Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
Ratings: 727 | Reviews: 329

had to try this because its legendary status. Only could find in 24 packs. Color is pale, Smells strong taste awful, mouthful is awful drinkability is never ever again. Absolutely the worst i have ever had. One should try this beer due to its status, but that's it

Had this beer a while back, wow it was awful. I heard that the reason that this beer tasted so bad was that they changed the recipe, and that the original recipe was far better. It's a mystery that they did that, as this version of Schlitz was dreadful, hell I don't even want to try the original flavor, since the company brought it back. This one poured yellow with a lot of foam, far too much in my opinion, and tasted like sewage. Good thing that they discontinued this swill.

CONTAINER VOLUME: 355ml
CONTAINER TYPE: can
FRESH: y
PURCHASED @: first beer given to me by my father
COST: priceless
HEAD: minimal
LACE: slight
COLOR:dingy yellow
AROMA: urine
MOUTHFEEL: light
TASTE: curled my teeth
COMMENTS: wondered why my dad ever drank the stuff
CONDITIONS:
MOWING/WORKING ON CAR-n
WITH FRIENDS- n
SIPPING- n
GET MY BUZZ ON- n

1.21/5  rDev -58.3%

It hurts me to give my lowest rating to a beer I grew up with.
I debated whether to post at all- what I sampled is a beer gone bad. Although it had 2 months left to pull date and was in a cooler.

Here goes:
Poured nicely, white head falls rapidly, very thin yellow color.

The aroma was my tip off- the smell was akin to soggy cardboard.
I went ahead and tasted- chewy cardboard.

I try all kinds of beer- rarely do I pour out a beer. I dumped this one.

My expectation wasn't high ... despite my nostalgia for $1.25 pitchers of Schlitz in Milwaukee in the late '70's. However, this stuff was wrong. I have to believe that based on other folks ratings I just got stuck. Oh, well just a $2.99 six pack and I still have 5 display cans!

Joseph Schlitz would be disgusted to know how things have changed.

1.22/5  rDev -57.9%

Well's theres really nothing to say about this beer other than that it is utterly horrible. If you actually enjoy drinking stuff like this you really need to try some other kinds of beer. If you just drink it because you're poor and you want to get drunk then so be it. I'd rather not drink at all than drink this abomination.

1.41/5  rDev -51.4%

This beer pours a clear pale straw color. The head is small and recedes within seconds to nothing. The aroma is of air....clean air. Really there is nothing in the aroma. The taste is like the aroma, lots of nothing. The mouthfeel is this, watery, and over carbonated. This is a horrible beer that I will never drink agian.

1.53/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, I was in the mood to try another macro to see for myself what it was all about. Ordered this, and I swear, the whole bar came to a stop...Anyway, I also got a glass, so my very own pour resulted in the expected yellow clear beer, a small head did dissipate quickly. Aroma was of candy corn. Taste was of yellow carbonation. It was a very tasteless beer. I can't give it out and out 1's, as I drank the whole beer, it wasn't awfuly tasting, just that the taste was lacking. Disapointed in that the can promised me: Just a kiss of the hops, and tastewise, I didn't even get a peck on the cheek. Don't be surprised that I won't get it again ;-)

1.68/5  rDev -42.1%

Schlitz
Head: Thin pale tasteless,and gon in a flash.
Body: Clear empty almost water like a very very pale yellow.
Taste: Ice cold it wasn't to bad but when it warmed up it was awful
heavy skunk taste.

Good name it taste like Schlit!

1.74/5  rDev -40%

Tallboy can at a bar in Wisconsin. Farva says, "I’ll have 6 Schlitzes!" but I’d personally prefer none. Give me a Hair of the Dog Dave or 3 Fonteinen Framboos instead. This is a bad beer.

Pale yellow and fairly fizzy with a white head.

Corny and grainy on the aroma.

The flavor is straight-up pale malt and unpleasant hop bitterness. A hint of off-flavors, or maybe they meant to have that creamed corn aspect. Who knows.

Watery and not impressive at all on the mouthfeel.

Now peep this: I suspect they got the name of this beer mixed up. They accidentally added a c, l, and z to the name. Take those letters out and you’re left with...oh snap! ZING! Epic burn!

1.75/5  rDev -39.7%

Okay, this beer was popular cheep beer in my college days. It is not a bad as some of the others out there, but still I usually would go with plain old Old Milwaukee.

1.76/5  rDev -39.3%

So I remembered reading years ago that Schlitz was one of the best low-cost canned beers. I'm not sure if it's changed or if the reviewer was smoking crack. It was a slight hint of citrus. Otherwise it's more or less a mix of Zima and Coors with a bit of Evian added.

1.78/5  rDev -38.6%

I tried to prepare myself to like this beer, but I couldn't fool myself. My dad liked it in the 32oz bottles in the late 60s/early 70s. He let me sample it in little fruit juice glasses (child abuse?) as we watched Friday Night Fights together. But Schlitz reportedly changed their recipe in 1973. Big mistake!!! Rumors of added formaldehyde flew wild and Schlitz fell from grace. We switched to Narragansett, Knickerbocker or Ballatines. That said, and fond memories aside, this is beer bad. BAD! Straw in color with a thin white head and fast fading lace. The aroma of wet corncob and musty locker room is nearly repulsive. Am I tasting hops or the can? The fizzy effervescence gives way to a mealy pasty mouthfeel as it warms. So drink fast or don’t finish it!

1.89/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Not very good, but not the worst I ever had.

1.96/5  rDev -32.4%

In my recent pissbeer obsession I had a night of Schlitz and I wouldn't recommend it. After a few of these and you'll be feeling like Schlitz and be running to the bowl the morning after with a case of the schlitz.

I am all for cheap beer, but if you think you are white trash and want a budget brew, save the 50 cents and pick up a 6-er of PBR instead.

This stuff is straight up awful. With so many other decent pissbeer options (PBR) you don't never need to consume this nonsense. Because of the morning-after effects, I give drinkability a 1.0

1.97/5  rDev -32.1%

Good stuff for feeling low class. Yellow pour with white fuzz on top. Smells and tastes the same: watery, corny, and sweet, with the phantom of hops. For a super-low class beverage, this really wasn't as bad as the rap it gets. At least this one doesn't leave a terrible aftertaste in your mouth.

1.97/5  rDev -32.1%

Aroma - A slight skunk aroma with hints of corn and hops

Appearance - Pale, pale yellow with steady carbonation leading to a decent white head.

Taste - Water. I also got a weird aftertaste which kind of reminded me of my first taste of beer (not in a good way).

Mouthfeel - Thin with plenty of carbonation

Drinkability - If you're looking for a cheap beer this isn't really worth it. If you want dirt cheap there is cheaper stuff out there that doesn't taste this bad.

1.98/5  rDev -31.7%

Thanks Mom.

A - Clear yellow body with a half inch of off white head.

S - Soapy grain with a hint of apple.

T - Grainy throughout with an acidy finish.

M - Coarse and uncomfortable.

~ Not an impressive brew. This is one to be left to the high school students. Not even a college student should have to endure more than one of these.

I ran across the room and grabbed this one out of the hands of my friend. It was a darker yellow (apple juice) and tasted of sweet and stale cereal grains. It seemd rather corrupted with a filthy finish that made me momentarily lose my balance. I smacked my friend across the teeth, and poured the rest out on his lap. His father came into the room and told us that once upon a time, Schlitz was a mighty market contender, and that he drank it up until the 70's when he could no longer stomach the effect all their cost-cutting innovations had done to its integrity.

2.05/5  rDev -29.3%

Pours from the can a very pael yellow color with a but of white fizzy head. Smell is pretty. Boring just nothing much in the smell but skunk. Taste is pallatable, but thats about as nice as I can be, it's very watery. I guess it would be ok for a BBQ or if the only other option was water

2.06/5  rDev -29%

The beer after its disinternment from the 12-ounce can sets in the glass a typical lager golden yellow with a smallish frothy bright white head, the lace covers the pilsner glass in a fine sheet. Nose is crisp and clean and all malt, start is lightly sweet and thinly malted, top is cadaverous in feel. Finish is sternly acidc and the hops as one would expect from the lager style, dry aftertaste, and is as I remembered from my last sample some 4 years ago, "Yuck"!

2.06/5  rDev -29%

For what it is, it's drinkable. A buddy of mine used to swear by this stuff.

2.06/5  rDev -29%

Got this in an ugly brown bottle with "Schlitz" spelled out on the front in large, wavy, sorta old school scrawl.

It has a nice foamy head and looks is darker than I expected.

It smells kind of putrid... like a semi-skunky High Life. Semi-sweet.

The taste doesn't work for me at all. It has some musky hops up front muddled with what might pass for malt backbone for some. It was too grainy and the corn presence was really obvious. It tastes like malt liquor kind of. Colt 45, perhaps? Weird aftertaste.

It's thicker than Bud or High Life. I think that's why I feel like it's similar to a malt liquor.

I wouldn't want to drink this consistently. It has flavor and character, I just didn't like it.

2.08/5  rDev -28.3%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date of August 26, 2013. My first encounter with a bottle of Schlitz, and judging by it's kinship beers, I am not expecting much. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours about two fingers of fizzy fluffy white head that we all recognize. Pale straw yellow colored body, with some carbonation visible. Your typical "fizzy yellow water" beer.

S - Smell is basically nonexistent beyond some dusty malt & faint cheap graininess.

T - Taste isn't any more offensive than your typical American adjunct lager like Miller High Life, or Coors. Some carbonation, medium-full bodied, with some simple grain flavor.

M - Feel is sticky, with some grain / barley lingering.

Overall, your typical American adjunct lager, or fizzy yellow water beer. A more full-bodied version of a Pabst Blue Ribbon perhaps, but there is really no distinction between this bottle of Schlitz and most other cheap American lagers. Still, it is inoffensive and drinkable with a sessionable 4.60% abv. Another average swiller, or palate cleanser.

Schlitz ---2/5

2.08/5  rDev -28.3%

Bought in a can at a local dive bar.

Appearance poured into a pint glass is a light yellow with a thin white head.

Smell is light, kind of sweet, with some grain.

Taste is bland, not much here, drink it up quick, no need to savor Schlitz.

Mouth Feel is bland like the taste, will help when you ate a bunch of hot wings, but that is about it.

Drinkability is decent if you want to drink more than a couple beers, but Schlitz itself is not enjoyable.

2.11/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Typical macro lager. Pale gold in color, completely clear. It has a slightly sweetish smell, with a slight sweet vegetal smell. Mich more malty than i expected, although it is still clearly a macro lager. Light in body, and not very satisfying. This was one of my father's beers, and having it brings back some memories of him.

Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)