Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
Andreji

Colombia

2.88/5  rDev -1.4%

An OK beer decidedly for a macro lager. Pours a crisp goldent tone, very clean with a slight white head and some inner carbonation with some lacing being gradually left behind, though thin. The smell is very strong, With a hint of alcohol and hops above anything else. The taste is strong, bitter and with the feel of the alcohol dominating the basics, slightly like a more mild and upgraded heineken style lager. I'll have another one along the way, it's not a bad buy but there are better.

09-01-2003 01:15:22 | More by Andreji
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.05/5  rDev +4.5%

To be what it is, Schlitz isn't that bad. Yes it is an American beer, but it is most certainly better than Bud and the other "yellow stuff". It looks almost like other American beers, just slightly different, with an immediately noticeably different smell (for the better for sure). The taste is by no means exceptional, but again, to be what it is and to be as inexpensive as it is, it's decent stuff. The mouth feel is quite watery and poorly impressive. Because it is indeed so inexpensive coupled with its water like weight, it is quite easy to make large quantities of this stuff disappear.

08-24-2003 18:02:13 | More by SilentSabre
brakspear

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev +19.9%

"Just the kiss of the hops" or so the label says. I have not had "The Beer that made Milwaukee famous" in a very long time, and I was pleasently surprised how refreshing the beer was. Now brewed by Miller for the Pabst Marketing Company, this beer was both easy drinking and flavorful for a classic American lager. It pours a very pale gold with decent head and lacing. The aroma is missing much character and is mainly a sweetness from the malts and adjuncts. The taste is very smooth, but still has a nice malty sweetness with a slight kiss of hops in the finish. Overall, not complicated but still a very nice American lager.

08-22-2003 00:23:35 | More by brakspear
sponberg

3.3/5  rDev +13%

In can as it is on tap - basic drinkable beer, a cut above the advertised brands especially in hop character. $2.69 a six pack. Such a deal!!

No idea about the color, as it went from can to mouth on the express train. Smelled like canned beer, meaning that the DMS and malt graininess were accompanied by that can smell. Flavor-wise, it's as it is in bottle - a malty graininess, hints of cooked corn, and a mild hop bitterness that lasts until the end - with the usual and unfortunate addition of that aluminum can flavor. Eminently poundable. If you have the opportunity, buy the bottled version - unfortunately, bottles don't work too well at a speedway.

07-24-2003 18:57:06 | More by sponberg
AudioGilz

2.88/5  rDev -1.4%

It's crystal clear light yellow in color with a fizzy head that quickly becomes air. Aromas and flavors involve some faint sweetness and faint hops. The hops are nice to notice at all, given the style. Alcohol is fairly easily noticeable as well. The best quality is the crispness. It's a refreshing cheap beer and one of my favs when the budget is tight.

07-06-2003 20:40:13 | More by AudioGilz
usualpulp

2.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a thin golden color with a very short lived thin white head. There is a hint of hop smell to the beer, but mostly corn syrup. The taste is fairly bland, quite thin, heavy corn, light hop, medium carbonation. As far as cheap beers go ( got this for $4.50 for a 12pk) it isnt horrible. Not the worst beer I have had, but far from the best. There are several cheap beers I would buy before this one, but if its all there was, I wouldnt complain about drinking it, just isnt my first choice.

07-01-2003 20:48:36 | More by usualpulp
powoo19

2.63/5  rDev -9.9%

First, what amazed me was that Schlitz makes an ice beer. Wow!
With that said, I had this as a joke ona bachelor party, actually shot gunned it.
Later that day I tried it on a slow sipper and it wasn't bad since they filtered the chunks from it. I believe this could be the soul cause of liver disease. Joking aside, the smell was no different then a bud or coors. The taste is not bad but certainly not outstanding. I think it is a beer drinker must at least once! and let me just say:
It doesnt sit well with gin and tonics
and it doesnt feel that great making its way back up.
Schlitz, your grandad drank it, so should you.
Ill stick with PBR and Schaffer

05-17-2003 07:52:28 | More by powoo19
BeerResearcher

1.78/5  rDev -39%

I tried to prepare myself to like this beer, but I couldn't fool myself. My dad liked it in the 32oz bottles in the late 60s/early 70s. He let me sample it in little fruit juice glasses (child abuse?) as we watched Friday Night Fights together. But Schlitz reportedly changed their recipe in 1973. Big mistake!!! Rumors of added formaldehyde flew wild and Schlitz fell from grace. We switched to Narragansett, Knickerbocker or Ballatines. That said, and fond memories aside, this is beer bad. BAD! Straw in color with a thin white head and fast fading lace. The aroma of wet corncob and musty locker room is nearly repulsive. Am I tasting hops or the can? The fizzy effervescence gives way to a mealy pasty mouthfeel as it warms. So drink fast or don’t finish it!

05-01-2003 09:35:03 | More by BeerResearcher
AtLagerHeads

2.85/5  rDev -2.4%

How can you not like a beer named Schlitz? An atypical American lager with a long tradition of decent and consistent beers. This is definitely BTB and a good cheap beer that satisfies in a '50s kind of style. Straw colored and white-headed, the head is short lived and frothy. Typical macro aroma with a sense of adjuncts. Flavorful brew with good grain overtones. Crisp and semi-dry finish, though a bit astringent.

04-13-2003 09:23:24 | More by AtLagerHeads
Jason

3.8/5  rDev +30.1%

16 oz can with no freshness date to be found. “Just a kiss of the hops” and “The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous” on the can.

Appearance: There is some decent lace that formed after the initial rush of foam.

Smell: Thick harshness of corn and hop, other than that no much else in the semi-clean aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Very crisp light body, brash hop bitterness (Cluster?). The graininess takes a bite into the palate, some astringency in the back. Light on the malt with some alcohol in the middle. Clean and dry with a grainy in the finish.

Notes: Hands down this is my choice cheap lager, its right up there with PBR. This beer is served cheap at “real” bars and there is a bigger following for this brand than you think. Once the warm weather hits Schlitz and others like it will be on my mind.

03-21-2003 17:24:41 | More by Jason
Rifrafboy

2.53/5  rDev -13.4%

I admit, this beer takes me back to the 70's. "Just the kiss of the hops" and all that. This poured like an American macro lager, but with a drier head than others. Taste is of malted grains, corn in particular, with a very sweet mouthfeel. Hops are there, to be sure, but weak and unimpressive. The taste is in the malt, where you get a raw, grit-like character. A metalic taste is also present. I will try this in bottles next time.

03-15-2003 14:28:32 | More by Rifrafboy
Frozensoul327

2.88/5  rDev -1.4%

This is a pretty good brew from Milwaukee. It's got a strong flavor of hops and corn, with a slight metallic taste. A touch on the bitter side, but still not enough so that you'd cringe after taking a swig. Kinda hard to find in the Detroit area, but worth a try if you're up to a unique american style lager. I'd say look for the 22 ounce Tall Boy can.

03-07-2003 12:07:24 | More by Frozensoul327
texascarl

Kansas

Appearance = pale golden, big light head that formed quickly, left quicky. Nice lacing. High carbonation

Nose = macro sweet (corn?)

Taste = light, crisp lager. Not half bad for a macro beer. Balanced. Short finish.

A bargain. Not my favorite style, but it packs better taste than some beers that cost twice as much. One of my Grandpa's favorite beers, and he wasn't wrong very often.

03-04-2003 16:05:52 | More by texascarl
stoutman

2.55/5  rDev -12.7%

Light straw color. I think it's just a little darker than some beers in it's class. Slight aroma, mostly mostly BS adjunts (corn or rice?)and alcohol. Watery but with more flavor than Bud or Miller. Slightly salty and acidic after taste. For what you pay, I guess its OK...

02-23-2003 12:26:54 | More by stoutman
elmocoso

2.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a bright golden yellow with a very active head that soon disolves into an average lacy ring around the head of the glass.

Buquet is all maltyness and carbonation. I cant detect even a kiss of the hops.

In my book this beer gets points just for being from the old school. the name is also a bonus and provides ample material for "morning after" jokes.

decent mouthfeel, when considered against otherthings i would find in my grandfathers fridge: Busch etc...

drinkible on a hot summer day.

12-31-2002 15:18:21 | More by elmocoso
Beastdog75

3.2/5  rDev +9.6%

Schlitz is another old school beer that was huge back in the day. My dad was a huge devotee to this beer back when he was in the service. While working behind the bar at a restaurant, he said that they even had Schlitz Dark on tap, which I'm sure has to be an extinct brand by now. The beer that made Milwaukee famous is brewed once again in that city (although by Miller for the Pabst Co.) and is supposedly back to its original recipe.

Schlitz pours a medium straw color with very active carbonation. A good foamy head forms, sticks around for a little bit, and leaves a slight whispy lace. The smell is sweet and grainy, with hints of malt and alcohol. The mouthfeel is watery like other standard American lagers, but has some smoothness to it. The initial taste is quite sweet. A little watery, with graininess taking up a good portion of the flavor, but carries a hint of caramel/malt flavor with some actual hop presence (kind of floral, IMO). Slight dryness in the finish. Easy drinking. The aftertaste is mostly clean, with some of the floral hop taste and graininess carrying over. Schlitz finishes with a hint of alcoholic warmth.

Perhaps nostalgia is clouding my judgement, but I enjoyed this beer thoroughly. I'm going to share one with my dad and get his reaction to it. Maybe not on par with PBR, but I won't turn one of these down. Good lawnmower beer, and it went pretty well with the chips and hot salsa I was eating.

12-30-2002 20:33:12 | More by Beastdog75
Kwak

1.65/5  rDev -43.5%

Schlitz
Head: Thin pale tasteless,and gon in a flash.
Body: Clear empty almost water like a very very pale yellow.
Taste: Ice cold it wasn't to bad but when it warmed up it was awful
heavy skunk taste.

Good name it taste like Schlit!

11-22-2002 19:35:44 | More by Kwak
jackndan

2.6/5  rDev -11%

Schlitz: In long neck 12 ounce bottles, served with a “kiss of hops.” Served cold, this is a palatable American lager. Actually, its not too bad: pours clear, with a bubbly white head, no lace to speak of. Clean crisp aroma and taste, with a hint of adjuncts that distract from an otherwise decent taste. Beats Bud, and MGD, but not in the same class as PBR or Strohs.

11-11-2002 14:42:26 | More by jackndan
bewareOFpenguin

2.5/5  rDev -14.4%

My first beer. Dad used to say,"go get me a beer". I would open it, and take a "sip". Pretty soon I was drinking it when he wasn't looking. They changed the recipe in the 70's otherwise it would be bigger than Bud. I had one about a month ago, and it tasted like water. No after taste, no before taste, just a bland watery taste. I still smile every time I see those faded "Schliz" signs outside the bars where the greatest generation drinks. I think in about 10-20 years Schlitz will be history. Then again, I still drink Moxie.

09-27-2002 08:33:51 | More by bewareOFpenguin
bditty187

Nebraska

2.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Surprise, surprise... Schlitz isn't God awful. It poured a very pale gold (yellow) with a 1/2-inch head, it hung around for a second. If the smell of yuckie, sweet corn weren’t present, it would have been much more inviting. But as is, I could tolerate it. The "kiss of the hops" was enough to give the palate some worthwhile flavors but a grainy-corn taste was detectable as well. It was nicely carbonated and easy to drink. As it warmed it did get sweet and grainy -- in other words drink it cold!

09-19-2002 15:21:48 | More by bditty187
NeroFiddled

3.43/5  rDev +17.5%

I'm not sure who's brewing this right now, but they're doing a good job. The appearance is good, with a nice golden color, although the head retention is lacking. The aroma is very clean, which is to be expected - but is not always the case! The malt has a very nice, round character and there's even a touch of hops. Although I find the flavor a little sweet, it's balanced - partially by the crispness of the light body and effervescence. Never cloying. A little bit better than your average "premium" American-style lager. In fact, I'd drink this over most of the "super-premium's" (Budweiser, MIller High Life, Coors Original).

07-18-2002 09:51:03 | More by NeroFiddled
BeerBob

Nebraska

3.7/5  rDev +26.7%

All it took was just one sip, I've been looking for this beer for the longest time. Not Schlitz, but any beer with the price and the taste. I really have found a beer that I drink my fill, like, and not go broke buying, I am one happy camper...

Taste is slightly salty with a noticeable hops bite. Well carbonated but the head will fizz out quickly leaving nothing but a clean surface to the beer.

I really like this beer... Schlitz!

06-14-2002 15:10:21 | More by BeerBob
aracauna

Georgia

2.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Not really bad looking for an American Lager, but nothing spectacular. A little spiciness on the nose, but that translates into a sharp metallic flavor (from the can perhaps?) Except for the metal taste (that seemed to give me a small headache) there are few unpleasant notes in the flavor. Like most of its brethren, very light flavor, but it has more than some. This beer also has a stronger hop presence than most macro lagers. While this is a pleasant difference, the hops really provide little flavor other than a slight bitterness. While drinkable, I think the rest of the sixer is going into my cooking.

06-06-2002 07:46:11 | More by aracauna
Wildman

1.73/5  rDev -40.8%

Okay, this beer was popular cheep beer in my college days. It is not a bad as some of the others out there, but still I usually would go with plain old Old Milwaukee.

05-31-2002 17:56:21 | More by Wildman
proc

2.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Ah, the old school. I picked up a 40oz. of "The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous" for $1.69 that came complete with its own, perfect-sized paper bag. Pours out to a typical, yellow lager, but maybe slightly darker than the norm. Bright yellow head that settled quickly. Taste is that of a very light caramel. It reminded me of my favorite cheapie, Stroh's. This was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The slogan on the bottle said, "Just the kiss of the hops". Its more like a kiss from your Aunt Betty rather than a from a hot piece of life, but hey, it was drinkable.

05-06-2002 18:12:31 | More by proc
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)