Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -5.5%

I have to say that I was a little surprised because I fully expected to hate this beer. But it is a decent malty beer, with a slight sourness but not quite a skunked taste either llike many other American Macros. To be honest, it's actually lacking a hard taste to it, which, from what I was expecting, may be a good thing.

Amalak, Dec 22, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -2.7%

All in all, a decent Am. Adjunct Lager... really cheap, too. $4.39 for a 6er of tall boys.

A- Poured one, looks par for the course, pale as pale can be, nice but quickly fizzing-out head.

S- Ugh. At least it's not too strong, a bit soapy, none too redeeming.

T- Crisp, carbonated.. that's about it. The mouthfeel overpowers the taste. That classic, beer-y taste, although pretty mild compared to some others.

M- Crisp, well-carbonated, goes down easily enough.

D- High. Easy to drink, cheap as all hell. Still going to pick Narragansett over this one, but it's not leaps and bounds apart. A decent adjunct lager.

ShogoKawada, Dec 08, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +32.3%

12 oz can, poured into a shaker pint.

An extremely pale gold body with a fizzy white head that doesn't stick around long, but manages to leave some lacing.

Aromas are neutral, with some light grain, some corn, and a hint of hops(??).

Yup, honest to goodness hops. Decent little punch of bitterness in a light-bodied, grainy, very lightly sweet package. The hop presence builds and lingers for a second after the swallow, along with a bit of chalkiness. The finish is dry with light graininess. Not too bad at all!

Overall impression: I know "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies", but this one is pretty enjoyable. My favorite example of the style to date. Bonus points: I paid $2.89 for a sixer.

PDXHops, Dec 07, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +23.7%

Thought I would try this beer. I needed a canned beer for beer butt chicken. Heard the hype on this being the old recipe and at $7/12 pack, why not? I've been looking for a cheap beer for summer and yard work. I think I may have found it in this beer. While I am still not a great fan (anymore) of yellow fizzy beer, this one is at least drinkable.

A: Fairly darkish straw yellow for a light lager. Pours with a 2" head that lasted thru the first few drinks. Surprisingly, it left a little lacing on the glass.

S: Slight sulfur smell typical of a lager and not unpleasant. No hop aroma at all. Thought it might have some hop aroma since the new ads hype the old recipe.

T: Clean and no objectionable tinny after taste that so many adjunct lagers seem to have. No hop taste but does have some bitterness evident from the hops.

M: Thin as expected for this style but there was at least "some" mouth feel.
Definitely, more so than most examples of this style.

Drinkability: Hard to objectively rate this because I really don't drink this type of beer any more. This one is surprisingly great for this style.

I'd definitely buy this beer in the future for float trips and a "lawnmower" beer.

Duxx, Nov 27, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some hints of corn. Taste is crisp and rereshing, not a whole lot of flavor, finishing with a mild bitterness. Feels light in the mouth. Very drinkable, great for a round of asshole. Overall nothing special here, but for $3.19 a 6 pack, I can't complain.

tone77, Oct 26, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +34%

For an inexpensive beer, Schlitz is very good. Nice foamy head, crisp mouth feel, a citrus-y smell. All around clean, fresh beer. One caution, serve this beer ICE COLD. Great for having wings, going fishing, an icy cold one after mowing the grass... For an old fashioned "Macro Brew", it's pretty good.

BBri, Oct 22, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +28.2%

Pours a clear, medium yellow color with a fluffy white head that recedes pretty slow for an AAL. Leaves a little bit of lace on the glass as well.

Nose leaves a bit to be desired, as a sweet grain and corny adjunct aroma wafts from the glass. There is a faint amount of grassy hops in there however, that give this one some hope. At least it does not smell like carbonated water.

There are some hops in here! I was skeptical of the quote on the can: "Just the kiss of the hops". There is more than just a kiss, it actually strikes a pretty nice balance with the light graininess of the malts. Schlitz has exceeded every expectation I had for it and might be better than even PBR. Sells at a good price at 4.99 for a six-pack of tall boys. I think I have found my new bargain beer!

twiggamortis420, Oct 05, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +14.4%

I was on a quest to find the 60's formula Schlitz but I had no luck in Kentucky. Maybe on my next road trip further west. However, I did find a 12 pack of Schlitz in the corner of the Liquor Barn, so here goes.

It poured lemony yellow into my pint glass with a huge, fizzy white head that left quickly. There was practically no smell at all, maybe a faint whiff of grass or corn. The taste was crisp up front. Lots of carbonation and the good ole kiss of the hops talking. Some malt sweetness in the back with a fairly clean finish. This is slightly thicker than water and is pretty easy drinking, like a lager should be.

This beer is better than BMC and hits the spot while tending the grill or watching NASCAR on a hot summer day. This is a good selection for a cheap beer. If the 60's formula is supposed to be better, then I can't wait to try that.

Ottertude, Sep 24, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -21%

Ugliest. Beer. Ever. Jaundiced,pale yellow with obscenely large bubbles that coalesce into a horrific, webby head that flees the scene quickly as if it's ashamed to exist. It ought to be. This looks more like a child's science experiment than a beer. The aroma is somewhat more appealing, very weak with a sourdough-like character and touches of skunk, lemon, and caramel corn. Flavor is mild yet pleasantly grainy, reminiscent of Wheaties or puffed wheat, vaguely nutty but also acrid and medicinal with a weirdly sour finish. Adequately fizzy and dry, even crisp - but in the end, I think this beer is not even good enough to call refreshing.

soulgrowl, Sep 18, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +33.3%

A: Pours a pale, clear golden-yellow color. The head is tall, foamy, and frothy. Retention is pretty good for a macro lager, and some intermittent lacing is left along the glass.

S: A firm, dry graininess in the nose. Sweetness is low. A considerable herbal hop aroma for the style. Also a faint lemony whiff. There are very mild corn notes, but nothing unexpected or unpleasant.

T: A nice malt profile for a canned American lager. Grainy and quite clean. A kiss of sweetness lurks in the background. Rather hoppy for the style, with a pleasant nip of herbal bitterness. A modest and unimposing corn flavor pops up now and again without making too much noise.

M: Standard medium body. Fairly dry. Carbonation is soft and supple, which is both pleasant and unexpected.

D: As an American macro, this is pretty impressive. Very drinkable. Clean and inoffensive. Certainly one of the best macros I've ever tasted. A dubious honor? Perhaps, but don't knock it till you've tried it.

Clydesdale, Sep 17, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +25.4%

After checking out their great 1960's formula reissue, I returned to this, the 70's recipe which has been the standard recipe for this beer right up to the present and a fond drinking memory from my youth and I have to say this is about as good as an American macro brew can get.

Appearance: very clear light gold color with a tight white head that leaves some lace on the glass.

Smell: Clean with a hint of floral hop, corn and a faint dull ashy aroma.

Taste: Slight sweetness with a hint of bitter hop and astringency and a touch of alcohol. Clean dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Clean, crisp and refreshing with a very light body and moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: fantastic. This is THE six-pack-on-a-summer-day beer.

sbe1, Sep 14, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -1%

Appearance - Pale yellow. Clear and bubbling. Short white head that quickly dissipates. To style, but not impressive in any way.

Smell - Faint adjunct smell. Again to style, but not distinctive.

Taste - Quite light. Perhaps a hint sweeter than some other macros. Hops are barely noticeable. Tends to the slightly malty side of the balance. Very little to distinguish this from others in the category.

Mouthfeel - Light and crisp.

Drinkability - I might pick this ahead of another macro brew simply because it's less pervasive and it has an old-timey beer name. Otherwise, this is a standard macrolager - not offensive, but not offering much.

scaliasux, Sep 08, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -0.3%

A: A very light yellow, with a bit of white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Slightly sweet, but not necessarily in a good way..

T: I cannot taste the "kiss of hops.." Fairly light in flavor not a lot of malt presence..

M: Thin and watery.. carbonation might actually be a little low for the style.

D: You sure could drink a mess load of them. Would I get it again? Probably not, but it seems about average for the style.. Not swill, but definitely not divine..

Beejay, Sep 08, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from a chilled 16 oz. can into a lidded stein and enjoyed outdoors while listening to a baseball game on the radio, which is a great way to enjoy a beer of this style. I'm using a ceramic stein, so I can't see the beer except through the opening at top. It has a this skim of white bubbles. Below that, it is clear and golden. It has an aroma that is a fresher, sweeter version of that smell you find when you come into a room full of empties the night after a party. The Schlitz's smell isn't entirely unpleasant, but it's not entirely enticing either. The taste is of mediocre malty sweetness and probably some corn graininess. No hops. It has bit of a fuller body than many other similar beers and lots of carbonation. I'm drinking this beer because I had one in the fridge, and it seemed like a good beer to enjoy outside today. Even if I had any more, I wouldn't crack a second one open right away. I look for something tastier when I'm going to have a few rounds.

ToasterChef, Sep 07, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +34%

Poured into standard pint glass.

Appearance: Bright yellow typical pale lager color, fizzy, inch white head that disappeared rather quickly.

Smell: I'm getting some grains, nothing really going on in the nose.

Taste: Kind of bland, some grains present with a bit of a small hoppy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and light

Drinkability: Very drinkable, could drink many of these in one session. Overall, it isn't a bad beer, but I think for the style I'd rather have a Schaefer or a PBR. Still didn't hurt trying an American classic. I'll be looking for the Schlitz 1960's formula.

JoKo, Aug 31, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +27.1%

Finally broke down and bought a sixer of this after readint 'just the kiss of the hops' on the can, I figured it had to be good right?

This beer surprised me, I expected tubwater flavor but this isn't too bad. No smell worth mentioning, weak even for a lager. Tastes a little on the sweet side whit of maybe some malt and corn flavor. Nothing too strong, maybe it's because I am having this one very cold. Less watery then expected, nice carbonation and pretty refreshing, this might be seen in my fridge again. Pretty good for the price, but I have yet to be kissed by hops while drinking this.

yesferro, Aug 29, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured into a pint glass (maybe too classy for some) this brew has a corn yellow color with a super foamy white head that dissipated quickly with no lacing to speak of. This brew actually has a slight malt aroma with some floral hops as well. The taste is actually quite balanced. Word on the street is that Schlitz went back to the OG (original) recipe that "made Milwaukee famous" and being a Milwaukee boy, I think it was a smart decision. For the price of a sixer, this gives mass production beer a true run. Has a little more carbonation that I need, but a very drinkable beer for mass consumption.

WJVII, Aug 22, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the 40 fl. oz. "brown bagger" marked AUG2409-DO8040643. Sampled on August 14, 2009. The pour is straw yellow with an overzealous puffy white head the bubbles downward in about two minutes to just about nothing. Corn and grain permeate the aroma with a little hoppiness in the background. The mouthfeel is lighter and thin. The taste is actually a bit of malts, dried hops, and corn but not offensive. Better than anticipated but I have not had it from a bottle in eons. Usually I only find it in the can and it tastes kind of flat that way. But for a cheapy American classic it is not horrible.

puboflyons, Aug 15, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +30.6%

A - Generic golden been color, like Bud, Coors, Miller, etc. A smallish head with relatively weak retention; quickly becomes a layer of surface bubbles, then a ring of small bubbles. No lacing to speak of.

S - Not much smell at all. The slight presence of barley and corn was all that I got.

T - Very surprising taste, and in a good way. The taste of adjunct cereal grains are there (kind of like PBR, which I don't mind), along with the watery aluminum taste common to so many macro brews. But there is also a formidable malty flavor up front, like brown sugar or singed caramel. Not bad, not bad at all.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit watery, but not terrible.

D - The price and the smoothness of this beer mean that I could drink more than a few of these.

Another surprisingly drinkable adjunct lager from Pabst. It's nice to see that a decent six-pack is still obtainable for a reasonable price in this country. I'll pick this one up again the next time I'm a little strapped for cash, or just looking for a cheaper alternative with some actual flavor to it.

hossua34, Aug 09, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +43.6%

Snagged the first case off of the first delivery to BevMo Cypress. Was looking for some Black Butte XXI when I found this to knock off my wants list. $7.99 for a dozen twelve ounce cans.

I like the packaging and can design, it is slightly retro, but not obvious. It pours a nice golden color, satisfyingly golden instead of wimpily straw. The head is white, moderately generous, and slightly fizzy. It is a good looking beer, but suffers from lack of head retention and subsequent lacing.

The aromatics at play, if I may say so, actually display hops. They are mildly bitter and only slightly citrusy, but I have to say one of the best smelling adjunct lagers I have had. There is perhaps a hint of corny grain, but I pick up more good citrus than bad corn. Quite impressive for the style.

Initial taste is mild with a slightly fruity, citrus and apple combined with a pleasant amount of bittering hops. It is light with a crisp bite that is really quite pleasant, it isn't trying to eliminate all the bitterness here so there is actually some nice balance. The only catch is on the midpalate, if I keep it in my mouth it quickly goes downhill and becomes grainy, metallic, and slightly alcoholic on the finish. So just take a swig and swallow and enjoy. This is simple beer I don't need to think about, just drink it like I would anything else and be refreshed.

The beer is medium bodied with medium carbonation. I am appreciative that this thing is not over carbed, as many macro lagers tend to be. Really adds to the drinkability, which is pretty damn high. I have had craft pilseners that I enjoyed less that cost twice as much.

This beer exceeded all of my expectations and is probably my new go-to cheap beer. I am now very interested in trying the 60's Gusto version.

This review is based on the style of American Adjunct Lager.

vacax, Jul 15, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -27.8%

Pours from the can a very pael yellow color with a but of white fizzy head. Smell is pretty. Boring just nothing much in the smell but skunk. Taste is pallatable, but thats about as nice as I can be, it's very watery. I guess it would be ok for a BBQ or if the only other option was water

1fastz28, Jul 15, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -6.2%

Schlitz, the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

I went to my local beverage store in hopes of finding Schlitz Gusto, the recently-reissued classic 1960s Schlitz brew. The store doesn't yet carry Schlitz Gusto, so I picked up a 12-pack of the other Schlitz, the cheap Schlitz, the Schlitz that has a less-than-stellar reputation among beer lovers. Here goes:

Appearance: Holy jeez, Batman...it looks like beer!

Smell: Very faint smell of inexpensive beer, along with a definite sweet/sour apple aroma. Unusual.

Taste: Cheap beer taste, with a touch of tartness -- kind of like apple cider. I couldn't detect very much hops flavor; the "kiss of the hops" advertised on the can is just a quick peck on the cheek, not a sexy French kiss.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is flat. I recommend more carbonation.

Drinkability: Average drinkability.

Overall: Overall, I was sort of disappointed. Next time I want a cheap simple beer, I'll go for Miller High Life or Hamm's. Still hoping to check out Schlitz Gusto, though. Wish me luck.

Vito, Jul 11, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +40.2%

A - drank out of the can but I'm sure it looked close to PBR

S - Very little hops, kind of a grainy/corn smell

T - Loved the taste. Again it really reminds me of PBR which I love. Smooth refreshing lager taste that you won't find with BMC

M - smooth, crisp, good amount of carbonation...plain and simply refreshing.

D - highly drinkable. I can put away many of these. Great summertime beer.

I have to say, at 7.74 a 12 pack, I think this will become my new fridge stocker and Wal Mart sells it :)

beerera4, Jul 05, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +9.3%

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler. Best by Aug 31 '09 Date.

A - Highly effervescent yellow straw clear color with a very short-lived loose white head. Ring but no lacing.

S - Smells like a skunk's ass. Beyond that there is corn, rice, and straw aromas. No real hops or malt aromas on the nose.

T - Bland flavor of corn, rice, and light malts with a hint of Heineken skunkiness. (No, it's not light struck).

M - Over-carbonated, sharp bite to this light bodied beer.

D - Yes, the Schlitz is cheap and does the job. I put 3 back at a Brewers' Game before going in and it does just fine from the bottle. For a light beer its ok. For a beer, its not so good.

BeerFMAndy, Jun 22, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +21.3%

Served cold and drank out of the can. "Just a kiss of hops." Everybody has to have a goto beer, the beer you can still enjoy the night before payday. Full of flavor and you can taste the hops and sweetness. For the price, can't beat it for the summertime. Easy enough to drink that its go for a session or enjoying with BBQ on the grill. Or perfect for watching the game.

mtnbikerpa, Jun 12, 2009
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)