Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
botham

3.6/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. pours pale straw with two fingers of tight white head. decent retention (about four minutes) and light lacings.

aroma is lightly malty with a base of floral hops. a touch of citrus and light grain round out the profile.

taste is more of the same, with the pale malts and floral hops mainly, along with light notes of citrus and grain. a standard macro, with a light sweetness.

mouthfeel is light bodied and watery. finishes crisp with soft CO2.

drinkability is good. this is a nicely crafted macro, with a fresh profile and no stale quality from the grain. refreshing and simple, like a good macro should be.

05-31-2008 19:59:27 | More by botham
irishtimepiece

3.5/5  rDev +19.9%

A: I don't know, I didn't bother pouring it. Joking, of course.
Pours a crystal clear straw color with a bubbly white head that quickly falls to nothing and leaves spotty lacing at best.
A: Slightly sweet, definitely grainy.
T: Dry, hint of bitterness, balanced sweetness, mild DMS.
M: Sharp carbonation, to style.
D: Can this be anything but a 5?

05-30-2008 18:53:14 | More by irishtimepiece
morimech

3.63/5  rDev +24.3%

Has a straw yellow color with a brilliant white head that unfortunately disapears rather rapidly. Some lacing left on the glass.

Has a bit of a grassy hop aroma but mostly has a sweet malt smell. Not offensive at all.

Has a sweet malt flavor as well. Just a hint of hops. I somehow expected more from this new "old" recipe. Has a nice clean finish.

Light and fizzy body as expected.

Very refreshing and easy drinking macro. Doesn't rank up there for me with a couple of other macros in terms of flavor, but overall it scores better than average marks. A good cheap macro lager.

05-27-2008 22:11:54 | More by morimech
Donnie2112

Alaska

2.75/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

appearance: crystal clear, pale yellow, good carbonation and decent head retention.

smell: light, a bit of corny malt, a typical "beery" sharpness

taste: really light on flavor, a bit of malt there's allegedly a touch of hops in there. I don't really notice it except for a light bittering, definately inoffensive

mouthfeel: light bodied and fizzy. Just as it should be

drinkability: it's not nasty but it's not anything special either. It's decently refreshing

05-23-2008 20:20:29 | More by Donnie2112
Jaguar

3.05/5  rDev +4.5%

With the prices of beer going through the roof I went in search of a cheap summer "lawnmower Beer", to keep on hand as a way to stretch the beer budget. I tried a number of cheap macro's, and was properly disgusted by most. (numerous horrible reviews to follow.) This was not the Schlitz of old by any means, but it wasn't all that bad, either. not that the schlitz of old was all that great to start with, but I will still grab a six pack of the new old schlitz if it ever gets here, just for nostalgia sake.

This is your typical fizzy yellow macro lager with one, and to me one very important, exception: it doesn't have that nasty funky after taste that most of them have. even when it warms, the taste is clean. that in and of itself makes it worth a try. it also gives them a high "poundability factor". They go down way too easy. and at $7.50 a twelve pack, the budget is stretched considerably.

05-17-2008 21:26:23 | More by Jaguar
pmcadamis

2.1/5  rDev -28.1%

A - I dig the old-school can....it looks like it would be at home in any bowling alley or dive bar, and it sort of reminds me of those light trucker jackets that Teamsters wear. This one is pale gold and crystal clear with a two finger head of white bubbles that dissipate rather quickly, but shows pretty good retention considering the style and the cost. Surveying the room through a glass of Schlitz is like wearing Blu-Blocker aviator glasses, and adds a bit of sunshine to your day. How perky.

S - Sweet corn with a touch of butter. A hint of green plant life really adds to the Midwest cornfield aroma, and I think the greenness is a result of a light "kiss of hops."

T - Again, emphasis on the sweet canned corn and butter. This is really putting me in the mood to attend one of the numerous summertime "sweetcorn festivals" that every little town in Central Illinois holds each summer.

M - Light bodied and blissfully moderately carbonated (most other macro lagers are WAY overcarbonated), the finish is neutral with a light buttered popcorn aftertaste. Not like butter-dripping movie popcorn, but like healthy butter flavored microwave stuff.

D - A damn drinkable, if a bit underflavored beer. I like the corn and butter combo, but the neutral finish is damn near flavorless (a bad thing IMO). After finishing the glass, I can detect a slight soapiness that just drove the score down a notch or two. Not bad for what it is.

I needed something to wash my mouth out after trying Sprecher's drain-pour darling "Mbege African Fire Brewed Ale," and I though that this would do the job nicely. It has succeeded with aplomb, and then some!

05-14-2008 19:47:55 | More by pmcadamis
hopman333

3.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Ok, it is what it is, a Macro lager, so let's not be compairing it to Micro's.

S - As another BA said it has the aroma of grains and green apples, actually alot better than any Macro swill I can think of, maybe even a bit better than PBR.

T - Very firm maltiness / grain flavor, not at all as soft as PBR or the other Macro's. With a very nice dose of green apple sourness and a nice little hop finish that actually linger's on for quite a bit. Very suprising actually. They seem to get better with each passing can. Very easy to drink.

I recently tasted the 1960 recipe bottles that are being tested in our Chicago market. Had one back to back with a TWO BROTHERS Dog Day's lager that was served on tap, and the Schlitz was in the bottle and the Schlitz tasted great. My friend's who are Beer geek's / homebrewers as well gave it the thumb's up to. Try it if you get a chance, much better than the can's,however even the current Schlitz can recipe is far superior to any of the american macros in my opinion, and at $3.00 a sixer to boot. Good call when needing to cut back on you're beer expenses.

05-07-2008 00:57:17 | More by hopman333
kilustration

3.08/5  rDev +5.5%

Yet another bargain beer that destroys the more marketable names in the BMC reign. Keep in mind, my scores only compare to american macros. Taste is good, not quite up to par with PBR or Hamms - but close. I am looking forward to trying the new "old formula". Go Schlitz!

05-04-2008 23:17:07 | More by kilustration
MirkoCroCough

Croatia (Hrvatska)

3.83/5  rDev +31.2%

Looks pretty much like beers of this ilk. Smells decent and like it says you can taste a little bit of hops in there. At $13.50 for a case of pounders and it not being very filling, this is a perfect session beer. Much better than most give it credit for. Drink it.

05-01-2008 17:47:04 | More by MirkoCroCough
biggred1

Indiana

3.33/5  rDev +14%

A-Pale straw color with a good white soapy head.

S-Cooked corniness with a "kiss of the the hops" as the can suggests.

T-Mild and refreshing actually has a nice mild hoppiness that you wouldn't expect in a cheapo macro lager.

M-medium thin body with decent carbonation.

D-I really think this is not bad at all,reigns supreme among all domestic american swill!

04-30-2008 22:20:44 | More by biggred1
Offa

3.83/5  rDev +31.2%

This is hardly great, but it's a decent cheap US lager and a lot better than many. At the price, few beers I have had can beat it except Pabst and Miller High Life.

It's light gold with a medium,, rather thin head that steadily diminishes to leave a foamy top and a little weak lace.

It has a version of what is to me the paradigmatic, basic, pleasant US "beer" aroma of light grain, hints of apple peel, and light grassy hops.

The taste is light grain and green apple peel with a light, grassy, biting hop bitterness. It is light and a little watery, but has solid flavour and is highly drinkable. It has less perfumy grain flavour than those mentioned above, but is a little more grassy, hoppy and with more bitterness than others.

04-23-2008 16:42:52 | More by Offa
kcillini77

Kansas

3.53/5  rDev +20.9%

I have come to find that this is my favorite American Macro Lager. I take this out to softball games and serve it at backyard barbecues. But usually it's a straight from the can, hot weather brew for me. Decided to pour into my Sam Adams Boston Lager glass and review for what it is.

Pours with a nice white head, but it dissipates rather quickly.

Smell is typical rice/corn macro lager, with maybe just a little extra hop spice.

Taste is much more flavorful than the average macro brew. Still have the corn soda flavor up front, but it is followed by a crisp hop bitterness that I find very refreshing.

The mouthfeel is very good, and this is a highly drinkable brew. This won't have me abandoning my IPAs, porters, and imperial stouts, but for a lawnmower beer, this really hits the spot.

04-23-2008 02:38:20 | More by kcillini77

3.95/5  rDev +35.3%

I just recently started drinking this classic. It is now one of my favorites!

I gave an avaerage score for appearance, since I sampled this straight out of the can. The can looks nice though!

The smell is kind of sweet. My sample warmed up a little, so it smelled sweet; a corny kind of sweetness. Not bad at all.

The taste is quite good. Lots of grain, almost no alcohol, and like the can says "just the kiss of the hops." The hops balance nicely with the malty nature of this brew, making for a rather tasty macro.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, but the taste more than makes up for it.

Drinkability: Well, its insane, off the charts! You could very easily down a bunch of these, and want more!

This version of Schlitz is nice! I cant wait until the new formula comes out.

Prost!

04-21-2008 13:24:11 | More by 1099
Mdog

3.23/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Gold, decent head.

Smell: Wet grains.

Taste: Moderate sweetness with a little tea-like bitterness in the finish.

Drinkability: Easy to drink several in a sitting.

I haven't had Schlitz in over 4.5 years, but decided to pick up a 12 pack for $7. I remembered it as being a decent "cheap" beer with about the only hop notes in a macro-type lager. It pretty much matched my memory, normally I don't like tea-like bitterness but it seems to work here to make it stand out from the crowd.

04-06-2008 00:19:25 | More by Mdog
xXTequila

3.45/5  rDev +18.2%

Well.... I gues the best way to describe this beer is as " the same as the rest" but you can actually taste the hops.
But...and there is always a but...only in the first beer. At only 7.19 a 12 pack it's not a bad price but you only taste the beer/hops in the first, maybe secound beer. then it tastes just like the rest.
Not bad, not great.

04-05-2008 22:28:38 | More by xXTequila
shadow1961

2.48/5  rDev -15.1%

I'm pretty much sure that it is likely the first beer I ever tasted was a
Schlitz. Dad was always dragging me along when he visited all the
other old Slovenian guys in town, and one time one of them gave me
a beer. I must have been eight or something, and eight years old is
far, far away.

Anyway, Schlitz pours a big stiff head over a clear straw colored brew.
The nose is the familiar corn and rice macro lager pong. The flavor is
pretty familiar too- sweet corn up front with a suggestion of grassy hop
in the finish- probably a little more than in a lot of your other macros.
Mouthfeel is crisp and that's about it. I can't believe I probably pulled a
bitter beer face the first time I had some, what, 38 years ago? Anyway,
a Schlitz is like an old Style is like a Stite is like a Budweiser is like a
Moosehead is like a Grain Belt is like a Michelob is like a Miller is like
a LaBatt is like a Coors. If you like this style, you sure do have a lot of
label designs to choose from, the contents are pretty much the same.
If the typography on the Schlitz is pleasing to you- and you like the style,
this is the brew for you!

03-14-2008 07:56:00 | More by shadow1961
greggwllms

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

The beer is a definite lawnmower special!I wouldn't think twice to pick up a sixer of cans on a hot day around the house or before heading to the lake.

The color is light golden. very little head present. Taste was light and refreshing. I could drink this one for days.

02-19-2008 04:23:41 | More by greggwllms
mltobin

Connecticut

2.08/5  rDev -28.8%

Bought in a can at a local dive bar.

Appearance poured into a pint glass is a light yellow with a thin white head.

Smell is light, kind of sweet, with some grain.

Taste is bland, not much here, drink it up quick, no need to savor Schlitz.

Mouth Feel is bland like the taste, will help when you ate a bunch of hot wings, but that is about it.

Drinkability is decent if you want to drink more than a couple beers, but Schlitz itself is not enjoyable.

02-15-2008 01:08:17 | More by mltobin
clayrock81

2.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Perhaps regarded as one of the worst beers ever, although this is kind of like 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' (regarded as the worst movie ever by some). Because they are so widely known for being bad they're reputations have morphed into "worst ever". But trust me, as somewhat of a cinephile there are much worse movies than Ed Wood's and Schlitz is not the worst beer, not by a longshot. In fact, I find it to a cheap beer I can stand and that is a rarity. It has a pale, seethru straw color that leave almost no head. The smell is not metallic but still dirty, like there is an overabundance of adjuncts. The taste and mouthfeel are pretty balanced though. It has that sharp, hops taste that is mixed with just enough grain/barley to give this beer a mediumish body that resonates on the tongue and does not dry out the mouth or throat.
Needless to say, I can chill with one of these here and there.

02-14-2008 18:17:55 | More by clayrock81
jdubjacket

Georgia

3.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Definitely my cheap beer of choice. Used to knock back a few of these for every game day. Since graduation, I have scaled it back.

Taste is pretty balanced with the sweetness of the alcohol and the bitterness of the hops.

Appearance, mouthfeel, and smell are nothing to write home about. Considering the price, there is nothing better for the price.

01-30-2008 02:19:11 | More by jdubjacket
pumarocks

3.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Picked this "legend" up at Biggs in Western Hills. My father-in-law has waxed nostalgic about this brew many times so I figured it was time to see what the fuss was about. It has a pleasant hop flavor that was very surprising. The color is a bit darker than your average American macro. Drinks heavy and certainly has the corn profile down. It is somehow refreshing and enjoyable despite all its short comings. Will pick this up to impress my buddies next time i see it.

01-15-2008 16:09:27 | More by pumarocks
kguyty

Missouri

3.48/5  rDev +19.2%

A pretty darn good beer for the money. Dare I say that I am enjoying this more than my standby Pabst?

The beer pours a light yellow color and ends up golden in the mug. There is a decent head that disappears into lacing.

Smells average.

The taste is darn good for what you pay. I will drink this any day over anything AB, Miller, or Coors makes.

I could drink these all day due to the fact that they go down so smoothly.

01-04-2008 00:19:19 | More by kguyty
rrob311

New Hampshire

2.58/5  rDev -11.6%

I would give this beer at least a 4 if it didnt have so many inconsistencies. A good can tastes great and is slightly sweet. One of the better tasting macros I have tried. HOWEVER! Several of the cans in the first case I purchased smelled like bologna. No joke! The next 12 pack I bought like 3 of the cans smelled like burnt rubber! I poored the last two out in the sink! I never waste beer either. But when its a "good" can it smells slightly sweet and good. So I am going to give this a 2.5 rating. Hopefully they can iron out the bad batches.

12-19-2007 00:17:17 | More by rrob311
malcontent

2.8/5  rDev -4.1%

Ah, visits to my parents' house; I can always count on trying beers that would otherwise, er, elude me...

Pale gold body capped by a thin but sturdy head. Carbonation steadily rushes to the top in droves.

Nothing like that sweet corn smell. Admittedly, it's not nearly as strong here as in other beers of this type, but it's never a plus in my book. The can reads "just a kiss of the hops." Hmmm, the beer must have washed its mouth after said kiss, because they're not in the aroma.

Alright, this isn't a style I take much enjoyment in but this is at least tolerable. Not much other than standard two-row malt is detectable but the finish, while corn-sweet, is at least clean and quick.

Mouthfeel isn't as crisp as I'd like from a beer of this nature. Overall I can't see myself drinking this unless it was the only choice offered by a host. It's not a total disaster but it makes me giggle a little to see it advertized as "The Beer That Made Milwaukee famous." That's kind of like saying "Rice-a-roni, the Food That Made San Francisco Famous." It's true, but is that a good thing?

11-17-2007 01:14:01 | More by malcontent
SargeC

Japan

3.33/5  rDev +14%

An American classic. The packaging is timeless. The brew is a solid American macro. Unpretentious beer that is perfectly happy with what it is. A mild yellow color is toped with a white head. No standout aroma and the taste is very simple with that signature “kiss of the hops” and mellow malt flavor. Sometimes simplicity fits, and Schlitz fits those times.

11-11-2007 07:45:19 | More by SargeC
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)