Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
3.15/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours an ultra clear pale yellow with a 1-1/2 finger white head that actually last longer than most macros....imagine that! The smell is made of a grassy twang, light hops, and maybe a little grain. The taste is a light refreshing smooth profile with a hint of grains, slight corn athough not too much, has a touch of hops, and a nice amount of carbonation without the brewery using this to create the the focal point as some other macros do. This is a super light bodied beer that I'm going to enjoy from time to time as my lawnmower beer. Cheers!

BeerAngel, Mar 08, 2004
1.53/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, I was in the mood to try another macro to see for myself what it was all about. Ordered this, and I swear, the whole bar came to a stop...Anyway, I also got a glass, so my very own pour resulted in the expected yellow clear beer, a small head did dissipate quickly. Aroma was of candy corn. Taste was of yellow carbonation. It was a very tasteless beer. I can't give it out and out 1's, as I drank the whole beer, it wasn't awfuly tasting, just that the taste was lacking. Disapointed in that the can promised me: Just a kiss of the hops, and tastewise, I didn't even get a peck on the cheek. Don't be surprised that I won't get it again ;-)

PatandDavid, Feb 01, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a light golden color with a thin, 1/2 inch, head that goes away fast. Minimal lacing, plenty of carbonation.

Smell was faint.

Taste was bold at first with a tangy, slightly harsh, aftertaste. Taste faded as beer warmed.

Mouthfeel was light and watery.

Drinkability was smooth and pleasant. Not a bad little beer for a cheap price.

masterbruewer, Nov 30, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +33.6%

There's just something about this beer that I really dig. Now that I have had it, it makes me wonder why it took me 3 years to try it. It's damn cheap, 2.50 a 6er, so I figured if it sucked, I wouldn't be out too much. Anyways, it was a very light beer, except had a little bit of hoppiness and a little bit if maltiness. It was balanced out very well. I can't really say much else. it's just a good beer. It's one of those great beers that have no standout traits I guess. I would rank it better than PBR.

JISurfer, Nov 19, 2003
2.5/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Its got that sick pale gold/water color look going on, and the smell is not very appealing. There isnt too much going on with the taste, pretty standard for this price. There actually is a kiss of hops, but its just a peck. Im not sure what this beer made milwaukee famous for, but it cant be too good. Not the worst beer in this catagory however, and it is better priced than a lot of the crappier compatition.

Tballz420, Sep 13, 2003
2.88/5  rDev -1.4%

An OK beer decidedly for a macro lager. Pours a crisp goldent tone, very clean with a slight white head and some inner carbonation with some lacing being gradually left behind, though thin. The smell is very strong, With a hint of alcohol and hops above anything else. The taste is strong, bitter and with the feel of the alcohol dominating the basics, slightly like a more mild and upgraded heineken style lager. I'll have another one along the way, it's not a bad buy but there are better.

Andreji, Sep 01, 2003
3.05/5  rDev +4.5%

To be what it is, Schlitz isn't that bad. Yes it is an American beer, but it is most certainly better than Bud and the other "yellow stuff". It looks almost like other American beers, just slightly different, with an immediately noticeably different smell (for the better for sure). The taste is by no means exceptional, but again, to be what it is and to be as inexpensive as it is, it's decent stuff. The mouth feel is quite watery and poorly impressive. Because it is indeed so inexpensive coupled with its water like weight, it is quite easy to make large quantities of this stuff disappear.

SilentSabre, Aug 24, 2003
3.5/5  rDev +19.9%

"Just the kiss of the hops" or so the label says. I have not had "The Beer that made Milwaukee famous" in a very long time, and I was pleasently surprised how refreshing the beer was. Now brewed by Miller for the Pabst Marketing Company, this beer was both easy drinking and flavorful for a classic American lager. It pours a very pale gold with decent head and lacing. The aroma is missing much character and is mainly a sweetness from the malts and adjuncts. The taste is very smooth, but still has a nice malty sweetness with a slight kiss of hops in the finish. Overall, not complicated but still a very nice American lager.

brakspear, Aug 22, 2003
3.3/5  rDev +13%

In can as it is on tap - basic drinkable beer, a cut above the advertised brands especially in hop character. $2.69 a six pack. Such a deal!!

No idea about the color, as it went from can to mouth on the express train. Smelled like canned beer, meaning that the DMS and malt graininess were accompanied by that can smell. Flavor-wise, it's as it is in bottle - a malty graininess, hints of cooked corn, and a mild hop bitterness that lasts until the end - with the usual and unfortunate addition of that aluminum can flavor. Eminently poundable. If you have the opportunity, buy the bottled version - unfortunately, bottles don't work too well at a speedway.

sponberg, Jul 24, 2003
2.88/5  rDev -1.4%

It's crystal clear light yellow in color with a fizzy head that quickly becomes air. Aromas and flavors involve some faint sweetness and faint hops. The hops are nice to notice at all, given the style. Alcohol is fairly easily noticeable as well. The best quality is the crispness. It's a refreshing cheap beer and one of my favs when the budget is tight.

AudioGilz, Jul 06, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a thin golden color with a very short lived thin white head. There is a hint of hop smell to the beer, but mostly corn syrup. The taste is fairly bland, quite thin, heavy corn, light hop, medium carbonation. As far as cheap beers go ( got this for $4.50 for a 12pk) it isnt horrible. Not the worst beer I have had, but far from the best. There are several cheap beers I would buy before this one, but if its all there was, I wouldnt complain about drinking it, just isnt my first choice.

usualpulp, Jul 01, 2003
2.63/5  rDev -9.9%

First, what amazed me was that Schlitz makes an ice beer. Wow!
With that said, I had this as a joke ona bachelor party, actually shot gunned it.
Later that day I tried it on a slow sipper and it wasn't bad since they filtered the chunks from it. I believe this could be the soul cause of liver disease. Joking aside, the smell was no different then a bud or coors. The taste is not bad but certainly not outstanding. I think it is a beer drinker must at least once! and let me just say:
It doesnt sit well with gin and tonics
and it doesnt feel that great making its way back up.
Schlitz, your grandad drank it, so should you.
Ill stick with PBR and Schaffer

powoo19, May 17, 2003
1.78/5  rDev -39%

I tried to prepare myself to like this beer, but I couldn't fool myself. My dad liked it in the 32oz bottles in the late 60s/early 70s. He let me sample it in little fruit juice glasses (child abuse?) as we watched Friday Night Fights together. But Schlitz reportedly changed their recipe in 1973. Big mistake!!! Rumors of added formaldehyde flew wild and Schlitz fell from grace. We switched to Narragansett, Knickerbocker or Ballatines. That said, and fond memories aside, this is beer bad. BAD! Straw in color with a thin white head and fast fading lace. The aroma of wet corncob and musty locker room is nearly repulsive. Am I tasting hops or the can? The fizzy effervescence gives way to a mealy pasty mouthfeel as it warms. So drink fast or don’t finish it!

BeerResearcher, May 01, 2003
2.85/5  rDev -2.4%

How can you not like a beer named Schlitz? An atypical American lager with a long tradition of decent and consistent beers. This is definitely BTB and a good cheap beer that satisfies in a '50s kind of style. Straw colored and white-headed, the head is short lived and frothy. Typical macro aroma with a sense of adjuncts. Flavorful brew with good grain overtones. Crisp and semi-dry finish, though a bit astringent.

AtLagerHeads, Apr 13, 2003
3.8/5  rDev +30.1%

16 oz can with no freshness date to be found. “Just a kiss of the hops” and “The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous” on the can.

Appearance: There is some decent lace that formed after the initial rush of foam.

Smell: Thick harshness of corn and hop, other than that no much else in the semi-clean aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Very crisp light body, brash hop bitterness (Cluster?). The graininess takes a bite into the palate, some astringency in the back. Light on the malt with some alcohol in the middle. Clean and dry with a grainy in the finish.

Notes: Hands down this is my choice cheap lager, its right up there with PBR. This beer is served cheap at “real” bars and there is a bigger following for this brand than you think. Once the warm weather hits Schlitz and others like it will be on my mind.

Jason, Mar 21, 2003
2.53/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I admit, this beer takes me back to the 70's. "Just the kiss of the hops" and all that. This poured like an American macro lager, but with a drier head than others. Taste is of malted grains, corn in particular, with a very sweet mouthfeel. Hops are there, to be sure, but weak and unimpressive. The taste is in the malt, where you get a raw, grit-like character. A metalic taste is also present. I will try this in bottles next time.

Rifrafboy, Mar 15, 2003
2.88/5  rDev -1.4%

This is a pretty good brew from Milwaukee. It's got a strong flavor of hops and corn, with a slight metallic taste. A touch on the bitter side, but still not enough so that you'd cringe after taking a swig. Kinda hard to find in the Detroit area, but worth a try if you're up to a unique american style lager. I'd say look for the 22 ounce Tall Boy can.

Frozensoul327, Mar 07, 2003

Appearance = pale golden, big light head that formed quickly, left quicky. Nice lacing. High carbonation

Nose = macro sweet (corn?)

Taste = light, crisp lager. Not half bad for a macro beer. Balanced. Short finish.

A bargain. Not my favorite style, but it packs better taste than some beers that cost twice as much. One of my Grandpa's favorite beers, and he wasn't wrong very often.

texascarl, Mar 04, 2003
2.55/5  rDev -12.7%

Light straw color. I think it's just a little darker than some beers in it's class. Slight aroma, mostly mostly BS adjunts (corn or rice?)and alcohol. Watery but with more flavor than Bud or Miller. Slightly salty and acidic after taste. For what you pay, I guess its OK...

stoutman, Feb 23, 2003
2.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a bright golden yellow with a very active head that soon disolves into an average lacy ring around the head of the glass.

Buquet is all maltyness and carbonation. I cant detect even a kiss of the hops.

In my book this beer gets points just for being from the old school. the name is also a bonus and provides ample material for "morning after" jokes.

decent mouthfeel, when considered against otherthings i would find in my grandfathers fridge: Busch etc...

drinkible on a hot summer day.

elmocoso, Dec 31, 2002
3.2/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Schlitz is another old school beer that was huge back in the day. My dad was a huge devotee to this beer back when he was in the service. While working behind the bar at a restaurant, he said that they even had Schlitz Dark on tap, which I'm sure has to be an extinct brand by now. The beer that made Milwaukee famous is brewed once again in that city (although by Miller for the Pabst Co.) and is supposedly back to its original recipe.

Schlitz pours a medium straw color with very active carbonation. A good foamy head forms, sticks around for a little bit, and leaves a slight whispy lace. The smell is sweet and grainy, with hints of malt and alcohol. The mouthfeel is watery like other standard American lagers, but has some smoothness to it. The initial taste is quite sweet. A little watery, with graininess taking up a good portion of the flavor, but carries a hint of caramel/malt flavor with some actual hop presence (kind of floral, IMO). Slight dryness in the finish. Easy drinking. The aftertaste is mostly clean, with some of the floral hop taste and graininess carrying over. Schlitz finishes with a hint of alcoholic warmth.

Perhaps nostalgia is clouding my judgement, but I enjoyed this beer thoroughly. I'm going to share one with my dad and get his reaction to it. Maybe not on par with PBR, but I won't turn one of these down. Good lawnmower beer, and it went pretty well with the chips and hot salsa I was eating.

Beastdog75, Dec 30, 2002
1.65/5  rDev -43.5%

Schlitz
Head: Thin pale tasteless,and gon in a flash.
Body: Clear empty almost water like a very very pale yellow.
Taste: Ice cold it wasn't to bad but when it warmed up it was awful
heavy skunk taste.

Good name it taste like Schlit!

Kwak, Nov 22, 2002
2.6/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Schlitz: In long neck 12 ounce bottles, served with a “kiss of hops.” Served cold, this is a palatable American lager. Actually, its not too bad: pours clear, with a bubbly white head, no lace to speak of. Clean crisp aroma and taste, with a hint of adjuncts that distract from an otherwise decent taste. Beats Bud, and MGD, but not in the same class as PBR or Strohs.

jackndan, Nov 11, 2002
2.5/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first beer. Dad used to say,"go get me a beer". I would open it, and take a "sip". Pretty soon I was drinking it when he wasn't looking. They changed the recipe in the 70's otherwise it would be bigger than Bud. I had one about a month ago, and it tasted like water. No after taste, no before taste, just a bland watery taste. I still smile every time I see those faded "Schliz" signs outside the bars where the greatest generation drinks. I think in about 10-20 years Schlitz will be history. Then again, I still drink Moxie.

bewareOFpenguin, Sep 27, 2002
2.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Surprise, surprise... Schlitz isn't God awful. It poured a very pale gold (yellow) with a 1/2-inch head, it hung around for a second. If the smell of yuckie, sweet corn weren’t present, it would have been much more inviting. But as is, I could tolerate it. The "kiss of the hops" was enough to give the palate some worthwhile flavors but a grainy-corn taste was detectable as well. It was nicely carbonated and easy to drink. As it warmed it did get sweet and grainy -- in other words drink it cold!

bditty187, Sep 19, 2002
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)