Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice clear, golden color. The head did not stick around long, but there was some nice lacing.

Crisp and refreshing with some bitterness.
Good carbonation and goes down easy.

A real nioe beer at a good price.

If you are feeling nostalgic, and want something cheap, pick up some Schlitz!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yellow colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma and taste is your basic macro.Very fresh,drinkable refreshing.This would be a winner at most summer type outings.I would recommend even for the macro haters.I have drank this in the past,present and plan to keep drinking it in the future.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As beer prices climb along with everything else, I find myself looking at some cheeper brews, some from days of old.
"Go For the Gusto" as I look at the web site, brings back some memories, I was just a kid in the sixties as this beer was in its hay-day. I remember the adds, some you can look at on the Schlitz site.

It pours clear to slight haze of gold. I think the colder the more chance of haze. A nice white head with good classic lace.

The aroma, light corn sweetness.

The taste, again light sweet malted corn. A touch of hop, more like a light tap, crisps things up.

The mouth is left slightly sweet, yet alittle dry. Best part, No metalic aftertaste, even in the can.

Drinkability easy. Especially cold. The can does not hinder, good from the can. Load the cozy!
And at $5.79 a 12, it pays to stock up on alittle beer history.

3.4/5  rDev +17.2%

I'm not sure what it is about old school cheap macro beers(PBR,Schlitz, Miller High Life) but consistently throughout my life, I have really enjoyed them. I probably hadn't drunk a Schlitz in over 10 years until yesterday that is. A: Medium yellow with more golden indications than most macros. S: Has a corn mash smell with a little diacetyl hint, really not that bad. T: Like the can says "just the kiss of the hops". It was a little sweet with a tiny touch of a hop finish that balanced it out pretty well. M: Viscous enough for coverage but thin nonetheless. D: I'd have to say above average potential for sessioning esp @ $2.99 a six pack. My local availability is very limited. I can only find it at one particular grocery store. When it came to old school icons I actually always preferred Falstaff back in the day, and I still prefer PBR. Honestly though just for variety's sake, for my next event that calls for cheap beer,(poker game, Mon/Thurs night football game) I think I might opt for the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

3.4/5  rDev +17.2%

Well.... I gues the best way to describe this beer is as " the same as the rest" but you can actually taste the hops.
But...and there is always a but...only in the first beer. At only 7.19 a 12 pack it's not a bad price but you only taste the beer/hops in the first, maybe secound beer. then it tastes just like the rest.
Not bad, not great.

3.4/5  rDev +17.2%

Ok, the economy has got me trying some other beers, I may some day buy a cheap beer I don't like to review, but I thought I'd give Schlitz a try as I hadn't had one in many years (since about 79?) and it's reviews were pretty good. Also it's the cheapest in the store. Pours a very clear yellow with a two finger head that quickly disappears to nothing. Smells of malt and a pleasant bit of just 'beer', not much going on though. Taste is where the brew shines, most beers in this category I simply cannot drink, period, even some really expensive beers. It is light, you do get some adjunct and the mouthfeel is crisp but thin. You do get a pleasant malt taste with barely a hint of hops and believe it or not, a pleasant aftertaste. There are no skunked tastes or smells, no metallic tinny tastes or anything off at all.

Like PBR and to me Coors, it's a good solid simple pleasuarable beer to drink.

3.41/5  rDev +17.6%

Darker in color than I was expecting. A slight auburn golden color with a medium white head which rises and falls quickly. Aroma is grainy and a bit of spicyness as well. Still, it was kind of weak. Taste leaned on the sweet side with a full grain flavor. I didn't notice any adjunctyness at all. Smooth body with a bit of a medicinal flavor as well. Hops are noticeable and slightly fruity. Finish is a bit cloying but also rather crisp. One of the best macros lagers I have had from America.

3.42/5  rDev +17.9%

I'm not sure who's brewing this right now, but they're doing a good job. The appearance is good, with a nice golden color, although the head retention is lacking. The aroma is very clean, which is to be expected - but is not always the case! The malt has a very nice, round character and there's even a touch of hops. Although I find the flavor a little sweet, it's balanced - partially by the crispness of the light body and effervescence. Never cloying. A little bit better than your average "premium" American-style lager. In fact, I'd drink this over most of the "super-premium's" (Budweiser, MIller High Life, Coors Original).

3.42/5  rDev +17.9%

Pale golden color with a thin and modest head that disappears quickly, faint lace. Aroma of hops with faint grain notes. Excellent flavor, quite crisp and refreshing. Begins with aggressive hops and stinging carbonation, slightly sweet. Grain flavors assert themselves midway through the tasting and a mild burst of hops finishes.

I had not tried this beer since my college days and was very surprised. Schlitz labors under the twin stigmas of being a macro brew and being inexpensive. In my opinion, this beer is very hard to beat for the money or if no favored brew is available. Try a blind taste test of Schlitz against against some other macros and you will realize just how good it is - an underrated American classic.

3.42/5  rDev +17.9%

Doing yard work on a humid day working up a sweat. Open the fridge and grab an ice cold Tall Boy. No need to pour this baby in a glass (although it does have a deep golden color with a nice sudsy head that leaves plenty of lace). It's all about the can and its history. Damn that's refreshing!

3.42/5  rDev +17.9%

12oz can to flare pint, pours a golden straw shade with a foamy white head that fades to lacing, nice slow movement of bubbles

smells of sweet malts, slight corn? or adjuncts of some kind, smells pretty ok

taste is of sweet malts and nice carbonation, grains are nice and linger, light hops hide in the back and round things out, slight adjuncts, reminds me of Milwaukee's Best but cleaner, totally not as harsh and astringent (probably way less adjuncts in comparison) Not a horrible macro by any means, and for the price it's quite a bargain - picked up a 24 pack for $12.99? i think

mouthfeel is of good carbonation, malts, slight bitterness, fairly well rounded and super easy to drink, not bad!

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

My dad use to drink Schlitz when I was a kid. So I thought I would give it a try. Well I liked it . Good beer nice taste not watery not to hoppy. Just a good easy drinking beer. Can't get it just anywhere. But will pick some more up when I get a chance.
Great for out at the lake. Or sitting in the back yard with a roaring fire shooting the bull with friends.

3.42/5  rDev +17.9%

This is a good, cheap beer. Pours an initial head of foam that reduces and some lacey rings remain for a bit.

Smell is quite floral from the hops for a macro, and some corn hints int he nose as well

tastes darn good, really a perfect amount of hops, if only there were some more malt this would be a quality beer. Definately top of class that it's in.

Goes down easy, some corn flavor remaisn int he back and mild taste of alcohol.

At $5.47 a 12-pack at wal mart it's a cheap session, and very sessionable. Hands down better than the big three or any other macro in my opnion. Platoon this with PBG and Old Style and have some real classics if you are value conscious.

3.43/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from a 12 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear pale yellow with a couple of fingers of head that dies away quickly to a thin film, some lacing.

S - Metal and grain, with a touch of sweetness.

T - A simple faint sweetness dominates followed by a dry, grain husk flavor. Some hops pull through late palate with some bitterness and a slight earthy/citrus flavor.

M - More body and lower carbonation than most of this style. Very lucious in the mouth for a macro.

D - This is often compared to PBR, and while overall I think PBR is a better beer, this doesn't disappoint. Looking forward to knocking a few more of these back this evening.

3.43/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured into a pint glass (maybe too classy for some) this brew has a corn yellow color with a super foamy white head that dissipated quickly with no lacing to speak of. This brew actually has a slight malt aroma with some floral hops as well. The taste is actually quite balanced. Word on the street is that Schlitz went back to the OG (original) recipe that "made Milwaukee famous" and being a Milwaukee boy, I think it was a smart decision. For the price of a sixer, this gives mass production beer a true run. Has a little more carbonation that I need, but a very drinkable beer for mass consumption.

3.45/5  rDev +19%

A pretty darn good beer for the money. Dare I say that I am enjoying this more than my standby Pabst?

The beer pours a light yellow color and ends up golden in the mug. There is a decent head that disappears into lacing.

Smells average.

The taste is darn good for what you pay. I will drink this any day over anything AB, Miller, or Coors makes.

I could drink these all day due to the fact that they go down so smoothly.

A - Clear straw like color. mild lacing

S - corny grain. It brings memories of being like 2 or 3 and smelling/tasting my grandpa's beer

T - grainy with a little hops. If you are sitting there thinking, wow I want an old fashion american beer without anything fancy, this is the beer you are thinking of. whether you know it or not

M - Very light, little bubbly, mild/clean finish

D - For being a regular old American lager, its easy to drink. Its not half bad either. It would make a simple party beer

3.45/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Classic old style label. Love it!

Appearance - Pours out a crystal clear golden yellow with a white airy 1 finger foam head that dissipates very quickly into a slight foam ring. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

Smell - Smells heavy on the corn malt and maybe floral hops.

Taste - Tastes of bitter hops and slight corn malt. A grainy malt taste also. Has a bite to it.

Mouthfeel - High in carbonation and medium bodied.

Drinkability - Very drinkable and refresing. Very crisp and smooth.

I was very surpised to find myself enjoying this beer tremendously. Wasnt sure what to expect because of my preconcieved notions of American mass-produced lagers. This one had a great mouthfeel and good flavor that I really liked. One of the better mass-produced American lagers that Ive had.

3.45/5  rDev +19%

Pale straw color with a decent foamy head. Has a little bit of lacing. The aroma is grainy with a hint of hoppy spice. Hence, " Just the kiss of the hops". The taste is clean and crisp overall. A nice sweetness from the grains and a touch of hops. Light bodied and a great drinkability. Sadly, it is beers like this that are over looked my many people. Schlitz is an example of a classic American lager. A lot of people do not know that Schlitz was America's 1# selling beer years before Budweiser or Miller dominated the market. A perfect warm weather beer at a great price.

3.46/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A lot can change in 50 years. During the 1950s, Schlitz was the #1 selling beer in America, but recipe changes in the 1970s brought down the former giant. It's now being brought back to life via Schlitz Gusto, but right here I have a regular version. First time I've seen it in SoCal, so I picked up a 12-pack for $7.99. On to the beer:

Into a Heineken tulip pint, the beer shown is a pale yellow color with some bubbles . The foam is "cheap", being very airy but thick, retains well above. A little lacing is left around the glass. Some cheap adjuncts in the aroma like corn, a little hay, quite clean and not totally offensive, just light.

It's okay when cold; it tastes like a decent adjunct lager. As the beer warms, a little pale malt sweetness is pciked up, and that's where we get "just the kiss of the hops". It's also where the beer seperates itself from the crowd. Also, it's clean, and doesn't have any serious faults such as sickly sweet corn flavors. A little grainy in the aftertaste, neutral. It's light in the mouth with a tight crispness.

In order to do this review, I needed TWO 12 oucne cans because I drank the first one so quickly. This is an obvious step ahead of most of the others beer in its class, and with that in mind, would make a great hot day/thirst quencher beer.

Fun fact: a $7.99 pricetag today comes out around $1.15 in 1957 dollars. I can't find the average price of beer during the 50s, but beer under 10 cents per 12 ounces looks like a fantasy. I'll stay in the modern age with the wealth of beer to choose from and the significently higher Purchasing Power (even adjusting for inflation), thankyouverymuch.

3.47/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

40 some years ago this was my Dad's choice of beer. He would buy it in quart bottles, and he might go through 2-3 of those a week. Often an open bottle would be in the frige and @15-16 years old, I took to regularly helping myself to a 4 oz. juice glass, so it was probably my first beer. My mom figured out my scheme which limited me to only a swig!

Back then this was a popular American Lager but somewhere around 1971 they changed the formula and ruined the beer (why would they do that).

Anyway, a generation later the original formula was alledgedly brought back.

This beer poured a pale straw yellow with a fine head with decent lacing but with little head retention.
It smell was of corn, grain with some hops coming through.
Tate was crisp and light with just a slight hop bitterness, all of wich exceeded my expectations.
The price of this beer (in Pa.) was $9.99 for a case of 24 -12 oz. cans makes it IMO a true value.
Wish I could find that value here in Georgia.

3.47/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ha! the return of the King! this is the new incarnation! Just picked up in Milwaukee. Label doesn't say who's really brewing it. Reminds me of the last version of about 8 or 9 years ago. Has a floral hop character with significant malt. Good for kickin back. It's the Schlitz! I'll drink more.

3.48/5  rDev +20%

It's hard to knock such a classic piece of American beer history. Sure it's not the best but I still love it's easy drinkability and touch of hops and sweetness.

$2 a pint down at one of my locals. Gotta love that!

3.48/5  rDev +20%

This is a great budget beer to keep on hand. American Macro beers don't have any hop presence and are mostly adjunct ridden corn smelling swill. Schlitz is an exception for the most part. There is a hop presence, nice carbonation, decent (yet light) mouthfeel, lots of drinkability, and a crisp finish with a malt backbone that lacks the sour corn/adjunct flavor that most of this style usually have. There is some corn happening but it is muted. It isn't an award winner but at $5.49 a 12 pack there isn't much that beats it in its class. However, be careful in large quantities. It is easy to put away a ton of this and that will put you on the toilet often the next day. You have been warned. Schlitz will give you the Schitz.

3.48/5  rDev +20%

"Just the kiss of the hops" or so the label says. I have not had "The Beer that made Milwaukee famous" in a very long time, and I was pleasently surprised how refreshing the beer was. Now brewed by Miller for the Pabst Marketing Company, this beer was both easy drinking and flavorful for a classic American lager. It pours a very pale gold with decent head and lacing. The aroma is missing much character and is mainly a sweetness from the malts and adjuncts. The taste is very smooth, but still has a nice malty sweetness with a slight kiss of hops in the finish. Overall, not complicated but still a very nice American lager.

Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)