Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
SargeC

Japan

3.33/5  rDev +14%

An American classic. The packaging is timeless. The brew is a solid American macro. Unpretentious beer that is perfectly happy with what it is. A mild yellow color is toped with a white head. No standout aroma and the taste is very simple with that signature “kiss of the hops” and mellow malt flavor. Sometimes simplicity fits, and Schlitz fits those times.

11-11-2007 07:45:19 | More by SargeC
reg93780

Missouri

3.85/5  rDev +31.8%

When I go to the liquor store looking for cheap beer Schlitz is always my first choice. This beer has more color and flavor than the standard Budmillercoors. With "just the kiss of the hops" it has a sweet taste that you won't find behind the last door of the cooler in most liquor stores. This is good beer, so go on and drink the beer that your dad drinks.

10-24-2007 02:15:03 | More by reg93780
Rddymk

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +45.5%

After a decade of mass produced products, I have come to the conclusion that Schlitz is the best sub-premium beer on the market. The sweet taste and the "kiss of the hops" makes it a true, less bitter, American original. It is a complete beer that has a bold, yet easy palpabale aroma. And for the price (9.99 a case) it concludes with the same taste from the first pour to the last swallow.

10-19-2007 02:11:45 | More by Rddymk
xduderx

Tennessee

3.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

So my good friend from Australia told me she drinks Victoria Bitter because her dad and grandfather do and it is cheaper and has more taste than most other beers. I drink Schlitz for the same reason. It beats bud, miller, or coors by a long shot and a 12 pack will run you anywhere from $6-$7 tops. It's nothing special really, but it's crisp, inoffensive, and satisfying.

10-18-2007 18:54:59 | More by xduderx
biggmike

Mississippi

3.6/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a little darker than your typical American macro lager from Budweiser, Miller, or Coors. White head that doesnt last long. Nothing truly offensive in the taste. Not much hop character, but can says "Just a kiss of hops". Has more taste than anything from BMC and is extremely drinkable for the price. This is a classic though a bit different from the Schlitz I would steal from my dad in the 70's. This is my favorite of the American Macro Lagers with Pabst a close second.

10-05-2007 14:51:12 | More by biggmike
bluemoonswoon

3.03/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz can poured into nonic pint glass. No freshness date.

A: Pours an even darker straw pale pale amber than Bud or the LaCrosse I had a day ago. The head is bone white and bubbly that starts at about an inch and slowly fades into a microscopicly thin cap. No lacing but the head sticks around longer than most.

S: Bit of cereal grainy scent with "just a kiss of the hops" as the can says, but other than that not much else.

T/MF: Nice and bubbly mouthfeel and also quite crisp and fresh tasting even after a few weeks in the fridge. No sour aftertaste like the LaCrosse, good balance of malts and hops with no off adjuct tastes. A bit more filling that either Bud or LaCrosse. Just a solid macro that stay a true to its roots as it can.

D: Probably my first choice in my budget macro selection list.

08-21-2007 23:11:50 | More by bluemoonswoon
NOOGIE

Wisconsin

2.88/5  rDev -1.4%

I have had this beer numerous times. I have only heard of this "folklore" beer as the dying breed of original beers. What makes me coming back to this beer is that it is an easy beer to drink (for people who prefer a more higher end beer, i.e. Millers, Buds) compared to a Blatz or Milwaukee Ice. The apperance is like a normal American brew, copper color nothing special there. The smell once again common of beers. The taste now that is where the money is like I said before, it has a light feel and a crisp, but not to bitter taste. Mouthfeel, you just wanna get this beer down, and it is an average drinkiability for the normal American beer. So if you enjoy the classics, like myself, and have never had one, go TRY and find some. If your in the Green Bay area, I can only find one grocery store that carries this living legend of beer. ENJOY.

08-18-2007 23:01:11 | More by NOOGIE
Rainintheface

2.5/5  rDev -14.4%

I was picking up some beer to taste, spotted Schlitz for 85 cents a can and picked up a couple. Being the only beer I bought that was cold... I'll start here.

A: on the darker side of pale, lightly carbonated with a one finger white head that quickly exits to a thin, thin head

S: faint hops, little malt. really not much of a smell

T: not bad at all, hops, little carbonation

M: med. light mouthfeel

D: A could find myself drinking a number of these. They are refreshing. I would buy these before Bud, Miller, Coors and the like.

This was probably the first beer I ever tasted in my life (sip of dads) when I was in my early single digits. It doesn't bring back that "beery" taste I remember, but not bad at all.

08-04-2007 22:12:56 | More by Rainintheface
giblet

3.23/5  rDev +10.6%

ok first off this is a "macro". light in color. good carbonation. good head and some lace. for a lighter macro this is a damn fine beer. way ahead of the big three. when you want a big three type, that is reasonably priced choose this or based on availability their malt liquor or PBR or Strohs.

after this i dont know why anyone would want the big three. must be the parties and bikini clad girls that automatically show up when you open a can...never happened to me damnit!

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

08-04-2007 21:25:32 | More by giblet
berserker256

2.65/5  rDev -9.2%

This beer doesn't suck as much as everybody says it does. It seems to be the same color as a Sam Adams Light that I had earlier tonight. The smell reminds me of the bottle caps I used to sniff that my dad would pry off of Stroh's bottles and throw into the campfire.... But miss. I would pick them up out of the dirt and smell them for some reason. I liked it but I can't explain why. Those were good times. So perhaps we should appreciate Schlitz NOT for its quality, but for its memories it has provided us with. I like Schlitz. And I will return to the only store in Metro Detroit (Beverage Warehouse at 13 Mile and Greenfield) that carries this wonderful product and I will buy a case of Schlitz again. And Again. And again. This is the beer that made Milwaukee famous. Established in 1849. Let's keep the ball rolling.

07-21-2007 03:34:48 | More by berserker256
jamesdr1968

3.85/5  rDev +31.8%

This was one of those beers that my friends have always told me was awful. How wrong they were. I picked up a case for $11. Yes, $11. I couldn't believe how good it tasted! Of course, it's not a craft beer. The taste will not blow you away. BUT, this is the kind of beer you could drink every day. Long day at work? Get a can of Schlitz, turn on the TV and relax. Poured a decent yellow, not much head, bit of lace. Smell was ok. Taste was very good. It's sad to think of the people paying much more $$$ for beer that isn't better than this one.

06-30-2007 02:27:38 | More by jamesdr1968
KevinB

3.93/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Just a kiss of the hops, indeed. I poured this fine brew into a chilled footed pilsner glass.
The appearance is a brilliant, heavenly yellow with a foamy white head.
Smell is pleasant, the aroma is rich of hints of wheat , corn and Hops.
Taste is a great for a budget beer , a perfect balance of hops and malt.
Mouthfeel is really nice, you get a nice array of flavors, light bodied, well balanced brew overall, crisp and clean.
Drinkability , pretty nice session beer, these would be nice out of an icy cooler on a hot summer day.
Overall one of the best tasting cheapies out of a can.

06-12-2007 03:57:00 | More by KevinB
scooter231

2.8/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Cheap beer, but not awful beer. This is in the family of Schaefer and PBR- they're virtually the same beer. This one just has a bit less flavor. Still, it's another great hot day beer, serve it as cold as possible, and down one or six. You probably won't even hurt the next day!

06-02-2007 08:12:11 | More by scooter231
ommegangpbr

2.85/5  rDev -2.4%

This is just about everything you could ask for in a cheap beer. Served cold, out of the can on a hot day and you're golden. You can have plenty of these and not suffer a headache the next day. Just enough flavor to let you know it's beer. "Just the kiss of the hops" indeed.
An ideal sort of beer to serve at parties.

06-02-2007 06:30:24 | More by ommegangpbr
EagleTalon

Oklahoma

3.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours to a frothy white head that fades to a thin ring. Color is a clear pale gold. Aroma is sweet and grainy with some malt character coming through. Flavor is sweet and surprisingly malty for a cheap american lager. Yes, there is a "kiss of hops" detectable in there. Finishes with a lingering hop flavor and a corny sweetness. Mouthfeel is a bit flat and watery. A good beer at a great price.

03-30-2007 02:14:06 | More by EagleTalon
JoeyBeerBelly

3.75/5  rDev +28.4%

This was the first "tall boy" (24oz can) I remember...

I bought a 12 pack of 12oz cans for $4.99 at the supermarket

I drank it out of the can so I gave appearance and smell 3's

it tastes good, goes down easy, and I drank 12 cans in a one night sitting with no ill effects the next day
(about 5-6 hours / 4slices of pizza / half a bag of pretzels total time/food consumption).

03-25-2007 01:41:14 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
Mickelswit

2.15/5  rDev -26.4%

16 oz. can poured into a pint mug. It had a nice head on it that dissipated into a touch of foam on the top. No lacing to speak of. Smells just a little grainy, maybe some corn, no hops. It's pretty much transparent except for the usual macro tinge of straw yellow. Taste has a surprising amount of generic hop presence for this style, though still quite low. There's maybe a little taste of grains, but it leaves the tongue so quickly that it's hard to tell. Mouthfeel is equally fleeting.

This would be a good session beer for a hot day, and it's cheap - about $4 for a sixer of pint cans. Since there's little flavor or mouthfeel, you can really knock 'em back, making drinkability its best quality.

03-16-2007 19:26:54 | More by Mickelswit
uabigdaz

Arizona

3.68/5  rDev +26%

I swear I have good tastes in beer. I promise you. I'm almost ashamed of how much I like Schlitz... ALMOST. This beer is actually really well balanced and tastes very good for the price range.

Pours a rich golden color, with nice head retention and decent lacing. The smell is somewhat pungent, and that's really the only thing wrong with this beer. It bubbles nicely in my stein.

This beer tastes exceptionally well. There is an overwhelming presence of malt, as it is a malt beverage, but after the inital malt taste there is a noticeable "kiss of hops" just as advertised. When I first tried this beer years ago I remember noticing the hops and being surprised to find this taste in a beer this notoriously cheap.

Mouthfeel is fine, no sting, but also not too watery, although it is slightly watery feeling. Drinkability is good, as I already have 1 down and poured a 2nd since starting this review.

Picked this up for, no kidding, $4.99 for a twelve pack down at my local CVS/Pharmacy in Tucson. Definately my favorite new cheap beer. Nothing wrong with this brew.

03-09-2007 21:39:44 | More by uabigdaz
robmorris31

Washington

2.95/5  rDev +1%

Ahh Schlitz!

A- Very Light transparent. Very clear.

S- Present. No mistaking the smell of Schlitz.

T- Ummmm, I kinda like it. Malt liquor is sweeter than lagers and beer.

M- Light not as full as I thought.

D- Drinkability is good due to its sweetness.

I would recommend this beer to those who like Malt liquors, but prefer less intimidating and full flavored ones.

02-24-2007 22:58:05 | More by robmorris31
zeff80

Missouri

2.85/5  rDev -2.4%

A - Pours out a clear yellow color with a small, white head. It left no lacing.

S - It smells of corn and grain adjuncts.

T - It tastes of corn, some malt and a little hoppy bitterness.

M - It is smooth and crisp. A light-bodied brew.

D - It is pretty good considering the price ($6 for a 12 pack). Overall, it is a nice representaion of the style.

01-23-2007 00:34:28 | More by zeff80
jasonjlewis

3.93/5  rDev +34.6%

A no frills beer that's easy to down. Would go good with some barbeque or briskett (sp?). American adjunct filled lager, but not bad. Not much flavor, not bad. Something that's quaffable and would wash down some food fairly easily. $3.50 for a 6 pack. A good beer for the poor.

12-31-2006 23:02:30 | More by jasonjlewis
banjaxed

3.08/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured the contents of can in a 16 oz pint glass. Bought th esixer at the local grocery store for $3.
A great big white head came up with a lots of bubbles that slowly disappeared to some lacing. Very nice golden color.
An average aroma with sweet malt/cereal with a touch of a lager nose (sulfur) . The sweetness follows through in the taste and it is almost balanced with the bitterness,.
This beer has a pretty good mouthfeel, almost like a helles. It just about right for the style.
Schlitz is a very drinkable beer, easy drinking with just enough taste to keep the drinker happy.
My favorite for the style

12-23-2006 23:21:30 | More by banjaxed
scarletfire79

New Hampshire

3.73/5  rDev +27.7%

reviewed this one before but have been going through a grandpa beer phase lately and a lot of PBR,High Life, Schaefer and the likes have been coming out so i figured i might as well give this another shot. pours golden yellow with a decent head that reduces to some lacing. smell is straight forward macro smell but not as skunky. the taste is definitly just a kiss of the hops. not a ton of flavors going on, but extremely refreshing. smooth with no off flavors. overall really solid and i think my favorite for this style.

12-20-2006 15:22:40 | More by scarletfire79
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

2.48/5  rDev -15.1%

I'm typing this review from notes, and I don't remember why I wrote this exactly, but the first words are "Smells- grassy hop and sulpher (more like farts and poo)" Hmmm.. Its possible I was just in a beligerent mood but I obviously did not find the smell appealing. I do remember why I did not like the appearance, it had no head and was seriously the color of pale, dirty water (these beers really are best from the can).

I have to say the taste actually pleasantly surprised me. It starts with a nice, sweet, bready grain, just a hint of rice astringency and alcohol before Schlitz actually delivers on its "kiss of the hops" slogan and adds a pleasant grassiness to a sweet aftertaste. Mouthfeel is midwieght, a little strupy, and dead save some grain astringency. I would be very interested in having this fresh on tap, where some of the issues might be resolved.

12-03-2006 19:08:15 | More by JudgeRoughneck
jdmorgan

3.28/5  rDev +12.3%

I honestly expected a lot less with the price that I paid for a case of this beer, but I was pleasantly surprised. The appearance was a light gold with a medium head. The smell had a slight fruit and malt aroma along with a bit of hop aroma as well. I also detected a bit of corn in there too, but that is to be expected. The taste really wasn't bad at all and was quite refreshing. Although it is still relatively light on the body side, it still had more flavor than I expected both with the malt and the hops. The mouthfeel had a medium carbonation and was quite crisp when it was cold. I believe that this beer is very drinkable, especially for it's price. The only downside I found was that (like many beers of it's type) it loses it's appeal once it gets warmer. Nevertheless, Schlitz is a beer that still lives up to it's tradition as being a cheap beer of decent quality for the working man.

11-27-2006 00:03:28 | More by jdmorgan
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)