Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros

noremac423, Nov 03, 2012

SHCC, Feb 25, 2012

SLeffler27, Nov 18, 2012

LaughingZebra, Jul 04, 2014
2.48/5  rDev -14.8%

I'm typing this review from notes, and I don't remember why I wrote this exactly, but the first words are "Smells- grassy hop and sulpher (more like farts and poo)" Hmmm.. Its possible I was just in a beligerent mood but I obviously did not find the smell appealing. I do remember why I did not like the appearance, it had no head and was seriously the color of pale, dirty water (these beers really are best from the can).

I have to say the taste actually pleasantly surprised me. It starts with a nice, sweet, bready grain, just a hint of rice astringency and alcohol before Schlitz actually delivers on its "kiss of the hops" slogan and adds a pleasant grassiness to a sweet aftertaste. Mouthfeel is midwieght, a little strupy, and dead save some grain astringency. I would be very interested in having this fresh on tap, where some of the issues might be resolved.

JudgeRoughneck, Dec 03, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -14.8%

I'm pretty much sure that it is likely the first beer I ever tasted was a
Schlitz. Dad was always dragging me along when he visited all the
other old Slovenian guys in town, and one time one of them gave me
a beer. I must have been eight or something, and eight years old is
far, far away.

Anyway, Schlitz pours a big stiff head over a clear straw colored brew.
The nose is the familiar corn and rice macro lager pong. The flavor is
pretty familiar too- sweet corn up front with a suggestion of grassy hop
in the finish- probably a little more than in a lot of your other macros.
Mouthfeel is crisp and that's about it. I can't believe I probably pulled a
bitter beer face the first time I had some, what, 38 years ago? Anyway,
a Schlitz is like an old Style is like a Stite is like a Budweiser is like a
Moosehead is like a Grain Belt is like a Michelob is like a Miller is like
a LaBatt is like a Coors. If you like this style, you sure do have a lot of
label designs to choose from, the contents are pretty much the same.
If the typography on the Schlitz is pleasing to you- and you like the style,
this is the brew for you!

shadow1961, Mar 14, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -14.8%

Went out to find this beer with my dad because he was feeling a bit nostalgic. Bought a 6 pack of cans for $3 and change, includes tax. Cheap for a 6 pack, course I get to here how "in my day it was this price for a 12 pack." He loved it, here's my take:

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass a nice golden with a soapy, foamy, white head, about 1-inch. Fell to a decent ring around the glass. A nice typical macro lager.

Smell: As expected, grainy, corny, adjuncty. Not completely horribly, just normal. I expect a little sweetness from this beer.

Taste: Macro, but a bit "off". It was a little sweet, but there was a touch of bitterness at the finish. Touch metallic also.

Mouthfeel: This is a little touch, because this beer is supposed to be thin and watery which it was, I just hoped it to not be.

Drinkability: Is this drinkable? Yes, but I don't really want too drink too much. There are other cheap "old man beers" that I would rather have. There was something about this one that just did not agree with me.

BigRedN, Jan 23, 2006
2.45/5  rDev -15.8%

Nose is grainy sweet and toasty with touch of caramel. Smells pretty good.

Medium gold good clarity moderate head with moderate retention. Looks pretty good.

Dry and bitter, fairly void of flavor. Toasty and dry, mildly stiff. Softly carbonated with mild-to-no sweetness. Tastes south of okay. Fair drinkability.

There are many better American lagers available, and there are many, many worse. At least it wasn't that expensive.

MrHungryMonkey, Apr 19, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -16.8%

Schlitz is definitely the last beer a real beer conoisseur would be caught drinking, but let's all face it, we all had a few of these in our late teens/early 20s when we were young and broke. This is the perfect frat party beer, meant for chugging, but honestly has no worth as a legitimate drinking beer. This is also what you would expect a hobo to be drinking as it is one of the cheapest beers ever.

ronniebruner, Dec 05, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from a chilled 16 oz. can into a lidded stein and enjoyed outdoors while listening to a baseball game on the radio, which is a great way to enjoy a beer of this style. I'm using a ceramic stein, so I can't see the beer except through the opening at top. It has a this skim of white bubbles. Below that, it is clear and golden. It has an aroma that is a fresher, sweeter version of that smell you find when you come into a room full of empties the night after a party. The Schlitz's smell isn't entirely unpleasant, but it's not entirely enticing either. The taste is of mediocre malty sweetness and probably some corn graininess. No hops. It has bit of a fuller body than many other similar beers and lots of carbonation. I'm drinking this beer because I had one in the fridge, and it seemed like a good beer to enjoy outside today. Even if I had any more, I wouldn't crack a second one open right away. I look for something tastier when I'm going to have a few rounds.

ToasterChef, Sep 07, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -17.5%

Rcaisse, Saturday at 01:13 AM
2.38/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a very thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of adjuncts, corn, light malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts with an adjunct sweetness that is quickly followed by a grain & light malt breadiness. The hops presence is very mild just like every other beer in the style. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: A little smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily, not filling at all, mild kick, decent representation of style, it's not a completely bad beer, in desperation I think I could drink it, but there are several others within the style that I would pick first.

TheManiacalOne, Jan 10, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -18.2%

Schlitz beer is hard to come by where I live in California. However, I've always preferred it to other beers in the same style.

Appearance: Very Light. Great thick and creamy head that retains well. Very impressive for this category of beer

Smell: Not much. Slight notes of hope just because the lack of character elsewhere.

Taste: Sharp. The hops definitely dominate and finish well. One of the best beer in the American lager category. I'll take one of these over a Budweiser or Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Mouthfeel: Light, but less watery than some beers. The beer tends to go flat quick. This is a beer for drinking quick.

Drinkability. It's nothing remarkable. It's Good to a drink a couple of these in the evening.

BerkeleyBeerMan, Dec 05, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale gold color that is clear. The little bit of head I managed to get out of it dissipated quickly.

Smell: Has quite the funky malt smell that I usually notice in many European versions. Not appetizing.

Taste: It's still a little funky, and despite there being a mild hop kick, the funk is pretty dominant.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy and thin. Nothing really special.

Drinkability: Not very good. Maybe I got a bad batch that had gone skunky or something, but this was pretty bad.

civilizedpsycho, Apr 04, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -21%

Pours a medium golden color with no lacing and little to no head.

Smells like an adjunct corn lager.

Tastes similar to watered down malt liquor. A very small amount of bittering hops with a lasting unpleasant graininess.

The high carbonation with the graininess makes this beer not very drinkable.

I was expecting more from this beer, with it's new/old formula change and price hike. I'll just reach for a blatz if I want a cheaper adjunct lager.

Mardukk, Mar 28, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -21%

The beer that made Milwaukee Famous...true story.

Just the kiss of the hops - trademark

Poured from a can into a Bruery tulip. Beer is yellow and clear with moderate carbonation and a huge head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Looks fine.

Come on now, its in an effing tulip for christ's sake and there is close to no aroma. WEAK!

Beer is medium bodied and kind of cereal in the mouth. There is a harsh aftertaste of boiled vegetables. No carb in mouth, no sweetness up front, no intentional bitterness in the back. If this is what Milwaukee is famous for I don't want to go there.

drabmuh, Aug 20, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -21%

Ugliest. Beer. Ever. Jaundiced,pale yellow with obscenely large bubbles that coalesce into a horrific, webby head that flees the scene quickly as if it's ashamed to exist. It ought to be. This looks more like a child's science experiment than a beer. The aroma is somewhat more appealing, very weak with a sourdough-like character and touches of skunk, lemon, and caramel corn. Flavor is mild yet pleasantly grainy, reminiscent of Wheaties or puffed wheat, vaguely nutty but also acrid and medicinal with a weirdly sour finish. Adequately fizzy and dry, even crisp - but in the end, I think this beer is not even good enough to call refreshing.

soulgrowl, Sep 18, 2009
2.28/5  rDev -21.6%

Appearance: A crystal-clear golden body capped by two fingers of fluffy white head that feature good retention and patchy lacing. Looking good so far.

Aroma: Faint grains and equally faint lemony hops. Rather standard.

Flavor: The flavor profile is a balance of sweet, grainy malt and lemony and grassy hops. There’s also a metallic flavor lurking around the edges. It’s balanced well, but still rather weak. Just a bare whiff of husky grains in the clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation and a crisp finish.

Drinkability: Average for the style. That is to say, for fans of the flavor, this is an exceedingly easy drinker.

Verdict: While I held some hope that perhaps Schlitz was something more than the offerings of the big three (and that hope seemed vindicated upon seeing the beer in the glass), alas, it’s just the same old crap. Still, I hold lots of hope for the 60’s formula version that’s starting to show up across the country.

BeanBone, Jun 04, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -22.7%

erialbill, Jul 04, 2013
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)