Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
ommegangpbr

2.85/5  rDev -2.4%

This is just about everything you could ask for in a cheap beer. Served cold, out of the can on a hot day and you're golden. You can have plenty of these and not suffer a headache the next day. Just enough flavor to let you know it's beer. "Just the kiss of the hops" indeed.
An ideal sort of beer to serve at parties.

06-02-2007 06:30:24 | More by ommegangpbr
EagleTalon

Oklahoma

3.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours to a frothy white head that fades to a thin ring. Color is a clear pale gold. Aroma is sweet and grainy with some malt character coming through. Flavor is sweet and surprisingly malty for a cheap american lager. Yes, there is a "kiss of hops" detectable in there. Finishes with a lingering hop flavor and a corny sweetness. Mouthfeel is a bit flat and watery. A good beer at a great price.

03-30-2007 02:14:06 | More by EagleTalon
JoeyBeerBelly

3.75/5  rDev +28.4%

This was the first "tall boy" (24oz can) I remember...

I bought a 12 pack of 12oz cans for $4.99 at the supermarket

I drank it out of the can so I gave appearance and smell 3's

it tastes good, goes down easy, and I drank 12 cans in a one night sitting with no ill effects the next day
(about 5-6 hours / 4slices of pizza / half a bag of pretzels total time/food consumption).

03-25-2007 01:41:14 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
Mickelswit

2.15/5  rDev -26.4%

16 oz. can poured into a pint mug. It had a nice head on it that dissipated into a touch of foam on the top. No lacing to speak of. Smells just a little grainy, maybe some corn, no hops. It's pretty much transparent except for the usual macro tinge of straw yellow. Taste has a surprising amount of generic hop presence for this style, though still quite low. There's maybe a little taste of grains, but it leaves the tongue so quickly that it's hard to tell. Mouthfeel is equally fleeting.

This would be a good session beer for a hot day, and it's cheap - about $4 for a sixer of pint cans. Since there's little flavor or mouthfeel, you can really knock 'em back, making drinkability its best quality.

03-16-2007 19:26:54 | More by Mickelswit
uabigdaz

Arizona

3.68/5  rDev +26%

I swear I have good tastes in beer. I promise you. I'm almost ashamed of how much I like Schlitz... ALMOST. This beer is actually really well balanced and tastes very good for the price range.

Pours a rich golden color, with nice head retention and decent lacing. The smell is somewhat pungent, and that's really the only thing wrong with this beer. It bubbles nicely in my stein.

This beer tastes exceptionally well. There is an overwhelming presence of malt, as it is a malt beverage, but after the inital malt taste there is a noticeable "kiss of hops" just as advertised. When I first tried this beer years ago I remember noticing the hops and being surprised to find this taste in a beer this notoriously cheap.

Mouthfeel is fine, no sting, but also not too watery, although it is slightly watery feeling. Drinkability is good, as I already have 1 down and poured a 2nd since starting this review.

Picked this up for, no kidding, $4.99 for a twelve pack down at my local CVS/Pharmacy in Tucson. Definately my favorite new cheap beer. Nothing wrong with this brew.

03-09-2007 21:39:44 | More by uabigdaz
robmorris31

Washington

2.95/5  rDev +1%

Ahh Schlitz!

A- Very Light transparent. Very clear.

S- Present. No mistaking the smell of Schlitz.

T- Ummmm, I kinda like it. Malt liquor is sweeter than lagers and beer.

M- Light not as full as I thought.

D- Drinkability is good due to its sweetness.

I would recommend this beer to those who like Malt liquors, but prefer less intimidating and full flavored ones.

02-24-2007 22:58:05 | More by robmorris31
zeff80

Missouri

2.85/5  rDev -2.4%

A - Pours out a clear yellow color with a small, white head. It left no lacing.

S - It smells of corn and grain adjuncts.

T - It tastes of corn, some malt and a little hoppy bitterness.

M - It is smooth and crisp. A light-bodied brew.

D - It is pretty good considering the price ($6 for a 12 pack). Overall, it is a nice representaion of the style.

01-23-2007 00:34:28 | More by zeff80
jasonjlewis

3.93/5  rDev +34.6%

A no frills beer that's easy to down. Would go good with some barbeque or briskett (sp?). American adjunct filled lager, but not bad. Not much flavor, not bad. Something that's quaffable and would wash down some food fairly easily. $3.50 for a 6 pack. A good beer for the poor.

12-31-2006 23:02:30 | More by jasonjlewis
banjaxed

3.08/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured the contents of can in a 16 oz pint glass. Bought th esixer at the local grocery store for $3.
A great big white head came up with a lots of bubbles that slowly disappeared to some lacing. Very nice golden color.
An average aroma with sweet malt/cereal with a touch of a lager nose (sulfur) . The sweetness follows through in the taste and it is almost balanced with the bitterness,.
This beer has a pretty good mouthfeel, almost like a helles. It just about right for the style.
Schlitz is a very drinkable beer, easy drinking with just enough taste to keep the drinker happy.
My favorite for the style

12-23-2006 23:21:30 | More by banjaxed
scarletfire79

New Hampshire

3.73/5  rDev +27.7%

reviewed this one before but have been going through a grandpa beer phase lately and a lot of PBR,High Life, Schaefer and the likes have been coming out so i figured i might as well give this another shot. pours golden yellow with a decent head that reduces to some lacing. smell is straight forward macro smell but not as skunky. the taste is definitly just a kiss of the hops. not a ton of flavors going on, but extremely refreshing. smooth with no off flavors. overall really solid and i think my favorite for this style.

12-20-2006 15:22:40 | More by scarletfire79
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

2.48/5  rDev -15.1%

I'm typing this review from notes, and I don't remember why I wrote this exactly, but the first words are "Smells- grassy hop and sulpher (more like farts and poo)" Hmmm.. Its possible I was just in a beligerent mood but I obviously did not find the smell appealing. I do remember why I did not like the appearance, it had no head and was seriously the color of pale, dirty water (these beers really are best from the can).

I have to say the taste actually pleasantly surprised me. It starts with a nice, sweet, bready grain, just a hint of rice astringency and alcohol before Schlitz actually delivers on its "kiss of the hops" slogan and adds a pleasant grassiness to a sweet aftertaste. Mouthfeel is midwieght, a little strupy, and dead save some grain astringency. I would be very interested in having this fresh on tap, where some of the issues might be resolved.

12-03-2006 19:08:15 | More by JudgeRoughneck
jdmorgan

3.28/5  rDev +12.3%

I honestly expected a lot less with the price that I paid for a case of this beer, but I was pleasantly surprised. The appearance was a light gold with a medium head. The smell had a slight fruit and malt aroma along with a bit of hop aroma as well. I also detected a bit of corn in there too, but that is to be expected. The taste really wasn't bad at all and was quite refreshing. Although it is still relatively light on the body side, it still had more flavor than I expected both with the malt and the hops. The mouthfeel had a medium carbonation and was quite crisp when it was cold. I believe that this beer is very drinkable, especially for it's price. The only downside I found was that (like many beers of it's type) it loses it's appeal once it gets warmer. Nevertheless, Schlitz is a beer that still lives up to it's tradition as being a cheap beer of decent quality for the working man.

11-27-2006 00:03:28 | More by jdmorgan
Adamthome1

Nebraska

3.43/5  rDev +17.5%

This is a good, cheap beer. Pours an initial head of foam that reduces and some lacey rings remain for a bit.

Smell is quite floral from the hops for a macro, and some corn hints int he nose as well

tastes darn good, really a perfect amount of hops, if only there were some more malt this would be a quality beer. Definately top of class that it's in.

Goes down easy, some corn flavor remaisn int he back and mild taste of alcohol.

At $5.47 a 12-pack at wal mart it's a cheap session, and very sessionable. Hands down better than the big three or any other macro in my opnion. Platoon this with PBG and Old Style and have some real classics if you are value conscious.

11-10-2006 17:05:52 | More by Adamthome1
dedrinker

Kansas

I ran across the room and grabbed this one out of the hands of my friend. It was a darker yellow (apple juice) and tasted of sweet and stale cereal grains. It seemd rather corrupted with a filthy finish that made me momentarily lose my balance. I smacked my friend across the teeth, and poured the rest out on his lap. His father came into the room and told us that once upon a time, Schlitz was a mighty market contender, and that he drank it up until the 70's when he could no longer stomach the effect all their cost-cutting innovations had done to its integrity.

10-26-2006 14:57:59 | More by dedrinker
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

2.95/5  rDev +1%

Light amber body with a quarter inch white head. Smell is not overwealming, but seems sweet with hints of yeast and hop. Watery, yeasty, sweet... more corn than I thought there would be... Taste relatively one-dimensional, unfortunately. Fairly drinkable though... Inoffensive and cheap...

10-19-2006 01:55:41 | More by MrHurmateeowish
mattgert

3.53/5  rDev +20.9%

This is a great budget beer to keep on hand. American Macro beers don't have any hop presence and are mostly adjunct ridden corn smelling swill. Schlitz is an exception for the most part. There is a hop presence, nice carbonation, decent (yet light) mouthfeel, lots of drinkability, and a crisp finish with a malt backbone that lacks the sour corn/adjunct flavor that most of this style usually have. There is some corn happening but it is muted. It isn't an award winner but at $5.49 a 12 pack there isn't much that beats it in its class. However, be careful in large quantities. It is easy to put away a ton of this and that will put you on the toilet often the next day. You have been warned. Schlitz will give you the Schitz.

10-05-2006 02:01:31 | More by mattgert
ClearDog

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev +40.4%

Appearance -- Poured from can to glass mug. The color is a deep, pure gold. Very effervescent. Head was about a finger and was a bubbly white.

Smell -- Just a little hoppy with sweet malt. It reminds me of a much weaker German pilsner. I know that other have claimed to, but I do not smell any corn adjuncts. Not what I was expecting at all.

Taste -- Like the can says, "Just a Kiss of Hops." There's a little bit of hop bitterness which balances well with the malty sweetness. This is very clean and refreshing. Not at all like a Miller High Life, where the finish is just too sweet.

Every couple of sips I think I taste a corn like sweetness, but this could be my imagination. Not what I was expecting . . . this tastes pretty good.

Mouthfeel -- Just right for the style. Kind of watery, but there is a little gravity here. This is what I'm looking for on an 80+ degree day.

Drinkability -- This one is very sessionable. I never purchase macro beers but for some reason I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to give an American classic a try: I'm glad I did. When you're in the mood give this one a try. Don't automatically write it off as "swill."

09-17-2006 21:26:48 | More by ClearDog
veech

Tennessee

3.43/5  rDev +17.5%

I'm not sure what it is about old school cheap macro beers(PBR,Schlitz, Miller High Life) but consistently throughout my life, I have really enjoyed them. I probably hadn't drunk a Schlitz in over 10 years until yesterday that is. A: Medium yellow with more golden indications than most macros. S: Has a corn mash smell with a little diacetyl hint, really not that bad. T: Like the can says "just the kiss of the hops". It was a little sweet with a tiny touch of a hop finish that balanced it out pretty well. M: Viscous enough for coverage but thin nonetheless. D: I'd have to say above average potential for sessioning esp @ $2.99 a six pack. My local availability is very limited. I can only find it at one particular grocery store. When it came to old school icons I actually always preferred Falstaff back in the day, and I still prefer PBR. Honestly though just for variety's sake, for my next event that calls for cheap beer,(poker game, Mon/Thurs night football game) I think I might opt for the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

09-14-2006 13:30:16 | More by veech
TechMyst

CONTAINER VOLUME: 355ml
CONTAINER TYPE: can
FRESH: y
PURCHASED @: first beer given to me by my father
COST: priceless
HEAD: minimal
LACE: slight
COLOR:dingy yellow
AROMA: urine
MOUTHFEEL: light
TASTE: curled my teeth
COMMENTS: wondered why my dad ever drank the stuff
CONDITIONS:

09-14-2006 06:08:05 | More by TechMyst
sockeye101

Washington

3.08/5  rDev +5.5%

Ahh the Schlitz...not common at all in this part of the country but I know of one little mom and pop store that sells it, so cheers to that. Appearance is nothing special at all, white thin head that gone in the blink of an eye and no lacing, but a yellow color with a slight hint of gold. Smell is not bad at all, considering this is on the low end of the spectrum, but theres that veggie mash smell that lingers with a bit of sweetness. The taste is nice with a slight hop bite at the begining and subtle malt flavor at the end. This is just a nice crisp clean good drinkin' beer. 'Just the kiss of the hops'....indeed.

09-08-2006 05:52:40 | More by sockeye101
witster18

Tennessee

2.55/5  rDev -12.7%

I cant believe I waited so long in my life to have one of these. Sometimes you can hinder your beer intelligence by being swayed by false rumors and false reputations. This beer really is better than most macro's...especially the big dogs. It's much better than its price demographic competitors. Wow! Clean finish. Very little aftertaste combined with better than average flavor..especially for a brew of this style and origin. Very straight forward. Carbonation loaded but a little sweet and without the common alcohol aftertaste from similiar cheaper macro's. Freezing cold it kinda reminds me of what Coors Original falls short of accomplishing. My 3.59+tax for 6-16oz cans couldn't have been better spent. If you can find it in your area and you are on a budget..this selection ...to me...is now a no brainer. A little grainy with corn sweetness but higher drinkability than Bud or Coor's.

upon a second visit the vegetable characteristics and booziness are a bit much... cold those flavors come off quite well... a little warmth and this gets ugly.... dropping the taste down to 2.5 on this edit.

08-31-2006 19:30:12 | More by witster18
AustinBeerLvr

4.1/5  rDev +40.4%

This is by far my favorite macro lager. At $5.50 a 12 pack, this brew is just proof that the big three are often more expensive due to their marketing. Schlitz tastes MUCH better than Budweiser, Miller, or Coors, for one reason, it has a taste! And, for anybody that is wondering, I normally drink more flavorful beers.

The beer pours a fairly average looking lager style, with a fair amount of head. It also leaves a fairly good lacing on the glass as it is consumed. The smell is mostly hops with a little malt as well. The taste is a very nice crisp, fairly hoppy and a little sweet malt mix of flavor. Very refreshing. Unlike other macro lagers, this beer is very good even when it's not ice cold, because again, it has flavor to it. The finish is slightly sweet malt.

I would choose this any day over any other macro lager I have ever tried, regardless of the price. If only the big three would catch on to the fact that there are a lot of people that like the taste of beer. Honestly, this is a staple in my fidge along with beers that are much more expensive. Regardless of its price, Schlitz is a very good tasting beer that is hands down the best tasting macro lager out there.

08-11-2006 23:50:39 | More by AustinBeerLvr
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

3.7/5  rDev +26.7%

Great retro can served up at Old Fashioned in Madison, WI. Appearance is what it is – clear gold, lots of bubbles, almost no head, just a touch of skim. Aroma is corn, sweet malt, and a pinch or two of hops. Clean. Flavor is perfectly balanced macro lager. Hop bitterness and corn syrup sweetness match each other perfectly. Body is light and not overly sweet. Moderately crisp and partially dry finish. Extremely drinkable. A great beer…almost as good as, and very similar to, PBR.

08-04-2006 21:36:48 | More by DaPeculierDane
BarrelBrother

3.68/5  rDev +26%

I agree with other reviewers that this is a good, inexpensive warm weather beer. I grew up with Schlitz being an extremely popular beer in the 50's & 60's and one of my first beers I tasted was Schlitz. Schlitz had some of the best advertizing of the era with great catch phrases like: "When you're out of Schlitz, your out of beer", "You only go around once in life, so grab for all the gusto you can", and of course, "The beer that made Milwaukee famous, simply because it tasted so good". Schlitz beer was one of the best macro beers from that era and I believe it still has character even after all these years.

Appearance: Typical clear, straw color, but nice foamy head and sparkling carbonation. Better head than most Macro type offerings.

Smell: Yes, a bit thin. But it is a fresh and clean aroma. No Skunkiness (sp?) here. Corn dominates the nose.

Taste: OK, this is where I still like this beer. Crisp taste, with slight sweetness. Truly, just the kiss of the hops! No aftertaste and very smooth. What can I say but, enjoyable for a Macro beer. Brings back memories of picnics on hot summer days when beer was iced in old galvanized tubs.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, not grainy. No bitterness, but nothing special.

Drinkability: Very good, IMHO. Easy to down one or more and easy to keep a ample supply on hand ($). A regular favorite with the guys on "card night". Great with typical "bar food". Overall a solid "case" type beer for any get together, at least with my friends.

07-28-2006 03:48:00 | More by BarrelBrother
Drew966

Schlitz pours a pale yellow with a white head from a twelve ounce can. Smells like adjuncts. Tastes a lot like corn, in other words, a typical macro. Nothing offensive and reasonably priced. Decent alternative to b/m/c if you still want a macro. This one surprised me a bit because I've never had this before and really didn't expect much.

07-27-2006 00:11:46 | More by Drew966
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)