Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
Ratings: 727 | Reviews: 329
2.78/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Crystal clear, golden straw color, 1 inch white head, spotty lacing

S: Slight adjunct grain, yeast, a little hoppiness

T: Slight sweetness, corn, slight hop bitterness

M: Light, crisp, dry, lively carbonated

O: Decent beer. Pretty good for the style. Not gonna light you up with flavor but a good choice on hot summer day.

2.69/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

The first time I had a beer was when a friend stole two Schlitz from his parent's fridge when we were 14. I drank half a beer and it tasted so bad I never drank another until I was 24. I tried Schlitz again for nostalgia's sake a year ago (age 36) and...yeah, it wasn't as bad as I remember. Mostly just your typical American adjunct lager, though the look and mouth feel were a wee bit better than Bud, Coors, etc.

1.89/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Not very good, but not the worst I ever had.

2.32/5  rDev -20%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

There is nothing special about this beer. Light hops, with a slightly dirty grain taste.

3.53/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

it's still a solid and classic beer in my book. just had it yesterday at The Brown Bottle in Milwaukee.

Schlitz was great drinking brew. This brew had an ABV of 4.6% It pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. The brew went down smooth. I really Like this brew when it was out on the market. It it a shame It is retired. Overall I giving this brew a 4 out 5

This is a Re review of This brew. got the last six pack. 10/23/14

Schlitz brewed JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) with an ABV of 4.6%. This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. The smell is rich with grains and malts. This brew has look and the smell of an American Lager. The taste is smooth but sweet. There is a lot of flavor in this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. There is nothing over powering in this brew. I really like this brew. it has a nice crisp taste to it. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5.

Had this beer a while back, wow it was awful. I heard that the reason that this beer tasted so bad was that they changed the recipe, and that the original recipe was far better. It's a mystery that they did that, as this version of Schlitz was dreadful, hell I don't even want to try the original flavor, since the company brought it back. This one poured yellow with a lot of foam, far too much in my opinion, and tasted like sewage. Good thing that they discontinued this swill.

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

Sampling right now on 6/9/14. Bought a 6-pack last week for $5.89 at the Hy-Vee in Council Bluffs, Iowa...right next door. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a vintage 'Schlitz' glass. BA says it is 'retired' but guess they started making it again as the label says" Jos. Schiltz Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wis."

Pours a golden yellow in color with just a thin white head. A decent amount of lacing is seen when sipped. Good carbonation. The aroma is mostly of grains and malt. The taste is about the same with some corn 'sweetness'. Actually goes down easy and isn't that bad. No bitter or harsh aftertaste for this old time brew. Lighter-bodied with good carbonation. Overall, it isn't that bad.

3.42/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

My dad use to drink Schlitz when I was a kid. So I thought I would give it a try. Well I liked it . Good beer nice taste not watery not to hoppy. Just a good easy drinking beer. Can't get it just anywhere. But will pick some more up when I get a chance.
Great for out at the lake. Or sitting in the back yard with a roaring fire shooting the bull with friends.

3.91/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ok What is it now that its not gusto but taste like gusto but not in a gusto can? anyway....Glad to see they are producing this a little more after its summer disappearance. Beer has a light look, feel, pours with a two finger head into a Schlitz goblet.The sip is clean, good balance like a Macanudo cigar. Nothing at all unpleasant and most certainly a go to beer for all occasions. This isn't a craft but its easily still one of the most balanced drinkable adjuncts I've ever had. Feel the nostalgia to back when the gods at Schlitz ruled the earth.

3.48/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from can into mouth

A- Sorry, but this was drank from a can as it was intended...

S- Smell is of a macro beer, but it seems like there is something else brewing in there under that metallic aroma of the dark aluminum interior.

T- WOW! This stuff is alright! It's refreshing, tasty and it's got hop presence! I had no idea what to expect. I was expecting Genny, or Miller High Life.

M- Mouthfeel is ok. It's definitely better than Coors Light. Slightly thicker, more substance than Labbatt Blue.

O- This beer really surprised me. I brought a 12 pack on a backpacking trip in the Adirondacks. I initially brought it as a novelty as my buddy's 60-year-old dad has been going on these trips with us and when I think about this beer, I think about 1970 and old dudes sweating and hunting and fishing and deer camp, etc. When I showed him the package he yelled: "SCHHHLLLLITTTZZZKIES!!!!" he said he probably hadn't drank that in forty years...since his last hiking adventures with the guys. So, overall, this was a great experience trying this beer. It brought back some memories for the old dog, and introduced a new taste to this young one. Try it if you haven't. It's actually pretty good!

3.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours golden with a thin head that becomes wispy. Minimal trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of bland malt, no real hop presence. Something vegetable-like in it.

The taste is rather bland - hint of grainy sweetness - a mild non-descript hop touch is there in the crisp, brief finish.

It is smooth and easy drinking. It is fizzy, but not more than typical for what it is.

It's a typical, non-descript, bland adjunct lager. it's inoffensive. Average-ish for the style.

2.11/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Typical macro lager. Pale gold in color, completely clear. It has a slightly sweetish smell, with a slight sweet vegetal smell. Mich more malty than i expected, although it is still clearly a macro lager. Light in body, and not very satisfying. This was one of my father's beers, and having it brings back some memories of him.

I was watching Pawn Stars on the history channel one day and I saw someone bring in a Schlitz lamp. I then researched the beer that was once known as the king of beers. I was from that point on very interested in learning about a beer that had so much history even having never tried it. Finally one day I did some more research online only to find out that a local beer store had Schlitz beer but ONLY in 12 pack cans. Having never tried this beer before I was hesitant to try it at first but from the first step I had found my new favorite beer. I was only sorry that I didn't get to try this beer sooner. Sure the recipe changed during the 1970's and that was their downfall, well at least until they brought back the original 1960's formula. I sure hope that people give this beer a chance because it's the best beer I ever had and it deserves a much, long awaited comeback.

2.08/5  rDev -28.3%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date of August 26, 2013. My first encounter with a bottle of Schlitz, and judging by it's kinship beers, I am not expecting much. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours about two fingers of fizzy fluffy white head that we all recognize. Pale straw yellow colored body, with some carbonation visible. Your typical "fizzy yellow water" beer.

S - Smell is basically nonexistent beyond some dusty malt & faint cheap graininess.

T - Taste isn't any more offensive than your typical American adjunct lager like Miller High Life, or Coors. Some carbonation, medium-full bodied, with some simple grain flavor.

M - Feel is sticky, with some grain / barley lingering.

Overall, your typical American adjunct lager, or fizzy yellow water beer. A more full-bodied version of a Pabst Blue Ribbon perhaps, but there is really no distinction between this bottle of Schlitz and most other cheap American lagers. Still, it is inoffensive and drinkable with a sessionable 4.60% abv. Another average swiller, or palate cleanser.

Schlitz ---2/5

3.55/5  rDev +22.4%

From a six pack of Tallboys a friend bought for me when he visited friends in Milwaukee.

Poured from a 16 oz can into a mug, served at fridge temp.

appearance: lemon yellow with a 1 finger white head that fades away to nothingness quickly.

aroma: subdued noble hoppiness

mouthfeel: soft and smooth, good for an adjunct lager.

taste: solid malt heft, balanced perfectly with hops. finishes clean. very tasty.

notes: The poor head retention and lack of lacing detract from an otherwise very nice beer. Taste-wise I think this beer edges out Pabst slightly but Pabst looks better. Of course adjunct lagers were meant to be drunk right from the can so this is not that big a deal. Overall a rewarding beer that I could drink all day long.

2.84/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

This is a standard beer. It is what you think of when you drink an American beer. It is crisp and clean the color is a light golden color and it is smooth going down. This is your quintessential beer and a shot beer, I prefer a nice bourbon with it myself, but whatever floats your boat. I will admit I was not even alive in the 1960s so I have nothing to compare this to, but I did drink it occasionally in college and it was seen as being really low end, like PBR, which has had a resurgence for whatever reason. I would like to see this one become more readily available in my area but I did find this sixer in a small shop. It is much better than other beers in its category and I would rather have it for the price than the aforementioned brew. Overall impression, this is a beer you could sit and easily drink a six pack on a hot summer day and back it up with a few shots of bourbon. A truly American experience!

4.6/5  rDev +58.6%

My second favorite AAL. I can only find it in bottles around my area, I've never seen in cans except for a Meat Loaf concert I went to in Milwaukee. They were serving "Tall Boys." Schlitz and Rock 'n Roll in Milwaukee, what a combination!

Pale yellow, straw color. Mildly carbonated. A very nice head that lasted a while.

Smells malty and hoppy.

Tastes very malty, very dark tasting for it's style. Creamy. Good bitter hops at the end. Mildly carbonated. Crisp, clean finish.

Mildy carbonated, medium weight.

An excellent beer. No surprise that this is "The beer that made Milwaukee famous."

4.07/5  rDev +40.3%

This 60's formula is what it use to be back when I remembered how much i liked Schlitz. They finally re-captured the great brew. This is what I think American brews should taste and feel like, clean balanced and not too carbonated. Not too sharp and not too sweet. Nothing fancy, just a great real American brew that is easy to toss down with friends. Like someone else mentioned it is not in every store but it is worth the search.

3.42/5  rDev +17.9%

Doing yard work on a humid day working up a sweat. Open the fridge and grab an ice cold Tall Boy. No need to pour this baby in a glass (although it does have a deep golden color with a nice sudsy head that leaves plenty of lace). It's all about the can and its history. Damn that's refreshing!

2.6/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a golden color with a big head that fades to some lacing.

S: Aroma of grain, and a bit of malt sweetness. Not a lot here.

T: Taste of mild sweetness with some grain. A coarse bitterness and a fairly clean finish.

F: Fairly medium body, some crispness with a gritty feel.

O: Nice to come across an American Classic beer. Not bad for what it is and can't beat the price.

An aggressive pour generated a three-finger foam crown that lasted longer than I would have expected, then faded away leaving some nice lacing.

Slight aroma of malt and some adjunct; corn, I believe. Smooth mouthfeel, lightly carbonated and virtually no hint of hops. Truly a "Kiss of the Hops", as the 1960s Schlitz advertising states.

A not unpleasant bitterness lingers on the tongue, then fades away quickly.

OK for what it's meant to be, an inexpensive American Light Lager to compete against the macro brews. A nice, cheap lawnmower or session beer for those who aren't particularly discriminating.

Maybe 'retro' has some panache, but I thought it was worth keeping around for when I'm drinkin' cheap...

2.93/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to Eric for his endless generosity in making sure I drink a shitty beer or something off my normal beaten path once in awhile. Poured from a 12oz can into a pub glass. The brew emerges with nearly 3 fingers of pillowy white head that fades fairly quick despite rising bubbles of carbonation trying to support. The color of the solution under the cap is a clear pale. Some fine particulate hangs in suspension keeping this from looking polished.

The smell initially is a bit cheesy with sulfur and almost like mild farts. As it opens up in my glass, it reveals more notes that are carbonic and mineral-filled almost like dirty pennies. Across the back-end is something familiar and enjoyable minorly reminiscent of hops but you gotta get yourself through the initial surge of unpleasantness.

The taste is pretty neutral considering the ups and downs going on in the aromatics. Plain grainy quality like biscuits run across the tongue with a mild fruity alcohol note and more indications of sulfur towards the back that is a little cheesy/footed. The finish is surprisingly crisp and neutral with not much of an aftertaste.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. For an american adjunct lager, it falls almost right down the middle. The nose is a bit weird at first but the taste is tolerable. If not having any options I would possibly drink this again but it isn't something I would seek out.

2.12/5  rDev -26.9%

1331st Review on BA
Can to Plastic Cup
12oz

@Orleans Hotel, Bowling Center, Las Vegas.
$1.25 per can

App- A very nice yellow gold color with a solid two finger fast receding head. A good bit of cling and slide to it.

Smell- WHAT the hell is this? Its grainy, fish oil, metaillic.

Taste- Oh lord. The taste is the same as the nose. Its very poor. Small flavors that linger with some oils, some earthy dirt, a bit of biscuit. Just not well put together.

Mouth- A light body with a high carbonation. A bit oily on the finish.

Drink- For $1.25 I shouldve known but again I did not buy this and was happy to only have 1/2 a can.

4.25/5  rDev +46.6%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with an inch thick head that dissipates quickly and leaves a nice lacing.

Smell - Getting a very nice sweetness upfront, kind of lemony. Corn, grains, and pale malts come through as well.

Taste - Sweet with corn, pale malts, grains, and buttery biscuits.

Mouthfeel - Has a medium body with mild carbonation. The carbonation gives it a creamy texture.

Overall - I really liked this beer. It's worth buying it again.

Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)