Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +41.9%

A- Pale yellow body with a nice sized white head.

S- Grainy sweet corn malty biscuits.

T- Very tasty Adjunct Lager all around, great sweet malts with a touch of bitter hops.

M- Clean with a nice burst of refreshing carbonation.

D- This redeems the whole category of American Adjunct Lagers, you can session this drinking can after can watching the game and never get bored of the flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +40.3%

Consumed from a can on 2/27/2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Poured from can into pilsener glass.

Appearance: Pale, amber color. The head lasts only about a minute...or two if you're lucky. The color, though itself is pretty regal.

Smell: I am not getting to much from the smell. A little bit of a "hoppy", "soapy", "corny" taste.

Taste: Wow Wow We Wa...yeah. Hey, it's way more than what I thought. A blatant; "F YOU!" to the people who aren't tasting the hops. It's right there, really? What I am not tasting is a shitty, false, malty flavor.

Mouthfeel: very light, with a bubbly carbonation.

Drinkabiliity: I can see why this was so popular "back in the day." Also, I am so glad it's offered today. Sure, I am ONLY judging this off of what it is, not compared to other styles or beers.

Get it, try it, love it.

3.38/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice clear, golden color. The head did not stick around long, but there was some nice lacing.

Crisp and refreshing with some bitterness.
Good carbonation and goes down easy.

A real nioe beer at a good price.

If you are feeling nostalgic, and want something cheap, pick up some Schlitz!

3.31/5  rDev +9.2%

Bought a case of Shlitz a few weeks back. Have actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

A: A very clear light golden color with good carbonation and finger width white head that slowly fades.

S: "Just the kiss of the Hops". Well, not really. More like sweet smelling corn syrup, but it's pretty non-offensive. Mostly clean.

T: Pretty bland by all standards. No hops. Again, some sweet syrup like quality that is likely from extract or corn starch or some other adjunct. It's pretty average at best.

M: Really a light, somewhat clean tasting lager. Carbonation is good.

D: A very drinkable beer. Very light and average tasting. Can see why the masses drank this in loads back in the day. Not a beer I can really turn to because it is so bland, but I find it rather non-offensive and not bad as a session beer if you're really not after taste. I like a beer like this every now & again. It also doesn't hurt the wallet at $10.99 per case.

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

A classic beer that continues to go strong in the cheap beer category! From random notes straight from the can: Clear yellow pour with a fizzy white head. Looks like a beer. Aroma is your standard beer smel of some grassy hops, dried corn, stale malts, and some of the can it was in. Flavor isn't that bad. Pretty balanced with a slight corn flavor mixed with some grass and a light touch of malts. Mostly bitter and grassy hops. Watery and drinkable.

3.81/5  rDev +25.7%

a classic brew not to be discounted because of its cheap nature. embrace it instead, for sure

A - average pale straw color in the beer, decent head, but when it comes to the can, I am a true sucker for the classic American lager art look. off white and red coloring to make it look "old", and the ever present "the beer that made Milwaukee famous" on the side. how can you go wrong?

S - grain and metallic tones, nothing special here, the true art lies within

T - HUGE surge of grain and malt flavor, rather indescribable and unique, and the promise of "a kiss of hops" delivers, not too much, but present enough to make you wonder if most other pale lagers couldn't benefit with just a little more bite and complexity

M - smooth and rich, a little bigger bodied than most cheap lagers

D - won't have any trouble killing off the 12 pack I bought. I give it a week, tops. just like band Uriah Heep, true underground classics never die

EDIT - goes very well with some Cooper Sharp cheese, which is also from Wisconsin. what a state

2.86/5  rDev -5.6%

TALL BOY!!! I saw a six of tall boys standing amongst 12-packs of micro specialty brews and I said...OH Yeah! I gotta have that! Take me back to the 60s BABY....YEAH! Alright I must confess...was born in the 70s....but hey this is not a bad beer. The color was clear golded with a white head. There was no smell other than...SCHILTZ!!!! Taste...c'mon its a standard US macro pilsner/lager type. SESSION....SESSION...You bet your ass. Can drink the F' out of this. A great Saturday or Sunday would be a six of Schiltz and a side of Brats! Stay thirsty my friends!

3.53/5  rDev +16.5%

Light straw, though slightly darker than other macro beers. Slight sweet malt aroma and light adjunct aroma. So slight though. An ever whisp of hops.

Tastes fizzy with well balanced malt and corn adjunct. Corn sweetness works well with this brew as it is neither over sweet or or cloying but adds enough body to appropriately work in this style.

Grain sweetness evolves as brew warms. Lace clings nicely to side of glass, finishes smooth and not too filling.

This is a classic american macro lager. A true throwback. When we are stuck with the common and well known tastes of Budweiser and Miller lite, it's good to have a different take on the American Maco Lager, a much maligned but still wonderful beer.

2.76/5  rDev -8.9%

A - To be honest i did not pour this one out of the can.

s - Very limited hops and maybe some stale hops. Very faint though.

t - Malty. really if i say something tastes like beer, this would be what i am describing

m - thin and doesnt last long. no aftertaste at all.

o - Overall for an american adjunct, Ill take one anytime if its between this and Bud or corona etc

I am no hipster but this is not all that bad.

2.38/5  rDev -21.5%

Schlitz is definitely the last beer a real beer conoisseur would be caught drinking, but let's all face it, we all had a few of these in our late teens/early 20s when we were young and broke. This is the perfect frat party beer, meant for chugging, but honestly has no worth as a legitimate drinking beer. This is also what you would expect a hobo to be drinking as it is one of the cheapest beers ever.

2.33/5  rDev -23.1%

Schlitz beer is hard to come by where I live in California. However, I've always preferred it to other beers in the same style.

Appearance: Very Light. Great thick and creamy head that retains well. Very impressive for this category of beer

Smell: Not much. Slight notes of hope just because the lack of character elsewhere.

Taste: Sharp. The hops definitely dominate and finish well. One of the best beer in the American lager category. I'll take one of these over a Budweiser or Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Mouthfeel: Light, but less watery than some beers. The beer tends to go flat quick. This is a beer for drinking quick.

Drinkability. It's nothing remarkable. It's Good to a drink a couple of these in the evening.

3.75/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice heavy foam with sticky lacing. Not really that carbonated. Pretty pale golden yellow.

Smell: Mineral water. A very neutral smell. Kind of a nice rustic smell though that I like.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Nice hops taste. That's pretty much it. Nothing incredible, but I do enjoy this. Very refreshing. Mouthfeel is one of the better ones in this style. Many feel pretty watery. This did at first, but finishes better than most.

Drinkability: A very solid American lager.

Overall: Underrated. I wish I could find this more often.

3.16/5  rDev +4.3%

can into pilsener glass.

A: Gold with a fluffy white head that dissipates to a layer of lace fairly quickly.

S: Something metallic (can?), pale malt, some sweetness (corn?), vaguely citric note (hops?), kinda grassy and grainy. Maybe it's too warm...

T/M: sweet up front, cornbread-like flavor in the middle, and a slight bitter/tart flavor (citrus) at the end. Nicely balanced, actually. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp, with a dry finish. Carbonation is present, but not overdone.

D: It's a pale lager and it's somewhat balanced. Of course it's a good session beer.

3.3/5  rDev +8.9%

This beer basically is a beer we can drink to play some high class beer pong. For me thats the best way to put it. The smell and appearance of this beer is very basic it reminds me of a good old classic miller beer with a bitter kick. The taste of this beer is somewhat bitter with a good after taste. The mouth feel is very simple with no major kick. The drinkability of this beer for me is very drinkable , I do enjoy the taste but only to a certain extent.

3.67/5  rDev +21.1%

This is my favorite "cheap" beer. It's time to give it a review. Here it goes.

Appearance: Big foamy white head. Lots of carbonation. Light golden color. Light lacing as the head goes down.

Smell: Schlitz has a faint smell similar to ginger ale from the hops. This is a pleasant surprise. It doesn't jump out at you. You have to take a deep whiff, but it's there. No off smells at all.

Taste: A little watery compared to a higher quality beer. I can taste a mild adjunct flavor. I also get a mild malted barley flavor. Then I taste a light fruity hops flavor on the back end. This is a nice little beer. This is no top end craft beer. But for a macro... this is as good as it gets. Much better than the big 3 or PBR. In Arizona I buy this for $4.29 a six pack. Around here they sell 12 packs of the big 3 for $11.99 bottled. This is my favorite value beer that I can buy at the supermarket. The taste is much better than other low end beers. You can actually taste hops and malted barley... think about it!

Mouthfeel: Foamy. Strong carbonation... but the light hops make it go down easy. Similar mouthfeel to a Coors... but the light hops somehow makes it go down easier.

Drinkability: Goes down easy. A crisp refreshing macro with some flavor.

3.56/5  rDev +17.5%

A twelve-ounce can poured into a pilsner glass creates a decent head and lacing. The beer itself is slightly darker than the average American lager and smells of sweet malts with a hint of floral hops. Sweetness is also prevalent in the taste, where it is accompanied by something a bit tart and leafy. Schlitz has a much richer feel than many American adjuncts, but maintains the smoothness and great drinkability that the style is known for having.

This is has more bitter than the Schlitz OML (blue bull) which is a bad thing for me. It's not as smooth and velvety as blue bull either. Reminds me of a cheaper version of Old Milwakee, which isn't a good thing. I'll probably finish this 6 pack but won't buy it again. If you have a choice, def go with the Schlitz OML Blue Bull

This one poured the darkest of the Adjuncts I had at a little backyard Adjunct beer tasting thing with some friends.
It was the standard yellowish, but a little darker color. It had a huge foamy head which stuck around, and a lot of lacing.

There wasn't much of a smell, maybe a faint bit of wheat but not much.

The taste was worse than I had expected, based on the reviews here. It just didn't balance well.
It was a mix of corns, wheats, and alcohol.

It had a very dry finish.

Overall, I think there are better discount adjuncts (PBR, Genessee Cream Ale) and this beer
was just average, to me.

2.32/5  rDev -23.4%

The beer that made Milwaukee Famous...true story.

Just the kiss of the hops - trademark

Poured from a can into a Bruery tulip. Beer is yellow and clear with moderate carbonation and a huge head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Looks fine.

Come on now, its in an effing tulip for christ's sake and there is close to no aroma. WEAK!

Beer is medium bodied and kind of cereal in the mouth. There is a harsh aftertaste of boiled vegetables. No carb in mouth, no sweetness up front, no intentional bitterness in the back. If this is what Milwaukee is famous for I don't want to go there.

3.65/5  rDev +20.5%

Review from my first time drinking this from a glass via can. I prefer drinking this straight from the can when possible. At the moment, this is my favorite macro from a can.

Pouring it into a glass ruined the mystique for me as I imagined this being a darker color - similar to or darker than Yuengliing, I suppose. I found, however, the stereotypical "fizzy, yellow" adjunct look. The head fizzed and snapped and died pathetically.

I can't say the smell is either bad or good (for the style). It's somewhere in the middle. Swear I'm getting some metallic qualities and definitely some used corn oil aroma. Some kind of plant smell is present as well, though I can't tell if it's the faintest of grassy hops or more of a grain stalk.

The kiss of the hops, huh? There's something like that - more like the hot breath of the hops. Something's there though that sets it apart, in a good way, from most of its fat cat cousins. The taste as a whole is fairly palatable - not too cooked corny, not too watery.

While the flavor is decent, the carbonation borders on burning - at least from the glass (not so much from the can). Scrubs the tongue and finishes without a trace. Drink this from the can, though, and it's quite nice.

3.34/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a transparent, pale golden color with a great white foaming head of about an inch before it quickly dissipates into a ring of sunds around the glass with some spotty patches of bubbles in the middle of the liquid.

wet grassy notes, grainy malts, maybe just a momentary whiff of hops in the nose. Not much to it, and this is not a beer I get pleasure in smelling.

The taste is pretty solid for an adjunct lager, sweet , grainy, with at least some malt foundation. I can actually taste the hops in this beer, and that alone is worth the 3.5. Seems like a sweeter, less carbonated Blue Ribbon.

Mouthfeel's crispness is OK, very light and smooth, but somewhat low in carbonation, almost to the point where i'd prefer a little more

This is very drinkable beer, I've been enjoying these all night, and the 12 packs are fairly cheap. Worth the money, and overall not a bad beer.

3.46/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A lot can change in 50 years. During the 1950s, Schlitz was the #1 selling beer in America, but recipe changes in the 1970s brought down the former giant. It's now being brought back to life via Schlitz Gusto, but right here I have a regular version. First time I've seen it in SoCal, so I picked up a 12-pack for $7.99. On to the beer:

Into a Heineken tulip pint, the beer shown is a pale yellow color with some bubbles . The foam is "cheap", being very airy but thick, retains well above. A little lacing is left around the glass. Some cheap adjuncts in the aroma like corn, a little hay, quite clean and not totally offensive, just light.

It's okay when cold; it tastes like a decent adjunct lager. As the beer warms, a little pale malt sweetness is pciked up, and that's where we get "just the kiss of the hops". It's also where the beer seperates itself from the crowd. Also, it's clean, and doesn't have any serious faults such as sickly sweet corn flavors. A little grainy in the aftertaste, neutral. It's light in the mouth with a tight crispness.

In order to do this review, I needed TWO 12 oucne cans because I drank the first one so quickly. This is an obvious step ahead of most of the others beer in its class, and with that in mind, would make a great hot day/thirst quencher beer.

Fun fact: a $7.99 pricetag today comes out around $1.15 in 1957 dollars. I can't find the average price of beer during the 50s, but beer under 10 cents per 12 ounces looks like a fantasy. I'll stay in the modern age with the wealth of beer to choose from and the significently higher Purchasing Power (even adjusting for inflation), thankyouverymuch.

3.62/5  rDev +19.5%

I had this one while visiting my dad in Missouri. I had the 1960's Formula back in Michigan and liked it alot, so I was hesitant to give this one a try. I had always heard that it was disgusting and to never try it, but I did anyway. What a surprise!

Poured from the can into a beer mug. Pours a typical pale straw color, kinda like the color of urine after drinking water all day... had a very good head however that stayed for a while.

Smells of a mixture of rice with a small amount of corn adjuncts. You get a smell of lager yeasts and pale malts, and just a very faint, "Kiss of the hops".

Taste was of the pale malts and lager yeasts, with the adjuncts coming in behind that... but not too strong. Has a very smooth flavor in an almost tasteless way, and the adjuncts don't assault the palate like with some other macrobrews.

Overall a very decent beer, I would recommend it.

3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

Schlitz pours a clear gold with a foamy head that disappears quickly. Graininess and cooked corn are dominant in the aroma but there is some faint wort like maltiness. There is more sweet grain in the flavor, with some actual bitterness. Maybe there is even some herbal hop flavor, but that may be a stretch. Overall not bad for the style and the price.

2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

Lots of carbonation and clarity. Standard looking macro stuff. Aroma was that of industrial activity. Metal hydraulic fluid and corn.

Taste, a neat fruity retro yearst feel. Gentle, easy going. A palate washer. Feels authentic, like what you'd drink if you were in Cudahy right now. As you get the feel of it more, there's not a ton of hop character, just lots of carbonation. Even though the price went up with their new-retro (oh no, a misnomer like black ipa!) marketing campaign, its still cheaper than the other adjuncts out there.

Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)