much more of a strong tanginess. Lemony with some apparent hop bitterness, a little bit of of banana esters. Unpleasantly carbonated at first, does a better job when it sits for a while. Slight sense of alcohol by volume. Doesn't strike me as a particular standout in its category and it has that de Glazen Toren gassiness that makes the swallow more difficult than it can be. (712 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%

Pulled from the fridge, left to sit for a few, & uncapped all in a few minutes(my fridge isn't very cold). Served in a random pilsner glass that I don't recall ever owning before. I don't really drink any pilsners, so it's strange to find such a glass floating around my bachelor pad. I better change the locks.

1) A snippet of white froth develops atop a dusty, sulfur-colored body. It dies, we move on.

2) Your nose dives in & begins to drown, just seconds after opening, you're nearly put down by a big fruity/floral gust of aerosol to the face. As much as you can take in, you can grab. She even conveniently forgot to wear any underwear. Lucky you. Limes, copper, pepper, dry leaves, with fresh buttery cantaloupe drooling all over it. Oh, I can't wait to dive in & taste it!

Prepare to be disappointed.

3) Dry, bready, & boozy all the way through. Bitter orange greets you at the beginning, mixed up with bushy greens, & ending with the obligatory yeast finale. Is that it? Really?! I just don't know what to say. Thats never happened to me before. Well, not enough to write it off as simply a bad day.

4)The alcohol is just way too obvious, & the brew just sits there. Soothing carbonation that tingles, but does not bite. Refreshingly thin, but slick like a glaze or chicken stock.

5)Questionably quaffable, but it needs to be cold, straight out of the fridge. It has as much going for it then, as it ever will. Go for the lemon wedge if you want, but help yourself by grabbing some frosted cookies(something crispy with a ridiculous amount of artificial vanilla on it) instead. I bought a case of these "Nonni's Limone Biscotti" at Costco for like eight cents, & considering how shitty I brew coffee, I think I've finally found a use for them. (1,762 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last