Microbrew Invitational

Style: Dubbel

Added by WorldWideStout on 02-01-2012

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 13
4.24/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So the story on this beer is that it was aged in French oak barrels that were first used for Pinot Noir and then used for whipper snapper whiskey.

The nose is all wood and a mash of wood and booze tones. Off that, I expected it to be hotter than it ended up being. It's quite smooth. Especially as it warms up. I do get some Pinot noir on this; more so than any whiskey influence.

The best thing I can say about this is that it seemed like a sipper (which it still is, really), but it was gone before I would have liked it to have been. A nice beer. Definitely appropriate to age this one in barrels.

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cuvee Angelique aged in whisky and Pinot Noir barrels.

A: Light brown body, with a bit of copper as well. No head at all.

S: Wine dominates the nose. There's a bit of whisky and caramel as well.

T: Wine gets center stage here as well, with sour grapes and tartness balanced by a bit of red grape sweetness. The finish and aftertaste are on the sour side, but don't linger for too long.

M: Good carbonation throughout, supporting the flavors without masking them.

O: I was expecting a double, and got something completely different. That being said, it was fairly tasty, but I think it would have been a much more interesting brew had the wine barrels not dominated quite as much. As is, this beer exhibits little to no similarities with the regular Cuvee Angelique, and reminded me of an oud bruin.

I'm giving it a 3.5 overall because it was enjoyable, but I can't give it high marks for most of the categories because it's not to style.

Cuvee Angelique-Zymatore from KleinBrouwerij De Glazen Toren
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.