Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev +5.8%

Can provided amid a bunch of stuff given to me for volunteering at 2005 GABF. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the opportunity. While pouring the beer, an aroma hit me that brought back vivid childhood memories of beer can collecting during the craze in the 1970's. As my father didn't drink beer, I could only expand my collection by checking woodsy places where high school kids would party and leave the empties. Schlitz cans were a 'common' and I didn't bother to collect them. Anyway, the whiff I got during the pour took me back to those days of standing in a grove of trees searching through drippy discarded beer cans in hopes of finding a gem amid the trash.

Pours a finger and a half whitish head that's actually kinda sticky, although mostly soda-like. The beer is nearly clear and a dull light straw color. Darker than most other macro lagers. Smells sweet cardboard with a hint of dark hop aroma. Corn. Tastes smooth malty with a hop aromatic that rises in the aftertaste. Hops are dark...probably not tettnanger, closer to spalt but with some hallertauer sweet. The malt is a non-descript sweet and weak. Stronger than most macro lagers, but still weak. Some corn, now that I'm really paying attention to the malt. Carbonation acrid sting on the tongue is also part of the flavor profile and it adds a tin-ish quality that's kinda sharp and serves as a counter-point to the malt and the floral hops. Mouthfeel is on the heavier end of light and carbonation is fine and sharp. The flavors hang on the tongue heavier than the Keystone Light I had last night. As a lawnmower beer, I'd take the KL as it went down more like water. While this Schlitz is definitely better than the KL, it doesn't have a place in my fridge...even as a lawnmower beer. Neither does KL, however, as I can brew myself a 'mild' that would fit the bill even better.

3.75/5  rDev +28.9%

As one friend of mine noted, this is a real man's beer. Not so sure what that means, but for what it is, I have to say that I like it. $5.49 for a 12 pack definitely puts it at the low end price-wise, and compared to most American macros, it's got some character. It pours deep golden with a nice thick head that leaves notable lacing around the glass (go with a chilled pilsner glass over a mug). The taste is clean, crisp, slightly sweet, and the "kiss of the hops" is definitely there.

Beer snobs, yuppies and their larvae will continue to put this down, but I like it. This is a beer that manages to taste good without breaking the bank, which makes it the epitome of the working man's brew. It's what I plan on drinking once I get home tonight, and I wish more places would carry it locally.

3.85/5  rDev +32.3%

Alright, so this is my first review. I've had alot of the micro "yuppie" brews as I call 'em, and of course, alot of them ARE good. However, they're expensive, and being a poor musician, I cannot afford this type of craft brew everyday. SO, I usually do the "every day", cheap American macro to keep me satisfied until I can afford the occasional micro, and today that has lead me to Schlitz. I chose Schlitz mostly for nostalgia reasons, but I HAVE heard a few, mind you, a few GOOD things about the brew too. Here goes...

After a couple cans of Beast Light (while letting my Schlitz chill) I decided to give one a try. The very first thing I noticed was the sweetness that covered my palate! WOW! (Perhaps the Beast Light had something to do with that?) And yes, that self-proclaimed "Kiss Of The Hops" was present AFTER the sweetness disappeared. A bit malty and the presence of corn is there as well. I'm actually surprised that this really isn't as bad as all the "beer snobs" say it is. It is what it is, my friends. An american classic macro beer. Nothing more, nothing less. Why even expect more from something in this class? It's smooth going down and the more I drink it the better it tastes. (Isn't that true of MOST beer?!) Anyway, I just finished off my first can of Schlitz, and I'm not dead. I'm actually glad I tried this, and would have to rate it up there with PBR and Stroh's, but perhaps a bit more sweet and drinkable. I've drank alot of High Life, Lite, and Beast Light, and must say that it's better than those. Better than Bud or Coors as well. Seems to have more of a complexity and quality to it.

Overall, I would buy this again. Paid $12.99 of my wife's hard-earned money for a case too. Not bad considering that it actually has flavor. I believe there's a place inside of us TRUE beer connoiseurs for ALL beer...well, MOST beer. And the old-time American macros are special in their own right, and have a place in my fridge and my heart as much as, if not more than the pricey micros. I don't think anyone should, or even CAN compare apples to oranges. (IE: micros to macros) This beer is good for the class it's in. End of story. An oldie but a goodie, and I believe that it's probably the same as when our dads and grandads drank it. This could very well be one of the few "old school" brews that has maintained it's integrity? Just guessing, though.

In the spirit of good old American beer, I'd recommend Schlitz to anyone who likes GOOD OLD AMERICAN BEER, and who's open-minded. It's a decent brew, and especially for the price.

There's a time and place for everything....Today, it's Schlitz. Tomorrow...who knows? Cheers, my friends! BEER ADVOCATE RULES!!! Ciao for now...(BURP!!..Sorry...I'm on my second Schlitz. :)

3.73/5  rDev +28.2%

Remembering that Schlitz must be judged against its peers as an American macro. Schlitz represents good ol' American value along with decent drinkability. It is dramatic to see how this beer's personality evolves by pouring the can into a pilsner glass; nice chunky 1 inch+ head settles into a nice creamy slick with copious lacing. The classic gold pilsner color is authentic as is the nose, which offers up a generous hops aroma-actually very kolsch like. The taste is quite nice; with decent depth and a light bitterness that is refreshing, unobtrusive, and its easy-going style is quite enjoyable. The mouthfeel is creamy, more so than the appearance might suggest, with a nice hop oil layer left behind in the mouth. If you were to pour this beer into the proper glass and serve it up incognito, I would virtually guarantee your friends & guests will freak-out when they come to realize it's Schlitz!. Drink it ice cold--drink it often; you like it--it likes you!!

2.98/5  rDev +2.4%

Another one of dad's beers... I like Schlitz but can't rate it very high.
There really isn't a great taste/aroma/appearance. It is more of a feeling. I've been drinking Schlitz since college on $1 Schlitz nights. A buck a can.

So... Pours very pale and very unimpressive... smell is slightly of hops (just a kiss) with more rubber than anything.

Lots of carbonation... can hear it bubbling down.

Taste is good. Nothing great. Nothing horrible. Just... average.
But it is okay...

3.48/5  rDev +19.6%

Pale straw color with a decent foamy head. Has a little bit of lacing. The aroma is grainy with a hint of hoppy spice. Hence, " Just the kiss of the hops". The taste is clean and crisp overall. A nice sweetness from the grains and a touch of hops. Light bodied and a great drinkability. Sadly, it is beers like this that are over looked my many people. Schlitz is an example of a classic American lager. A lot of people do not know that Schlitz was America's 1# selling beer years before Budweiser or Miller dominated the market. A perfect warm weather beer at a great price.

3.03/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured into glass. medium yellow. very clear. very little head that dissappears quickly to only a ring around top of glass. typical macro lager with maybe a slightly heavier mouthfeel than most. maybe a little sweeter than average. ok beer but boring. good thirst quencher.

2.95/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a very pale amber color with pure white head. Smell is very light with a slight sweetness. Taste is a bit too sweet for my taste but the finish is a bit crisp and improves my impression of it. Very easy to drink. Makes a good cheap spacer on a hot summer day.

3.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Farewell to Falstaff. Went to Mangia’s for a final can or two since they no longer will be made. In the 60s-70s, one uncle would drink Falstaff, another Hamms (God rest their souls). Dad would work on Schlitz. I was in my early teens, and would always be sent to get them beers. Back then, ya needed a church key to open them – so I would also get a small pull from each, for my troubles.

Well, now had the Schlitz on 2nd Falstaff farewell, Dad’s beer. Geez, actual more malty, sweet and drinkable than the Falstaff. Would not turn one down, but who buys Schlitz anymore?

Farewell to Falstaff and my youth <sigh>

1.95/5  rDev -33%

In my recent pissbeer obsession I had a night of Schlitz and I wouldn't recommend it. After a few of these and you'll be feeling like Schlitz and be running to the bowl the morning after with a case of the schlitz.

I am all for cheap beer, but if you think you are white trash and want a budget brew, save the 50 cents and pick up a 6-er of PBR instead.

This stuff is straight up awful. With so many other decent pissbeer options (PBR) you don't never need to consume this nonsense. Because of the morning-after effects, I give drinkability a 1.0

2.63/5  rDev -9.6%

Just a kiss of the hops! there is a hop bite to this beer, true...but, it isn't exactly a good one. I'm way to spoiled by modern American microbrews exceptional use of hops to even come close to appreciate the "kiss" Schlitz offers...

Smell: Eek....don't even want to comment. Nothing special at all.

Appearance: wow, disgustingly typical of a macrobrew. pale straw color with minimal head. Obviously a mass-produced adjunct lager. This one is better drank out of the can. I made the mistake of pouring it in the pintglass. It's appearance takes away from the enjoyment of drinking it. It's like having sex with an ugly girl....you'd rather do it in the dark. Drink it from the can/bottle...for your sake

Taste: Bitter, but with some refreshing qualities. The refreshing qualities are this beers saving grace, other wise it would be a total dud. The beer hits your palate at first with a grainy character. Some malt and minimal corn is present as well. I also detect a small peck of sweetness. The "kiss of the hops" finishes it off...but it's a pungent/astrigent flavor that doesnt do much for the overall taste of the beer. Despite all this below-averageness...the beer is exceptionally crisp. The crispness keeps it from being a swill beer. This one is best enjoyed ice cold.

Mouthfeel: mmm rather unpleasant. I think bitter would describe the mouthfeel pretty well. It is crisp...but the excess grain and cheap hop flavor just kills any odds at a good mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Alright, this stuff can go down the hatch at a quick pace. It's a cheap lager...what do you expect. Is it a top-notch cheap-ass-lager-session-beer??? No, it's not. Will it do? Yes...it will do, but you could do better for same price.

Here's my thoughts on Shlitz: It's crispness make it a viable cheap lager option, but otherwise....stick to PBR and Milwaukee's Best. They are far superior cheap lagers.

3.3/5  rDev +13.4%

This is one of the better macro lagers that I've had. The color is yellow-golden, head is average-sized and creamy. The smell is adjunct sweet, definently above the average level for this style. Taste is grainy with a adjunct sweet finish. There is more flavor here than expected and no bad aftertaste that I find with a lot of these macro lagers. I'll be having this in my fridge, along with PBR, as a cheap backup brew.

2.05/5  rDev -29.6%

The beer after its disinternment from the 12-ounce can sets in the glass a typical lager golden yellow with a smallish frothy bright white head, the lace covers the pilsner glass in a fine sheet. Nose is crisp and clean and all malt, start is lightly sweet and thinly malted, top is cadaverous in feel. Finish is sternly acidc and the hops as one would expect from the lager style, dry aftertaste, and is as I remembered from my last sample some 4 years ago, "Yuck"!

3.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours golden clear with just a rind of white lacing. The aroma is light in the malt and hops. It is full of adjuncts, corn specifically. The flavor is light in malts with a slight hop flavor and bitterness. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. A very drinkable macro, could be a staple macro for me.

Sampled 6/11/04

3.55/5  rDev +22%

Sclitz pours a farely dark golden color. A big bubbly head settles down quickly. Lots of carbonation.
Smell is of corn adjuncts and a very very small amount of hops.
The taste is very crisp and refreshin and just goes down incredibly smoothly. Doesn't leave the bad aftertaste like most other macros.
I can drink this stuff all night.
This is the only "cheap" beer I drink on a regular basis. Ranks right up there with stroh's.

3.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Schlitz is a very cheap beer with a descent taste. That kiss of hops hits you right up front and then hides leaving a slight malty aftertaste. A little corn here and there. Not as light bodied as a Budweiser, but still light bodied. A very easy beer to drink lots of. I can pick up a case of this locally for under $8. You can't beat that. All of my friends make fun of me for having a case of this in the fridge, these are my Coor's Light/Budweiser drinking friends. After they have a Schlitz to prove to me how bad it is they usually come around and drink my Schlitz over their go-to beer. I have read that the original Schlitz was much more flavorful than the cheap version that we have now. It used to be one of the best selling beers in the USA. I highly recommend a case of Schlitz for heavy drinking. It is far cheaper and tastes better than any of the other macro brews out there.

this is $2.50 a six pack at my corner store so that gets me hyped when im flat broke. this stuff is light golden and clear as can be, no real head to speak of. smells like it tastes, grainy, slightly corny and clean. crisp in the mouth, serve this baby cold and she will do you no wrong. a simple beer that i have no problem drinking.

2.88/5  rDev -1%

12 oz can poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a light golden color that is a bit darker than the usual BMC beer. A very grainy and slightly sweet malty aroma. The taste is light and crisp with a strong corn flavor. A dry finish with a metallic aftertaste (but not too unpleasant).

Overall this is a surprisingly smooth beer. I would definitely drink this over a huge macro any day.

3.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a pale golden from the can with a light, foamy head that actually sticks around for a while. Nice carbonation. Aroma of adjunct malt. Slightly creamy, mostly foamy mouthfeel is more agreeable from the can than from a glass. Flavor is lightly sweet, and, like the can says, has "just a kiss of hops". Not bad at all for a macro. As almost every other recent reviewer says, I'm pleasantly surprised. At $2.59 for a six-pack, this may compete with PBR as my session beer now.

3.88/5  rDev +33.3%

I drank this beer for years, and got a bad batch so I stopped! I am happy to report that the old friend is back! It is hard to beat for the flavor, quality and price! Great head retention! Nice hop taste! Give it a whirl! I would love to see this old heavy hitter make a comeback! There is a brew date on the bottom of the can. This was the second largest brewery in the United States! Will take this over Bud any day!

3.2/5  rDev +10%

Quite frankly, I didn't know this beer was still produced until I happened to stumble across it in the store. I was putting together a "retro beer" collection of old-line names for the 4th of July, so I grabbed a six. I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. Very smooth, with some mild, sweet grain flavor. The label notes "just the kiss of the hops," and that is about right (and the sort of kiss you give your sister, at that), but it was enough to get by. Overall, the beer had a light, lively nature, without giving way to being watery. A strong contender in the lawnmower/lake beer category.

3.55/5  rDev +22%

Clear, pale, light yellow appearance. Sticky ivory white head of decent height. Lace is sporadic. The aroma has some sweet corn character, but there is also some actual malt tones detectable and a trace of hops. Good nose for a macro. On the palate, there is an underlying grainy malt presence that is accentuated by some light hop tones... just a kiss of hops. There is a slight dry and tinny and bitter finish to this one. The carbonation is not too fizzy as it is with some macros.

I have a Great Uncle in Milwaukee who has had this on tap at his tavern for the past 30-40 years. He proclaims it as the best beer around. I won't go that far, but for a macro, this is pretty damn good.

Props to the Big Guy. Thanks for the best macro I've had in a while ZAP!

1.18/5  rDev -59.5%

It hurts me to give my lowest rating to a beer I grew up with.
I debated whether to post at all- what I sampled is a beer gone bad. Although it had 2 months left to pull date and was in a cooler.

Here goes:
Poured nicely, white head falls rapidly, very thin yellow color.

The aroma was my tip off- the smell was akin to soggy cardboard.
I went ahead and tasted- chewy cardboard.

I try all kinds of beer- rarely do I pour out a beer. I dumped this one.

My expectation wasn't high ... despite my nostalgia for $1.25 pitchers of Schlitz in Milwaukee in the late '70's. However, this stuff was wrong. I have to believe that based on other folks ratings I just got stuck. Oh, well just a $2.99 six pack and I still have 5 display cans!

Joseph Schlitz would be disgusted to know how things have changed.

3.15/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours an ultra clear pale yellow with a 1-1/2 finger white head that actually last longer than most macros....imagine that! The smell is made of a grassy twang, light hops, and maybe a little grain. The taste is a light refreshing smooth profile with a hint of grains, slight corn athough not too much, has a touch of hops, and a nice amount of carbonation without the brewery using this to create the the focal point as some other macros do. This is a super light bodied beer that I'm going to enjoy from time to time as my lawnmower beer. Cheers!

1.53/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, I was in the mood to try another macro to see for myself what it was all about. Ordered this, and I swear, the whole bar came to a stop...Anyway, I also got a glass, so my very own pour resulted in the expected yellow clear beer, a small head did dissipate quickly. Aroma was of candy corn. Taste was of yellow carbonation. It was a very tasteless beer. I can't give it out and out 1's, as I drank the whole beer, it wasn't awfuly tasting, just that the taste was lacking. Disapointed in that the can promised me: Just a kiss of the hops, and tastewise, I didn't even get a peck on the cheek. Don't be surprised that I won't get it again ;-)

Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)