Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
ironstein

Iowa

08-16-2012 20:14:40 | More by ironstein
Photo of

You rated this beer. Consider writing a review.

02-20-2013 03:21:46 | More by
BeerGuy1991

02-20-2013 00:16:44 | More by BeerGuy1991
ERIK1069

I was watching Pawn Stars on the history channel one day and I saw someone bring in a Schlitz lamp. I then researched the beer that was once known as the king of beers. I was from that point on very interested in learning about a beer that had so much history even having never tried it. Finally one day I did some more research online only to find out that a local beer store had Schlitz beer but ONLY in 12 pack cans. Having never tried this beer before I was hesitant to try it at first but from the first step I had found my new favorite beer. I was only sorry that I didn't get to try this beer sooner. Sure the recipe changed during the 1970's and that was their downfall, well at least until they brought back the original 1960's formula. I sure hope that people give this beer a chance because it's the best beer I ever had and it deserves a much, long awaited comeback.

07-24-2013 18:59:03 | More by ERIK1069

06-11-2012 22:52:59 | More by mac430
MikeAAL

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +59.2%

My second favorite AAL. I can only find it in bottles around my area, I've never seen in cans except for a Meat Loaf concert I went to in Milwaukee. They were serving "Tall Boys." Schlitz and Rock 'n Roll in Milwaukee, what a combination!

Pale yellow, straw color. Mildly carbonated. A very nice head that lasted a while.

Smells malty and hoppy.

Tastes very malty, very dark tasting for it's style. Creamy. Good bitter hops at the end. Mildly carbonated. Crisp, clean finish.

Mildy carbonated, medium weight.

An excellent beer. No surprise that this is "The beer that made Milwaukee famous."

02-08-2013 20:49:13 | More by MikeAAL

Fleyeswattr

05-17-2014 20:07:08 | More by Fleyeswattr
foogerd

4.33/5  rDev +48.3%

A- Pale yellow body with a nice sized white head.

S- Grainy sweet corn malty biscuits.

T- Very tasty Adjunct Lager all around, great sweet malts with a touch of bitter hops.

M- Clean with a nice burst of refreshing carbonation.

D- This redeems the whole category of American Adjunct Lagers, you can session this drinking can after can watching the game and never get bored of the flavor.

03-08-2011 04:30:34 | More by foogerd
PapillonJohn

4.3/5  rDev +47.3%

Consumed from a can on 2/27/2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Poured from can into pilsener glass.

Appearance: Pale, amber color. The head lasts only about a minute...or two if you're lucky. The color, though itself is pretty regal.

Smell: I am not getting to much from the smell. A little bit of a "hoppy", "soapy", "corny" taste.

Taste: Wow Wow We Wa...yeah. Hey, it's way more than what I thought. A blatant; "F YOU!" to the people who aren't tasting the hops. It's right there, really? What I am not tasting is a shitty, false, malty flavor.

Mouthfeel: very light, with a bubbly carbonation.

Drinkabiliity: I can see why this was so popular "back in the day." Also, I am so glad it's offered today. Sure, I am ONLY judging this off of what it is, not compared to other styles or beers.

Get it, try it, love it.

SCHLITZ GIVES YOU THE SCHLITZ!

02-27-2011 07:15:27 | More by PapillonJohn
hophead98

4.25/5  rDev +45.5%

09-30-2013 20:41:35 | More by hophead98
Rddymk

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +45.5%

After a decade of mass produced products, I have come to the conclusion that Schlitz is the best sub-premium beer on the market. The sweet taste and the "kiss of the hops" makes it a true, less bitter, American original. It is a complete beer that has a bold, yet easy palpabale aroma. And for the price (9.99 a case) it concludes with the same taste from the first pour to the last swallow.

10-19-2007 02:11:45 | More by Rddymk
jsisko01

4.2/5  rDev +43.8%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with an inch thick head that dissipates quickly and leaves a nice lacing.

Smell - Getting a very nice sweetness upfront, kind of lemony. Corn, grains, and pale malts come through as well.

Taste - Sweet with corn, pale malts, grains, and buttery biscuits.

Mouthfeel - Has a medium body with mild carbonation. The carbonation gives it a creamy texture.

Overall - I really liked this beer. It's worth buying it again.

05-31-2012 03:06:25 | More by jsisko01
vacax

4.18/5  rDev +43.2%

Snagged the first case off of the first delivery to BevMo Cypress. Was looking for some Black Butte XXI when I found this to knock off my wants list. $7.99 for a dozen twelve ounce cans.

I like the packaging and can design, it is slightly retro, but not obvious. It pours a nice golden color, satisfyingly golden instead of wimpily straw. The head is white, moderately generous, and slightly fizzy. It is a good looking beer, but suffers from lack of head retention and subsequent lacing.

The aromatics at play, if I may say so, actually display hops. They are mildly bitter and only slightly citrusy, but I have to say one of the best smelling adjunct lagers I have had. There is perhaps a hint of corny grain, but I pick up more good citrus than bad corn. Quite impressive for the style.

Initial taste is mild with a slightly fruity, citrus and apple combined with a pleasant amount of bittering hops. It is light with a crisp bite that is really quite pleasant, it isn't trying to eliminate all the bitterness here so there is actually some nice balance. The only catch is on the midpalate, if I keep it in my mouth it quickly goes downhill and becomes grainy, metallic, and slightly alcoholic on the finish. So just take a swig and swallow and enjoy. This is simple beer I don't need to think about, just drink it like I would anything else and be refreshed.

The beer is medium bodied with medium carbonation. I am appreciative that this thing is not over carbed, as many macro lagers tend to be. Really adds to the drinkability, which is pretty damn high. I have had craft pilseners that I enjoyed less that cost twice as much.

This beer exceeded all of my expectations and is probably my new go-to cheap beer. I am now very interested in trying the 60's Gusto version.

This review is based on the style of American Adjunct Lager.

07-15-2009 03:46:27 | More by vacax
GustoMan

4.13/5  rDev +41.4%

This 60's formula is what it use to be back when I remembered how much i liked Schlitz. They finally re-captured the great brew. This is what I think American brews should taste and feel like, clean balanced and not too carbonated. Not too sharp and not too sweet. Nothing fancy, just a great real American brew that is easy to toss down with friends. Like someone else mentioned it is not in every store but it is worth the search.

10-14-2012 21:29:34 | More by GustoMan
ClearDog

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev +40.4%

Appearance -- Poured from can to glass mug. The color is a deep, pure gold. Very effervescent. Head was about a finger and was a bubbly white.

Smell -- Just a little hoppy with sweet malt. It reminds me of a much weaker German pilsner. I know that other have claimed to, but I do not smell any corn adjuncts. Not what I was expecting at all.

Taste -- Like the can says, "Just a Kiss of Hops." There's a little bit of hop bitterness which balances well with the malty sweetness. This is very clean and refreshing. Not at all like a Miller High Life, where the finish is just too sweet.

Every couple of sips I think I taste a corn like sweetness, but this could be my imagination. Not what I was expecting . . . this tastes pretty good.

Mouthfeel -- Just right for the style. Kind of watery, but there is a little gravity here. This is what I'm looking for on an 80+ degree day.

Drinkability -- This one is very sessionable. I never purchase macro beers but for some reason I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to give an American classic a try: I'm glad I did. When you're in the mood give this one a try. Don't automatically write it off as "swill."

09-17-2006 21:26:48 | More by ClearDog
AustinBeerLvr

4.1/5  rDev +40.4%

This is by far my favorite macro lager. At $5.50 a 12 pack, this brew is just proof that the big three are often more expensive due to their marketing. Schlitz tastes MUCH better than Budweiser, Miller, or Coors, for one reason, it has a taste! And, for anybody that is wondering, I normally drink more flavorful beers.

The beer pours a fairly average looking lager style, with a fair amount of head. It also leaves a fairly good lacing on the glass as it is consumed. The smell is mostly hops with a little malt as well. The taste is a very nice crisp, fairly hoppy and a little sweet malt mix of flavor. Very refreshing. Unlike other macro lagers, this beer is very good even when it's not ice cold, because again, it has flavor to it. The finish is slightly sweet malt.

I would choose this any day over any other macro lager I have ever tried, regardless of the price. If only the big three would catch on to the fact that there are a lot of people that like the taste of beer. Honestly, this is a staple in my fidge along with beers that are much more expensive. Regardless of its price, Schlitz is a very good tasting beer that is hands down the best tasting macro lager out there.

08-11-2006 23:50:39 | More by AustinBeerLvr
beerera4

4.08/5  rDev +39.7%

A - drank out of the can but I'm sure it looked close to PBR

S - Very little hops, kind of a grainy/corn smell

T - Loved the taste. Again it really reminds me of PBR which I love. Smooth refreshing lager taste that you won't find with BMC

M - smooth, crisp, good amount of carbonation...plain and simply refreshing.

D - highly drinkable. I can put away many of these. Great summertime beer.

I have to say, at 7.74 a 12 pack, I think this will become my new fridge stocker and Wal Mart sells it :)

07-05-2009 22:08:31 | More by beerera4
MatJones

4.08/5  rDev +39.7%

This is I think one of the great American lagers.

Not something you would gently open, pour carefully into a glass, sniff, quaff and get emotional about how German imigrants bought their great brewing craft from the hills of Bavaria to the promised land

Nope, this is something for the beach or the yard, or just sat couchlocked in front of the tv watching sports.

It is what it is . . . Soft finish, highly carbonated, refreshing.

03-08-2012 23:26:09 | More by MatJones
wattoclone

09-12-2012 20:13:07 | More by wattoclone
hydroplaner

Kentucky

09-04-2012 01:41:54 | More by hydroplaner
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)