Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315
to view more.
Ratings: 719 | Reviews: 326
Reviews by EdwardFortyHands:
3.7/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Great retro can served up at Old Fashioned in Madison, WI. Appearance is what it is – clear gold, lots of bubbles, almost no head, just a touch of skim. Aroma is corn, sweet malt, and a pinch or two of hops. Clean. Flavor is perfectly balanced macro lager. Hop bitterness and corn syrup sweetness match each other perfectly. Body is light and not overly sweet. Moderately crisp and partially dry finish. Extremely drinkable. A great beer…almost as good as, and very similar to, PBR.

2.35/5  rDev -19%

I'm typing this review from notes, and I don't remember why I wrote this exactly, but the first words are "Smells- grassy hop and sulpher (more like farts and poo)" Hmmm.. Its possible I was just in a beligerent mood but I obviously did not find the smell appealing. I do remember why I did not like the appearance, it had no head and was seriously the color of pale, dirty water (these beers really are best from the can).

I have to say the taste actually pleasantly surprised me. It starts with a nice, sweet, bready grain, just a hint of rice astringency and alcohol before Schlitz actually delivers on its "kiss of the hops" slogan and adds a pleasant grassiness to a sweet aftertaste. Mouthfeel is midwieght, a little strupy, and dead save some grain astringency. I would be very interested in having this fresh on tap, where some of the issues might be resolved.

2.5/5  rDev -13.8%

I couldnt resist and have to do a Schlitz review. I mean, how you gonna run a succesful establishment, if you aint got no Schlitz malt liquor. Pale, pale, straw/piss yellow, bubbly bleach white head. dissipates, no retention or stick. hardly any nose, cheap grain, sugar. tastes pretty much the same. surprisingly sweet and not surprisingly dull. Just the kiss of hops is right. Sublte hop bitter on the finish tries to leave dry but sugar sticks around. Drinkable in the sense that its not offensive at all, but not drinkable in that its totally boring. Better than BMC but still whats the point of this. Got this can for free and couldnt resist crackin it as I wait for my pizza. Its iconic thats for damn sure, and I'd rather see people with a tall boy can in their hand than BMC any day. So rock on Schlitz with your mediocrity! You love it and we love you for it.

3.28/5  rDev +13.1%

What we have here is a beer that is about as good as Pabst blue ribbon.

A- Typical straw yellow fluid with a fluffy foam head that stays around for a minute. Very bubbly.

S- Light corn and yeast with a very small amount of hops are there...barely.

T- Is a smooth and decent flavor beer. I notice a corn taste in the begining on to a barley hop with mild betterness finish.

M-D- Very easy on the mouth with little offensive flavor makes this beer worth trying... more than one!

2.83/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz can poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a light golden color that is a bit darker than the usual BMC beer. A very grainy and slightly sweet malty aroma. The taste is light and crisp with a strong corn flavor. A dry finish with a metallic aftertaste (but not too unpleasant).

Overall this is a surprisingly smooth beer. I would definitely drink this over a huge macro any day.

3.48/5  rDev +20%

It's hard to knock such a classic piece of American beer history. Sure it's not the best but I still love it's easy drinkability and touch of hops and sweetness.

$2 a pint down at one of my locals. Gotta love that!

3.28/5  rDev +13.1%

In can as it is on tap - basic drinkable beer, a cut above the advertised brands especially in hop character. $2.69 a six pack. Such a deal!!

No idea about the color, as it went from can to mouth on the express train. Smelled like canned beer, meaning that the DMS and malt graininess were accompanied by that can smell. Flavor-wise, it's as it is in bottle - a malty graininess, hints of cooked corn, and a mild hop bitterness that lasts until the end - with the usual and unfortunate addition of that aluminum can flavor. Eminently poundable. If you have the opportunity, buy the bottled version - unfortunately, bottles don't work too well at a speedway.

3.75/5  rDev +29.3%

16 oz can with no freshness date to be found. “Just a kiss of the hops” and “The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous” on the can.

Appearance: There is some decent lace that formed after the initial rush of foam.

Smell: Thick harshness of corn and hop, other than that no much else in the semi-clean aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Very crisp light body, brash hop bitterness (Cluster?). The graininess takes a bite into the palate, some astringency in the back. Light on the malt with some alcohol in the middle. Clean and dry with a grainy in the finish.

Notes: Hands down this is my choice cheap lager, its right up there with PBR. This beer is served cheap at “real” bars and there is a bigger following for this brand than you think. Once the warm weather hits Schlitz and others like it will be on my mind.

2.53/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I admit, this beer takes me back to the 70's. "Just the kiss of the hops" and all that. This poured like an American macro lager, but with a drier head than others. Taste is of malted grains, corn in particular, with a very sweet mouthfeel. Hops are there, to be sure, but weak and unimpressive. The taste is in the malt, where you get a raw, grit-like character. A metalic taste is also present. I will try this in bottles next time.

3.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a filtered, barely golden color with a white head that leaves no lacing. It almost has no color to it. Grainy and has a little floral hoppiness to it. Taste is grainy with an alcohol taste in the middle and a mix of hops and sweetness in the finish. Pretty light body, highly carbonated pretty smooth going down. Pretty decent beer for the price. More flavor than most others in the style.

1.97/5  rDev -32.1%

Good stuff for feeling low class. Yellow pour with white fuzz on top. Smells and tastes the same: watery, corny, and sweet, with the phantom of hops. For a super-low class beverage, this really wasn't as bad as the rap it gets. At least this one doesn't leave a terrible aftertaste in your mouth.

2.32/5  rDev -20%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

There is nothing special about this beer. Light hops, with a slightly dirty grain taste.

3.73/5  rDev +28.6%

As one friend of mine noted, this is a real man's beer. Not so sure what that means, but for what it is, I have to say that I like it. $5.49 for a 12 pack definitely puts it at the low end price-wise, and compared to most American macros, it's got some character. It pours deep golden with a nice thick head that leaves notable lacing around the glass (go with a chilled pilsner glass over a mug). The taste is clean, crisp, slightly sweet, and the "kiss of the hops" is definitely there.

Beer snobs, yuppies and their larvae will continue to put this down, but I like it. This is a beer that manages to taste good without breaking the bank, which makes it the epitome of the working man's brew. It's what I plan on drinking once I get home tonight, and I wish more places would carry it locally.

2.95/5  rDev +1.7%

Lots of carbonation and clarity. Standard looking macro stuff. Aroma was that of industrial activity. Metal hydraulic fluid and corn.

Taste, a neat fruity retro yearst feel. Gentle, easy going. A palate washer. Feels authentic, like what you'd drink if you were in Cudahy right now. As you get the feel of it more, there's not a ton of hop character, just lots of carbonation. Even though the price went up with their new-retro (oh no, a misnomer like black ipa!) marketing campaign, its still cheaper than the other adjuncts out there.

2.9/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours to a clear straw or yellow color with basically a no existent head. Lots of carbination bubbles!

The smell of sweet malts and hops is apparent.

Can definately taste the hops and some sort of grain.

A light bodied beer with a good amount of carbination!

Considering the price I would say if you are looking for something to drink at that price point and that style of beer go for it one of the better beers.

1.21/5  rDev -58.3%

It hurts me to give my lowest rating to a beer I grew up with.
I debated whether to post at all- what I sampled is a beer gone bad. Although it had 2 months left to pull date and was in a cooler.

Here goes:
Poured nicely, white head falls rapidly, very thin yellow color.

The aroma was my tip off- the smell was akin to soggy cardboard.
I went ahead and tasted- chewy cardboard.

I try all kinds of beer- rarely do I pour out a beer. I dumped this one.

My expectation wasn't high ... despite my nostalgia for $1.25 pitchers of Schlitz in Milwaukee in the late '70's. However, this stuff was wrong. I have to believe that based on other folks ratings I just got stuck. Oh, well just a $2.99 six pack and I still have 5 display cans!

Joseph Schlitz would be disgusted to know how things have changed.

2.12/5  rDev -26.9%

A - I dig the old-school can....it looks like it would be at home in any bowling alley or dive bar, and it sort of reminds me of those light trucker jackets that Teamsters wear. This one is pale gold and crystal clear with a two finger head of white bubbles that dissipate rather quickly, but shows pretty good retention considering the style and the cost. Surveying the room through a glass of Schlitz is like wearing Blu-Blocker aviator glasses, and adds a bit of sunshine to your day. How perky.

S - Sweet corn with a touch of butter. A hint of green plant life really adds to the Midwest cornfield aroma, and I think the greenness is a result of a light "kiss of hops."

T - Again, emphasis on the sweet canned corn and butter. This is really putting me in the mood to attend one of the numerous summertime "sweetcorn festivals" that every little town in Central Illinois holds each summer.

M - Light bodied and blissfully moderately carbonated (most other macro lagers are WAY overcarbonated), the finish is neutral with a light buttered popcorn aftertaste. Not like butter-dripping movie popcorn, but like healthy butter flavored microwave stuff.

D - A damn drinkable, if a bit underflavored beer. I like the corn and butter combo, but the neutral finish is damn near flavorless (a bad thing IMO). After finishing the glass, I can detect a slight soapiness that just drove the score down a notch or two. Not bad for what it is.

I needed something to wash my mouth out after trying Sprecher's drain-pour darling "Mbege African Fire Brewed Ale," and I though that this would do the job nicely. It has succeeded with aplomb, and then some!

3.72/5  rDev +28.3%

Ok, it is what it is, a Macro lager, so let's not be compairing it to Micro's.

S - As another BA said it has the aroma of grains and green apples, actually alot better than any Macro swill I can think of, maybe even a bit better than PBR.

T - Very firm maltiness / grain flavor, not at all as soft as PBR or the other Macro's. With a very nice dose of green apple sourness and a nice little hop finish that actually linger's on for quite a bit. Very suprising actually. They seem to get better with each passing can. Very easy to drink.

I recently tasted the 1960 recipe bottles that are being tested in our Chicago market. Had one back to back with a TWO BROTHERS Dog Day's lager that was served on tap, and the Schlitz was in the bottle and the Schlitz tasted great. My friend's who are Beer geek's / homebrewers as well gave it the thumb's up to. Try it if you get a chance, much better than the can's,however even the current Schlitz can recipe is far superior to any of the american macros in my opinion, and at $3.00 a sixer to boot. Good call when needing to cut back on you're beer expenses.

3.75/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice heavy foam with sticky lacing. Not really that carbonated. Pretty pale golden yellow.

Smell: Mineral water. A very neutral smell. Kind of a nice rustic smell though that I like.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Nice hops taste. That's pretty much it. Nothing incredible, but I do enjoy this. Very refreshing. Mouthfeel is one of the better ones in this style. Many feel pretty watery. This did at first, but finishes better than most.

Drinkability: A very solid American lager.

Overall: Underrated. I wish I could find this more often.

3.42/5  rDev +17.9%

I'm not sure who's brewing this right now, but they're doing a good job. The appearance is good, with a nice golden color, although the head retention is lacking. The aroma is very clean, which is to be expected - but is not always the case! The malt has a very nice, round character and there's even a touch of hops. Although I find the flavor a little sweet, it's balanced - partially by the crispness of the light body and effervescence. Never cloying. A little bit better than your average "premium" American-style lager. In fact, I'd drink this over most of the "super-premium's" (Budweiser, MIller High Life, Coors Original).

3.31/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a pale golden from the can with a light, foamy head that actually sticks around for a while. Nice carbonation. Aroma of adjunct malt. Slightly creamy, mostly foamy mouthfeel is more agreeable from the can than from a glass. Flavor is lightly sweet, and, like the can says, has "just a kiss of hops". Not bad at all for a macro. As almost every other recent reviewer says, I'm pleasantly surprised. At $2.59 for a six-pack, this may compete with PBR as my session beer now.

2.86/5  rDev -1.4%

TALL BOY!!! I saw a six of tall boys standing amongst 12-packs of micro specialty brews and I said...OH Yeah! I gotta have that! Take me back to the 60s BABY....YEAH! Alright I must confess...was born in the 70s....but hey this is not a bad beer. The color was clear golded with a white head. There was no smell other than...SCHILTZ!!!! Taste...c'mon its a standard US macro pilsner/lager type. SESSION....SESSION...You bet your ass. Can drink the F' out of this. A great Saturday or Sunday would be a six of Schiltz and a side of Brats! Stay thirsty my friends!

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

The beer is a definite lawnmower special!I wouldn't think twice to pick up a sixer of cans on a hot day around the house or before heading to the lake.

The color is light golden. very little head present. Taste was light and refreshing. I could drink this one for days.

3.38/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice clear, golden color. The head did not stick around long, but there was some nice lacing.

Crisp and refreshing with some bitterness.
Good carbonation and goes down easy.

A real nioe beer at a good price.

If you are feeling nostalgic, and want something cheap, pick up some Schlitz!

3.17/5  rDev +9.3%

I tried this before the relaunch about a year ago. The smell is the biggest difference. You know that first smell you catch when you just discovered the dog broke wind? That's what I was greeted with when I popped the screw-top off my bottle. I poured it into the glass, the smell remained for a short time, then actually turned to a warm aroma of sweet bread. The carbonation was good and prickly, and the prevailing flavor is sweet, followed by a bitter finish. The lager sweetens as it warms and had a taste of which I wouldn't mind spending the evening. All olfactory discussion aside, this is a beer I definitely wouldn't avoid if the friends or family roll out a cooler of Michelob Golden Light and Bud Light with a few of these mixed in for retro appeal.

P.S. "The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous", now made in Illinois.

to view more.
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)