Schlitz - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz

poor

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /106/44315

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-29-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Farewell to Falstaff. Went to Mangia’s for a final can or two since they no longer will be made. In the 60s-70s, one uncle would drink Falstaff, another Hamms (God rest their souls). Dad would work on Schlitz. I was in my early teens, and would always be sent to get them beers. Back then, ya needed a church key to open them – so I would also get a small pull from each, for my troubles.

Well, now had the Schlitz on 2nd Falstaff farewell, Dad’s beer. Geez, actual more malty, sweet and drinkable than the Falstaff. Would not turn one down, but who buys Schlitz anymore?

Farewell to Falstaff and my youth <sigh>

Vancer, Jun 10, 2005
1.95/5  rDev -33%

In my recent pissbeer obsession I had a night of Schlitz and I wouldn't recommend it. After a few of these and you'll be feeling like Schlitz and be running to the bowl the morning after with a case of the schlitz.

I am all for cheap beer, but if you think you are white trash and want a budget brew, save the 50 cents and pick up a 6-er of PBR instead.

This stuff is straight up awful. With so many other decent pissbeer options (PBR) you don't never need to consume this nonsense. Because of the morning-after effects, I give drinkability a 1.0

pgroove, Apr 26, 2005
2.63/5  rDev -9.6%

Just a kiss of the hops! there is a hop bite to this beer, true...but, it isn't exactly a good one. I'm way to spoiled by modern American microbrews exceptional use of hops to even come close to appreciate the "kiss" Schlitz offers...

Smell: Eek....don't even want to comment. Nothing special at all.

Appearance: wow, disgustingly typical of a macrobrew. pale straw color with minimal head. Obviously a mass-produced adjunct lager. This one is better drank out of the can. I made the mistake of pouring it in the pintglass. It's appearance takes away from the enjoyment of drinking it. It's like having sex with an ugly girl....you'd rather do it in the dark. Drink it from the can/bottle...for your sake

Taste: Bitter, but with some refreshing qualities. The refreshing qualities are this beers saving grace, other wise it would be a total dud. The beer hits your palate at first with a grainy character. Some malt and minimal corn is present as well. I also detect a small peck of sweetness. The "kiss of the hops" finishes it off...but it's a pungent/astrigent flavor that doesnt do much for the overall taste of the beer. Despite all this below-averageness...the beer is exceptionally crisp. The crispness keeps it from being a swill beer. This one is best enjoyed ice cold.

Mouthfeel: mmm rather unpleasant. I think bitter would describe the mouthfeel pretty well. It is crisp...but the excess grain and cheap hop flavor just kills any odds at a good mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Alright, this stuff can go down the hatch at a quick pace. It's a cheap lager...what do you expect. Is it a top-notch cheap-ass-lager-session-beer??? No, it's not. Will it do? Yes...it will do, but you could do better for same price.

Here's my thoughts on Shlitz: It's crispness make it a viable cheap lager option, but otherwise....stick to PBR and Milwaukee's Best. They are far superior cheap lagers.

maek228, Mar 20, 2005
3.3/5  rDev +13.4%

This is one of the better macro lagers that I've had. The color is yellow-golden, head is average-sized and creamy. The smell is adjunct sweet, definently above the average level for this style. Taste is grainy with a adjunct sweet finish. There is more flavor here than expected and no bad aftertaste that I find with a lot of these macro lagers. I'll be having this in my fridge, along with PBR, as a cheap backup brew.

Gagnonsux, Mar 12, 2005
2.05/5  rDev -29.6%

The beer after its disinternment from the 12-ounce can sets in the glass a typical lager golden yellow with a smallish frothy bright white head, the lace covers the pilsner glass in a fine sheet. Nose is crisp and clean and all malt, start is lightly sweet and thinly malted, top is cadaverous in feel. Finish is sternly acidc and the hops as one would expect from the lager style, dry aftertaste, and is as I remembered from my last sample some 4 years ago, "Yuck"!

Gusler, Dec 22, 2004
3.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours golden clear with just a rind of white lacing. The aroma is light in the malt and hops. It is full of adjuncts, corn specifically. The flavor is light in malts with a slight hop flavor and bitterness. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. A very drinkable macro, could be a staple macro for me.

Sampled 6/11/04

BeerBuilder, Nov 21, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +22%

Sclitz pours a farely dark golden color. A big bubbly head settles down quickly. Lots of carbonation.
Smell is of corn adjuncts and a very very small amount of hops.
The taste is very crisp and refreshin and just goes down incredibly smoothly. Doesn't leave the bad aftertaste like most other macros.
I can drink this stuff all night.
This is the only "cheap" beer I drink on a regular basis. Ranks right up there with stroh's.

Bruiser81, Sep 18, 2004
3.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Schlitz is a very cheap beer with a descent taste. That kiss of hops hits you right up front and then hides leaving a slight malty aftertaste. A little corn here and there. Not as light bodied as a Budweiser, but still light bodied. A very easy beer to drink lots of. I can pick up a case of this locally for under $8. You can't beat that. All of my friends make fun of me for having a case of this in the fridge, these are my Coor's Light/Budweiser drinking friends. After they have a Schlitz to prove to me how bad it is they usually come around and drink my Schlitz over their go-to beer. I have read that the original Schlitz was much more flavorful than the cheap version that we have now. It used to be one of the best selling beers in the USA. I highly recommend a case of Schlitz for heavy drinking. It is far cheaper and tastes better than any of the other macro brews out there.

dren, Aug 27, 2004

this is $2.50 a six pack at my corner store so that gets me hyped when im flat broke. this stuff is light golden and clear as can be, no real head to speak of. smells like it tastes, grainy, slightly corny and clean. crisp in the mouth, serve this baby cold and she will do you no wrong. a simple beer that i have no problem drinking.

DESTRO, Aug 22, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -1%

12 oz can poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a light golden color that is a bit darker than the usual BMC beer. A very grainy and slightly sweet malty aroma. The taste is light and crisp with a strong corn flavor. A dry finish with a metallic aftertaste (but not too unpleasant).

Overall this is a surprisingly smooth beer. I would definitely drink this over a huge macro any day.

BJ1833, Aug 05, 2004
3.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a pale golden from the can with a light, foamy head that actually sticks around for a while. Nice carbonation. Aroma of adjunct malt. Slightly creamy, mostly foamy mouthfeel is more agreeable from the can than from a glass. Flavor is lightly sweet, and, like the can says, has "just a kiss of hops". Not bad at all for a macro. As almost every other recent reviewer says, I'm pleasantly surprised. At $2.59 for a six-pack, this may compete with PBR as my session beer now.

ElGordo, Aug 01, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +33.3%

I drank this beer for years, and got a bad batch so I stopped! I am happy to report that the old friend is back! It is hard to beat for the flavor, quality and price! Great head retention! Nice hop taste! Give it a whirl! I would love to see this old heavy hitter make a comeback! There is a brew date on the bottom of the can. This was the second largest brewery in the United States! Will take this over Bud any day!

ThirstyOne, Jul 17, 2004
3.2/5  rDev +10%

Quite frankly, I didn't know this beer was still produced until I happened to stumble across it in the store. I was putting together a "retro beer" collection of old-line names for the 4th of July, so I grabbed a six. I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. Very smooth, with some mild, sweet grain flavor. The label notes "just the kiss of the hops," and that is about right (and the sort of kiss you give your sister, at that), but it was enough to get by. Overall, the beer had a light, lively nature, without giving way to being watery. A strong contender in the lawnmower/lake beer category.

Brent, Jul 06, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +22%

Clear, pale, light yellow appearance. Sticky ivory white head of decent height. Lace is sporadic. The aroma has some sweet corn character, but there is also some actual malt tones detectable and a trace of hops. Good nose for a macro. On the palate, there is an underlying grainy malt presence that is accentuated by some light hop tones... just a kiss of hops. There is a slight dry and tinny and bitter finish to this one. The carbonation is not too fizzy as it is with some macros.

I have a Great Uncle in Milwaukee who has had this on tap at his tavern for the past 30-40 years. He proclaims it as the best beer around. I won't go that far, but for a macro, this is pretty damn good.

Props to the Big Guy. Thanks for the best macro I've had in a while ZAP!

Bighuge, Jun 09, 2004
1.18/5  rDev -59.5%

It hurts me to give my lowest rating to a beer I grew up with.
I debated whether to post at all- what I sampled is a beer gone bad. Although it had 2 months left to pull date and was in a cooler.

Here goes:
Poured nicely, white head falls rapidly, very thin yellow color.

The aroma was my tip off- the smell was akin to soggy cardboard.
I went ahead and tasted- chewy cardboard.

I try all kinds of beer- rarely do I pour out a beer. I dumped this one.

My expectation wasn't high ... despite my nostalgia for $1.25 pitchers of Schlitz in Milwaukee in the late '70's. However, this stuff was wrong. I have to believe that based on other folks ratings I just got stuck. Oh, well just a $2.99 six pack and I still have 5 display cans!

Joseph Schlitz would be disgusted to know how things have changed.

brewQ, Mar 13, 2004
3.15/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours an ultra clear pale yellow with a 1-1/2 finger white head that actually last longer than most macros....imagine that! The smell is made of a grassy twang, light hops, and maybe a little grain. The taste is a light refreshing smooth profile with a hint of grains, slight corn athough not too much, has a touch of hops, and a nice amount of carbonation without the brewery using this to create the the focal point as some other macros do. This is a super light bodied beer that I'm going to enjoy from time to time as my lawnmower beer. Cheers!

BeerAngel, Mar 08, 2004
1.53/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, I was in the mood to try another macro to see for myself what it was all about. Ordered this, and I swear, the whole bar came to a stop...Anyway, I also got a glass, so my very own pour resulted in the expected yellow clear beer, a small head did dissipate quickly. Aroma was of candy corn. Taste was of yellow carbonation. It was a very tasteless beer. I can't give it out and out 1's, as I drank the whole beer, it wasn't awfuly tasting, just that the taste was lacking. Disapointed in that the can promised me: Just a kiss of the hops, and tastewise, I didn't even get a peck on the cheek. Don't be surprised that I won't get it again ;-)

PatandDavid, Feb 01, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a light golden color with a thin, 1/2 inch, head that goes away fast. Minimal lacing, plenty of carbonation.

Smell was faint.

Taste was bold at first with a tangy, slightly harsh, aftertaste. Taste faded as beer warmed.

Mouthfeel was light and watery.

Drinkability was smooth and pleasant. Not a bad little beer for a cheap price.

masterbruewer, Nov 30, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +34%

There's just something about this beer that I really dig. Now that I have had it, it makes me wonder why it took me 3 years to try it. It's damn cheap, 2.50 a 6er, so I figured if it sucked, I wouldn't be out too much. Anyways, it was a very light beer, except had a little bit of hoppiness and a little bit if maltiness. It was balanced out very well. I can't really say much else. it's just a good beer. It's one of those great beers that have no standout traits I guess. I would rank it better than PBR.

JISurfer, Nov 19, 2003
2.5/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Its got that sick pale gold/water color look going on, and the smell is not very appealing. There isnt too much going on with the taste, pretty standard for this price. There actually is a kiss of hops, but its just a peck. Im not sure what this beer made milwaukee famous for, but it cant be too good. Not the worst beer in this catagory however, and it is better priced than a lot of the crappier compatition.

Tballz420, Sep 13, 2003
2.88/5  rDev -1%

An OK beer decidedly for a macro lager. Pours a crisp goldent tone, very clean with a slight white head and some inner carbonation with some lacing being gradually left behind, though thin. The smell is very strong, With a hint of alcohol and hops above anything else. The taste is strong, bitter and with the feel of the alcohol dominating the basics, slightly like a more mild and upgraded heineken style lager. I'll have another one along the way, it's not a bad buy but there are better.

Andreji, Sep 01, 2003
3.05/5  rDev +4.8%

To be what it is, Schlitz isn't that bad. Yes it is an American beer, but it is most certainly better than Bud and the other "yellow stuff". It looks almost like other American beers, just slightly different, with an immediately noticeably different smell (for the better for sure). The taste is by no means exceptional, but again, to be what it is and to be as inexpensive as it is, it's decent stuff. The mouth feel is quite watery and poorly impressive. Because it is indeed so inexpensive coupled with its water like weight, it is quite easy to make large quantities of this stuff disappear.

SilentSabre, Aug 24, 2003
3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

"Just the kiss of the hops" or so the label says. I have not had "The Beer that made Milwaukee famous" in a very long time, and I was pleasently surprised how refreshing the beer was. Now brewed by Miller for the Pabst Marketing Company, this beer was both easy drinking and flavorful for a classic American lager. It pours a very pale gold with decent head and lacing. The aroma is missing much character and is mainly a sweetness from the malts and adjuncts. The taste is very smooth, but still has a nice malty sweetness with a slight kiss of hops in the finish. Overall, not complicated but still a very nice American lager.

brakspear, Aug 22, 2003
3.3/5  rDev +13.4%

In can as it is on tap - basic drinkable beer, a cut above the advertised brands especially in hop character. $2.69 a six pack. Such a deal!!

No idea about the color, as it went from can to mouth on the express train. Smelled like canned beer, meaning that the DMS and malt graininess were accompanied by that can smell. Flavor-wise, it's as it is in bottle - a malty graininess, hints of cooked corn, and a mild hop bitterness that lasts until the end - with the usual and unfortunate addition of that aluminum can flavor. Eminently poundable. If you have the opportunity, buy the bottled version - unfortunately, bottles don't work too well at a speedway.

sponberg, Jul 24, 2003
2.88/5  rDev -1%

It's crystal clear light yellow in color with a fizzy head that quickly becomes air. Aromas and flavors involve some faint sweetness and faint hops. The hops are nice to notice at all, given the style. Alcohol is fairly easily noticeable as well. The best quality is the crispness. It's a refreshing cheap beer and one of my favs when the budget is tight.

AudioGilz, Jul 06, 2003
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)