Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros

I was watching Pawn Stars on the history channel one day and I saw someone bring in a Schlitz lamp. I then researched the beer that was once known as the king of beers. I was from that point on very interested in learning about a beer that had so much history even having never tried it. Finally one day I did some more research online only to find out that a local beer store had Schlitz beer but ONLY in 12 pack cans. Having never tried this beer before I was hesitant to try it at first but from the first step I had found my new favorite beer. I was only sorry that I didn't get to try this beer sooner. Sure the recipe changed during the 1970's and that was their downfall, well at least until they brought back the original 1960's formula. I sure hope that people give this beer a chance because it's the best beer I ever had and it deserves a much, long awaited comeback. (878 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +47%

My second favorite AAL. I can only find it in bottles around my area, I've never seen in cans except for a Meat Loaf concert I went to in Milwaukee. They were serving "Tall Boys." Schlitz and Rock 'n Roll in Milwaukee, what a combination!

Pale yellow, straw color. Mildly carbonated. A very nice head that lasted a while.

Smells malty and hoppy.

Tastes very malty, very dark tasting for it's style. Creamy. Good bitter hops at the end. Mildly carbonated. Crisp, clean finish.

Mildy carbonated, medium weight.

An excellent beer. No surprise that this is "The beer that made Milwaukee famous." (596 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +37.4%

A- Pale yellow body with a nice sized white head.

S- Grainy sweet corn malty biscuits.

T- Very tasty Adjunct Lager all around, great sweet malts with a touch of bitter hops.

M- Clean with a nice burst of refreshing carbonation.

D- This redeems the whole category of American Adjunct Lagers, you can session this drinking can after can watching the game and never get bored of the flavor. (391 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +36.1%

After a decade of mass produced products, I have come to the conclusion that Schlitz is the best sub-premium beer on the market. The sweet taste and the "kiss of the hops" makes it a true, less bitter, American original. It is a complete beer that has a bold, yet easy palpabale aroma. And for the price (9.99 a case) it concludes with the same taste from the first pour to the last swallow. (391 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with an inch thick head that dissipates quickly and leaves a nice lacing.

Smell - Getting a very nice sweetness upfront, kind of lemony. Corn, grains, and pale malts come through as well.

Taste - Sweet with corn, pale malts, grains, and buttery biscuits.

Mouthfeel - Has a medium body with mild carbonation. The carbonation gives it a creamy texture.

Overall - I really liked this beer. It's worth buying it again. (458 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%

Consumed from a can on 2/27/2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Poured from can into pilsener glass.

Appearance: Pale, amber color. The head lasts only about a minute...or two if you're lucky. The color, though itself is pretty regal.

Smell: I am not getting to much from the smell. A little bit of a "hoppy", "soapy", "corny" taste.

Taste: Wow Wow We Wa...yeah. Hey, it's way more than what I thought. A blatant; "F YOU!" to the people who aren't tasting the hops. It's right there, really? What I am not tasting is a shitty, false, malty flavor.

Mouthfeel: very light, with a bubbly carbonation.

Drinkabiliity: I can see why this was so popular "back in the day." Also, I am so glad it's offered today. Sure, I am ONLY judging this off of what it is, not compared to other styles or beers.

Get it, try it, love it.

SCHLITZ GIVES YOU THE SCHLITZ! (841 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +33.9%

Snagged the first case off of the first delivery to BevMo Cypress. Was looking for some Black Butte XXI when I found this to knock off my wants list. $7.99 for a dozen twelve ounce cans.

I like the packaging and can design, it is slightly retro, but not obvious. It pours a nice golden color, satisfyingly golden instead of wimpily straw. The head is white, moderately generous, and slightly fizzy. It is a good looking beer, but suffers from lack of head retention and subsequent lacing.

The aromatics at play, if I may say so, actually display hops. They are mildly bitter and only slightly citrusy, but I have to say one of the best smelling adjunct lagers I have had. There is perhaps a hint of corny grain, but I pick up more good citrus than bad corn. Quite impressive for the style.

Initial taste is mild with a slightly fruity, citrus and apple combined with a pleasant amount of bittering hops. It is light with a crisp bite that is really quite pleasant, it isn't trying to eliminate all the bitterness here so there is actually some nice balance. The only catch is on the midpalate, if I keep it in my mouth it quickly goes downhill and becomes grainy, metallic, and slightly alcoholic on the finish. So just take a swig and swallow and enjoy. This is simple beer I don't need to think about, just drink it like I would anything else and be refreshed.

The beer is medium bodied with medium carbonation. I am appreciative that this thing is not over carbed, as many macro lagers tend to be. Really adds to the drinkability, which is pretty damn high. I have had craft pilseners that I enjoyed less that cost twice as much.

This beer exceeded all of my expectations and is probably my new go-to cheap beer. I am now very interested in trying the 60's Gusto version.

This review is based on the style of American Adjunct Lager. (1,843 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +31%

Appearance -- Poured from can to glass mug. The color is a deep, pure gold. Very effervescent. Head was about a finger and was a bubbly white.

Smell -- Just a little hoppy with sweet malt. It reminds me of a much weaker German pilsner. I know that other have claimed to, but I do not smell any corn adjuncts. Not what I was expecting at all.

Taste -- Like the can says, "Just a Kiss of Hops." There's a little bit of hop bitterness which balances well with the malty sweetness. This is very clean and refreshing. Not at all like a Miller High Life, where the finish is just too sweet.

Every couple of sips I think I taste a corn like sweetness, but this could be my imagination. Not what I was expecting . . . this tastes pretty good.

Mouthfeel -- Just right for the style. Kind of watery, but there is a little gravity here. This is what I'm looking for on an 80+ degree day.

Drinkability -- This one is very sessionable. I never purchase macro beers but for some reason I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to give an American classic a try: I'm glad I did. When you're in the mood give this one a try. Don't automatically write it off as "swill." (1,163 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +31%

This is by far my favorite macro lager. At $5.50 a 12 pack, this brew is just proof that the big three are often more expensive due to their marketing. Schlitz tastes MUCH better than Budweiser, Miller, or Coors, for one reason, it has a taste! And, for anybody that is wondering, I normally drink more flavorful beers.

The beer pours a fairly average looking lager style, with a fair amount of head. It also leaves a fairly good lacing on the glass as it is consumed. The smell is mostly hops with a little malt as well. The taste is a very nice crisp, fairly hoppy and a little sweet malt mix of flavor. Very refreshing. Unlike other macro lagers, this beer is very good even when it's not ice cold, because again, it has flavor to it. The finish is slightly sweet malt.

I would choose this any day over any other macro lager I have ever tried, regardless of the price. If only the big three would catch on to the fact that there are a lot of people that like the taste of beer. Honestly, this is a staple in my fidge along with beers that are much more expensive. Regardless of its price, Schlitz is a very good tasting beer that is hands down the best tasting macro lager out there. (1,193 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +30%

This 60's formula is what it use to be back when I remembered how much i liked Schlitz. They finally re-captured the great brew. This is what I think American brews should taste and feel like, clean balanced and not too carbonated. Not too sharp and not too sweet. Nothing fancy, just a great real American brew that is easy to toss down with friends. Like someone else mentioned it is not in every store but it is worth the search. (432 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +29.4%

A - drank out of the can but I'm sure it looked close to PBR

S - Very little hops, kind of a grainy/corn smell

T - Loved the taste. Again it really reminds me of PBR which I love. Smooth refreshing lager taste that you won't find with BMC

M - smooth, crisp, good amount of carbonation...plain and simply refreshing.

D - highly drinkable. I can put away many of these. Great summertime beer.

I have to say, at 7.74 a 12 pack, I think this will become my new fridge stocker and Wal Mart sells it :) (501 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +28.8%

This is I think one of the great American lagers.

Not something you would gently open, pour carefully into a glass, sniff, quaff and get emotional about how German imigrants bought their great brewing craft from the hills of Bavaria to the promised land

Nope, this is something for the beach or the yard, or just sat couchlocked in front of the tv watching sports.

It is what it is . . . Soft finish, highly carbonated, refreshing. (436 characters)

Schlitz was great drinking brew. This brew had an ABV of 4.6% It pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. The brew went down smooth. I really Like this brew when it was out on the market. It it a shame It is retired. Overall I giving this brew a 4 out 5

This is a Re review of This brew. got the last six pack. 10/23/14

Schlitz brewed JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) with an ABV of 4.6%. This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. The smell is rich with grains and malts. This brew has look and the smell of an American Lager. The taste is smooth but sweet. There is a lot of flavor in this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. There is nothing over powering in this brew. I really like this brew. it has a nice crisp taste to it. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. (818 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +27.2%

A=Small white head, nice golden color which looks like a regular beer should

S=Lager yeast, corn, hops

T=This is the enjoyable part of the brew..You taste a mixture of bitter hops, fresh grain, pale malts, and corn. There is no artificial aftertaste and it is not a heavy beer. This is what a classic American Adjunct Lager should taste like.

M=Schlitz is carbonated and soda-like but runs flat when you get towards the end of the beer. You will always get a nice surge of hop and grain with each sip.

D=Schlitz is highly drinkable and aesthetically pleasing to the eye due to its retro design and classic taste. They do not sell Schlitz Gusto in South Carolina (I've requested it from various beverage stores and was unable to get any). The canned Schlitz is sold in South Carolina and costs $7.00 for a 12 pack.
Schlitz is a sessionable beer and easy to drink. It really does have more of a "classic" beer taste than other AAL's.

I do not recommend drinking any wine or other beers when drinking Schlitz however because you will end up with a nauseous headache the next morning. (1,088 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +26.8%

Glass - Pint

A - Ultra clear & ultra carbonated, lots of tiny bubbles rising to the top. Pale gold color with a 2-finger head, held for a little while which is out of style because usually it snaps away in a few seconds. Little lacing, a spot here & there.

S - Lots of graininess here, a bit musky with very very mild fruity pair notes. Simple & clean. A little bit of pepper kind of note that I picked up as it warmed, not offensive though.

T - Wow! I'm really impressed by how flavorful this beer is with such a lite ABV. Lots of musky biscuit flavors, graininess and a little buttery note somewhere in there. Finishes with a nice bitterness that's actually note astringent or artificial like.

M - Very very carbonated/crisp. Lite & refreshing, thin, lite bodied.

D - Wow, just impressed with this one, I love the fact that there's not any astringent/tart/artificial flavors in this beer that I pick up all the time in others. Priced just as good as the other BMC brews, I could easily drink a 6pk or more. Damn good for the style, this is my new favorite this style as well. Highly recommended for kick backs with friends/family/BBQ. Worth trying. (1,155 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +26.8%

Picked this beer up just for old time sake, it's the beer my father and his friends drank in the early 70's. Was pleasantly surprised and it has become my regular everyday beer. Taste is really good, better than any of the big 3 beers. I put it above Pabst also. No aftertaste, nice bubbly feel, most surprising. There are better beers out there, but not at this price. (369 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +25.2%

A no frills beer that's easy to down. Would go good with some barbeque or briskett (sp?). American adjunct filled lager, but not bad. Not much flavor, not bad. Something that's quaffable and would wash down some food fairly easily. $3.50 for a 6 pack. A good beer for the poor. (277 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +25.2%

I revisited this one after seeing the positive reviews and can't argue with them.
For a super-cheapo American adjunct Lager it's damn good.
The smell is Beery enough without the canned green bean scent commonly associated with Lagers of this type.
While there is a slight "corny" note, it doesn't rise to the point where it's offensive. In fact it bounces off the taste buds nicely between the malt and light Hop notes in a pleasing way. Sort of like having a flavor ping-pong game going on in my mouth.
For the price, Schlitz towers over the drab BMC offerings by several thousand feet.
I've had too many really good Beers to even consider it competition to them, but on the price points and availability, Schlitz gets a good rating.
The king of budget priced American Beers? Hell yeah!
I like this stuff. (806 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +25.2%

I just recently started drinking this classic. It is now one of my favorites!

I gave an avaerage score for appearance, since I sampled this straight out of the can. The can looks nice though!

The smell is kind of sweet. My sample warmed up a little, so it smelled sweet; a corny kind of sweetness. Not bad at all.

The taste is quite good. Lots of grain, almost no alcohol, and like the can says "just the kiss of the hops." The hops balance nicely with the malty nature of this brew, making for a rather tasty macro.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, but the taste more than makes up for it.

Drinkability: Well, its insane, off the charts! You could very easily down a bunch of these, and want more!

This version of Schlitz is nice! I cant wait until the new formula comes out.

Prost! (786 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ok What is it now that its not gusto but taste like gusto but not in a gusto can? anyway....Glad to see they are producing this a little more after its summer disappearance. Beer has a light look, feel, pours with a two finger head into a Schlitz goblet.The sip is clean, good balance like a Macanudo cigar. Nothing at all unpleasant and most certainly a go to beer for all occasions. This isn't a craft but its easily still one of the most balanced drinkable adjuncts I've ever had. Feel the nostalgia to back when the gods at Schlitz ruled the earth. (552 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

This beer is a great beer on a 90 degree hot ass day. Our local bar has these 5 for 5 bucket cans (12oz), you can't beat that.
Pours golden yellow, quick head which doesn't last too long. 90% of the time these get slammed right out the can. I'm on a tight beer buget and the brew works. Down here its always 90 degrees and humid, so during my softball games,, it really keeps you going. Its not the best by far but if your gonna try it, keep a open mind because you might be surprised...
Cheers (495 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Just a kiss of the hops, indeed. I poured this fine brew into a chilled footed pilsner glass.
The appearance is a brilliant, heavenly yellow with a foamy white head.
Smell is pleasant, the aroma is rich of hints of wheat , corn and Hops.
Taste is a great for a budget beer , a perfect balance of hops and malt.
Mouthfeel is really nice, you get a nice array of flavors, light bodied, well balanced brew overall, crisp and clean.
Drinkability , pretty nice session beer, these would be nice out of an icy cooler on a hot summer day.
Overall one of the best tasting cheapies out of a can. (593 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

For an inexpensive beer, Schlitz is very good. Nice foamy head, crisp mouth feel, a citrus-y smell. All around clean, fresh beer. One caution, serve this beer ICE COLD. Great for having wings, going fishing, an icy cold one after mowing the grass... For an old fashioned "Macro Brew", it's pretty good. (302 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +24.3%

Poured out yellow and fizzy with a really lively head that disappears. Smells of malt and corn. Tastes pretty much the same, but I detect, as the can states, a "kiss of the hops" in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is soda-like. Drinkability is pretty damned good.

This is one of my stand-by cheap beers along with High Life and PBR at $6 a 12. Much better than choking down some Natty. (383 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +24%

Give me six Schlitz's or whatever's free.

Appearance is watery apple juice, yellowy and near clear. The foamy white head dissipates almost immediately.

A clean, grainy lager scent, very mellow and surprisingly crisp and appealing. Very very little hint of hops.

What a surprisingly good flavor. Creamy sweetness in the forefront, followed by a nice balance between the yeasty nature of lagers and the corn/grain flavor. Finishes mellow and crisp, would be ideal for outdoor cookouts.

The feel is too light and way too unassuming. Like drinking watery seltzer water.

Well guess what. This is the PERFECT cheap beer. This can cost me $0.68 including tax. I can't get Coca Cola for that. And this is a very mellow and decent flavor, while it is not an adventurous choice, more people should know and appreciate this good value beer. (834 characters)

Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)