Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next › last »
Jason

3.8/5  rDev +30.1%

16 oz can with no freshness date to be found. “Just a kiss of the hops” and “The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous” on the can.

Appearance: There is some decent lace that formed after the initial rush of foam.

Smell: Thick harshness of corn and hop, other than that no much else in the semi-clean aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Very crisp light body, brash hop bitterness (Cluster?). The graininess takes a bite into the palate, some astringency in the back. Light on the malt with some alcohol in the middle. Clean and dry with a grainy in the finish.

Notes: Hands down this is my choice cheap lager, its right up there with PBR. This beer is served cheap at “real” bars and there is a bigger following for this brand than you think. Once the warm weather hits Schlitz and others like it will be on my mind.

03-21-2003 17:24:41 | More by Jason
Rifrafboy

2.53/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I admit, this beer takes me back to the 70's. "Just the kiss of the hops" and all that. This poured like an American macro lager, but with a drier head than others. Taste is of malted grains, corn in particular, with a very sweet mouthfeel. Hops are there, to be sure, but weak and unimpressive. The taste is in the malt, where you get a raw, grit-like character. A metalic taste is also present. I will try this in bottles next time.

03-15-2003 14:28:32 | More by Rifrafboy
Frozensoul327

2.88/5  rDev -1.4%

This is a pretty good brew from Milwaukee. It's got a strong flavor of hops and corn, with a slight metallic taste. A touch on the bitter side, but still not enough so that you'd cringe after taking a swig. Kinda hard to find in the Detroit area, but worth a try if you're up to a unique american style lager. I'd say look for the 22 ounce Tall Boy can.

03-07-2003 12:07:24 | More by Frozensoul327
texascarl

Kansas

Appearance = pale golden, big light head that formed quickly, left quicky. Nice lacing. High carbonation

Nose = macro sweet (corn?)

Taste = light, crisp lager. Not half bad for a macro beer. Balanced. Short finish.

A bargain. Not my favorite style, but it packs better taste than some beers that cost twice as much. One of my Grandpa's favorite beers, and he wasn't wrong very often.

03-04-2003 16:05:52 | More by texascarl
stoutman

2.55/5  rDev -12.7%

Light straw color. I think it's just a little darker than some beers in it's class. Slight aroma, mostly mostly BS adjunts (corn or rice?)and alcohol. Watery but with more flavor than Bud or Miller. Slightly salty and acidic after taste. For what you pay, I guess its OK...

02-23-2003 12:26:54 | More by stoutman
elmocoso

2.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a bright golden yellow with a very active head that soon disolves into an average lacy ring around the head of the glass.

Buquet is all maltyness and carbonation. I cant detect even a kiss of the hops.

In my book this beer gets points just for being from the old school. the name is also a bonus and provides ample material for "morning after" jokes.

decent mouthfeel, when considered against otherthings i would find in my grandfathers fridge: Busch etc...

drinkible on a hot summer day.

12-31-2002 15:18:21 | More by elmocoso
Beastdog75

3.2/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Schlitz is another old school beer that was huge back in the day. My dad was a huge devotee to this beer back when he was in the service. While working behind the bar at a restaurant, he said that they even had Schlitz Dark on tap, which I'm sure has to be an extinct brand by now. The beer that made Milwaukee famous is brewed once again in that city (although by Miller for the Pabst Co.) and is supposedly back to its original recipe.

Schlitz pours a medium straw color with very active carbonation. A good foamy head forms, sticks around for a little bit, and leaves a slight whispy lace. The smell is sweet and grainy, with hints of malt and alcohol. The mouthfeel is watery like other standard American lagers, but has some smoothness to it. The initial taste is quite sweet. A little watery, with graininess taking up a good portion of the flavor, but carries a hint of caramel/malt flavor with some actual hop presence (kind of floral, IMO). Slight dryness in the finish. Easy drinking. The aftertaste is mostly clean, with some of the floral hop taste and graininess carrying over. Schlitz finishes with a hint of alcoholic warmth.

Perhaps nostalgia is clouding my judgement, but I enjoyed this beer thoroughly. I'm going to share one with my dad and get his reaction to it. Maybe not on par with PBR, but I won't turn one of these down. Good lawnmower beer, and it went pretty well with the chips and hot salsa I was eating.

12-30-2002 20:33:12 | More by Beastdog75
Kwak

1.65/5  rDev -43.5%

Schlitz
Head: Thin pale tasteless,and gon in a flash.
Body: Clear empty almost water like a very very pale yellow.
Taste: Ice cold it wasn't to bad but when it warmed up it was awful
heavy skunk taste.

Good name it taste like Schlit!

11-22-2002 19:35:44 | More by Kwak
jackndan

2.6/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Schlitz: In long neck 12 ounce bottles, served with a “kiss of hops.” Served cold, this is a palatable American lager. Actually, its not too bad: pours clear, with a bubbly white head, no lace to speak of. Clean crisp aroma and taste, with a hint of adjuncts that distract from an otherwise decent taste. Beats Bud, and MGD, but not in the same class as PBR or Strohs.

11-11-2002 14:42:26 | More by jackndan
bewareOFpenguin

2.5/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first beer. Dad used to say,"go get me a beer". I would open it, and take a "sip". Pretty soon I was drinking it when he wasn't looking. They changed the recipe in the 70's otherwise it would be bigger than Bud. I had one about a month ago, and it tasted like water. No after taste, no before taste, just a bland watery taste. I still smile every time I see those faded "Schliz" signs outside the bars where the greatest generation drinks. I think in about 10-20 years Schlitz will be history. Then again, I still drink Moxie.

09-27-2002 08:33:51 | More by bewareOFpenguin
bditty187

Nebraska

2.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Surprise, surprise... Schlitz isn't God awful. It poured a very pale gold (yellow) with a 1/2-inch head, it hung around for a second. If the smell of yuckie, sweet corn weren’t present, it would have been much more inviting. But as is, I could tolerate it. The "kiss of the hops" was enough to give the palate some worthwhile flavors but a grainy-corn taste was detectable as well. It was nicely carbonated and easy to drink. As it warmed it did get sweet and grainy -- in other words drink it cold!

09-19-2002 15:21:48 | More by bditty187
NeroFiddled

3.43/5  rDev +17.5%

I'm not sure who's brewing this right now, but they're doing a good job. The appearance is good, with a nice golden color, although the head retention is lacking. The aroma is very clean, which is to be expected - but is not always the case! The malt has a very nice, round character and there's even a touch of hops. Although I find the flavor a little sweet, it's balanced - partially by the crispness of the light body and effervescence. Never cloying. A little bit better than your average "premium" American-style lager. In fact, I'd drink this over most of the "super-premium's" (Budweiser, MIller High Life, Coors Original).

07-18-2002 09:51:03 | More by NeroFiddled
BeerBob

Nebraska

3.7/5  rDev +26.7%

All it took was just one sip, I've been looking for this beer for the longest time. Not Schlitz, but any beer with the price and the taste. I really have found a beer that I drink my fill, like, and not go broke buying, I am one happy camper...

Taste is slightly salty with a noticeable hops bite. Well carbonated but the head will fizz out quickly leaving nothing but a clean surface to the beer.

I really like this beer... Schlitz!

06-14-2002 15:10:21 | More by BeerBob
aracauna

Georgia

2.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Not really bad looking for an American Lager, but nothing spectacular. A little spiciness on the nose, but that translates into a sharp metallic flavor (from the can perhaps?) Except for the metal taste (that seemed to give me a small headache) there are few unpleasant notes in the flavor. Like most of its brethren, very light flavor, but it has more than some. This beer also has a stronger hop presence than most macro lagers. While this is a pleasant difference, the hops really provide little flavor other than a slight bitterness. While drinkable, I think the rest of the sixer is going into my cooking.

06-06-2002 07:46:11 | More by aracauna
Wildman

1.73/5  rDev -40.8%

Okay, this beer was popular cheep beer in my college days. It is not a bad as some of the others out there, but still I usually would go with plain old Old Milwaukee.

05-31-2002 17:56:21 | More by Wildman
proc

2.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Ah, the old school. I picked up a 40oz. of "The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous" for $1.69 that came complete with its own, perfect-sized paper bag. Pours out to a typical, yellow lager, but maybe slightly darker than the norm. Bright yellow head that settled quickly. Taste is that of a very light caramel. It reminded me of my favorite cheapie, Stroh's. This was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The slogan on the bottle said, "Just the kiss of the hops". Its more like a kiss from your Aunt Betty rather than a from a hot piece of life, but hey, it was drinkable.

05-06-2002 18:12:31 | More by proc
Pegasus

3.43/5  rDev +17.5%

Pale golden color with a thin and modest head that disappears quickly, faint lace. Aroma of hops with faint grain notes. Excellent flavor, quite crisp and refreshing. Begins with aggressive hops and stinging carbonation, slightly sweet. Grain flavors assert themselves midway through the tasting and a mild burst of hops finishes.

I had not tried this beer since my college days and was very surprised. Schlitz labors under the twin stigmas of being a macro brew and being inexpensive. In my opinion, this beer is very hard to beat for the money or if no favored brew is available. Try a blind taste test of Schlitz against against some other macros and you will realize just how good it is - an underrated American classic.

05-05-2002 19:10:06 | More by Pegasus
packetknife

Idaho

1.8/5  rDev -38.4%

So I remembered reading years ago that Schlitz was one of the best low-cost canned beers. I'm not sure if it's changed or if the reviewer was smoking crack. It was a slight hint of citrus. Otherwise it's more or less a mix of Zima and Coors with a bit of Evian added.

04-28-2002 07:47:13 | More by packetknife
ZAP

3.33/5  rDev +14%

I thought I rated this one awhile back but I guess not...This is actually one of the better macro brewed lagers out there. It has more hopping than most(all?) and has more character than most. I can see why in the early 70's when all there was to chose from among the main brands was Bud, Pabst, Stroh's, Miller, Blatz and Schlitz in the Milwaukee area that this was a favorite of many. I imagine is was what microbrews are to us all now. A step up...a little more character..hops..and taste. This is a clean, crisp, lager/pilsner that penny for penny rates among the best out there for Macro's

04-03-2002 21:37:21 | More by ZAP
canoehornpoint

3.05/5  rDev +4.5%

this beats the heck out of most of the cheap (or not so cheap) american macro beers. you can actually taste the hops, it's not just the bland blah blah lots of adjunct beer milwaukee makes. this is underrated but i wouldn't go out of my way for it.

03-31-2002 14:51:45 | More by canoehornpoint
John

2.05/5  rDev -29.8%

For what it is, it's drinkable. A buddy of mine used to swear by this stuff.

10-26-2001 13:56:59 | More by John
Todd

Colorado

3.5/5  rDev +19.9%

It's hard to knock such a classic piece of American beer history. Sure it's not the best but I still love it's easy drinkability and touch of hops and sweetness.

$2 a pint down at one of my locals. Gotta love that!

11-07-2000 12:52:43 | More by Todd
« first ‹ prev | 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next › last »
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)