Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev +23.7%

This beer has abnormally high scores (for me) in several categories. I'll explain why.

This beer is cheap, and it pretends to be nothing else. So, among the cheap beers (which often have an appropriate place in summer heat), Schiltz is one of the best.

The beer has a nice mouthfeel, the taste is plain, crisp, and clear. The can has a plain and atavistic look, contributing to the character of the beer.

Schlitz does what it is supposed to do, it has a prominent role in American beer history, and of the beers that come cheap, I pick it before most all the rest.

andrewm190, Dec 16, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -32%

Good stuff for feeling low class. Yellow pour with white fuzz on top. Smells and tastes the same: watery, corny, and sweet, with the phantom of hops. For a super-low class beverage, this really wasn't as bad as the rap it gets. At least this one doesn't leave a terrible aftertaste in your mouth.

magictrokini, Dec 10, 2008
3.15/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz brown bottle. Claims it's the "beer that made Milwaukee famous." But it's brewed in Illinois?

For being what it is, its not all that bad. Its a cheap macro, used widely as a good brew for a cheap buzz. Very drinkable, but best if served ice cold (interesting flavors come out when approaching room temperature). I have quite a few friends from Wisconsin who swear by this stuff. After all, its the Illinois brew that made Wisconsin famous.

Mistofminn, Dec 10, 2008

Beer bottle (33 cl.), tasted in 2003.

Appearance : yellow/gold color, with white foamy head (not persistent).
Smell : grassy aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel : sweet, watery, no bitterness.
Drinkability : an average beer in the style American Adjunct lager.

thierrynantes, Dec 07, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +12.7%

Bought a case of this for a party for $11.99... trying some of the leftover ones tonight.

This is pretty damn good for a mass produced beer. It definitely has more body and a thicker feel to it than the other macros out there. It was decently tasty and super drinkable. The next time I'm going out to a party this will be the beer I'm bringing.. a nice cheap beer option.

oriolesfan4, Nov 24, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +11%

I tried this before the relaunch about a year ago. The smell is the biggest difference. You know that first smell you catch when you just discovered the dog broke wind? That's what I was greeted with when I popped the screw-top off my bottle. I poured it into the glass, the smell remained for a short time, then actually turned to a warm aroma of sweet bread. The carbonation was good and prickly, and the prevailing flavor is sweet, followed by a bitter finish. The lager sweetens as it warms and had a taste of which I wouldn't mind spending the evening. All olfactory discussion aside, this is a beer I definitely wouldn't avoid if the friends or family roll out a cooler of Michelob Golden Light and Bud Light with a few of these mixed in for retro appeal.

P.S. "The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous", now made in Illinois.

hodgsongreg, Nov 18, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance is not good. Straw yellow color pale and faint. Not a lot going on here. Smell and taste are ok, but really just some faint corn malt is all. Not much else going on here. Mouthfeel is average for the style, pretty light, but some carbonation. Drinkability is ok but almost a bit skunked.

supercolter, Nov 06, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -51.9%

This beer pours a clear pale straw color. The head is small and recedes within seconds to nothing. The aroma is of air....clean air. Really there is nothing in the aroma. The taste is like the aroma, lots of nothing. The mouthfeel is this, watery, and over carbonated. This is a horrible beer that I will never drink agian.

KarlHungus, Oct 31, 2008
2.93/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours to a clear straw or yellow color with basically a no existent head. Lots of carbination bubbles!

The smell of sweet malts and hops is apparent.

Can definately taste the hops and some sort of grain.

A light bodied beer with a good amount of carbination!

Considering the price I would say if you are looking for something to drink at that price point and that style of beer go for it one of the better beers.

LordofTime25, Oct 30, 2008

This beer poured a pale yellow with a fluffy two-finger head that didn't last long. The scent was mostly sweet malt with some hops. The taste starts off with some sweetness and graininess that is cut by the hops that leads into a clean finish. The mouthfeel is watery, but the carbonation makes for a certain crispness. This is a very drinkable beer that's one of my favorites to grab at a bar for cheap.

TheTrevor, Oct 26, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +11%

Pours a clear straw-yellow color with some average white head that disappears quickly.

The scent is mostly of sweet malts and light hopps.

The taste slightly hoppy, some corn and grain.

Fairly light-bodied, very smooth with good carbonation.

Very drinkable. I was a bit skeptical because of how cheap it was for a case (12.99) but was pleasantly surprised.

BeerCon5, Oct 15, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -9.6%

My dad gave me a bottle of this as a joke. I had to review it.

Pours a clear pale straw with some good bubbling and a strong two finger head that recedes to a thick foam. It even leaves some lacing. Thebes t looking macro I've ever had. The aroma is a gentle milled pilsner barely with some lemony to metallic hops. Gristy malts mix with adjuncty must. Maybe ten minutes after pouring and drinking. The beer starts to warm up enough to change the flavor. This needs to be drunk fast to enjoy any of the nice flavors of this beer.

scruffwhor, Oct 05, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +17.9%

12oz can to flare pint, pours a golden straw shade with a foamy white head that fades to lacing, nice slow movement of bubbles

smells of sweet malts, slight corn? or adjuncts of some kind, smells pretty ok

taste is of sweet malts and nice carbonation, grains are nice and linger, light hops hide in the back and round things out, slight adjuncts, reminds me of Milwaukee's Best but cleaner, totally not as harsh and astringent (probably way less adjuncts in comparison) Not a horrible macro by any means, and for the price it's quite a bargain - picked up a 24 pack for $12.99? i think

mouthfeel is of good carbonation, malts, slight bitterness, fairly well rounded and super easy to drink, not bad!

drxandy, Oct 02, 2008
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

40 some years ago this was my Dad's choice of beer. He would buy it in quart bottles, and he might go through 2-3 of those a week. Often an open bottle would be in the frige and @15-16 years old, I took to regularly helping myself to a 4 oz. juice glass, so it was probably my first beer. My mom figured out my scheme which limited me to only a swig!

Back then this was a popular American Lager but somewhere around 1971 they changed the formula and ruined the beer (why would they do that).

Anyway, a generation later the original formula was alledgedly brought back.

This beer poured a pale straw yellow with a fine head with decent lacing but with little head retention.
It smell was of corn, grain with some hops coming through.
Tate was crisp and light with just a slight hop bitterness, all of wich exceeded my expectations.
The price of this beer (in Pa.) was $9.99 for a case of 24 -12 oz. cans makes it IMO a true value.
Wish I could find that value here in Georgia.

jadpsu, Sep 30, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +21.3%

My father was over visiting, and he told me that he had read that the original formula of Schlitz was coming back. He is no beer advocate by any stretch, but most of the oldtimers aren't. He has been a hardcore Bud drinker his whole life.

Anyway, he told me that from drinking age to early adulthood, he was a Schlitz guy, then in the 70's he started to dislike the taste. It was only just recently that he found out that this is when the formula changed. Needless to say, he was stoked that the brew of his youth was coming back.

To surprise him, I picked up a 12 pack. I don't know for sure if it is the 1960's stuff or the modern formula. I fear that it is the new stuff because it is in can's. I don't know, but I think maybe the classic formula only comes in bottles. None the less, Dad made like it was a familiar taste. Maybe it's just been too long. Anyway, here's the review:

A - Unremarkable. Straw colored. Thin head that goes away fast. No lacing. Looks like any ol' macro.

S - Surprising. Pretty simple, but I can smell floral hops! It doesn't smell like a normal macro. No craft brew for sure, but impressive none the less.

T - Wow. Not bad at all. Nicely balanced. Has a decent little puch of floral hops. Something in the finish is just a little offputting...almost soapy.

D - A very drinkable macro. It's crisp, smooth, flavorful, low ABV...and it's cheap to boot, What's not to like?

lawman834, Sep 26, 2008
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ha! the return of the King! this is the new incarnation! Just picked up in Milwaukee. Label doesn't say who's really brewing it. Reminds me of the last version of about 8 or 9 years ago. Has a floral hop character with significant malt. Good for kickin back. It's the Schlitz! I'll drink more.

drpimento, Sep 04, 2008
2.98/5  rDev +2.4%

Tried this one for nostalgia sake. Bright, straw yellow with plenty of carbonation bubbles rushing up to the top. An egg white cap sits on top. Not much of any hops in the aroma but I do smell some corn. This is a fairly thin body. Kinda crisp but I get a fair amount of sweetness left over at the end. It is quite drinkable and probably one of my top choices when it comes to macro swill.

jlh8643, Sep 04, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +34%

Eye: As the head forms, the carbonation bubbles looks like a tornado as they fly to the top. Color is extremely pale yellow, almost looks like someone put 1-2 drops of yellow food coloring in tonic water. The beer's clarity is that of glass. Head formation and retention are good, probably one of the best I've seen from a macro...it starts out nice then falls to ½ a finger and holds there. Lacing is pretty good, sheets, albeit a bit thin, cling to the sides of the glass forming rings inside the sheet formed by the lacing.

Nose: Pretty potent aroma for a macro, the aroma of very lightly malted barley and rice reach my nose before it is even close to the glass. Closer to the glass I find some sweet malt, and as the can suggests, "just the kiss of hops." Hops are real low key, are well rounded and seem to be noble, some spicy notes, hard to tell because they are faint, but are definitely in more abundance than the majority of macros.

Tongue: Light in general flavor. Wow, bitterness is actually perceived in the finish/aftertaste, haven't got that from a macro before, I mean it is actually bitter (even though the general bitterness is low). Malt sweetness up-front which fades to some slight hop flavor, then it dries out and finishes with some bitterness and more dryness. Again one of the better macros in my opinion.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Light on the palate with more delicate, less and cleaner carbonation than I expected. The beer has a dry finish. This beer is easy to drink...there are times when you just want a crappy macro style beer, something without any taste, and this is what I'll reach for. It is by far the best of the macros I've had to date.

becktone, Aug 14, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +28.2%

Old 60's recipe. Pours a golden yellow color with a small amount of foam that disappeared quickly. Smell is slightly sweet and grainy. Taste is much the same. It doesn't have the corn-water flavor of most macros, but actually has some solid malt and nice, floral hoppiness that only pokes it's head out on the finish, and then washes away. A very fine American Macro, and I enjoyed my sixer over the course of a few days..

KeefD, Aug 12, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As beer prices climb along with everything else, I find myself looking at some cheeper brews, some from days of old.
"Go For the Gusto" as I look at the web site, brings back some memories, I was just a kid in the sixties as this beer was in its hay-day. I remember the adds, some you can look at on the Schlitz site.

It pours clear to slight haze of gold. I think the colder the more chance of haze. A nice white head with good classic lace.

The aroma, light corn sweetness.

The taste, again light sweet malted corn. A touch of hop, more like a light tap, crisps things up.

The mouth is left slightly sweet, yet alittle dry. Best part, No metalic aftertaste, even in the can.

Drinkability easy. Especially cold. The can does not hinder, good from the can. Load the cozy!
And at $5.79 a 12, it pays to stock up on alittle beer history.

chilidog, Aug 04, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +35.7%

This beer is a great beer on a 90 degree hot ass day. Our local bar has these 5 for 5 bucket cans (12oz), you can't beat that.
Pours golden yellow, quick head which doesn't last too long. 90% of the time these get slammed right out the can. I'm on a tight beer buget and the brew works. Down here its always 90 degrees and humid, so during my softball games,, it really keeps you going. Its not the best by far but if your gonna try it, keep a open mind because you might be surprised...
Cheers

foles75, Jul 24, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured from a 12 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear pale yellow with a couple of fingers of head that dies away quickly to a thin film, some lacing.

S - Metal and grain, with a touch of sweetness.

T - A simple faint sweetness dominates followed by a dry, grain husk flavor. Some hops pull through late palate with some bitterness and a slight earthy/citrus flavor.

M - More body and lower carbonation than most of this style. Very lucious in the mouth for a macro.

D - This is often compared to PBR, and while overall I think PBR is a better beer, this doesn't disappoint. Looking forward to knocking a few more of these back this evening.

PatrickJR, Jul 24, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +19.6%

Ok, the economy has got me trying some other beers, I may some day buy a cheap beer I don't like to review, but I thought I'd give Schlitz a try as I hadn't had one in many years (since about 79?) and it's reviews were pretty good. Also it's the cheapest in the store. Pours a very clear yellow with a two finger head that quickly disappears to nothing. Smells of malt and a pleasant bit of just 'beer', not much going on though. Taste is where the brew shines, most beers in this category I simply cannot drink, period, even some really expensive beers. It is light, you do get some adjunct and the mouthfeel is crisp but thin. You do get a pleasant malt taste with barely a hint of hops and believe it or not, a pleasant aftertaste. There are no skunked tastes or smells, no metallic tinny tastes or anything off at all.

Like PBR and to me Coors, it's a good solid simple pleasuarable beer to drink.

srrn, Jul 20, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -1%

12 oz can poured into an over-sized pils glass. Tall foamy head that leaves some spotty lacing, but not much. Color is a clear golden yellow.

Smell is a thin biscuity malt. Faint peppery essence. Taste is grainy with just like the can says, "A kiss of the hops".

Thin body, very easy to drink. This is one you can really pound down. Perfect for the 4th of July.

bort11, Jul 04, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +13.4%

12oz can poured into a pint. No freshness date. But who really cares with this stuff. FYI, my grandma's favorite, my she rest in peace.

Not a bad looking beer. Decent lacing after all the foam dies down.

Smells of corn and hops. Nothing much more.

Very light crisp body. Very harsh hops with a nice grain palate to take off the edge. Very alcoholic if you ask me. But still the best tasting macro out there.

It's a tough choice for cheap beers for me. I love Schlitz but Olde English 800 is a good choice as well. Not much else out there that you can get a 30 case for less then 15 bucks, but still good.

ghostmech007, Jul 03, 2008
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)