Double IPA - Upstream Brewing Company - Old Market

Double IPA
No picture uploaded.

Upstream Brewing Company - Old Market visit their website
Nebraska, United States

(Beer added by: bditty187 on 08-03-2004)
Reviews by hanco005:
hanco005

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Served on tap at the brew pub, in a pint glass

A—amber and clear, some hints of ruby, with a thin wispy head that is gone almost immediately after it is set down in front of me, a few bubbles float up from the top, lacing is thick and looks like sea foam

S—pine, citrus, grapefruit, and perfume all blend together in the nose, just a hint of candy sweetness follows

T—not a strong as I expected a Double IPA to be, but very good, the pine and grapefruit are coming out strongest, the sweetness is very mild, I like it.

M—smooth, medium bodied, good carbonation

D—good, not a what I think of in a double ipa, but it’s good. This and the ESB are the best ones I’ve had here.

11-03-2006 15:19:49 | More by hanco005
bditty187

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

Please note: The “beer board” at the Downtown location still says “IPA,” well that beer doesn’t exist anymore. If you order and IPA you will be served this beer, a Double IPA.

Dark gold, coppery-amber in hue, there is a modest amount of animation especially considering it is served in a pint glass. The head was slightly off-white in color. Head retention was good, it started with a finger of foam and a half finger lasted almost the whole consumption. There is tons of subsequent lacing; it looked like tattered wallpaper by the end of the glass. Overall, this beer looks great!

The nose starts hoppy with a piney-citrusy combo; there are hints of flowers and wood too. The nose doesn’t scream “hop bomb” but I clearly get the point. The malt supplies a toasty caramel backdrop. Plus the yeast offers a tickle of spice and a smidgen of fruitiness. Moderate potency. It is articulate though. Inviting… but it is not a true Double.

The palate, while tasty, is not a DIPA. Sure the abv is high, sure the hops are present and accounted for but they are not assertive enough for me. There is enough hop depth and there are plenty of flavors like wood, flowers, pine needles, spruce bark, and citrus fruit. The yeast offers some cherries and a hint of random spice. Toasty caramel is the only contribution from the malt aside from some light sweetness. The alcohol is well hidden. This is my favorite everyday beer from Upstream but they seem to tinker with the hops too often. Sometimes the palate is a “3.5” and sometimes it is a “4.5.” I’ve had this beer a million times before I sat down to review this offering. What a slacker I am. The aftertaste is long and bitter with caramel in the mix, flowery. This beer works well with the BBQ chicken pizza or fish-n-chips.

Medium in body, natural but moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is very fitting. It is maybe a tickle too thin but it works.

It is very drinkable. I “session” with it often… no driving after that! Solid… but I’ve come to expect there is no “smack you in the face bitterness.” Tasty. Worth a try, for sure.

05-12-2005 13:38:57 | More by bditty187
hoffman

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured up nice and held head from the bar to my table. A deep honey gold almost amber color...the beer looks damn good in the glass. The smell is piney with some light fruit and grain in the background. Again pretty decent, at this point I was excited for a taste. The flavor did not let me down, but it was not what I had hoped for. A bit bland up front leading into some sugary sweets in the middle with a quasi oily hop kick that does finish nicely. The lack of flavor on the front end mixed with a mouthfeel that is a bit watery take the beer down a couple pegs in my book. Overall a nice quaffer....probably one of the best every day beers available at the Upstream.

Sampled at Legacy local.

07-11-2006 01:58:34 | More by hoffman
sweethome

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

As a forward - I first rated as an IPA - their board listed as IPA, which is what I ordered. After it was 1/2 down, I asked my bartender when the double IPA would be on and he said this was it. 6.8% abv.

This is a good IPA, but no way is it a double IPA. The bitterness is ther for double IPA, but alcohol level and body is not.

Dark golden color. Fair white head, nice lacing. Nose is grassy, but a bit limited for style.

Mouthfeel is not as full as I would hope (again, rating as IPA), a bit watery. Nice grapefuit and grassy flavors. Intense bittering as it moves through the palate. Great hoppy flavors.

I like this beer very much, but it is an IPA...not a double. I hate to be negative, this is one fine beer to be found in a beer lacking city of Omaha.

04-26-2005 03:08:39 | More by sweethome
neonbrown82

3.83/5  rDev -2%

For a DIPA, this was a bit disappointing. For an IPA, it still wasn't among the best I've had, but was also far from the worst. The appearance was a very clean and clear light amber color with a paper thin head. I was looking for something maybe a bit "dirtier" looking than this in a DIPA.

The smell showed off some of the hop bouqet, which I might add was not very IPA-ish. The hop varietals seemed to be more what I would expect to see in something such as a czech pilsner. A tiny bit of malty sweetness backs up the hop aroma. Perhaps if the beer was poured with more of a head (or slightly warmer) the aromas would have opened up a bit more.

The taste was good, but as I said, seems to be lacking the D of the DIPA. I couldn't decide if it was an off-flavor or not, but the hops were very un-traditional I thought. It tasted very similar to light struck hop skunk, which was odd considering it likely hasn't seen light since it was brewed. This taste was quite subdued, however, and didn't ruin the experience for me.

The mouthfeel was a bit light, and the alcohol well hidden amongst the hops. I might drink another in the future, but not before trying several other brews offered by the brewpub.

05-28-2005 00:56:01 | More by neonbrown82
RBorsato

4.83/5  rDev +23.5%

Tasted on-tap 11/06/06 at Upstream brewpub in Omaha, NE.

Dark gold in color with a solid off-white head that leaves sticky lace. Huge hoppy grapefruit aroma and flavor. Medium-full bodied, smooth and creamy with a big bitter grapefruit finish.

A very nice citrusy Cascade hop (?) American IPA -- not a Double IPA as stated.

Per UBC website: 6.3% ABV. "The “Double” refers
to the beer’s huge hop character and malt base"

12-01-2006 19:50:41 | More by RBorsato
TheLongBeachBum

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

Presentation: Sampled during a visit to the Upstream Brewing Company, Omaha on 24th August 2004. Served on draft, in a pint Glass. Not on the main board, but listed on the Menu, so I decided to bypass the IPA and head straight for this one.

Appearance: Like the IPA, but a tad darker, the Double-IPA has a glowing sunset-orange body with some coppery-red tints. Nice thick dirty-white head with good staying power.

Nose: Grass stains and pungent hoppiness set into some orange peel and spices, coriander maybes? Yeasty whiffs at times, but overall a delightful hoppy aroma that invites, invites, invites….Hmmm, damn this smells good, and has a deeply inhalable (yes I just made that word up) nose.

Taste: Nice layered biscuit malts with a light caramel feel give backbone to this brew and distract the imbiber from the hops for a short time. However, the hops soon break through as you knew they would. Fruity hops in the middle, mixed with orange and a spicy feel. Bitterness in the finish is great. Lingering ending that is lipsmacking.

Mouthfeel: Relaxed feel in the mouth, traces of carbonation fight the heavier slick hop oil feeling from the bulk of this one. Whilst it may not be that much stronger that the IPA, it is my much heavier.

Drinkability: The third of the night, and after my Fish and Chips, I got to concentrate on this a bit more. A decent enough D-IPA, but it is not a session brew by any stretch, I could start to feel the rasping bitterness coats my cheeks after only half a Pint, and whilst I like this, it could detract from the long term attractiveness for some. Still, I would have another of these though ;-)

Overall: Yet again, another beer that I thoroughly enjoyed Upstream. I don’t recall seeing the strength listed anywhere. Not quite the usual Double-IPA that I come across in Southern California, but a damn good tasty brew that Hop-heads will still enjoy. Every time I get back to Upstream I am more impressed by their portfolio and quality.

08-30-2004 00:22:34 | More by TheLongBeachBum
BretSikkink

Mexico

Enjoyed cask-conditioned at the restaurant.

I remember not immediately shining to the IPA, although that may be a case of evolving tastes, but I hadn't had it in possibly a year. It's an almost clear copper orange brew, nice off white head takes on a light brown hue. The aroma is slightly floral but not very bold. Hops crackle through this brew at room temperature, good flavors and viscous complexity. This is not an overwhelming double IPA, there is a big caramel malt and good hop kick, but at 6.8% I'll just call this a really nice IPA.

04-12-2007 20:20:47 | More by BretSikkink
Fugazme

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

So after work I was heading home and then decided to turn around after remembering the only thing in my fridge was a sixer of Sam Adams Summer Ale... not in the mood for that tonight...

I went to the Upstream and asked for a growler of Double IPA...

Not bad... I do like it. So here goes:

This beer poured very, very nicely... wonderful bright, white head and excellent lacing throughout the drink. Looks a deep amber/gold and a touch of cloudiness.

First whiff was hoppy but a touch sour. Picking up hints of ditchweed... totally marijuana. A tad off-putting, but not on a threatening level.
Second whiff had more hops and a little orange in it... maybe evergreen.

Taste is pretty good. Not nearly as hoppy as I had expected, but decent. A little "tinny" on the back-end. Not unbearable. Finish is acidic, but nice.

08-16-2005 04:36:32 | More by Fugazme
joe1510

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

64oz Growler
$11.00
Upstream

Upstream's "Double" IPA pours a deep clear golden wit ha noticeable lack of carbonation bubbles. Although there's not much carbonation to be seen a two finger craggy white head formed on the pour and left thin drink lines as it fell to a thin cap. A good looking beer.

There's a bit of a citric hoppiness that leans toward orange but the hoppiness most noticeable leans toward the earthy side. There's even a vinous character that's pretty unique although not that great. The malt backbone comes across as biscuity and cake like. Not a bad smelling IPA and it certainly gets better as it warms. A hint of alcohol wafts in and out.

Flavor is different then the nose suggested. The malt presence is there and lays a solid foundation but the hops squeak out the malt. Biscuity dry and a slightly sweet cake like maltiness kick things off. Mild orange comes through. It's the dominant hop flavor but is in control and enjoyable. I'm having a hard time picking out the other citrus but I'm going to say under ripe pineapple that lends a little earthiness to the taste. The more I drink the more I like.

A moderate body shows a nice silky airiness from the mellow carbonation. The alcohol lends dryness to the finish that accentuates the bitterness that grows as I drink.

An easy drinking IPA. A few pints can be put away without a problem and I will enjoy every one of them.

My first beer from Upstream. I wasn't too fond of this "Double" IPA at first sip but it grew on me until I started to really enjoy it.

05-31-2008 03:38:28 | More by joe1510
Boto

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev -13%

Draught at the Brewery: This beer pours a clear, dark golden color, with a twinge of orange also. It had a minimal white head with a fair amount of lacing. The aroma is not as strong as one would expect from a Double IPA. there is somewhat of a citrus nose with some grassiness. The taste is dry and bitter with a hint of citrus. It is really in between a regular and double IPA.

03-15-2005 20:45:14 | More by Boto