Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Its got that sick pale gold/water color look going on, and the smell is not very appealing. There isnt too much going on with the taste, pretty standard for this price. There actually is a kiss of hops, but its just a peck. Im not sure what this beer made milwaukee famous for, but it cant be too good. Not the worst beer in this catagory however, and it is better priced than a lot of the crappier compatition.

2.48/5  rDev -14.8%

I'm typing this review from notes, and I don't remember why I wrote this exactly, but the first words are "Smells- grassy hop and sulpher (more like farts and poo)" Hmmm.. Its possible I was just in a beligerent mood but I obviously did not find the smell appealing. I do remember why I did not like the appearance, it had no head and was seriously the color of pale, dirty water (these beers really are best from the can).

I have to say the taste actually pleasantly surprised me. It starts with a nice, sweet, bready grain, just a hint of rice astringency and alcohol before Schlitz actually delivers on its "kiss of the hops" slogan and adds a pleasant grassiness to a sweet aftertaste. Mouthfeel is midwieght, a little strupy, and dead save some grain astringency. I would be very interested in having this fresh on tap, where some of the issues might be resolved.

2.48/5  rDev -14.8%

I'm pretty much sure that it is likely the first beer I ever tasted was a
Schlitz. Dad was always dragging me along when he visited all the
other old Slovenian guys in town, and one time one of them gave me
a beer. I must have been eight or something, and eight years old is
far, far away.

Anyway, Schlitz pours a big stiff head over a clear straw colored brew.
The nose is the familiar corn and rice macro lager pong. The flavor is
pretty familiar too- sweet corn up front with a suggestion of grassy hop
in the finish- probably a little more than in a lot of your other macros.
Mouthfeel is crisp and that's about it. I can't believe I probably pulled a
bitter beer face the first time I had some, what, 38 years ago? Anyway,
a Schlitz is like an old Style is like a Stite is like a Budweiser is like a
Moosehead is like a Grain Belt is like a Michelob is like a Miller is like
a LaBatt is like a Coors. If you like this style, you sure do have a lot of
label designs to choose from, the contents are pretty much the same.
If the typography on the Schlitz is pleasing to you- and you like the style,
this is the brew for you!

2.48/5  rDev -14.8%

Went out to find this beer with my dad because he was feeling a bit nostalgic. Bought a 6 pack of cans for $3 and change, includes tax. Cheap for a 6 pack, course I get to here how "in my day it was this price for a 12 pack." He loved it, here's my take:

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass a nice golden with a soapy, foamy, white head, about 1-inch. Fell to a decent ring around the glass. A nice typical macro lager.

Smell: As expected, grainy, corny, adjuncty. Not completely horribly, just normal. I expect a little sweetness from this beer.

Taste: Macro, but a bit "off". It was a little sweet, but there was a touch of bitterness at the finish. Touch metallic also.

Mouthfeel: This is a little touch, because this beer is supposed to be thin and watery which it was, I just hoped it to not be.

Drinkability: Is this drinkable? Yes, but I don't really want too drink too much. There are other cheap "old man beers" that I would rather have. There was something about this one that just did not agree with me.

2.45/5  rDev -15.8%

Nose is grainy sweet and toasty with touch of caramel. Smells pretty good.

Medium gold good clarity moderate head with moderate retention. Looks pretty good.

Dry and bitter, fairly void of flavor. Toasty and dry, mildly stiff. Softly carbonated with mild-to-no sweetness. Tastes south of okay. Fair drinkability.

There are many better American lagers available, and there are many, many worse. At least it wasn't that expensive.

2.42/5  rDev -16.8%

Schlitz is definitely the last beer a real beer conoisseur would be caught drinking, but let's all face it, we all had a few of these in our late teens/early 20s when we were young and broke. This is the perfect frat party beer, meant for chugging, but honestly has no worth as a legitimate drinking beer. This is also what you would expect a hobo to be drinking as it is one of the cheapest beers ever.

Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)