Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-27-2002

2.43/5  rDev -9%

Soooooo on the way back from a longggggg day on the job I'm cruising on a janky exit from the highway needing a pack of smoke and decide to stop at the nearest convenience store I can find. Low and behold I stumble upon cases and cases of this and other bottom of the barrel Malt liquors for $1 a piece or $15 for a case of 24.

Curiosity may kill the cat, But tonight is not a night for fancy aristocratic swill to grace my palate, it's a night for GETTING DRUNK. So begins the conquest..

Look - Darker shade of yellow with a big ole frothy white head with bubbles popping like a volcano getting ready to erupt. The head does not cling very well and it eventually recedes to but a ghost within your glass without a touch of lacing.

Smell - WOOOHOOOOO, Alcohol and lots of it. I can almost smell the obama phone in this one!.

Taste - Alcoholic everywhere, but it isn't all that offensive. a pleasant, mouth numbing touch of alcohol. The usual graininess and finishes a tad sweet.

Feel - Medium bodied with a touch of the carbonation for measure.

Overall - Not really that bad. Smells more alcoholic than it turned out to be.

2.28/5  rDev -14.6%

Straight from the 24 oz can. Can't tell what the appearance is cuz it's just a small hole in the top of the can. The aroma smelled a lot like aluminum with a touch of corn. The taste was pretty close to the smell, kinda not very nice. The mouthfeel was pure AAL, watery, with a bit of of carbonation. Overall, this beer brought back the old high school daze, fun, but glad it was behind me.

3.19/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at the LCBO for $4.10 for a 650ml bottle. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens ok and pours a tiny white head that is gone in seconds. Medium gold color and filtered clear

S- Some hops and malt but mild

T- Good general brew. North American style all the way and a decent example of it. Has a good hop base compared to similar styles.

M- A bit creamy which is a plus

O- Good North American beer. Have had a lot worse than this one.

Food Pairing

This pretty strong flavored brew went well with....... BBQ'd hot dogs. Top 'em the way you like 'em

3.75/5  rDev +40.4%

Schlitz O.M.L Malt Liquor brewed by JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. This brew has an ABV of 5.9% The pour on this brew is nice. This brew pours out a nice golden amber color with a nice white head. The smell is corn with some grans. There is nothing bad about this brew so far. There is a lot corn in the taste of this brew but it has a nice balance to it. This brew goes down nice for having a 5.9% ABV. Schlitz Malt Liquor is one of the better Malt Liquors on the market. There is nothing over powering in this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.75 out of 5. I would get this brew again.

2.21/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

2012 Schlitz Original - Reviewed 10/21/2012

Appearance: Schlitz pours a pale straw color with extremely visible carbonation. The head explodes in malty goodness, but dissipates into a light dusting. I shed a nostalgic tear as a gaze upon the beauty of 172 years of love poured into my tasting glass.

Smell: Immediately the aroma of my alcoholic uncle's breath comes through the bouquet of malts and hops. The nose is lovingly caressed by golden ears of corn and barley. Sugary sweetness makes the heart beat fonder in anticipation.

Taste: Truly the original malt liquor, Schlitz tastes like the days when men used to drunkenly crash their boats into large rocks. We start off smooth but develop into a more complex profile of grains and a bit of spice on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Schlitz greets the tongue with velvety smoothness and invites you to come back for more. Light-bodied and refreshing, this malt liquor prances and plays across the pallet.

Overall: Schlitz is the epitome of average, the everyman's beer. And I love it. Pairs well with creamed corn or biscuits and gravy. Best enjoyed at the tailgate table with a bag of Sam's Club potato chips, or around a tire-fire with an extreme spicy Slim-Jim. Either way, stock up on Schlitz original today!

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

An excellent American Malt Liquor. Schlitz OML has a malty character with slight fusel alcohol note mixed with an apple meets bready overtone with slight grassy character. It is rich by malt liquor standards. Tastes pleasant. Drink only when cold. It is horrid warm. I have drank this in cans and in 40 ounce bottles. I favor it in 40's. Does nothing wrong in malt liquor. Only Colt 45 for me is a better malt liquor, or Olde English 800. I rate this 3.50. A superb cheap drunk. I like this and drink it every so often.

3.93/5  rDev +47.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I Honestly do not understand why this VERY good "Malt Liquor" gets so many Bad reviews..? I Myself have always enjoyed it a GR8 Deal ~it is crisp,refreshing,and has a very rich full flavor,maybe it's all the craft beer "Snobs" ...or perhaps the "Light Beer" drinkers who are just not used to a somewhat Full flavored semi strong beer that actually has some taste and body~it pours a nice straw,Golden colour,with plenty of carbonation & a pillowy white head,that even leaves a nice lacing around your beer glass of choice...I Know a lot of people slam ALL Malt Liquors,but it's just "Strong Beer" people,Even though @ 5.9 ABV "Schlitz O.M.L" really does not pack that much of a Punch,I just drink it because it taste awesome to me,and judging from a LOT of the reviews here I am NOT Alone in my love of this tasty beverage~it's just too bad that so many people do not give "Malt Liquors" in General a chance,and think all of it is just Cheap Crap that taste like shit,the Real Truth is that a lot of Malt Liquors are VERY Good Beers,if you happen to enjoy a full bodied,rich,American Strong Beer that actually taste like a REAL Beer~Cheers;)

4.46/5  rDev +67%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I became introduced to Schlitz Malt Liquor 35 years ago as a teen. It was the drink of my older brother. After trying different beers over the years, I found myself returning and sticking to the Bull. The taste is smooth and original. I find it like an energy drink. I drink it during my softball tournaments and stay energized. It doesn't leave the aftertaste as other high priced beers does. It is not considered as a quick drunk beer to me and my sports friends. It is the beer of choice, and trust me we can afford any beer out there, but we prefer our Bull.

4.23/5  rDev +58.4%

Appearance is yellow color

Smell : Schlitz Malt Liquor smells like a malt liquor

Taste: This beer has character to it ! It is not off putting to taste to it or no taste. The taste has a light grainy sweetness to it actually balanced off with -grassy hop bitterness . It is not overly sweet like some malt liquors.

mouthfeel : Nice body with great carbonation

Schlitz malt liquor is one top malt liquors out there for taste and value on market. This beer beats out 99 percent lagers out there. It is well made beer with great value. Majority of people have a perception malt liquor is cheap and ghetto drank! This is far from the truth of Schlitz malt liquor which is high quality with awesome price to it. Some people will never get over their small minded out look on life and beer !

The taste has a light grainy sweetness to it actually balanced with a wisp of piney-grassy hop bitterness and flavour. This is a little less grain-tasting, sweet, and full-bodied than some, like

4.49/5  rDev +68.2%

this review is for all you beer snobs who actually poured this swill into a fucking glass!

AppeArance: blue silver.and black can with a badass bull, loks cool!
Smell: I don't know cause I didn't fucking
Taste: it taste pretty damn good for.a cheap ass malt licka!
Mouthfeel: it feels like a fucking beer in my mouth.
Overall: its a cheap buzz! The best commercial malt.liquor available. Its cheap! It doesn't taste like shit(miller lite) its nearly 6%, when you cant afford a damn stout or ipa or tripel wtf ever man drink some fuckin malt licka for.a cheap buzz ! Hoggie I love you!!!$

4.3/5  rDev +61%

Appearance: Light yellow/straw color, with a frothy, white head. The beer leaves some nice lacing.

Aroma: smells a lot like P.B.R., but less grassy. Corn adjunct sweetness dominating the aroma.

Taste: Sweet; corn; grain; a grassy bitterness from the hops; fruit; and white bread—in that order.

Finish: dry, crisp, refreshing.

Mouthfeel: A nice balance for the style: light and watery, but not too light and watery.

Overall: I got the last 12 pack in my local Ingles, and it isn't restocking. And sadly, I've never seen it anywhere else in person. This is a great go-to/daily beer, but I have a feeling I may not see it again for a long time. There is nothing offensive about this beer. Nor is it the case that the beer is lacking in aroma, Flavor, or body.

3.09/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 40 into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours from the clear bottle into the glass as a light golden/straw color with a big billowy white head. The head fades has a fantastic level of retention, fading to leave a lighter level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is very light overall and consists mainly of some corn and skunky smells with a little bit of a grainy aroma.

Taste – A sweet corny and malty taste greets the tongue. It is rather smooth upfront with some light graininess coming to the tongue more toward the middle of the taste. A caramel flavor comes to the tongue more at this time as well keeping a rather sweet taste in the brew. Toward the end a light paper and metallic taste comes to the tongue leaving a sweet and lightly bready taste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is rather average with a carbonation level that is on the average side as well. Appropriate for the style as it is both drinkable but yet still decently thick enough to allow for the sweet corny and light grainy flavors to be sensed by the tongue without being too thick and accentuating the more off flavors (paper and a little bit of metal).

Overall – It fits the malt character rather well. While not a flavor powerhouse and even with some light off flavors, it is quite cheap (paid $2.29 for a 40) and still very drinkable. Not too bad.

3.75/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Okay, so this beer is tossed in with all of the ghetto brews, some of which cause the worst bitter beer face while you are dirnking them. they are high alcohol and taste like crap but you swallow them down, not for the taste, but for the sole purpose of getting hammered.

During my college years when my monthly beer budget was 1% what it is today, my choices were limited to the ghetto brew aisle. I tried just about everything until i found the Schlitz 32s for 89 cents. 15 years later, I still drink this beer along with a ton of "ooh la la" stuff, and still love it. Sometimes when serving at home I will pour some into a glass and give it to a guest and almost everyone likes it, their jaws drop when I tell them it was Schlitz malt liquor.

Bottom line, don't let the label and aggressive ghetto targeted marketing fool you, this is a good beer, especially for the price.

3.17/5  rDev +18.7%

What do you get when you combine an impromptu road trip, an inevitable gas station stop, & insatiable curiosity? Well, in this case you get me reviewing Schlitz Blue Bull.

Pint can from a so-cheap-it's-nuts 4-pack cracked open for glass. Highly carbonated yellow, maybe a centimeter of white thick head come up & then goes poof, though the lacing is still there. Smell reminds me of apple, plus sweet corn (if "corn" is a surprise, honestly, malt liquor is not for you), though in a way not annoying at all. Think sweet corn in the sense of the kind you can get at the fair or something, not a bad thing really.

So how does it taste? Let's find out:

Pale malt (as in actual malt) comes through in a way normally not associated with these, along with what the smell already notes to. Subtle still though. The carbonation actually calms down to make it go down as richer than you'd think.

This is going to sound like sacrilege here, but this is a good beer. If this were available where I actually live, it'd be a regular when I wasn't holding craft money. Lawnmower steez for places where lawns don't grow that well.

3.42/5  rDev +28.1%

I had $5, thats all my wife left me when she went to work lol. So, I saw the 18 oz bottles of this for $0.99 at the local beverage barn. So, i bought four of them. i got them all nice and cold and sat down to watch my Rangers piss away the AL West to the Oakland A's. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It was very good. It went down very smoothly and tasted pretty damn good. I like it better than any other Schlitz beer. But, i wished I had more to drown my sorrows of the rangers choking away the division. i will buy this beer again.

3.41/5  rDev +27.7%

24 oz can = $1.59 here in Durham NC

24oz x 2 poured into my 52oz Coors Light plastic pitcher i stole from Pizza Hut years ago and drink directly from....i make Youtube vids with it.

also shotgunned tasted the same as drinking it normally...slightly a hint of Heineken skunk but not bad.

Smooth going better very cold as most malt liquors do..

Its not too bad when it begins to warm up either,it gets slightly sweeter.

If you hate malt liquor....then dont go there.

3.43/5  rDev +28.5%

Golden, brownish beer with a thick, foamy head that dissolves slowly. Smells of sweet corn and musty grain. Taste is super sweet, like sugar water with some hints of adjuncts. None of the musty, metallic flavor you get with some malt liquors. Seriously though, is this blended with corn syrup? It's more like a sweet tea than beer.

3.38/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served ice cold in a frosted glass mug. Pours the color of straw with a thick, two finger length white head. Some nice, sticky lacing is left on the side of the glass. Plenty of tiny bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom of the glass. The beer smells like grains. I can detect the corn in the aroma. There is a nice mild grainy sweetness to this beer. The malt and corn come through with some mild hop bitterness in the back end. The alcohol isn't that detectable in the taste. The body is light to medium with plentiful carbonation. This beer is smooth. The drinkability is very good good. Overall, this is a good beer for the price. I picked up an 18 ounce bottle for 99 cents at a gas station, so if you're looking for a malt liquor, this one is worth a try.

1.99/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured a few ounces into a juice glass for color and smell. The rest was consumed out of the bottle.

A - pale golden yellow with a thin lacing of soft, white head that leaves a thin lacing

S - grains, metal, corn, alcohol

T - grainy, apples, metal, corn, sweet, alcohol

M - warm, crisp, lightly bodied

This is pretty foul. It has a warm, metallic, grainy taste that's incredibly displeasing. I admit that I bought this more for a cheap buzz than anything else, but I'll steer clear in the future.

2.6/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a pale golden color with a bubbly head. Scent is that of cheap grassy grains. Drinks fine with a sweet, grainy taste but the after taste goes south leaving a chalky, dry finish. Thin in texture and drinks as fast as water. Not something I would buy again, but at least it was an average quality malt liquor that was better than others I have had.

3.33/5  rDev +24.7%

16oz can....pale clear yellow lots of bubbles and good white foamy head thats dissappears quickly...i can smell a faint scent of hops which is rare for a cheap malt liqour. tastes a
lil sweet with an alcoholic finish...not much else. Mouthfeel is kinda light and watery with a lot of carbonation. overall probably the best malt liqour ive had, And ive had most of them...very drinkable

1.92/5  rDev -28.1%

Had this in a can - well, it’s what was available. Aroma is weak, wan and malty. It pours a very uninspiring clear pale yellow; at least the white head is fairly thick. Flavor is malty and a little fruity, actually better than I expected but still not much. Then again, I have been spoiled rotten by craft brews. Texture is smooth but hardly fizzy at all - I’ve drunk soymilk that left more of a tingle. I guess you have to drink swill occasionally so you can better appreciate the real stuff.

2.1/5  rDev -21.3%

My last stop on the bad beer train. Picked up the Blue Bull at a gas station here. Drank straight from the can.

Tastes like summer in college playing beer pong. Overly sweet taste that hides everything but the inevitable drunkenness at the end of the can. Not too much to say. This is pretty typical of malt liquors. I can't think of many redeeming things to say about this one. Aroma is faint, taste is not that great, feel is kind of watery. Overall a middle of the road malt liquor, which is to say stay the hell away.

This beer was the epitome of average. It's got the classic cheap beer taste and not much else. This is what your alcoholic uncle's breath smells like. I'm a fan of that bad beer flavour, but it's not usually what I expect from a malt liquor. I usually expect more corn in a malt liquor and maybe a bit of an alcohol taste. Maybe some unbalanced sweetness. Not here. This was super...duper...average. One good thing was the presence of hops for balance. That's odd, but kinda fun in a beer that often goes hopless. It's also nice to have that "bad beer" taste exacerbated more than most cheap "beers" tend to do (as opposed to malt liquors). I might go for this again if it's plain o' beer I want, but never again if I'm craving a malt liquor. Cuz that's just not what this tastes like.

2.09/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured from the original master cylinder, pale crystal clear golden straw hue with a pillowy snow white head that recedes quickly leaving ample lacing.
Sweet and corny dominate, slight alcohol whiff as well.
Sweet and corny again with some sharpness and an acride finish that is dry.
Very carbonated brew that really plays on the pallete.
Well you know the drill.

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)