Casey Jones Imperial IPA - Iron Springs Pub & Brewery

good

Iron Springs Pub & Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: flexabull on 05-13-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast

Purchased from the brewpub on 05.27.10, 22oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Blood orange/amber in color and quite opaque. 2 fingers of fluffy white head- nice to admire. Striking aroma of pink grapefruit, peach, granny smith apple and white pepper. Fragrant pink grapefruit up front with a subtle smack of pine. Light sourdough bready malt, but the hops truly shine here. Chalky hop mouthfeel, tart orange rind yet creamy with some tropical hop flavor coming through. Piney bitterness in the back, pronounced and long lasting. Great lacing in the glass with a white ring staying on throughout. A noticeable twinge of 9% in the middle to back...a true palate coater. Very enjoyable and glad I stopped into the pub. (716 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A little darker than expected, runs the gamut of amber to light brown almost. Great hop aroma. Was getting excited at this point.

Taste, on a non biased palate (I had a few before this one), cut right through. Good hopping, good bitterness. This is a bigger beer than the innocuous label would lead you to believe (you know, the ones that prominently brag on their ibus & abvs).

Mouthfeel, bitterness and high alpha (acidic?) hops seem to be about all that catches hold, and there is nothing wrong with that. Balance is for amber ales. Some grit to it. $5.99 at Ledger's in Berkeley was well worth it. (603 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -17.5%

Purchased at The Village Market on California and 8th in the Richmond district of San Francisco. I love that little shop!

Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance: Body is hazy/cloudy and deep amber, and turns pale orange when held to light. A white, foamy head formed on top following the pour but immediately dissipated to a hair-thin crown. Very light carbonation can be seen inside. Mild lacing.

Smell: Toasted bread crust, caramel, and resinous hops. Alcohol peaks through when I dig deeper, but big grapefruit and honeydew play much larger roles. Nice amount of sweetness. More complexity would be nice.

Taste: Very similar to smell, but with added bitterness. Toasted bread crust greets the palate, sweet pine resin follows, then lemon, grapefruit, and bitter, earthy hops. That earthy bitterness is pungent too, and lingers deep into the aftertaste. Still, there's nothing really noteworthy about this imperial IPA. Really, really, bitter and that's about it.

Mouthfeel: Malty, a touch heavy, warm, and dry. Bitterness clings to the palate. Feels kind of muddled/messy. Still not bad. Carbonation is soft and well-suited for the style.

Drinkability: While I didn't mind the strong bitterness at first, it just got in the way after awhile. It totally dominated the palate, blotting out all of the other flavors. If you're a hop fanatic, this one might be okay; otherwise, don't expect much. (1,407 characters)

3.72/5  rDev 0%

22 oz bottle from City Beer Store SFO packed in luggage back to Oregon, poured in Barley Brown's pint glass, 4/6/10.

One finger white head, medium dissipation, minimal lacing. Copper amber body a bit opaque, presumed unfiltered, not visible carbonation. The nose is caramel malt dominated up front, firm hop presence in the middle, more piney than citrusy. Taste is pretty bitter up front, piney, a little bit of sweetness in the middle, very bitter backend, IMO not very well balanced. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky, medium bodied and minimal effervescence. Fairly drinkable for high ABV. I thought this DIPA, while certainly a quality offering from an up and coming brewery, lacked balance of other West Coast DIPAs. Worth a try for hopheads. (741 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%

Anxious to try this I have passed by it many times and the dog on the label looks like a distant cousin of my dog. +1 for that.

Snifter pour and I am met with a bronze/amber colored ale with a one finger beige head with major lacing and staying power. The aroma consists of a lot of malt with some underlining tangerine and orange whiffs. Major malt in the taste with a biscuit aftertaste. If you're looking for a "malt bomb" this may be it. There is also a bitter grapefruit taste after the swallow. Two things going on at once. This bomber states it's 9%, but it is extremely easy to drink if you like the rather "different" Imperial IPA feel. I was looking for more of a grapefruit zing but this took me down the malty highway.

Overall I must say I love the label and give props to the local Bay Area Iron Springs crew. Not the greatest Imperial IPA out there, but well worth giving it a shot. (898 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Found this as an extra in a box sent by somabeer. It's always fun to try something new, that you have never heard of.

Smooth and simple pour to a pint glass. At once my glass is topped with an off-white, thin head layer. Not visibly heavy on carbonation. Rich orange/amber, almost mud/clay colored when held to light.

The nose is of the usual hop aromas, along the lines of sublte citrus and faint cantaloupe. However, I don't find the hops to be as pungent as I have become acustomed to my IPAs being.

Taste is of strong malt presence with a well-balanced and interwoven hop flavor. A slight chalkiness lingers on my palate after a few sips.

Without having read the bottle, I wouldn't know from taste or smell this brewery is in California, just based on this lackluster IIPA. I don't know how fresh, or not fresh, the bottle is, so it is unfair for me to say that I don't like this beer, but I don't like it enough to rave about it. I do like it enough to try it again later. Having said that, it is still a decent IIPA and I was happy to have had the chance to try it. (1,077 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance>Dark golden. Murky, lively, no lacing, not much head to speak of.

Smell> wet hops. very nice.

Taste> Nice double. Two punches of hops and nice complexity. A soft, yet still resiny hang.

Mouf> Almost gritty, dirty. thick

Drinkability> I can get past the mouthfeel. It smells great and is refreshing while it is cold (344 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Paid $6.99 for a bomber from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, CA. Poured into a large snifter to review. This is the third bomber of this I've had; I keep going back for more.

White head that is tightly knit and about an inch in height. Glowing ruby-orange in color. A very thin layer of retention and nice lacing.

Certainly on the balanced side for its style yet is still quite interesting and stimulating to me which is contrary to my normal taste. Hops are dank and floral, almost to the point of being perfumy. Strong malt backing. Unique and enjoyable.

Taste is even more balanced. Right down the middle in fact.

Mouth is thick and creamy with a medium-long finish of dank hops. Nice carbonation. Good drinkability.

A good DIPA from this newer/smaller brewer that I'd recommend to try. To me, I'd put it right up there with 90 Minute in the class of balanced DIPAs. (876 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle courtesy of Exiled.

Pours orange-amber with a white head. The aroma is extremely hoppy with some pineapple and cat pea notes to it. Very pungent. The flavor is similar with a lot of bitterness. Lots of hop flavor but it is kind of muddled and I can't really pick out anything particular. Medium mouthfeel. (313 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -36%

22oz. bomber brought back from a summer trip to Cali. Shared on 7/28/09 with BAs Deuane, FooFaa and SierraGS.

A - Poured a hazy deep orange/copper-colored body with a limited head that receded to a thin ring and spotty lace.

S - Rich and syrupy aroma with heaps of caramel malt and toffee candy notes. Hops seem to be buried underneath a pile of malt. There is also a slight cookie dough malt character as well as some floral hop notes in the background.

T - Thick and rich, and way too sweet and malty for a DIPA, with an inordinant amount of burnt caramel and sugary malt. Hop profile is really cluttered and muddy, with perhaps a scant burnt earthy hop character and that's about it.

M - Thick and syrupy, yet very smooth and slick with soft carbonation. Finishes with a lingering burnt astringent bitterness on the palate.

D - I like this beer about as much as the song after which it is named. Of course, that's not saying a lot, because I hate the Grateful Dead! Disappointing to say the least. (1,007 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -16.1%

Got this in a great trade with colonelforbin. Looks like an interesting beer, and makes me want to watch Ninja Turtles.

A: Pours a nice thick 2 finger head with many big bubbles that slowly fades. A pretty clear copper color reveals many rising bubbles.

N: Grassy earthy noble style hops barrage the nose. Lots of pineapple, grapefruit, and citrus also accompany them on the hops side. A very slight crystal malt aroma beds by in the background. It adds a slight chewy hop aroma that gives the impression of chewy hops to come. It also has a very slight bready aroma and almost fruit juice.

T: Taste starts with more bitter hops. Teh bitterness hits quickly, giving the Imperial IPA a strong label. It comes with some pine and citrus, but a lot less of the fruit, grapefruit, and pineapple as the aroma had. Mostly just lots of bitter tastes. Some light crystal malt tries to come through. The acidity is pretty high as well. This feels like chewing on raw hops, with hop oils and extract flavors coming through as well. This tries to call itself well balanced, but I say well balanced my ass... it's all pure bitterness and hop extract, not even much for hop flavor. They had a nice aroma for it but the taste is nowhere to be found.

M: Decent body and carbonation, somewhat chewy, high acidity and almost a 3rd degree burn in bitterness.

F: Again pure raw bitterness, although once the swallow is gone it seems to drop by a factor of 10 million, but then starts to rise back again by another 7 million. I've had Lagunitas Hop Stupid plenty of times and calling this one balanced over that is like calling Casey Jone's cocaine addiction while driving his train safe. A very long bitterness just overpowers almost any other flavor that tries to come out, and takes scores of minutes to fade (I've been waiting to say scores in a review for a while now). It's something to try, but very hard to swallow. I would only recommend trying when you can split the bomber with 3-4 other people at least. I just have to say that this is a west coast style Imperial IPA taken too far. (2,078 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at Iron springs last weekend but this review is from one of the bombers I brought back home with me.

A- Pours nice and smooth with a dark amber tint to it, very thick and hazey a creamy white head that stuck around for most of the beer and laceing from "hip to heel" Very nice

S- Lets just say one word HOPS

T- First and formost I get hops, I do get a little citrus backing to but not much. The hops come marching on through this is a true hop bomb

M- Thick and creamy with just the right amount of carbonation leaves your mouth with a nice bitter hop bite GREAT FINISH

D- If your at home two bombers of this is a great way to cap off your night Now if your chilling at Iron springs you could get in to trouble with this one it goes down way to easy when your sitting there enjoying the great vibe of this place. I love this brew / brewery thanks for putting this one out Michael/Iron Springs (915 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

Cask, dry hopped with cascade on the hand pump at Toronado.

A: Hazy orange-amber body. Moderate off-white cap. Decent retention and spotty lacing.

S: Muddled grapefruit and orange struggles to make an impression over the musty malt background.

T: Unfortunately, the flavor was the same as the nose. Muddled, bitter hops with the grapefruit, orange, and light floral notes being lost in the malt.

M: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Good finish.

D: The taste just doesn't work for me. (492 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Figured i'd give them a try since they be local and all...

Pours a giant A-bomb mushroom white head. Orange carmely look to it...

Mostly big hops with a malt smell lingering in there.

Piney hop taste with some underlieing sweetness, very bitter.

As someone else wrote "I reviewed this beer to show I don't only review just good beers" (338 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

-theres a burnt caramel look without any head. some nice floaties though!

-some floral hops in there with a little bit of fruit...maybe some orange

-subtle hops at first, then it really explodes and sits in your mouth. all you can get from it really, but it is a nice burst

-really smooth without much carb...may have sat too long

-really drinkable for a DIPA with a solid burp (381 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -40.1%

Well, this is a momentous brew, it has been chosen to be my 1,000th review. The reason I picked this one was to prove that I don't only review "good" beers! Thanks to ffejherb for hauling this one back from Cali. Also shared with FooFaa and Sierrags.

A-Deep, dark copper color with a significant amount of haze. A medium off white head reduces to a thin ring and left spotty lacing.

S-A boatload of sweet caramel malt with a healthy backing of spicy, peppery hops.

T-WTF! From the initial sip I am not impressed. This has got to be one of the maltiest and bitter/astringent brews I have ever had. The first touch on the palate isn't too bad...but then comes the swallow....UGH...horrible.

M-Medium-heavy and a syrupy mess. Not good at all! LONG lasting, but unpleasant, hop bitterness.

D-I did not dig this brew at all! Between the 4 of us sharing this bomber, and all of us LOVE hoppy brews, we ALL drain poured our portions. I am not sure if this beer is supposed to be like this or not. Did we get an old bottle? Was this one simply bad? Or,is this really supposed to be this massively unbalanced? I would like to try it fresh on tap some day to find out. (1,164 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

22oz bottle split with a friend. Got from mjl21...aka Mike. Thanks for everything like usual of course!

A- Poured a deep dark amber color. Tons of haze in this beer. Good 1 1/2 inch off white head. Left good amounts of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Huge piney smell. Uhm...I mean huge huge pine hop smell. Citrus hops come out a little as well. No malt backbone whatever to speak of. This makes my mouth water with the hop presence.

T- Well a slight citrus hop front followed by a massive bitter hop explosion that takes up the rest of the beer. Pretty much a one trick pony with this beer. I like bitter DIPA's so this is amazing to me.

M- This is a medium heavy beer. Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation was perfect with the beer smoothly walks over your palate leaving a huge bitter hoppy resin coating the tounge.

D- This was a good beer that if I could I would have again and again. Mike hooked me up with yet another beer that I can't get enought of. I will look at getting this in a trade again for sure. (1,026 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

Review #700! On tap at Toronado SF. Poured into a pint glass. Orange-goldenrod color with a creamy ecru head that lasts for a while. Aroma is hugely hoppy, with tons of resinous unripe grapefruit drupelets and no malt to speak of. Flavor is similar, very dry and resinous with pine and citrus zest coating the tongue. Insanely herbal and bitter, easily the bitterest beer I've ever had. Pure hop juice. Zero malt. Finish is very dry and lingers for a while. Medium body and good drinkability if you're a hop addict. Epic beer. (526 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +14%

I don't usually use the terms "unbalanced" or "over-hopped," and those terms are not necessarily criticisms, but this beer is nearly a hop tea. I like hops and I certainly like this beer, but I'm not sure that I will be able to taste anything for a week. The beer pours a solid, darkened amber, and the head leaves good lacing. The aroma is very strong and excellent. The beer smells like a handful of crushed hops. There are floral, citric and pine notes. While adding this much hops made for a great aroma, they just overwhelm the taste. I like hops and like the flavor, but you can't quite taste everything without more malt. The beer is quite bitter, so the feel suffers somewhat but the oiliness of the hops is still enjoyable. Drinkability is good, but switching to anything but a DIPA would be impossible after a glass of this beer. (839 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the brewpub. Poured into a pint glass. Comes in at 9.3%.

A-Pours an extremely cloudy amber with a nice 1.5 finger head that stays. Crazy amounts of lacing are left on the glass.

S-Citrus and pine. Hugely hop forward. You know what is about to come.

T-Massively hop forward. A minor sweetness on the tongue and then the bitterness hits the back. Maybe the most bitter DIPA I have come across.

M-Thick, creamy, with boatloads of bitterness.

D-Can admire it for being so hop forward, but as much as it pains me to say, it needs a little more malt for balance.

A DIPA that really is for the true hop-head. As mentioned, a little more malt would go a long way. (671 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -18.8%

On tap at Iron Springs Fairfax, CA

A- Hazy orange with fluffy white head really nice lacing.

S- Hops and a lot of them!

T- This is where the beer begins its downward spiral for me. This beer is extremely bitter - it has a medicinal aspirin taste to it. This becomes somewhat subdued as it warms.

M - Good amount of carbonation isn't very thick for an I2PA

D - If it wasn't for the aspirin taste this would be great considering the mouthfeel. (446 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +22.3%

Had on tap @ toranado yesterday. All I can say is that this is my new favorite i2pa! Read other reviews and can't believe heads are complaning about "too much hops"?!?! Weak sticks...anyway....

A: Super hazy burnt orange. No head. No lacing.

S: Hop bomb. No malt will ye find here.

T: I know a beer exists entitled hop juice, however; I think this one should lay clam to that title. This beer just whacks you in the face with hop goodness! The hippies at Iron Springs must not have heard about any shortage or rise in price.

M: Sticky and Bitter. Friggin' great IMO.

D: I got a growler today since their only 10min from my spot up north. I'll make a dent in it tonight, but this beer gets you trashed pretty handily! The hippies at the brewery are soo cool. This is my new favriote brewery.Bye Marin Brew Co.(except when the white knuckle's on deck), Bye Moylan's(your hopsickle's been outdone). Prices,beer,food,people they're all spot-on!

p.s. old hippies rule!!! (971 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -5.6%

On Tap @ City Beer Store

A - Pours a cloudy, dark orange, with an orange-white head, and dissipates fast.

S - Flowers and pine, with a light malt of backing.

T - Pine, citrus, grass, light malts, and just a plethora of earthy hops.

M - Very dry mouthfeel with a lot of earthy resin.

D - On the plus side, there is no taste of alcohol. However, the alcohol may be masked by the pungevity of the earthy hops. Really too much bittering hops in this recipe. (458 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

On tap at Toronado.

Appearance: Clearish amber with a thin white head.

Smell: Intensely resiny hops, no real malt presence here, just hops. I'm all for intensely hoppy DIPAs but this one seems a bit one-dimensional.

Taste & mouthfeel: Resiny, slightly grassy hop flavors up-front quickly followed by a palate-annihilating bitterness. Malt is non-existent. In fact, after a few sips, you can't really taste anything other than the bittering hops, which are hilariously relentless. Hands down this is the most bitter DIPA I've ever tasted, well past the point of balance and really just undrinkable. (600 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at Barclay's on College in Oakland. Pours a beautiful dark amber with burnt orange highlights. Dense head with great retention. Aromas are lightly grainy and with citrusy hops. Surprisingly light smells. The taste is also surprisingly light for the style. Quite soft up front, not sweet, and the hops sneak up on you. The hops are bitter, earthy, and taste mostly of grapefruit pith. Mouthfeel as well is a little thin. I was a little disappointed in this- after having several of their other hoppy beers I thought this would be their best- it wasn't. (567 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast