Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 718 | Reviews: 326
3.65/5  rDev +25.9%

After checking out their great 1960's formula reissue, I returned to this, the 70's recipe which has been the standard recipe for this beer right up to the present and a fond drinking memory from my youth and I have to say this is about as good as an American macro brew can get.

Appearance: very clear light gold color with a tight white head that leaves some lace on the glass.

Smell: Clean with a hint of floral hop, corn and a faint dull ashy aroma.

Taste: Slight sweetness with a hint of bitter hop and astringency and a touch of alcohol. Clean dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Clean, crisp and refreshing with a very light body and moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: fantastic. This is THE six-pack-on-a-summer-day beer.

2.85/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance - Pale yellow. Clear and bubbling. Short white head that quickly dissipates. To style, but not impressive in any way.

Smell - Faint adjunct smell. Again to style, but not distinctive.

Taste - Quite light. Perhaps a hint sweeter than some other macros. Hops are barely noticeable. Tends to the slightly malty side of the balance. Very little to distinguish this from others in the category.

Mouthfeel - Light and crisp.

Drinkability - I might pick this ahead of another macro brew simply because it's less pervasive and it has an old-timey beer name. Otherwise, this is a standard macrolager - not offensive, but not offering much.

2.88/5  rDev -0.7%

A: A very light yellow, with a bit of white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Slightly sweet, but not necessarily in a good way..

T: I cannot taste the "kiss of hops.." Fairly light in flavor not a lot of malt presence..

M: Thin and watery.. carbonation might actually be a little low for the style.

D: You sure could drink a mess load of them. Would I get it again? Probably not, but it seems about average for the style.. Not swill, but definitely not divine..

2.43/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured from a chilled 16 oz. can into a lidded stein and enjoyed outdoors while listening to a baseball game on the radio, which is a great way to enjoy a beer of this style. I'm using a ceramic stein, so I can't see the beer except through the opening at top. It has a this skim of white bubbles. Below that, it is clear and golden. It has an aroma that is a fresher, sweeter version of that smell you find when you come into a room full of empties the night after a party. The Schlitz's smell isn't entirely unpleasant, but it's not entirely enticing either. The taste is of mediocre malty sweetness and probably some corn graininess. No hops. It has bit of a fuller body than many other similar beers and lots of carbonation. I'm drinking this beer because I had one in the fridge, and it seemed like a good beer to enjoy outside today. Even if I had any more, I wouldn't crack a second one open right away. I look for something tastier when I'm going to have a few rounds.

3.86/5  rDev +33.1%

Poured into standard pint glass.

Appearance: Bright yellow typical pale lager color, fizzy, inch white head that disappeared rather quickly.

Smell: I'm getting some grains, nothing really going on in the nose.

Taste: Kind of bland, some grains present with a bit of a small hoppy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and light

Drinkability: Very drinkable, could drink many of these in one session. Overall, it isn't a bad beer, but I think for the style I'd rather have a Schaefer or a PBR. Still didn't hurt trying an American classic. I'll be looking for the Schlitz 1960's formula.

3.66/5  rDev +26.2%

Finally broke down and bought a sixer of this after readint 'just the kiss of the hops' on the can, I figured it had to be good right?

This beer surprised me, I expected tubwater flavor but this isn't too bad. No smell worth mentioning, weak even for a lager. Tastes a little on the sweet side whit of maybe some malt and corn flavor. Nothing too strong, maybe it's because I am having this one very cold. Less watery then expected, nice carbonation and pretty refreshing, this might be seen in my fridge again. Pretty good for the price, but I have yet to be kissed by hops while drinking this.

3.43/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured into a pint glass (maybe too classy for some) this brew has a corn yellow color with a super foamy white head that dissipated quickly with no lacing to speak of. This brew actually has a slight malt aroma with some floral hops as well. The taste is actually quite balanced. Word on the street is that Schlitz went back to the OG (original) recipe that "made Milwaukee famous" and being a Milwaukee boy, I think it was a smart decision. For the price of a sixer, this gives mass production beer a true run. Has a little more carbonation that I need, but a very drinkable beer for mass consumption.

3.02/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the 40 fl. oz. "brown bagger" marked AUG2409-DO8040643. Sampled on August 14, 2009. The pour is straw yellow with an overzealous puffy white head the bubbles downward in about two minutes to just about nothing. Corn and grain permeate the aroma with a little hoppiness in the background. The mouthfeel is lighter and thin. The taste is actually a bit of malts, dried hops, and corn but not offensive. Better than anticipated but I have not had it from a bottle in eons. Usually I only find it in the can and it tastes kind of flat that way. But for a cheapy American classic it is not horrible.

3.75/5  rDev +29.3%

A - Generic golden been color, like Bud, Coors, Miller, etc. A smallish head with relatively weak retention; quickly becomes a layer of surface bubbles, then a ring of small bubbles. No lacing to speak of.

S - Not much smell at all. The slight presence of barley and corn was all that I got.

T - Very surprising taste, and in a good way. The taste of adjunct cereal grains are there (kind of like PBR, which I don't mind), along with the watery aluminum taste common to so many macro brews. But there is also a formidable malty flavor up front, like brown sugar or singed caramel. Not bad, not bad at all.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit watery, but not terrible.

D - The price and the smoothness of this beer mean that I could drink more than a few of these.

Another surprisingly drinkable adjunct lager from Pabst. It's nice to see that a decent six-pack is still obtainable for a reasonable price in this country. I'll pick this one up again the next time I'm a little strapped for cash, or just looking for a cheaper alternative with some actual flavor to it.

4.19/5  rDev +44.5%

Snagged the first case off of the first delivery to BevMo Cypress. Was looking for some Black Butte XXI when I found this to knock off my wants list. $7.99 for a dozen twelve ounce cans.

I like the packaging and can design, it is slightly retro, but not obvious. It pours a nice golden color, satisfyingly golden instead of wimpily straw. The head is white, moderately generous, and slightly fizzy. It is a good looking beer, but suffers from lack of head retention and subsequent lacing.

The aromatics at play, if I may say so, actually display hops. They are mildly bitter and only slightly citrusy, but I have to say one of the best smelling adjunct lagers I have had. There is perhaps a hint of corny grain, but I pick up more good citrus than bad corn. Quite impressive for the style.

Initial taste is mild with a slightly fruity, citrus and apple combined with a pleasant amount of bittering hops. It is light with a crisp bite that is really quite pleasant, it isn't trying to eliminate all the bitterness here so there is actually some nice balance. The only catch is on the midpalate, if I keep it in my mouth it quickly goes downhill and becomes grainy, metallic, and slightly alcoholic on the finish. So just take a swig and swallow and enjoy. This is simple beer I don't need to think about, just drink it like I would anything else and be refreshed.

The beer is medium bodied with medium carbonation. I am appreciative that this thing is not over carbed, as many macro lagers tend to be. Really adds to the drinkability, which is pretty damn high. I have had craft pilseners that I enjoyed less that cost twice as much.

This beer exceeded all of my expectations and is probably my new go-to cheap beer. I am now very interested in trying the 60's Gusto version.

This review is based on the style of American Adjunct Lager.

2.05/5  rDev -29.3%

Pours from the can a very pael yellow color with a but of white fizzy head. Smell is pretty. Boring just nothing much in the smell but skunk. Taste is pallatable, but thats about as nice as I can be, it's very watery. I guess it would be ok for a BBQ or if the only other option was water

2.75/5  rDev -5.2%

Schlitz, the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

I went to my local beverage store in hopes of finding Schlitz Gusto, the recently-reissued classic 1960s Schlitz brew. The store doesn't yet carry Schlitz Gusto, so I picked up a 12-pack of the other Schlitz, the cheap Schlitz, the Schlitz that has a less-than-stellar reputation among beer lovers. Here goes:

Appearance: Holy jeez, Batman...it looks like beer!

Smell: Very faint smell of inexpensive beer, along with a definite sweet/sour apple aroma. Unusual.

Taste: Cheap beer taste, with a touch of tartness -- kind of like apple cider. I couldn't detect very much hops flavor; the "kiss of the hops" advertised on the can is just a quick peck on the cheek, not a sexy French kiss.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is flat. I recommend more carbonation.

Drinkability: Average drinkability.

Overall: Overall, I was sort of disappointed. Next time I want a cheap simple beer, I'll go for Miller High Life or Hamm's. Still hoping to check out Schlitz Gusto, though. Wish me luck.

4.05/5  rDev +39.7%

A - drank out of the can but I'm sure it looked close to PBR

S - Very little hops, kind of a grainy/corn smell

T - Loved the taste. Again it really reminds me of PBR which I love. Smooth refreshing lager taste that you won't find with BMC

M - smooth, crisp, good amount of carbonation...plain and simply refreshing.

D - highly drinkable. I can put away many of these. Great summertime beer.

I have to say, at 7.74 a 12 pack, I think this will become my new fridge stocker and Wal Mart sells it :)

3.15/5  rDev +8.6%

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler. Best by Aug 31 '09 Date.

A - Highly effervescent yellow straw clear color with a very short-lived loose white head. Ring but no lacing.

S - Smells like a skunk's ass. Beyond that there is corn, rice, and straw aromas. No real hops or malt aromas on the nose.

T - Bland flavor of corn, rice, and light malts with a hint of Heineken skunkiness. (No, it's not light struck).

M - Over-carbonated, sharp bite to this light bodied beer.

D - Yes, the Schlitz is cheap and does the job. I put 3 back at a Brewers' Game before going in and it does just fine from the bottle. For a light beer its ok. For a beer, its not so good.

3.52/5  rDev +21.4%

Served cold and drank out of the can. "Just a kiss of hops." Everybody has to have a goto beer, the beer you can still enjoy the night before payday. Full of flavor and you can taste the hops and sweetness. For the price, can't beat it for the summertime. Easy enough to drink that its go for a session or enjoying with BBQ on the grill. Or perfect for watching the game.

3.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Medium-yellow color, not much fizz, and just a little fit of quickly-fading white foam. Basically, looks like beer.

A little bit of smell out of the bottle, not much out of the glass, slight hoppiness.

Taste is slightly maltier than your average macro lager. A little bit of wet-grass aftertaste that I'm not terribly fond of. Nothing particularly interesting, but I think it's a little more robust than some of its Miller-Bud-Coors competitors. Still goes down like water. Here in Wisconsin, there's a reason they call it Getting Schlitzed.

If you find it in your local barbecue's cheap beer cooler, enjoy. But unless you're looking for cheap beer, you can probably do better.

2.68/5  rDev -7.6%

They just "re-introduced" this and are marketing the hell out of it.

Typical pale yellow lager.

Taste is corny, grainy, minimal flavor if any.

Finishs okay, but has some residual corn like taste that leaves me wanting something else ASAP.

The resurgence of this is lost on me. Plus marketing it as a premium beer is a total scam. Don't buy into the hype.

3.06/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

"Just a kiss of the hops"

Clear light yellow body with a small white head, good retention, and lacing. Muted, slightly skunky aroma. Very weak grainy malt flavor. Notes of what seems like corn. Honey, and a mild hop spice. Watery and very thin feel. Honestly...not that bad. For a macro beer that sells for $3.99/6pk, this is a nice value pickup.

3.35/5  rDev +15.5%

Suprise,Suprise,Suprise as Gomer Pyle would say!!!
Not to bad, and very drinkable. Slight hoppy bitterness, corny and grainy. I think it's much better than Bud.. Give it a try you'll be Suprised as well. For the price it's a good drinker. I would recommend it to anyone who likes Bud or Miller High Life..

3.45/5  rDev +19%

A - Clear straw like color. mild lacing

S - corny grain. It brings memories of being like 2 or 3 and smelling/tasting my grandpa's beer

T - grainy with a little hops. If you are sitting there thinking, wow I want an old fashion american beer without anything fancy, this is the beer you are thinking of. whether you know it or not

M - Very light, little bubbly, mild/clean finish

D - For being a regular old American lager, its easy to drink. Its not half bad either. It would make a simple party beer

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

Hello Schlitz Beer my old friend,
I've come drink like 12 of you again.

---Mr. Simon Garfunkel

Poured into a beveled glass beer mug. I really like the way the can looks. It looks pretty appetizing, I want to bite it in half kinda. Yellow with a half inch white head that sticks around for a minute or two. Strong corn and grains on the nose. Carbonation is lower than I expected. A fairly decent amount of grainy, corny, flavor when you drink it. Shockingly, theres a slight nip of hop bitterness that cleans all that cheap grain taste up pretty well. Very easy to drink, as it should be. Didn't plan on having Schlitz being my 50th review, but its pretty sweet that it is.

3.01/5  rDev +3.8%

Yes, the beer of choice of my father. Look, what can you say, it is an American adjunct lager so it is light and not very flavorful. It has a nice golden color and poured with an ample head. The smell is a bit skunky though. For what it is the flavor is not bad but you would be better off with a Budweiser. It has a slightly oily taste and feel as well.

2.06/5  rDev -29%

Got this in an ugly brown bottle with "Schlitz" spelled out on the front in large, wavy, sorta old school scrawl.

It has a nice foamy head and looks is darker than I expected.

It smells kind of putrid... like a semi-skunky High Life. Semi-sweet.

The taste doesn't work for me at all. It has some musky hops up front muddled with what might pass for malt backbone for some. It was too grainy and the corn presence was really obvious. It tastes like malt liquor kind of. Colt 45, perhaps? Weird aftertaste.

It's thicker than Bud or High Life. I think that's why I feel like it's similar to a malt liquor.

I wouldn't want to drink this consistently. It has flavor and character, I just didn't like it.

3.22/5  rDev +11%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz can.

A - Poured a clear straw, forming a 1 inch white head. Light lacing sticks to the glass.

S - Very strong aroma of grain. Nothing else is really detectible.

T - Strong grainy flavor mixed with just a hint of hops. Light malt presence throughout.

M - Very light and clean.

D - For an adjunct lager, this actually has a decent flavor. Way better than BMC, but still not something that I want to drink frequently.

2.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Nose is grainy sweet and toasty with touch of caramel. Smells pretty good.

Medium gold good clarity moderate head with moderate retention. Looks pretty good.

Dry and bitter, fairly void of flavor. Toasty and dry, mildly stiff. Softly carbonated with mild-to-no sweetness. Tastes south of okay. Fair drinkability.

There are many better American lagers available, and there are many, many worse. At least it wasn't that expensive.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)